Getting Out of Debt, March 2010 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 123 Old 03-01-2010, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
mtm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright everyone, let's spring into spring. We're 2 months into 2010 and getting our finances in shape! Most of us use Dave Ramsey's method but please join us even if you're following someone else/your own plan. All welcome!

Here's DR's plan:

These are the Baby Steps:

Pre-Step 1: Get current on your debts and do a budget
0.1 Commit to NEVER borrow $$$ again
0.2 Talk with spouse and get him/her on the same page as you concerning finances.
0.3 Do a written budget
0.4 Temporarily stop all retirement contributions
0.5 Get current on all the basics (Shelter, Food, Utilities, Basic clothing)
0.6 Amputate "toys" (bikes, boats, ATV's etc) if they will keep you from completing the snowball within 12 months
0.7 Cut lifestyle (Cut CATV, Cellphone, Regular phone "extra's", Internet, Eating out, etc) and/or take second job if $1000 EF will take more than 30-90 days.
0.8 Get current on ALL bills

BS1 $1,000 to start an Emergency Fund
1.1 Chop up/freeze CC's (You have an EF now)
1.2 Get Health insurance NOW if in the US (chances of getting sick w/ major medical bills are larger than that of death)
1.3 Get Life insurance NOW if you have considerable debt/your family couldn't make it financially if you died.
1.4 Amputate cars that you can't pay off within 24 months
1.5 Consider raising insurance deductables to $500 or $1000

BS2 Pay off all debt using the Debt Snowball
2.0 Do the debt snowball, paying all your debts from lowest BALANCE to highest.
2.1 You can take your first vacation since finding Dave if you can pay cash for it (no using the EF !!!)

BS3 Three to six months of expenses in savings
3.1 Start car replacement fund
3.2 Save up 20% for home purchase OR pay down existing mortgage to the point you can drop PMI.
3.3 Start furniture or other non-essential stuff replacement fund

BS4 Invest 15 percent of household income for retirement

BS5 College funding for children

BS6 Pay off home early

BS7 Build wealth and give! Invest in mutual funds and real estate

Here's the link to Dave Ramsey's website:

www.daveramsey.com

Please join us!
#2 of 123 Old 03-01-2010, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
mtm

If you need added or removed from the list, or I got your details wrong just let me know and I'll fix it.

Pre-Step 1
anstar
BelovedK
BonnieNova
chanibell
dfunk98
Gray's_Mommy
greenmom4
kittywitty
lactivistmama
luckybamboo
madsommer
Miasmamma
papayapetunia
proudmamanow
Stephenie

BS#1: Save up $1000
2lilsweetfoxes
annettemarie
Contrariety
CookiePie
crunchymomof2
dex_millie
Evenstar
fairydust020409
JamieB
JenniferH
JustKiya
Kaitnbugsmom
Krisis
Ksenia
lakeruby
lj2blessed
mamabain
mommaknowsbest
neveryoumindthere
NWmt_Mama
prana
Sihaya
teenyToona
Tryingforbaby

BS#2: Pay off all Debt (except the mortgage)
100%Mom
AAK
AFwife
AllieFaye
astar326
Belia
Bluegoat
canuckgal
claddaghmom
Cody'smomma
ColoradoMama
Contrariety
corrie43
cparkly
cymbeline
Deir
eirual
excitedtobeamom
FeelingBlessed
FiveLittleMonkeys
goldfishkate
HappyMommy2
Hedgehog_Mtn
herwitsend
hollytheteacher
indie
jeliphish
jjawm
kavita
Keeta
killick
kings5queens4
KnittingKara
ktg
lalaland42
laohaire
Leav97
LittleBirdy
lizziebits
Livi's_Mama
llamalluv
LZP
major_mama11
mamabain
MamaPam
MamatoWill
mamimapster
mich
MyTwoAs
my2girlz
Nickarolaberry
okapi
onlygirls
onthemove
Pernillep
p1gg1e
PluggingAway
proudmamanow
Resque
RoadWorkAhead
samandhenrysmom
shllywlly
smallmama
stellarae
sweetjasmine
thenaturefreak
Tradd
tricia80
triscuitsmom
tynme
twin_mama
whiddle
willew

BS#3: Build up to 3-6 months of savings
akichan
annethcz
beansmama
Crunchy*VT*Mom
Denvergirlie
MomtoWilmo
mammamo
maryjane
MCsMom
mtm
Nora_SEA
phatui5
phillytwinmama
PPK
Rev1053
sarafi
sparkprincess
Stone_Fence
yasinsmama

BS#4

BS#5
Maluhia

BS#6
kanga1622
rebeccalynn
Sarah8Jane
Softmama
#3 of 123 Old 03-01-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
mtm

We had lots of movement out of bs2 last month so if you need to be moved to a new category, let me know!
#4 of 123 Old 03-01-2010, 03:29 PM

Happy March everyone! Congrats to those who have made the jump to a new babystep during the month.

