Help! How do you live without a bank account? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I post here off and on and read more than I post. We have with advice from here seen our way through a major financial crisis and issues with the IRS. We are again dealing with issues.

Due to various medical bills and some degree of irresponsibility (i.e. “we’ve been doing so well, let’s relax a little” and bam! crisis) we ended up negative at our bank again last November. They closed the account and charged fees and demanded payment. We added them to our snowball list (which they said was ok) and opened new bank accounts which we have been doing quite well with and fully back on the budgeting, Dave Ramsey, snowballing wagon.

Today we found out that our old bank reported us to check systems (or something like that) and our new bank is closing our accounts (which they evidently and understandably reserve the right to do in the first six months.) Including our business accounts for our farm (we are running a CSA and farmer’s market operation this year). They said that with this report of a charged off account on our record no one will open an account for us anywhere.

We are feeling beaten. What do we do now? Any ideas or knowledge about this or where to turn for advice? We have 19 collection agencies, doctors offices, hospitals, etc. that we write checks to every month for snowballing. Also electric, water, phone, car, car insurance, and mortgage that cannot be paid in person in cash.

What do people do who can’t get bank accounts? Is there hope for us to get back on track? Any advice about where to turn would be really welcome. Thanks.
#2 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 06:28 PM

Money orders. That's how we used to pay things that needed checks. It's a $1 extra at the post office, a bit more at grocery stores.

For cashing checks, just go to a local branch. For example, if someone from Bank of America wrote you a check, go to Bank of America to cash it. They will do that.

How to handle business dealings, I have no clue.

Sorry you have to go through this.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#3 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 06:33 PM

Even though the bank balance may not be your smallest bill (as I understand it you "snowball" by paying off smallest to largest?) I would make paying that debt a priority, because it seems to me that running a business without a bank account would be really time consuming and difficult. Good luck!
#4 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 06:46 PM

I had a paypal problem where it was hacked into and it overdrawn my account by $600 and so I was unable to use my back account for 2 months. I just cashed my check at the grocery store (WM charges $3) and paid all my bills with money order or cash. It really wasn't that big of a deal to me esp since the store would refund the check cashing fee if I spent $20 at the store.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#5 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 06:57 PM

See if you can get a savings account, but not a checking. Very few banks will let you have a savings account without a debit card even if you owe another bank, but you have to call around. IME, large national brands won't, but a small town bank might. At least here in MN. I got into this problem with my ex, as he ran every joint account we had into the ground, and until he paid them off all I could have was a savings.

Otherwise I used money orders if I couldn't walk in to a brick and mortar building and pay cash and walk out with a receipt. Receipts are VERY important. Keep them for anything you pay with cash, and for your money orders you purchase as well.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#6 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
If you are in chexsystems you will find it almost impossible to get a bank account. You might be able to get a business account in the name of the business if you have a TIN (tax ID number) for the business and such but it does not sound like that is what you have if the bank closed everything.

You may need to run the CSA as cash only. Some banks will cash personal checks for non clients, some wont, some will and will charge you a fee, BofA charges $3 per check around here and its a huge hassle.

You will pay your bills via money orders. Some check cashing places have free money orders, some will charge you for the money orders.

Even if you pay off the checksystem debt to the bank there is no guarentee that another bank will open an account for you. Its kinda like once you are in checksystems you are stuck.

Good Luck

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#7 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
Even though the bank balance may not be your smallest bill (as I understand it you "snowball" by paying off smallest to largest?) I would make paying that debt a priority, because it seems to me that running a business without a bank account would be really time consuming and difficult. Good luck!
I have to say I agree with this especially since you have a business and not having a checking account could be quite awkward. Years ago I had no bank account and went to a check cashing joint to cash my check and got money orders to pay my bills. It wasn't the cheapest but it worked, thing is it can be quite awkward to handle large amounts of cash so you probably would want to get money orders right away.

You can also cash checks at the bank they are drawn on if its local, that will definitely save money.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#8 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 08:06 PM

While I have had a checking account since before a lot of people on this board were born I think it would be fairly easy to run a household without one. I suspect some of your monthly bills could be paid in person just fine with cash (I know I could pay my phone, water, car insurance in person if I wanted too)
#9 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
A google search turned up the following (i googled, 'banks that dont use chexsystems) There seem to be several solutions, but research and call around before doing anything.

http://chexsys.tripod.com/goodbanks.html

http://www.chexaccount.com/

http://www.creditservicer.com/pages/...nded-banks.php

http://www.ehow.com/about_4673907_ba...exsystems.html

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#10 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
Money orders. That's how we used to pay things that needed checks. It's a $1 extra at the post office, a bit more at grocery stores.

For cashing checks, just go to a local branch. For example, if someone from Bank of America wrote you a check, go to Bank of America to cash it. They will do that.

How to handle business dealings, I have no clue.

Sorry you have to go through this.

Ami
Bolding mine.

Please be aware they will charge a fee. We did this a couple of weeks ago and it was $5 a check.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#11 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 11:01 PM

why can't you pay the mortgage & stuff in person?

Quote:
We have 19 collection agencies, doctors offices, hospitals, etc. that we write checks to every month for snowballing
What is your total debt? Is it reasonable that you will be able to pay this debt off? Is bankrupcy an option?
#12 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
We're in chexsystems so we cannot open an account right now. However, my husband has been directed to a class called Get Checking. It's offered through our university and once you take this class and pay your outstanding debts certain banks will work with you. There is a list of banks on the pamphlet he got. We are saving up the money to get out of this debt, then he will take the class.

