March 2010 Low Income Support Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For old times sake I started the March thread.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet.
Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened,
vision cleared, ambition inspired and success achieved
- Helen Keller

Often people attempt to live their lives backwards:
they try to have more things, or more money,
in order to do more of what they want so they will be happier.
The way it actually works is the reverse.
You must first be who you really are, then, do what you need to do,
in order to have what you want.
- Margaret Young

Remove those 'I want you to like me' stickers from your forehead
and, instead, place them where they truly will do the most good --
on your mirror!
- Susan Jeffers

Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.
Life is beauty, admire it.
Life is bliss, taste it.
Life is a dream, realize it.
Life is a challenge, meet it.
Life is a duty, complete it.
Life is a game, play it.
Life is a promise, fulfill it.
Life is sorrow, overcome it.
Life is a song, sing it.
Life is a struggle, accept it.
Life is a tragedy, confront it.
Life is an adventure, dare it.
Life is luck, make it.
Life is too precious, do not destroy it.
Life is life, fight for it.

Mother Teresa

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Mamas}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}}}}}

Resistance is futile Matey
#2 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

The old threads are still the most posted on and viewed threads in F&F history.

#3 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
The old threads are still the most posted on and viewed threads in F&F history.
I don't know if I should be sad that there's so many of us in this position or proud that so many mama's have come together to support each other.

Seriously?
#4 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
I don't know if I should be sad that there's so many of us in this position or proud that so many mama's have come together to support each other.

I know.

Ok the old threads hold the #1, #4, #11 and #15 position on the first page.

Man it feels like a million years ago and just yesterday at the same time. It's weird.

#5 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

I hope March and all of 2010 bring more luck and happiness for everyone. It seems that the last year has been much harder than normal for so many that I know.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}

#6 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 03:55 AM

Thanks for the new thread.... How's the college chosing going?

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#7 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Thanks for the new thread.... How's the college chosing going?

Pretty well. Ofcourse if your old schools would send more than one "official" transcript at a time it would go alot faster when applying to more than one place!

#8 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 09:47 AM

Happy March, all
Please, please, please let March be better than February was (beg)

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#9 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
Pretty well. Ofcourse if your old schools would send more than one "official" transcript at a time it would go alot faster when applying to more than one place!
haha.. well.. I rooting for you guys to go to the U Did you look more into Utah State? I noticed that the first round of scholarships has passed but you would still be considered until April.. it would be awesome to have some crunchy MDC mamas around!

#10 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 11:58 AM

I don't know if I mentioned this yet, but DH got a job! It's only PT, but it is perfect because he can still help me with the kids while I struggle through this semester.. I have to write 6-8 papers a WEEK, plus math!

I found an awesome preschool I am going to try to get DS1 into when I start school again in the Fall in our new town. It's an immersion Spanish/English school and it's only $220 a month, plus they say they have financial aid for those who qualify (I am sure we would qualify!). The teachers are also university teachers where we will be attending college. Cross your fingers for me that we can get him into it! Then I will just have to find childcare for DS2 who will be just over 1.

#11 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 11:59 AM

hello mama's! wondering if i may join in?
#12 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I found an awesome preschool I am going to try to get DS1 into when I start school again in the Fall in our new town. It's an immersion Spanish/English school and it's only $220 a month, plus they say they have financial aid for those who qualify (I am sure we would qualify!). The teachers are also university teachers where we will be attending college. Cross your fingers for me that we can get him into it! Then I will just have to find childcare for DS2 who will be just over 1.
Wow! That sounds awesome!

MayLibertySprout: I always feel odd welcoming new people. I don't want to say glad your here, because I wish none of us were, but I am glad that if we do have to be here we are here together. So...glad you found us

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#13 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Well our fabulous luxury car (and I say that affectionately, really!) blew a tire this morning, no idea how or why. I ended up being two hours late for work and we spent $85 getting it fixed by someone who clearly is not an expert on cars, since the car is now visibly higher on one side than the other. You can either laugh or cry and I choose to laugh at the comedy of errors that is our life. I mean really. I'm just grateful, grateful grateful that we had the money in the bank to cover it, and that me having a second job means we'll have an extra paycheck next week to get us back on our feet.