As I've done for the last two months, I'm putting my percentage towards BS2 completion. At the beginning of February, my goal was to be at 9% of BS2 completion, up from 5.7%. However, we ended up fully funding our sinking funds and writing a $10,000 check for a new air conditioner/heat pump unit for our house, which really slowed down our BS2 progress.

So as of today, we are only up to 6.5% of goal. I feel like we had a bad month because we didn't make much progress but I have to remind myself that we paid cash for a $10,000 air conditioner that barely made it through last summer. If we'd taken that $10k and put it on our BS2 debt, we'd be at 21% of goal (yes, our BS2 # is ginormous!).

I just did our budget for this month and my plan is to be at 9% by 4/1. My husband doesn't get another commission check until May so we won't see a big jump in pay down until then.
#5 of 123 Old 03-01-2010, 03:46 PM

Happy March!
I've been on his journey since 10/2008 and we have paid out ~$17,000 in debts. We are about a third of the way out of debt, looking forward to two more years of this if all goes as planned.

I'm trying to stay focused because it is going to be fantastic to be out of debt but it is hard.

We are celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary this year with a trip to New Orleans as a reward for how far we've come. It has been so hard to go 16 months without a vacation and to expect us to make it 24 months more, we'd probably fall off the wagon all together. We love to travel and truly got this far into debt by taking out student loans and traveling overseas.
#6 of 123 Old 03-01-2010, 06:13 PM

Still here and still chugging away! Good news - we have paid off DH's SL with our tax returns!! WOOT!

In other news - February as a whole was a bust of a month. We fell off the wagon, then the wagon ran us over several times. We didn't add to our debt, but we didn't stop from grabbing $$ from our ER account.

For March - both DH & I are recommitting to getting this job done and sticking to our budgets and menus.

We have just the remaining 2 CC balances to clear out, which is I want to say ... 19k which should take a bit of effort because effective May 1st I have to start contributing to my 403b plan as required by my employer.

I'll pop back and update the exact %age of debt we cleared and how much left to go.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#7 of 123 Old 03-01-2010, 06:24 PM

oops sorry I posted on the wrong thread!!
ktg -great about paying back your DH's SL, that must feel great.

What method have you used for keeping your $1000 emergency fund safe? I read Dave's story of the woman who frames the money behind glass, which is cute, but seriously, what methods have people found to be effective? ($ hidden somewhere, money market fund)

mamabain, that's amazing progress you've made so far!!

As I posted to the February thread (oops), we just got a cheque for $874 in the mail as a refund for some benefits claims. I am so pleased we can now use this to start our emergency fund.

By Wednesday I should have our whole budget laid out with all of our debts & our goals. I plan to post it it here for your input, if that's okay.

I've also been thinking that we should be trying to sell a bunch of old baby stuff, toys etc. over ebay or craigslist, rather than donating them like we usually would. Has anyone had any luck with this?

Thanks for all the great support & inspiration!
#8 of 123 Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 PM

Reposting part of my post from the February thread:

Hi Ktg, good luck with the one-car thing. We dropped our 2nd car before Christmas & I haven't honestly missed it except for maybe once. I commute by bus and will also be biking when it's a bit warmer
I only wish we had found Dave Ramsey when we sold our car, then maybe we would have used the $2000 on paying down debt instead of spending at Christmas!

Sigh. We have started the slightly intimidating pre-step budgeting process. It feels really good, in a dumping cold water on your head sort of way, to actually finally be budgeting realistically. We made a huge list of all the big extras we know we have to spend on this year...which is the source of our debt and our problems (things like tax bills, Christmas, birhtday gifts for girls, girls activities etc.). It feels good to stare all this hidden stuff in the face, though we're sort of panicking about starting this off Wednesday (my next payday) and still dealing with two birthdays in the next two months...we love parties and our older dd wants to be a party planner so parties are kind of a big deal for us. We do always do them at our house & make the food & do homemade crafts & games, but it can still get $$$.
So how do we deal with big expenses we know are coming soon when we haven't had time to plan for them? I want to be following the planning to spend system someone outlined (and that is outlined in TMMO which I got from the library) but it's hard when dd2's birthday is in 4 weeks, I can't really put much aside for that.