For now we use money orders and a prepaid credit card for any online purchases. We're lucky enough we can "borrow" a paypal account by giving my sister cash and she'll put it in her bank and then use her account. It's honestly not much hassle at all, as we very seldom get a private check. But we want to eventually get a savings account and rebuild our credit, etc.
#13 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
A google search turned up the following (i googled, 'banks that dont use chexsystems) There seem to be several solutions, but research and call around before doing anything.

http://chexsys.tripod.com/goodbanks.html

http://www.chexaccount.com/

http://www.creditservicer.com/pages/...nded-banks.php

http://www.ehow.com/about_4673907_ba...exsystems.html
I would also try another bank or a credit union. After my divorce where my ex royally f***** me and I had to declare bankruptcy our names were in chexsystems as well. I found a bank where as long as I had direct deposit I could open an account. They only gave me an ATM card initially but after 6 months of good behavior they upgraded it to a Visa/debit card. The harder thing for me was a regular credit card - I think that took almost 3 years.

Good luck.
#14 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
why can't you pay the mortgage & stuff in person?

What is your total debt? Is it reasonable that you will be able to pay this debt off? Is bankrupcy an option?
If she is paying things in collections unless the agency is in her area it would be impossible to pay in person. Also unless the mortgage is held locally that too would have to be paid via check or money order and by mail.

#15 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wal-mart has a bank card, you don't get checks but it is a debit card. I don't think there is a fee (or it is small) to load money onto the card in the store. And you can use it anyplace like a normal ATM card.
#16 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 10:57 AM

Lots of places have money orders. Drug stores, post office, walmart, etc. Call around and find out whose prices are cheapest (I think drug mart around here still has them for 59 cents, for example).
#17 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Are there any alternative financial institutions in your region?
What about a Credit Union? They might be more flexible in working with you and your situation.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#18 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
Bolding mine.

Please be aware they will charge a fee. We did this a couple of weeks ago and it was $5 a check.
I'm not sure that's with all banks as I have never had that happen or heard of it until now. I used to cash all my paychecks at my employer's bank because they had a tendency to bounce.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#19 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
I'm not sure that's with all banks as I have never had that happen or heard of it until now. I used to cash all my paychecks at my employer's bank because they had a tendency to bounce.
When I worked in Collections and got a bounced check, I would call the bank. If there were funds to cover it, I would take it over and cash it. At that time I was never charged a fee.

However, we got a check from a consignment store last month. We didn't want it deposited in our account (long story). So my husband took it to the bank it was drawn on. They charged us $5. I think its one more way the banks are using fees to re-coup $$$.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#20 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
When I worked in Collections and got a bounced check, I would call the bank. If there were funds to cover it, I would take it over and cash it. At that time I was never charged a fee.

However, we got a check from a consignment store last month. We didn't want it deposited in our account (long story). So my husband took it to the bank it was drawn on. They charged us $5. I think its one more way the banks are using fees to re-coup $$$.
This is true where I live. On occasion, we get checks that we don't want to deposit in our account (because we are worried about the checks bouncing and want the cash that day) and $5 is a pretty standard fee.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#21 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
This is true where I live. On occasion, we get checks that we don't want to deposit in our account (because we are worried about the checks bouncing and want the cash that day) and $5 is a pretty standard fee.
Its becoming more common I have heard for banks to charge non customers for cashing checks. I imagine as banks look to generate revenue this will become more common.

#22 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Bolding mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post

Actually, depending on the bank, it depends whether the check is from an individual or a business. I used to work for Bank of America, and there is no charge to cash personal checks, but a $6 fee to cash a business check (like a paycheck). If we're talking about checks from the CSA customers, there would probably be no fees, although it would be a major PITA to go to the different banks.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#23 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
If she is paying things in collections unless the agency is in her area it would be impossible to pay in person. Also unless the mortgage is held locally that too would have to be paid via check or money order and by mail.
the stuff in collections yes, but she said she can't pay her power, phone, gas, etc in person either.
#24 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 06:52 PM

I'm not sure how it works today, but I was in ChexSystems within six months of turning 18... took years for it to go away. But a lot of banks were willing to give me a "second chance" bank account. US Bank, Wells Fargo, Bank of America... I got an account with all of these banks while I was still in ChexSystems. It doesn't hurt asking around - you might just find a bank willing to work with you.
#25 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 PM

Look around at other banks.

Prepaid Visa card bought and filled at store.

Paypal if you have it.

Money orders.

For your CSA offer a small discount of they pay in cash and say "local bank checks ONLY" for checks. Offer Paypal if you have that too.

Resistance is futile Matey
#26 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 09:11 PM

Could you get a savings account with online bill paying? I know I can pay bills from my savings account with Bank of America.
#27 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 10:36 PM

I second checking with credit unions, but then I avoid banks like the plague.

My credit union has very generous policies for overdrafts as well. But, then again, they are not trying to make money at my expense.
#28 of 28 Old 03-18-2010, 01:36 AM

there is a bank inside the walmart ere...crap, i can NOT think of the name right now....but they are a bank that specifically opens accounts for people in chexsystems.....the only reason I know thjis is I went there with a friend who works at a bank, and she told me that is what they do....crap...something with trees or forest in the name, maybe?

CPST

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page