March 2010 Low Income Support Thread - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 165 Old 04-05-2010, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It's been over 2 weeks now - still haven't gotten the application in the mail for safelink. I just called the 800 line and it's not recognizing my enrollment ID

We use Magic Jack for long distance - I just need something I can carry with for emergencies and to call to check on DD with gramma.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 165 Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslyn View Post
We got rid of the house phone and cell phones, but we use Skype as our landline. Its $12 every 3 months for incoming calls and $2.95 a month for outgoing unlimited local and long distance. The only thing we can't call is 911 so we are applying for the safelink thing so we have that for emergency use.

As long as you can plug in a phone and get dial tone (even if its just tells you the line is not in service) you can still call 911 on that landline just like you can on cell phones that don't "work" (ie they power on but you dont pay for service so you can actually make calls)

Seriously?
#153 of 165 Old 04-05-2010, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Its April.....

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#154 of 165 Old 04-06-2010, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
As long as you can plug in a phone and get dial tone (even if its just tells you the line is not in service) you can still call 911 on that landline just like you can on cell phones that don't "work" (ie they power on but you dont pay for service so you can actually make calls)
We dont even get a dial tone when we plug in the phone to a jack

frugalmama: Did you reapply? We are going to apply for 1 mainly for 911 service but since I am 7 months pregnant, I think it would be nice to have just in case I am out and have an emergency.

Has anyone noticed that pay-phones are a dying breed? The closest 1 to us is about 10 miles..everyone has cell phones now *grumble grumble*

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain
#155 of 165 Old 04-06-2010, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
Its April.....
You should go start it.

Resistance is futile Matey
#156 of 165 Old 04-06-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslyn View Post
We dont even get a dial tone when we plug in the phone to a jack

frugalmama: Did you reapply? We are going to apply for 1 mainly for 911 service but since I am 7 months pregnant, I think it would be nice to have just in case I am out and have an emergency.

Has anyone noticed that pay-phones are a dying breed? The closest 1 to us is about 10 miles..everyone has cell phones now *grumble grumble*
Not yet - I called the 1-800 number for them tonight - after nearly an hour on hold I finally got someone in India {no offense to anyone of that ethnicity - I just don't understand the accent} who said that it hadn't been 5 business days yet. Funny - I counted at least 7 business days since April 24th.

So I'm going to give it another week, and then reapply if nothing shows up. Our mail service is terrible and we often don't get our mail, so it could have been mailed and delivered elsewhere.

And yes - payphones are a dying breed. The ONLY one near me now is inside a store and put in by the store, which is only open M-F 9-6, and Sat 12-4. They've taken all the others out in the last month.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#157 of 165 Old 04-06-2010, 02:52 AM

got another question - anyone know if you can buy slim-fast products on food stamps?

I haven't tried to buy them yet and was curious to know if I can on food stamps. Some days I just don't feel like eating thanks to constant nausea from galbladder issues, and they were recommended to get some nutrition in me on those days.

#158 of 165 Old 04-06-2010, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I would think you could get ensure, and I know you can get carnation instant breakfast. We recently got that for dd, for days when we're on the go and I want to make sure that she gets some nutrition no matter what. Honestly those would probably be healthier options for you too.

We have a wic appointment this Thursday. I'm suprised they got us in so quickly.
#159 of 165 Old 04-06-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
got another question - anyone know if you can buy slim-fast products on food stamps?

I haven't tried to buy them yet and was curious to know if I can on food stamps. Some days I just don't feel like eating thanks to constant nausea from galbladder issues, and they were recommended to get some nutrition in me on those days.
Yes. you can buy any nutritional supplements. But I buy Slim Fast and Slim fast bars on weeks I know I'll be busy.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#160 of 165 Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirliknew View Post
Yes. you can buy any nutritional supplements. But I buy Slim Fast and Slim fast bars on weeks I know I'll be busy.
I buy Clif Bars and Lara Bars on FS, but I can't buy vitamins or herbs.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#161 of 165 Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirliknew View Post
I can't buy protein powder on FS at my local grocery store. I would have thought it would fall under "nutritional supplements". At my local store, FS eligible products are noted by an "F" next to them on a receipt and non eligible products have and "X" or "T" next to them. I think those are the symbols, but the items are designated in some way on the receipt which makes it easier for me to look and figure out for future visits.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#162 of 165 Old 04-06-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I buy Clif Bars and Lara Bars on FS, but I can't buy vitamins or herbs.
Maybe I used the wrong word... Meal replacements... That's what I meant.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#163 of 165 Old 04-06-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandcastle View Post
I can't buy protein powder on FS at my local grocery store. I would have thought it would fall under "nutritional supplements". At my local store, FS eligible products are noted by an "F" next to them on a receipt and non eligible products have and "X" or "T" next to them. I think those are the symbols, but the items are designated in some way on the receipt which makes it easier for me to look and figure out for future visits.
Hmm. I bought protein powder last week on it...

#164 of 165 Old 04-07-2010, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

April thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1212567

Resistance is futile Matey
#165 of 165 Old 04-07-2010, 07:39 AM

I think the protein powder and bars may depend on how the store classifies them. I have bought it before at one store and it went through, but it doesn't at the main grocery store that I go to. I found a good sale/clearance of some powder at 50% off and bought some to get me through the rest of the pregnancy. Oh well, I won't have to buy anymore for a while.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page