Enough whining though, I am feeling really really good about once and for all getting this stuff under control. I feel like if we dedicate ourselves to steps one two and three then my dreams of going back to school and/or finding different work will actually be achievable....
#9 of 123 Old 03-01-2010, 07:36 PM

Happy March!! I have not posted here often but do read. I really need help with the next phase. We have finished BS#2 though and are on to savings so mtm can you please move me to BS3? thanks and I do hope it stays that way!! No more CC! In fact we are closing the account (finally).
Keep up the good work everyone!
#10 of 123 Old 03-01-2010, 07:56 PM

I'm here although I was MIA for Feb. I finally had my baby!

I desperately need some advice for some financial decisions but I need to have uninterrupted thinking time to type it all up.

Sara
#11 of 123 Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmamanow View Post
ktg -great about paying back your DH's SL, that must feel great.

What method have you used for keeping your $1000 emergency fund safe? I read Dave's story of the woman who frames the money behind glass, which is cute, but seriously, what methods have people found to be effective? ($ hidden somewhere, money market fund)
Thank you! It does feel great, but it did not justify the crazy spending we did in February. Its like we just up and took a vacation from our budget. Our ER fund is just another savings account we have in the bank. Normally we do not touch it at all. With this paycheck we've paid it all back already, but it stinks because we can't use of surplus we have to pay something else down instead. Lose/Lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmamanow View Post
Sigh. We have started the slightly intimidating pre-step budgeting process. It feels really good, in a dumping cold water on your head sort of way, to actually finally be budgeting realistically. We made a huge list of all the big extras we know we have to spend on this year...which is the source of our debt and our problems (things like tax bills, Christmas, birhtday gifts for girls, girls activities etc.). It feels good to stare all this hidden stuff in the face, though we're sort of panicking about starting this off Wednesday (my next payday) and still dealing with two birthdays in the next two months...we love parties and our older dd wants to be a party planner so parties are kind of a big deal for us. We do always do them at our house & make the food & do homemade crafts & games, but it can still get $$$.
So how do we deal with big expenses we know are coming soon when we haven't had time to plan for them? I want to be following the planning to spend system someone outlined (and that is outlined in TMMO which I got from the library) but it's hard when dd2's birthday is in 4 weeks, I can't really put much aside for that.
We have a series of sinking funds/accounts for our big ticket things (birthdays/holidays/house/repairs etc). As for the here and now, just spend what you can comfortably in your budget, birthdays are more remembered for the fun vs. the gifts IMO. Good luck with the budgeting - we're still tweaking ours (see February - the un-budget month) and how to deal with things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
I'll pop back and update the exact %age of debt we cleared and how much left to go.
Ok the official #s are:
DH SL: $5,613.00
CC#1: $11,335.00
CC#2: $6,447.00
Total Debt (without my SL): $23,395

So by paying off DH SL - that was 23.9% of our debt. Leaving us a grand total of....$17,782.00 Holy Smokes! Next up in my sights - CC#2, blam-o!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#12 of 123 Old 03-01-2010, 10:29 PM

Hi! Can I join? I've been lurking on mothering and in this forum for a long time! It's you ladies that really inspired me to get our debt under control.

Let's see, here's our basics:

We are on BS2.
We have about $22,000 in credit card debt. Yikes.
We owe $17,000 on one car, and $0 on mine. Let's just say I was Dave Ramsey-ing things long before I was coupled... I've never bought a car NOT using cash!
We also owe student loans... but I have no idea how much. This is another thing I brought to the relationship... no student loans. So I should probably figure out how much those are, although we're still accumulating them... he is set to graduate college (at the ripe old age of 31) next winter.
Then there's the mortgage.

The good news is that I have a very stable job, and he works as a server as he finishes up school. His degree will be in accounting, so hopefully he will have alright prospects once he finishes. Who knows. In the meantime, his BEING a server makes budgeting VERY tricky, but in the past six months we have paid off one whole credit card, paid a large hospital bill, and made decent headway on second smallest card. (Three in all).