Oh and can I just say it is WONDERFUL to have a terrific friend? My friend took off work 1/2 hr early last night to watch ds so dbf could pick up a last minute shift at work. She fed him, kept him happy and busy with her own three kids in tow, and then refused to let me pay her for her expenses. She left her own job early to care for my baby. Her whole family is so kind and warm and welcoming to us. I'm so thankful to have someone like that in my life.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#14 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahwhat View Post
Be careful with this.
1. Don't forget about city taxes. Between city and school taxes, we pay about $300 extra per month on top of our mortgage payment, which only has to be about $550.
2. Don't underestimate repairs and maintenance. No one's going to be coming to fix it for free when a pipe springs a leak or the hot water heater isn't hot anymore. A roof is not cheap. Landscaping and yard maintenance cost money and takes time.
3. Utilities for an apartment are cheaper than utilities on a house. Shared walls vastly reduce the amount it costs to heat an apartment compared to a house.

I'm not saying this to discourage you, I just wish I'd gone into home ownership with a better understanding of just how much it really costs.
Our city taxes have been factored into our mortgage, we have the option of paying for them on our own or including them in the monthly price of the mortgage, it is going to cost us $550 a month for that and we've chosen to pay weekly which makes it easier .

And I realize the utilities will be a bit more expensive, but my boyfriend has crunched the numbers and if we put enough aside we'll be able to swing it I think.

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)
~Attachment, co-sleeping parents to CJ (10/08)~ Mama to an angel baby born at 25.5 weeks Sophie (01/10)

#15 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
Wow! That sounds awesome!

MayLibertySprout: I always feel odd welcoming new people. I don't want to say glad your here, because I wish none of us were, but I am glad that if we do have to be here we are here together. So...glad you found us
thanks--ya, i understand about the "welcoming" thing! lol
I'm definitely glad to have found you...even though it sucks ANY of us need to be here!
I skimmed through some post's in last months thread, I see I "know" a couple mama's here already-- Hi Lizzy & Danielle!

A little info about me-- Have been married to DH for 17yrs this month and we have 4 great kids, K-15yrs, D 12yrs, Z almost 3yrs, & L 3mo.
We've almost always been a "low-income" family, so that aspect of life isn't new to me, but right now I could really use some support I guess. My DH was laid off in jan. after taking a huge pay-cut a year ago. He found a job right away, but it pays significantly less. We were already struggling. Long story short, we are going to be loosing our house, and dh is looking for a better paying job ANYWHERE, all over the country. So were looking at a foreclosure, and possibly moving across country with 4 kids. I'm a bit overwhelmed.
#16 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayLibertySprout View Post
thanks--ya, i understand about the "welcoming" thing! lol
I'm definitely glad to have found you...even though it sucks ANY of us need to be here!
I skimmed through some post's in last months thread, I see I "know" a couple mama's here already-- Hi Lizzy & Danielle!

A little info about me-- Have been married to DH for 17yrs this month and we have 4 great kids, K-15yrs, D 12yrs, Z almost 3yrs, & L 3mo.
We've almost always been a "low-income" family, so that aspect of life isn't new to me, but right now I could really use some support I guess. My DH was laid off in jan. after taking a huge pay-cut a year ago. He found a job right away, but it pays significantly less. We were already struggling. Long story short, we are going to be loosing our house, and dh is looking for a better paying job ANYWHERE, all over the country. So were looking at a foreclosure, and possibly moving across country with 4 kids. I'm a bit overwhelmed.
Welcome from me too... are you a May 07 DDC mama?

We had to short sale 2 properties due to housing crisis and DH losing his job.. we've been living off temp jobs and unemployment ever sense.. can you look into short sale instead of foreclosure too? It's a little better on your credit to do that. Where are you moving?

#17 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
haha.. well.. I rooting for you guys to go to the U Did you look more into Utah State? I noticed that the first round of scholarships has passed but you would still be considered until April.. it would be awesome to have some crunchy MDC mamas around!

I just answered over on the student thread.

Wooohooo on the preschool find!

