Heads up about "Riviera" canned soups from Dollar Tree - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2010, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had pretty good luck with food from Dollar Tree. Yeah, packaged stuff, not so good... Last weekend we bought 4 cans of Riviera soups and today I threw all 4 cans out. First, DH prepared me what was supposed to be minestrone. I don't know if it was mislabeled or what but it was nasty. It looked almost like it was split pea, but not enough for me to try it out and see. So I had him dump it and try another can. Minestrone again and this time it was definitely what it was supposed to be. When DH brought it to me to see if it was hot enough, I tasted it and thought I'd never get the nasty taste out of my mouth. Gross! He dumped that and I threw the other 2 unopened cans out. I feel bad but forget it! I guess I'll stick with names I know from now on when it comes to soup. BTW, the dates on the cans were fine, all for next year.

So there's a little heads up for you. Riviera canned soup was a total waste of money, even though it was a good deal for a product like this.

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 PM

You should write them a complaint!

Resistance is futile Matey
Old 04-10-2010, 02:10 PM

I only buy brands that I know and recognize from DT, I've made that type of mistake before. I bought their "stor-it" bags and plastic wrap, can you say crap, they were awful.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 04-11-2010, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Good idea, Thystle! I think the cans are in the recycling bin so I can still get the address without having to copy from a can in the store, lol.

Norasmomma, you're so right about their storage bags, ugh! I'm sticking with brands I know with both food and other products, for sure. And did you ever notice their "honey?" Not actually honey, if you look, it's honey syrup. Gross!

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

Old 09-19-2012, 03:06 PM

Hey hi,

Id  like to clarify to the disgruntled consumer who purchased Riviera soup.  The minestrone is the best I have ever had.  Actually I make all my soup from scratch and I purchased a couple cans of the minestrone and chicken noodle from Kmart to have on hand. I wasn't feeling well and decided to open the chicken noodle. To my surprise the soup was rich in texture, low in calorie and packed full of flavor. I checked the label twice to make certain I didn't need to add water.  Most canned soup taste like the can.

Riviera soup is authentic italian style soup and there is nothing wrong with the minestrone.  When you open it, it will appear dark and very thick. You can add water or heat it up as it is.

This soup is in the top category for quality versus Campbells and Progressive.  The leading brands are watered down and have very little flavor.

I suggest keeping in mind you are opening a can of excellent homestyle italian soup and please try it again. 
I am not an employee or affiliated with Riviera soup in any manner. Im just a happy customer.

Take care and have a good day.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deenany View Post

I am not an employee or affiliated with Riviera soup in any manner. Im just a happy customer.

Doubt that, but welcome to MDC all the same!

Bring back the old MDC
Old 12-12-2013, 12:24 PM

Well, I had to laugh at your post about how awful the Riviera soup looked - I would guess you bought the minestrone, and that does look like split pea soup but more brownish.  This is actually my favorite minestrone soup, - been eating it for years.  I was looking for it online since they don't sell it everywhere here, and found your post.  You most likely threw out good soup.  Most minestrone is tomato-based, but this one is different - more of a beef gravy-ish type.  It doesn't look appetizing at all, but it tastes wonderful, in my opinion.  There should be a date on the can somewhere too.  I hope this helps!  I would have done the same thing if I wasn't sure.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Weird that we have two brand new members talking about this soup, eh?  Oh well I never buy dollar store food anyway.  Actually I never buy canned soup to eat.  My own cooked from scratch soup are so much better. :D  Though I admit I have bought canned soup for donation.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
Old 12-24-2013, 09:01 PM

I never buy dollar store food unless it is brand name. I am a label reader and most of the ingredient list of cheap food reads like chemistry lab potions and experiments. However, I do have to say that my dh works in the food product industry and although he makes the same product it gets shipped to higher end grocery stores and then they change the label and the product gets shipped to walmart or sams club. Same product, different label and different name.

User Tag List