April No-Spend Challenge ~ We're in the home stretch... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Key:
no spend/ budgeted spending
unnecessary/ unbudgeted spending
hung laundry to dry

Goals for April
no spend days 2/20
eating out 0/3
hung laundry to dry 1/10

2. ordered our homeschool curriculum for next year. I'm putting this here preemptively to encourage me to NOT SPEND when I go out later

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#62 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 12:45 PM

No spend day
Kept Meal Plan
Budgeted spend
Hang laundry to dry
Walked
FAIL

04/01 2 laps
04/02
04/03 2 laps Costco, bread outlet, and Kroger runs today - haven't seen the total in Mint.com yet, but probably about $100.00 even. DH bought stuff for the car we're trying to sell to make the A/C run. I bought a $1.50 hot dog/coke combo at Costco as I nearly passed out in line to pay - that would've really sucked big time. I'm off to go for a walk and walk off the 3 Cokes I've had today (2 were for the blood sugar crash).

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#63 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
oh and i forgot to add, i did put 10% of our paychecks in savings yesterday! woot! i am very excited about that. now just working on keeping it there. lol
Go heather!!!

#64 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

My purse is locked in the filing cabinet.

And in case I get in there, my actual MONEY and debit card and credit card are sealed up in an envelope that has "How Low Can You Go?" written on the outside. (Got that idea from Cindy at http://www.cindysporch.net/)

I know this is silly and if I want to spend money, I'll just break right in there. But it creates a few steps between me and impulse spending, you know? I'm all about the mental games if they work.

Another day staying out of the stores today...we're having beautiful weather in Vermont today and this weekend so my goal is to be out there enjoying it instead of shopping.

01.. sos
02.. sos

Goals for April

1. 2/30 Stay Out of Stores (sos)
2. 2/20 No Spend Days

#65 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 04:21 PM

1. unplanned spend- Sonic route 44 water with lemon .65
exercise today

2. planned spend- at Target (took shopping list and stuck to it!) 57.00

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#66 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 04:48 PM

Had to come revise today's entry. I had to stop to get some medicine for me for my stomach bug that I am trying to fight off and picked up a pail and shovel for DS to take to the beach too since I can't for the life of me find his from last year. I was rather proud of myself for not buying the $10 pail filled with plastic crapola sand toys and buying the very sturdy pail and shovel for $2.99 that was way up high on a shelf shoved out of sight.

I also went to the park today that has the bus-o-yumminess parked next to it all summer long selling the most delicious burgers, fries, and ice cream and I left my wallet in the car just to head off any temptation. No money = no junk food and no spending. Yippee!

2.Allowance day $3.21 for a pail and shovel for DS and $4.99 meds for me.
9. Allowance day

Goals for the Month of April
1. No unplanned spending above my weekly $20 allowance $7.98/$80
2. No eating out that isn't already planned for: 2/30
4. 100 items decluttered: 0/100
5. Car left at home/take the bus/bike/stay home 0/5

- No Spend
- Planned Spend for allowance
- Unplanned Spend
- All meals eaten at home
- Decluttered stuff out of the house
- Car not driven

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#67 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 04:50 PM

Question - do you count paying bills as "planned spend" days? Just curious what everyone else does.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#68 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 05:40 PM

Who you are: I'm Erin currently a SAHM to 2 kids(3 and 6 months). I'm here because my Dh has been on unemployment which while tight was fine, that is until the other day when we found out his new claim would cut our incoming money by $700 per month, we seriously have no money to spend, other than bill money, it will be really tight for the next month or 2 and honestly I am freaking out. Luckily I am a super couponing, stockpiling mama so we are ultra prepared. We have food assistance right now and so that is one thing we don't have to worry about. DH should be back at work in a month or so, the economy here just bites.

b. Where you are going Currently we will be just trying to survive. We have a small saving of $1500, and are waiting for a heating assistance check of $624, like I stated above we are really broke right now. In the long term though we paid our house taxes for the next year already, plus we will be buying heating pellets with our assistance check so in many ways we are ahead in comparison to other years. We will be living off a large stockpile I created for us from my years of learning here on MDC.

c. How do you plan on getting there: Like I stated we aren't trying to get anywhere right now, but just keep a roof over our heads and our sanity in these trying times.

That's it.

A couple questions, I have FS and WIC for our food costs, do I consider those to be planned spends?