I'm excited to join you ladies!

angel1.gif 03/11 angel1.gif 07/11 angel1.gif 01/12 

If at first you don't succeed: babyboy.gif 07/26/13

#13 of 123 Old 03-02-2010, 12:55 AM

okay so we have finished working out our budget, with $ for all the sinking funds we would like. And we are currently planning to spend $1038 more than our income. So that's bad.

hmmmmm no wonder we're in debt! so now what? When I have a chance I will post our budget on here to be critiqued (or on another thread)....I'm thinking that we need to cut back on our sinking funds until we can free up money somewhere else...I will be back when we reconcile our budgets a bit more. yikes.

oh, in good news though, we now have our $1000 emergency fund so we can chop up our credit cards!
#14 of 123 Old 03-02-2010, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
March is seeing us much more back on track after the kitchen reno de-railment. We still have a few finishing touches to do, but all the big stuff is done. We have to return $725 to our emergency fund from that little detour, so it's back to BS1 for us!

It should only be a matter of weeks though and our tax return will help and then some. In order for us to rent our house out for May (and move in with my parents for a few months before heading out East) we have to do about another $500 worth of house repairs but by moving out and drastically cutting our living expenses it will save us almost $4,500 over those 3 mos. I'm trying to remember not to out do ourselves with the renos- especially with flooring which almost always gets horrid after renting. Even considering just painting what we already have down (some old-school vinyl/lenoleum?) instead of trying to put anything new down. You kind of want it to be perfect before handing it over, but at the same time I have to remember they probably won't appreciate it as much as I would, so not to go overboard. It will be what it will be!

This month, I've better categorized our outgoing expenses on our budget: online bills/automatic withdraws sorted by date taken out, DH's responsibilities/cash, envelopes, sinking funds, with lots of blank spaces for life to happen. I'm liking it. Last month we were budgeting for something, but insurance came out earlier than we thought it would. Made me realize even though it all evens out at the end of the month, I needed to get on the ball and keep track of specific dates.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#15 of 123 Old 03-02-2010, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes'sBeth View Post
okay so we have finished working out our budget, with $ for all the sinking funds we would like. And we are currently planning to spend $1038 more than our income. So that's bad.

hmmmmm no wonder we're in debt! so now what? When I have a chance I will post our budget on here to be critiqued (or on another thread)....I'm thinking that we need to cut back on our sinking funds until we can free up money somewhere else...I will be back when we reconcile our budgets a bit more. yikes.

oh, in good news though, we now have our $1000 emergency fund so we can chop up our credit cards!
I haven't managed to sink yet. I think once we get out of debt and get our living expenses down a bit that it will be much more manageable. Right now, I just don't see how it can work. I guess I have to realize too that anything set aside is better than nothing...

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#16 of 123 Old 03-02-2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
In other news - February as a whole was a bust of a month. We fell off the wagon, then the wagon ran us over several times. We didn't add to our debt, but we didn't stop from grabbing $$ from our ER account.
Same here!! I've had a BAD case of the wanties. Plus DP's pay was cut so that hurt. He should be making more here soon but I"m not sure when. So that put a damper in saving.

I'm currently on BS2 but technically I'm just saving up $$ to pay off the motorcycle until I know for sure that DP has work for the foreseeable future. Which it's looking pretty good. It's sure going to be hard to part with $13,000 at one time though Then after that happens sometime in April or May (depending on how good I do with not spending ) we will just have the student loan left for around $5,000 which if all goes well would be paid by the end of the summer. I don't know though, I may just not DR it and save some more $$ in the FFEF before I pay that off. Just to feel secure. It's not like the SL is accumulating any interest really, just a couple bucks a month. I think I would feel better having more than just $1,000 in savings. So we'll see. But the bike is definitely going. And that's the last time I let DP talk me into letting him buy something on credit!!

Oh, I also wanted to say how much I am ADORING mint.com. So awesome if you use a debit card and want an easy way to keep track of things. Just one more way for me to obsess over every last penny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Wilmo View Post
Happy March!! I have not posted here often but do read. I really need help with the next phase. We have finished BS#2 though and are on to savings so mtm can you please move me to BS3? thanks and I do hope it stays that way!! No more CC! In fact we are closing the account (finally).
Keep up the good work everyone!
Awesome!! Congrats on that step, must feel great!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#17 of 123 Old 03-02-2010, 01:15 PM

OK, I'm joining again this month! Still on Baby Step Two. I haven't posted here the past couple months due to feeling really, really discouraged about our finances. DH's work (a small family business) has been going through a bad time, and for several weeks he wasn't getting paychecks, due to them being totally broke. The company is broke enough that we also lost our health insurance last month. Combine that with the fact that I was cancelled from all but 6 hours of my own work in January, and it was a pretty grim month...