#18 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Welcome from me too... are you a May 07 DDC mama?

We had to short sale 2 properties due to housing crisis and DH losing his job.. we've been living off temp jobs and unemployment ever sense.. can you look into short sale instead of foreclosure too? It's a little better on your credit to do that. Where are you moving?
Thanks, and Yep- Z was born may 13th 07 - we ended up FB friends from there too- I'm Ayn there

we talked w/ a Realtor about a short sale about a year ago, but when we bought this place in 06 they set us up with a second mortg. and he said we would have to let the 2nd get foreclosed on because you cant give 1 house to 2 banks. cant do a deed to lender either for the same reason. no matter what we'd have to foreclose on the second. We're about 70-80k underwater too. We've been borrowing from family to get by, but that can't go on. this month will be the first mortg payment we've ever missed (14yrs).
#19 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 PM

Misslibertysprout - Your Preschool seems expensive. To me anyways, is that the normal going rate for Preschool where you are? Here I'll be paying $85 dollars a month for mine.

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)
~Attachment, co-sleeping parents to CJ (10/08)~ Mama to an angel baby born at 25.5 weeks Sophie (01/10)

#20 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmama26 View Post
Misslibertysprout - Your Preschool seems expensive. To me anyways, is that the normal going rate for Preschool where you are? Here I'll be paying $85 dollars a month for mine.
that's LizzyQ not me
#21 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
that's LizzyQ not me

LOL oh sorry oops!

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)

#22 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks, and Yep- Z was born may 13th 07 - we ended up FB friends from there too- I'm Ayn there

we talked w/ a Realtor about a short sale about a year ago, but when we bought this place in 06 they set us up with a second mortg. and he said we would have to let the 2nd get foreclosed on because you cant give 1 house to 2 banks. cant do a deed to lender either for the same reason. no matter what we'd have to foreclose on the second. We're about 70-80k underwater too. We've been borrowing from family to get by, but that can't go on. this month will be the first mortg payment we've ever missed (14yrs).
We had a second on one of our places too.. but I think they were the same lender. Ayn.. OK, I totally know who you are, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmama26 View Post
our Preschool seems expensive. To me anyways, is that the normal going rate for Preschool where you are? Here I'll be paying $85 dollars a month for mine.
I think that is normal here. When I looked into some others they were over $300/m Hopefully we'll qualify for financial aid for him though

#23 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
HI to the other AZ mommy... I totally feel your $$ and employment pain...

I so need a mental health day from student teaching... Nothing I do seems right for my mentor teacher and I am taking tomorrow (Friday) as 'sick'...we can miss up to 2 days out of 60 and I havent missed any 'teaching' days yet. i am so tired of the negativity and hostile environment. DS and I are going to a dog show and I am going to heal my ego and emotions and start fresh on Monday. I think I will have 20 days left on Monday - 2 of then are 1/2 days.... I can do that... after this I can go back to subbing and get some $$ coming into this poor house again.

I know I'm not a horrible person, I know I'm not a horrible teacher but this woman just keeps tearing me down and my mental state is going to crash again. UGH.... can I please get a hug... it seems all I've been doing is crying after school...

Tonigh DS and I are going to IHOP and I am going to finish crocheting a blanket...

However March is my favorite month.... I LOVE MARCH

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#24 of 165 Old 03-04-2010, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{zebra}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Is she doing anything that she can/will get in trouble for? Can you complain to anyone without putting yourself at risk?

Have you tried the ever annoying being super perky and smiley to her. It really does annoy "grumpy" ( I am being kind in word choices ) people.

#25 of 165 Old 03-05-2010, 01:01 AM

zebra -- and thanks for the welcome! are you another AZ mama?
I totally feel for you too with your situation. I had a very similar situation when I was a special needs aid in a middle school a few years ago. The teacher was SO horrible. It's a really hard place to be in, very complicated. I know in my case there wasn't much to do except deal with her- everyone hated working with her! I eventually got injured on the job and was moved to a desk job- I was SO relieved. Good luck!