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#69 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 06:14 PM

No I don't count bills as planned spend days. Grocery shopping yes, as it's easy to go nuts with that. I count going to see How To Train Your Dragon as a planned spend day as my DD and I have been looking forward to it for weeks.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#70 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 06:15 PM

Okay mamas, I need some hand holding and support. DH has been working L-O-N-G hours for us, and this helps NONE in the motivation department for meal cooking. My kids don't care if I make steak w/ baked potatoes or give them pbj sandwiches. And since DH isn't really home for dinner lately, I haven't had any motivation to do anything.

We're out of bread. It's dinner time and I could pack up the kids and go to McD's for dinner and feed them lousy food, but not have to cook. OR, I could get my tush in the kitchen, scramble up some eggs, whip up some drop biscuits, and not spend any $$$.

Tell me to cook. Tell me to stop being lazy. Tell me how bad McD's is for me and my kids and how much better even scrambled eggs and biscuits is....

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#71 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 06:15 PM

1/30 days no spending
0/$100 extra toward new bills

107/100 get rid of 100 "things" (yard sale or donate) (Did a really quick declutter before mil, fil, and sil come visiting from out of town.
Got rid of or organized all paper clutter last night!

I did spend money today though. BUT it was only 1.37 for a burrito because I am sick and exhausted and didn't feel like cooking. Guess it could have been worse.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#72 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom4 View Post
Question - do you count paying bills as "planned spend" days? Just curious what everyone else does.
I dont

mother, wife, lover of life.
#73 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 06:30 PM

no spend day =
no drive day =
budgeted spending =
unbudgeted spending =

1=missing ingredients for dinner caused a grocery run
2=

mother, wife, lover of life.
#74 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post
Tell me to cook. Tell me to stop being lazy. Tell me how bad McD's is for me and my kids and how much better even scrambled eggs and biscuits is....
Cook! You can do it! The kids can help you You don't even have to do dishes, save those for later!
#75 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 07:14 PM

I may never get my original post fixed but at least I can start tracking this month!

1. , spent $2.18
2. , stuck to the list at Costco!
3. $45.19...ate out...twice in 1 day!
4. all the stores were closed!
7. $5.38 for pizza
9. $83.88
10. $20 pizza out with friends
11. Had to exercise major control and did NOT go to starbucks! Dropped of a bunch of stuff at the local resale store I love to shop at, will use the credit I earn for future purchases

total so far $156.63...so bad! I'm going to keep tracking just to show how much better I can do next month. This is a real eye opener for me!
#76 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 07:19 PM

The refrain from my children is, "No not McDonald's it will give us diahrrea." It gives us all diahrrea so we don't eat there.

Go cook so you don't have that thought running through your mind while eating at McD's.

Liz

#77 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post
Cook! You can do it! The kids can help you You don't even have to do dishes, save those for later!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
The refrain from my children is, "No not McDonald's it will give us diahrrea." It gives us all diahrrea so we don't eat there.

Go cook so you don't have that thought running through your mind while eating at McD's.

Liz
Thanks mamas, I made the eggs and biscuits. The kids are enjoying them now. And now I don't know if I can ever eat McD's again, Liz

#78 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post

A couple questions, I have FS and WIC for our food costs, do I consider those to be planned spends?
I receive food stamps and WIC too, and don't count those as long as I don't go over. I currently receive about $350 per month in food stamps alone, and then all the milk/cheese/veggies/beans for WIC, so I figure if I go over, I will count it as unplanned spending.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#79 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 09:03 PM

have any of you read "your money or your life"?

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#80 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 09:09 PM

1. No unplanned spending: 2/30
2. No eating out that isn't already planned for: 2/28
3. Bring in extra money from my business: 0%
4. 450 items decluttered: 17/450
5. 13 days with exercise in them: 2/13

Key:
- No Spend or only planned spending
- Unplanned Spend
- All meals eaten at home or shared with friends/family but didn't cost us anything
- Ate outside of the house (unplanned)
- Exercise

Apr 1: x 12
Apr 2: x 5

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#81 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
I receive food stamps and WIC too, and don't count those as long as I don't go over. I currently receive about $350 per month in food stamps alone, and then all the milk/cheese/veggies/beans for WIC, so I figure if I go over, I will count it as unplanned spending.
Cool I figured it's my food budget and so that's what I'd count it as a planned thing. I seriously have no extra right now, I'm not really sure how the next month or so are going to pan out, we can pay all the bills, but very literally have nothing left. We took a MAJOR hit

Well I guess I can put down this:

1. Planned spend for groceries 15.00+3 WIC checks, dinner at home
2. No spend, no driving, ate dinner at home

#82 of 378 Old 04-02-2010, 11:59 PM

My key:
no spend day=
hubby not spending=
unnecessary spending=
no driving=
eat at home=
Used cloth diapers=

Goals:
1. Only go shopping/errands 0/8
2. Stretch out FS money=$0/$514
3. no eating out for lunches this month 0/0
4. major clean (and keep clean) 1 room per week, getting ready for baby's arrival 0/4

THUR 1st-no shopping -stayed home, baby sick.
FS=$0/$514
No driving=
Hubby sick= no spending
goals= 1. 0/8
2. $0/$514
4. nope

FRI 2nd-Costco & walmart + errands
Hubby sick= no spending
goals= 1. 1/8
2. $193.51/$514 UGH, stocking up at Costco.
4. nope. too many errands

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#83 of 378 Old 04-03-2010, 04:20 AM

So...DH already used his "blow" money for the week (he won't get more until next Friday).

I think this is going to be more difficult for him than I thought. Anyone have any success stories of resistant so's who came around?

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#84 of 378 Old 04-03-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom4 View Post

So...DH already used his "blow" money for the week (he won't get more until next Friday).

I think this is going to be more difficult for him than I thought. Anyone have any success stories of resistant so's who came around?
I'd like to know the same thing. My husband has already bought a carton of cigarettes and paid half of a new tattoo ($25 - his sister paid the other half) and he gets paid on Fridays. And sometimes I feel like if I say anything to him about not having extra money right now he's going to say "Get a job then" even though it's virtually impossible for me to. (I am his only source of transportation since he's legally blind AND he works a swing shift so I can't even work around his hours. He thinks we're always short on money. We can pay all our bills on time every month IF we don't spend more than maybe $100 "blow" money a week.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#85 of 378 Old 04-03-2010, 10:35 AM

Monthly Goals:
- rebuild Emergency Fund (had to dip into partially in March)
- get Debt Snowball Rolling again
- as many NO Spend days as possible

No Spend:
Planned Spend:
Unplanned Spend:

4/1:
4/2:
4/3:
4/4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
My purse is locked in the filing cabinet.

And in case I get in there, my actual MONEY and debit card and credit card are sealed up in an envelope that has "How Low Can You Go?" written on the outside. (Got that idea from Cindy at http://www.cindysporch.net/)

I know this is silly and if I want to spend money, I'll just break right in there. But it creates a few steps between me and impulse spending, you know? I'm all about the mental games if they work.
I love this!

Yes, it is just a little mental trick, but I think I'm going to do something similar to this .... thanks for the inspiration

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#86 of 378 Old 04-03-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post
Thanks mamas, I made the eggs and biscuits. The kids are enjoying them now. And now I don't know if I can ever eat McD's again, Liz
Think of all the money my kids and I just saved you.

Liz

#87 of 378 Old 04-03-2010, 11:13 AM

well off to the beach today.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#88 of 378 Old 04-03-2010, 11:44 AM

Today I have to spend a small amount on breastmilk storage bags, gas and hopefully nothing else.

#89 of 378 Old 04-03-2010, 06:47 PM

04/01
04/02
04/03

$0 Frivolously spent
3/20 No-spend days
3/30 Not buying clothes for my kids days
1/10 Loads of laundry hung out to dry
$7.85/$500.00 Groceries

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#90 of 378 Old 04-03-2010, 07:37 PM

I was hoping today would be a no driving day, but I had to go pick up prescriptions for myself and my kitty, so no go there. I also forgot that I needed to get Easter treats for the church Easter Egg Hunt tomorrow. I already had six eggs and could have come up with something at home (spare change even), but I am just so wiped out from being sick since Wednesday night that I stopped at the dollar store and did the easy thing and bought treats. Still on track though!

I really need to get cracking on the decluttering piece. Once I am feeling back to normal, watch out! Things will be FLYING out of my door!

2.Allowance day $3.21 for a pail and shovel for DS and $4.99 meds for me.
3. $3.21 Easter treats for church egg hunt.
9. Allowance day

1. No unplanned spending above my weekly $20 allowance $11.19/$80
2. No eating out that isn't already planned for: 2/30
4. 100 items decluttered: 0/100
5. Car left at home/take the bus/bike/stay home 0/5

- No Spend
- Planned Spend for allowance
- Unplanned Spend
- All meals eaten at home
- Car not driven

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page