Just when I was getting really down (I even went and got us on WIC, since I didn't know how long this dry spell would last), I found out that my workplace finally approved for me to cross-train in another department. I have been bugging them about this for months, and I found it interesting that they got back with me about it right when I was on the verge of starting to apply for other jobs.

The cross-training adds 12 hours per week to my paycheck, and also we are in the busy season at work now, so I am suddenly getting more than enough hours, which is an awesome change from December and January... DH is continuing to have to work a reduced, 3- or 4-day work week, but for the time being, my extra income from being extra busy at work is making up for his missed income, and then some.

BS1 $1,000 to start an Emergency Fund- DONE

BS2 Pay off all debt using the Debt Snowball - Plugging away. $10, 360 remaining on car loan, ~$800 left on DH's credit card, which he ran back up over Christmas.

BS3 Three to six months of expenses in savings- 63% complete- had to dip into this fund in January to buy groceries, which was discouraging, but I suppose that's what it's there for, right?

BS4 Invest 15 percent of household income for retirement- DH contributes 4% of our income to this regardless of how tight things are.

BS5 College funding for children

BS6 Pay off home early

BS7 Build wealth and give! Invest in mutual funds and real estate

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#18 of 123 Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 PM

Still at BS2 and will be there for quite some time especially because dh wants to buy a NEW car before the current one is paid off. He wants to make sure it still has a good trade-in value. The good news is that we will some money come our way this year which should make for a good down payment on the new one.

The first half of this year is a bear what with one thing and another coming up; several high school graduations in both mine and dh's families, a mess of stepkids and grandkids birthdays, another grandbaby on the way next month, etc. All happy occasions of course but involving obligatory spending.
#19 of 123 Old 03-02-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_mama11 View Post

BS1 $1,000 to start an Emergency Fund- DONE

BS2 Pay off all debt using the Debt Snowball - Plugging away. $10, 360 remaining on car loan, ~$800 left on DH's credit card, which he ran back up over Christmas.

BS3 Three to six months of expenses in savings- 63% complete- had to dip into this fund in January to buy groceries, which was discouraging, but I suppose that's what it's there for, right?
How about paying off DH's CC ( MAKE HIM CLOSE IT!!) ? Can you sell the car with a payment and buy a cheap car with some of your EF? I know it sounds counter productive but it will have you stop paying interest to others and you can live on less. Then sock away those payments you were making back into the ffef as much as you can.

Hope things pick up soon!
#20 of 123 Old 03-02-2010, 02:27 PM

We moved into our new home...other then that little murphy Jr. has been moved in a late.

We have 300 left on our van to pay off and $1800 on DH SL. Hopefully we will be done with BS #2 in a month or so ( long term home buyer credit is on its way!)
#21 of 123 Old 03-02-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma View Post
Same here!! I've had a BAD case of the wanties. Plus DP's pay was cut so that hurt. He should be making more here soon but I"m not sure when. So that put a damper in saving.
I know - DH & I went through all the expenses and it was just laughable, lots of lunches, or dinners out. Splurges for more groceries instead of just making what we had... just plain evil.

#22 of 123 Old 03-02-2010, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
mtm

MyTwoAs, I really think you need to look at Feb as a success, paid cash for your a/c is a big victory. Its not always about seeing the amount of debt going down but also about changing behaviour and not reaching for a card to pay for a big home reno is success.

mamabain, I think going away for your anniversary at this point is a good idea. Obviously I would recommend doing it on a budget but you've been making such good progress and the thought of 2 more years with no extras would be too hard to sustain. I'd go, recharge with your dh, enjoy your time off and then come back itching to pay off the rest.

_ktg_ no more student loan is great news! Now put that money back in your ER fund before murphy notices its gone.

proudmamanow, I keep 1000 in a local bank so I can easily access it and then keep more in ing that is harder to reach. Good job putting that cheque towards the ef. Do post your budget, a fresh set of eyes helps a lot. I do an annual budget where I write down the extraordinary stuff and the month its due so I don't forget stuff, mine has taxes, Christmas, gifts, dental, car insurance, camping etc. Then I have a budget line to cover them, this month I had x for property taxes built in.

Mom2Wilmo, congrats on finishing bs2! Do post your story so we can all cheer you on! My best advice for bs3 is to take what you were spending on debt repayment and automate it so it goes straight to bs3 and doesn't seep away.

Hedgehog Mtn, will you link us to the new babe details please

Welcome Resque, glad you came out of lurkdom. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help you get started. I wouldn't worry about the student loans or mortgage while dh is still in school, just get started on the emergency fund and then tackle those ccs.

