Any easter gifts BESIDES food/easter eggs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking of getting my dc a game of some sort, but am open to other ideas, anyone getting their child anything else? (instead of OR aswell as chocolate gifts?)

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#2 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jump ropes, sidewalk chalk, puzzles, headbands, and kites.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#3 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 10:45 AM

Last year we did springtime baskets--chalk, bubbles, little garden shovels, watering cans, and sunglasses. I haven't decided yet about this year, but probably more outdoorsy stuff.
#4 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 10:50 AM

the spring baskets! We try to add things that can be used through the season. For instance, the girls picked out beach buckets (w shovels) at the dollar store for their 'baskets' this year. We also bought fake flowers and stickers, they decorated their buckets w stickers and I hot glued the flowers where they wanted.
They look great! Best part is, they are excited to take their pretty buckets to the beach! (made 4 buckets, including bucket, for only $15.00!)
#5 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 11:18 AM

We try and limit the candy, too. This year, each of their baskets (which we reuse from year to year) will have:

-felted wool egg w/ a mama made root child inside
-felted wool egg w/ an Ostheimer wooden animal inside (got these from a co-op for a great price)
-felted wool egg w/ a mama made flower child (this is up in the air b/c of time constrictions)
-mama made bonnets for the 2 girls, flannel lounge pants for the boys
-new toothbrush
-mama knitted lamb marionette (pattern in current Living Crafts mag)
-plastic gardening set from WalMart (rake, shovel, hoe)

In years past they've gotten other small handmade toys, spring or Easter themed books, craft/ art supplies.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#6 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 11:37 AM

I have for my kids:

sunglasses
sidewalk chalk
playdough
notebook
pencil set (pencils, erasers, sharpener)
markers
hair clips for dd/baseball cap for ds

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#7 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 11:46 AM

bike helmet
summer hats
sunglasses
thomas train
tops
crayons
matchbox cars
splashers balls for the pool
#8 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 AM

We're going to FL in a couple of weeks, so the Easter Bunny is bringing beach toys and towels, sunscreen, travel toys (we are driving) and stuff like that. The bunny always brings more toys than candy here. Last year, it was a writing/drawing desk for my oldest with all kinds of art stuff, and one big toy (don't remember what) for the younger with lots of little fun toys.

Also, bubbles are a huge hit around here. Bubbles, sidewalk chalk... lots of great things.

How about a kit where they could plant some seeds for the summer? Last year, we got one that was tomato seeds and ds1 loved it all summer long.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#9 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 12:27 PM

The Easter Bunny has always been stingy with the candy here. We used to do outside toys (bubbles, chalk, beach toys), and as they got older we did things like magazines, packs of Lip Smackers, I-tunes cards, etc. Usually I add new flip-flops or sandals and a fresh, Springy colored t-shirt.

When I was a kid, my grandparents sent us money for Easter. Mom spent it on new underwear or sheets for our beds.
#10 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Wow it sounds like Christmas in your homes! Last year I got dd a game and a bag of candy/chocolate. I like the idea of a gardening set, some seeds with a long pot to plant different kinds and a little shovel and watering can. Maybe I'll get that instead of a game this year, with a bag of candy/chocolate ofcourse.

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#11 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 04:27 PM

Summer stuff, the Easter bunny brings new sandels, towels, and normally swimsuits but I don't think we are going to do the suits this year since they all have several already.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#12 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 05:37 PM

fishing pole (although DS found it hiding in DH's truck so he got that early)
cymbals for the instrument box
playdoh
a little stuffed chick that chirps when you squeeze it
I think there may be something else I'm forgetting

(and candy- we don't skimp in the candy department!)

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#13 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
We spend a lot of time at the pool, so I usually stock the kids spring baskets with swim gear.

Bathing suits
Crocs
Swim goggles

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#14 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm getting my 15 y.o. dd some crazy socks.

Not sure what to get for the 11 y.o. ds. Silly putty, a magnifying glass or something.

I did myself a favor and didn't get big Easter baskets for the kids. (They use the same ones year after year and I store them in the garage with the seasonal stuff.)

One gift each, a handful of jelly beans and a yummy chocolate bunny.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#15 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 06:23 PM

I bought two inexpensive sand toy wagons (little plastic wagons filled with sand toys) to use instead of baskets we would just throw away. They were $12 each but I was going to buy about $20 worth of sand toys anyway, so that worked out, plus now the toys can be toted/stored in the wagons. Then I got a tea set for dd and dump truck for ds...each from Green Toys. I did not get any stuffed toys this year since we just purged a ton of them. We just bought a bunch of art supplies incl. sidewalk chalk or I would have done that.