Lizzy- I thought I would make a few more calls about short sales. I had the idea to call the "we buy ugly houses" people. I explained the situation, and they connected me with a lady that specializes in short sales. She said she can help us!!
She said they would negotiate the second for us, and do a short sale on the first. The 2 other Realtors said we would have to let the second "get foreclosed on", and WE would have to deal with all of that. I meet with her next week.
#26 of 165 Old 03-05-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:

Lizzy- I thought I would make a few more calls about short sales. I had the idea to call the "we buy ugly houses" people. I explained the situation, and they connected me with a lady that specializes in short sales. She said she can help us!!
She said they would negotiate the second for us, and do a short sale on the first. The 2 other Realtors said we would have to let the second "get foreclosed on", and WE would have to deal with all of that. I meet with her next week.
Sounds great!! I really hope it works out!

#27 of 165 Old 03-05-2010, 03:24 AM

A hug would be great

Saw our attorney today to continue our bankruptcy saga. It's so humiliating and stressful. I have a big long list of documents to track down. I'm 37 weeks pregnant and I just feel like I can't "deal". We've saved a little money for while I'm off for maternity leave. I'm so paranoid the car will break down or something else will happen. We will be screwed! I have so made a mess of our lives.
#28 of 165 Old 03-05-2010, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yes MAY I'm in N.PHX....I have 1DS who is 9... SS about the house issue...

Thanks to everyone who understands my 'teaching' issue.... everyone else loves me its just my mentor teacher who never liked me from the get-go and its almost causing me to have another mental breakdown. My mental status (Iguess thats what you call it) is what caused me to change careers in the first place. High stress banking, etc , 1st i was a stock broker, went looney, then just did the call center thing, went super looney with micro managment, so went for my teaching license and now I get paired with this woman...
I've been subbing for 2 years, never had a problem, DS is homeschooled (and i probabaly never should have said a thing because my mentor teacher just 'doesnt get hs) but this has been the worst 12 weeks stress wise from 7am-215pm iwkwim.....

BUT I STILL LOVE MARCH.... its my favorite month and i wont let anyone ruin that.

Tomorrow is my mental health day
DS and I are going to IHOP for breakfast....

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#29 of 165 Old 03-05-2010, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
First yard sale of the season today! Woot Woot! I got my dd a really nice bedding set for twenty dollars and some other less expensive odds and ends. My mom went in on me for everything, as she tends to do whenever something is bought for my daughter, so I only spent ten bucks out of pocket. I do want to see if she'll take a couple extra bucks though. I also owe my sister a couple dollars for picking up some mylicon for dd when she wasn't feeling well. She hasn't mentioned it, but I really don't like not paying people back.

We really, really have to get the car insurance paid today. It's a few days late, and hubby says we may have to restart the whole policy with another down payment and everything. I hope not, but at least if we have to we can swing it.

We're probably getting our food stamp recertification tomorrow as well. I never look forward to that, even with everything in order, etc I just get flustered. Even if I have a nice person I feel kinda judged, kwim? I know it's mostly my own hangup, and I've heard others with much worse horror stories so I can't complain.

I wrote out a grocery list if we make it out there. A store that way is having a ten for ten dollar sale, and some other good deals. Yeah for having stocked cabinets and freezers!

It's supposed to be warming up this weekend, which I'm really hoping for. We're talking possibly having a bbq or trip to the park, or both! YAY!

A friend of mine has some cloth diapers from YEARS ago a friend returned to her, that now she's passing on to me. One size mother ease with covers too! I'm pretty happy about this. We're a little low on diapes for the daughter since she's grown, and I've been having to pin some shut since some have bad velcro and others she just can rip open so easily. We use sposies part time, but after this batch I think I'm going to try to really cut down. It was something we did just for overnights and then for longer outings but it's ballooned. Seems so wasteful. Hoping that the new diapers will get me back into the swing of things, and I'm putting the diaper holder in the closet so it's "out of sight, out of mind" lol...

I count my blessings that things are working out for us lately, and I hope nothing but great things for everyone!
#30 of 165 Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 PM

I sent in medicaid/FS all the paperwork and I haven't gotten our new medical cards in the mail yet... I hate dealing with them!

Zebra- how much longer is your mentoring program?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page