Jes'sBeth, ouch. I think either the sinking funds have to be cut way down or income has to go up. Do you need all the sinking funds started right away? I kept mine to bare minimum in bs2 and am now opening them up a bit in bs4. Do post your budget/sinking funds and we'll give our advice. Have fun cutting up your cards!

cody'smomma, it will feel so good to throw that 13000 though. Scary to do but then its gone, another weight lifted.

major_mama11, I'm glad you're back. I was wondering how stuff was going with your dh's business. I'm sorry to hear you lost your health care, that scares the shit out of me. Good luck with the new job!

p1gg1e, so close on the van, are you plotting out your bs3 plans yet?

My dh is home from his birthday vacation and he came in 100 under budget so I'm happy. Now its back to funding a few sinking funds and building up bs4.
#23 of 123 Old 03-02-2010, 04:22 PM

Hi everyone. I used to be really active on this thread many months ago.

I can't really do the Dave plan now because I am barely making ends meet as it is. I am trying to get a second job but so far haven't been able to find one that can accomodate my other job.

But I would still like to post in here for support, if I could

I am Jaime, recently left my husband. I live with my parents now. All of my bills are medical right now. I am as gazelle as you can get I can't tell you the last time I bought something fun. I even used my gift cards my students gave me at Christmas to pay for groceries

I will add in a list of my debts later, I have to round them all up.

Thanks for letting me participate

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#24 of 123 Old 03-02-2010, 05:44 PM

We're "on hold" with the baby steps while we await the arrival of baby #3 in June.
#25 of 123 Old 03-02-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
Hi everyone. I used to be really active on this thread many months ago.

I can't really do the Dave plan now because I am barely making ends meet as it is. I am trying to get a second job but so far haven't been able to find one that can accomodate my other job.

But I would still like to post in here for support, if I could

I am Jaime, recently left my husband. I live with my parents now. All of my bills are medical right now. I am as gazelle as you can get I can't tell you the last time I bought something fun. I even used my gift cards my students gave me at Christmas to pay for groceries

I will add in a list of my debts later, I have to round them all up.

Thanks for letting me participate
Jaime! Welcome back! I've missed you around here. Sorry you've been going through tough times; hope you can find a second job quickly.

me, 28 & dh, 32.
#26 of 123 Old 03-02-2010, 06:23 PM

Didn't post last month but we are still here plugging away at BS2....kind of.

Dh and I agree that we need more $$$ in our EF to feel comfortable. So instead of $1000 in our EF, we plan to have $5000. Once that is funded, I will continue to throw our snowball at our car loan which is our last debt.

EF: 30%
BS2: 21%
#27 of 123 Old 03-02-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post

Hedgehog Mtn, will you link us to the new babe details please
I hadn't gotten around to posting it so I just went over and did it. He was born 1/11/10

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...1#post15136811

Sara
#28 of 123 Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 PM

This thread is moving really fast!

Feb as a whole wasn't as good as it could have been. We broke the budget in a couple of areas. The next couple of months won't make as much progress as the beginning of the year.

BS #2
CC 1 - 360
CC 2 - 3300
CC 3 - 5375
Med Bill 2 - 875
Car Loan - 12173
Medical bill 1 - Done
Signature loan - Done
#29 of 123 Old 03-03-2010, 05:34 PM

Hi there,
I accidentally posted using my dp's profile the other days, so this is actually my update
oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes'sBeth View Post

We revised our budget for the month and brought it down dramatically in several areas (most particularly the sinking funds) so that we are only $200 over our income.
In other good news, dp might be doing part time daycare out of our home two days per week starting shortly. She can both help out a friend in need and earn us an extra $400 a month, which would be a huge help right now! Keep your fingers crossed.
More later

Tonight's job will be to put it online and allocate it by pay period. We are both afraid to start spending before we have made the plan, lol.
#30 of 123 Old 03-04-2010, 01:21 AM

murphy strikes again! This time my glasses broke, actually this is the 3rd time they have broken, as the first 2 times I re-attached the bow with superglue.

This time not so much - I lost the screw to my right bow and then my left bow's superglue trick failed again. So now I am sporting an awesome tape job by DH with some electrical tape on my glasses.

Glasses cost - (with my insurance) $245 and I also bought an extra frame incase the other one starts to go, so I can switch my lenses into it easily. $100

This is an awesome start to March - in like a .... lion!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page