Shellie
Declutter - 789/2010 (counting the stuff on my porch waiting for a Freecycler to pick it up! )
#16 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
DS asked for a new lego set $50 so he is getting that and some candy. I also got him new swim goggles - they have a 3 pack of speedo goggles at Costco for $15- I may get him a book set he's been asking for.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#17 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 08:46 PM

Well our "hire the contractor to fix the railing on the back porch project" turned into an "Oh no, look at that, half the porch is rotten and now we're rebuilding with composite project" so yeah. . . the Easter Bunny is cutting costs this year, LOL. My two oldest are getting educational type games and the baby is getting a board book. They'll also get some candy of course. I've been trying to cut back on Easter the last few years anyway. Total cost is about $10/kid. We're religious here and I'd rather our family focus on the Christian meaning of Easter and not so much on the commercial aspect (same with Christmas).

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#18 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy23 View Post
Wow it sounds like Christmas in your homes!
All told, I think I'm spending less then $15/child. The felted wool eggs are being made of wool I have on hand from doll making and slipper felting, the root children are being made from a scrap of flannel I have from a costume I made for DS and leftover wool, all the fabric and yarn for knit items I have on hand from various other projects. I bought the wooden animals before Christmas during a co-op buy, so I saved 30% on those, the gardening sets are $3/ each at our local WalMart and their toothbrushes would have been needed anyway.

I try more than anything to make do w/ supplies I have already before I buy them things. These year's items were chosen BECAUSE i have the supplies on hand and didn't have to buy any.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#19 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 PM
mtm

I put temporary tattoos or stickers in my eggs, a few will have chocolate or jelly beans, and my mil sends each of the kids a small chocolate bunny.
#20 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 09:57 PM

We usually put a small favorite toy in the basket. This year DD is getting a Zhu Zhu pet in her basket and DS1 is getting a Thomas the Train. We don't know what DS2 is going to get yet. We then give a little bit of candy but that is about all. Other people had time tested suggestions of sidewalk chalk, bubbles, playdough, etc. Those are always popular and relatively inexpensive.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#21 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 PM

DS will get some chocolate, a few books, some trains (he's obsessed with the thomas trains), some sand toys, a pack of little airplanes and a little egg head thing (the head grows grass). We'll also hide eggs (hopefully outside!) with hershey's kisses, m&m's and some little plastic bugs/frogs in them (for his sandbox).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#22 of 43 Old 03-31-2010, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Got 11 y.o. ds a cap bomb. When I was little my neighbor guy friend had one of these and I was jealous.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#23 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 01:13 AM

Our DD gets one food item in her basket - this year it's a pack of Reese's Pieces shaped like a carrot. The rest is all toys - roller skates, markers & coloring pad for them, and bouncy balls shaped like Easter eggs.
We do an Easter egg hunt, and the eggs are filled with quarters, more bouncy balls (she's obsessed), and some tiny milk chocolate eggs.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#24 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 02:27 AM

I need to check the secret hiding spot to see what is left. I buy all of DD's gifts on Black Friday and then dole them out for Christmas, her birthday (late March), and Easter. They are all gone by then since she is getting older and her tastes change more rapidly. (She just turned 9.)

We're going on our first "real" family vacation next week to a tropical destination....

I have a puzzle to break up into pieces for the eggs (it's a big one to do in the evenings in the condo on vacation; the box will go in the basket to fill it up); swimsuit; 4-pack of panties; and a gold cross necklace with special note from grandma (long story, but it is not a gift from grandma and it is perfect for Easter). I will pick up some jelly beans and robins eggs and one more gift item. We've been going through her clothes and toys picking out appropriate items for our vacation. Offhand, I don't think she needs anything, so it may be something bulky and cheap she can use later on. Her basket is in her bedroom year-round; it holds her very small collection of stuffed animals. She lines the animals up on her dresser and puts the basket downstairs for the Easter Bunny....

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#25 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 08:27 AM

$5 gift cards to the local bookstore are really fun for the kids. Comic books are fun too.

ETA: origami paper is nice for older kids as well.
#26 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We dye hardboiled eggs the day before, then hunt for them on Easter. He might get a chocolate bunny (he requested one this year) or a kinder egg. That's it!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#27 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 09:39 AM

I am putting seeds and new gardening gloves and little shovels in my kids easter baskets this year. Also a new pair of sunglasses and a bottle of sparkly colored sunscreen. We have spent this week getting an area ready to plant so I think they'll be excited.
#28 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 03:07 PM

We always try to put something in their basket that is for spring/summer. So crocs one year, swiss army knives (for camping)...

This year they are getting LED flashlights (for camping) and those "super bounce" balls.

#29 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
wow your easter bunnies are generous!

my kids are getting an easter egg hunt. They'll be hunting for little felted eggs filled with bits of worthy stuff, like seeds and bulbs and finger puppet bunnies (pattern on purlsoho) and also a few chocolates. We have 15 eggs between 3 kids...think I spent about £5 total (about $7, I think) on bits and pieces for the 3 eggs?

ETA: oh yes we do the dyed eggs thing too

tbh though my kids are at a steiner/waldorf kindergarten-they tend to be a bit eastered out by the actual day ;-)

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#30 of 43 Old 04-01-2010, 04:24 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My kids are getting books and beach towels.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page