frugal way to maintain a short haircut? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-02-2004, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the heels of the no-shampoo thread- I've decided to cut off my long hair at last- but I'm worried about how to keep it looking good without spending a fortune once I get it short (not yet sure how to do that without spending a lot!)

I don't have a friend I trust to cut my hair- is there a way I can learn to trim it myself once its cut? I am so cheap but my long hair is driving me crazy with its long drying time.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#2 of 12 Old 03-02-2004, 01:11 AM

I think it depends on what your shorter hairstyle looks like. If you pick something that's more forgiving you could definitely do it yourself! If you don't anticipate having any help at all (even for the back) I would choose something that's long enough that you can pull each half of the back forward so you can check if they're even with each other, or something short enough that you can use a clipper. There are books that you can check out at the library about cutting hair too.

You could also check to see if there's a cosmetology college in your area. You can often get really cheap haircuts from the students.

HTH!

DS 4/2002 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif
DD 3/2009 toddler.gif
#3 of 12 Old 03-02-2004, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas! I have wavy thick hair, so with the right cut it might be forgiving- it gets curlier when short. There is a beauty college nearby.

I don't want to look hideous, so I might go for the cheap haircut vs. cutting it myself. I've cut my own bangs for years with variable results.

#4 of 12 Old 03-02-2004, 03:02 AM

Check out the beauty colleges in your area- you can usually get a nice cut there for much less than a fancy salon.
#5 of 12 Old 03-02-2004, 05:21 PM

Spending a lot of money doesn't guarantee a good haircut!

When you're out and about, look for women with cute hair, and just ask where she goes. I found a lady once with such great hair, I would have swore it was from Vidal Sassoon. But she goes to Great Clips!

Or...spend a lot for a terrific cut the first time and then let the cosmetology student maintain it.

Or...get a terrific, expensive cut with a nice grow-out look, and just go longer between cuts.

Have fun with your short hair!
#6 of 12 Old 03-02-2004, 09:55 PM

I got lucky, but I found a girl who cuts my hair for $10. She charges more for those who get their hair styled, but since mine is so fine and thick it won't hold curl, style or much of anything except a simple braid (and that for only a couple hours) I don't waste her time or mine. Most places around here charge you a good $20 for a haircut.

So my point is (LOL) that maybe you can call around and ask if a cut is cheaper if you don't have them style it for you.
#7 of 12 Old 03-02-2004, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

I might try that busybusymommy! My hair is thick and won't stay in any style either-not even a braid, not a pony tail- I would keep it long if it would stay put.

Thanks for all the great tips anotherKatrina, kirshday.

Hair- the everpresent dilemma.

#8 of 12 Old 03-02-2004, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monnie
I might try that busybusymommy! My hair is thick and won't stay in any style either-not even a braid, not a pony tail- I would keep it long if it would stay put.

Thanks for all the great tips anotherKatrina, kirshday.

Hair- the everpresent dilemma.
Ah, someone who sympathizes!

My hair doesn't do much of anything long or short really!
#9 of 12 Old 03-02-2004, 11:40 PM

Speaking of cutting long hair, how does one go about donating to locks of love? Mine is bra strap length, not sure if it's enough to donate without shaving my head. LOL
#10 of 12 Old 03-03-2004, 01:33 AM

You have to have a minimum of 10 inches to donate. *Most* salons will do it, but you might want to call ahead and make sure.

If you're just looking for a cheap haircut with no styling or washing, cost cutters or great clips - places like that are cheap. Personally, I have found that it can really make a difference to go to someone who charges $30 for a good haircut once at least and then I let it grow out for 6 months to a year, or go to someone cheaper in the meantime. I had problems with doing anything with my hair for years because it's so thick, coarse and heavy but I went to someone who showed me how to work with the waviness of my hair and cut my hair correspondingly. Who knew that I didn't have to spend an hour trying to get my hair to look acceptable down instead of always in a ponytail! Now I'm done in 10 minutes and it looks better than it ever has.

But that's me - I figure if I'm spending $30-$50 a year on haircuts it's not that bad. I have tried cutting my own hair in the past because I cut everyone else's hair (mom, sister, brother, DH, DS) but I enjoy my once or twice a year trips to the salon.

DS 4/2002 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif
DD 3/2009 toddler.gif
#11 of 12 Old 03-03-2004, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sparkeze
You have to have a minimum of 10 inches to donate. *Most* salons will do it, but you might want to call ahead and make sure.
Hmm, my hair is 12 inches roots to ends so that won't work. Not sure I can wait six months for more to grow and not sure I can handle more length either.
#12 of 12 Old 03-03-2004, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

sparkeze, your hair sounds like mine. It's so thick and heavy I am always struggling with it. If only I knew someone who could REALLY help me with my hair. When I was younger I called salons and asked for someone experienced with thick hair and they always gave me a stylist who wasn't.

I would pay for a new style if I could trust it would be worth it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page