Whats for dinner? That is what is your frugal dinner? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 42 Old 04-26-2010, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use the lentil recipe from this book http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Mot.../dp/0679774106
I got this book over 9 years ago when ds 1 was born and I wanted to batch cook his baby food..the whole family would eat his baby food

Very Quick Lentil Soup

8oz red split lentils (they look orange)
2 large onions , peeled and rough sliced
2 garlic cloves minced
juice of half a lemon
salt and fresh pepper
olive oil
1 tsp of cumin ground (optional)

Put 1 onion, lentils, and garlic into laurge saucepan with 4.c of water

bring to boil

then let simmer for 30min

until tender and soft mix till smooth

then add some lemon juice and some salt and pepper to taste

you can spice it up by adding fried onion in oil (kinda crispy and browned)

add cumin and sprinkle the onions on top prior to serving. I put lemon wedges on the table.

Forgot to mention we had to make an African dish for ds's homeschool group last year

I just used reg brown lentils and and you just toss them in a fry pan with a little butter for a few min and then pour broth over it. Let it cook 20 min ..or not until mushy but soft.

Then season with salt n pepper and lemon with some grated ginger.

It is kinda like a side salad dish..the kids ate it and said they liked it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 05-02-2010, 08:01 PM

OMG! I had the "vegetarian mother and baby book" when I was a new mom, and I even made and froze a bunch of those dishes for when I came home from the hospital with baby boy #2, way back when!
So yes, I second that book and that lentil soup is very good and nourishing.

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#33 of 42 Old 05-02-2010, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Rice and dal is our go-to cheap meal.

Red lentils cooked in water with tumeric till nice and soupy, add whatever veggies we have around, add a scoop of coconut oil (if I have it), serve over basmati rice.

My kids love it and don't know that it is a cheap meal.

When I was a kid, my mom would give us each a shovel and we would dig a potato out of the garden. She would bake them, split them and mash in some cheese. We had no idea she was broke and it was government cheese. Just happy memories of digging up our own dinner.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#34 of 42 Old 05-03-2010, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

yummm lentils! I need to make that rice and lentils dish. DH would LOVE!!!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#35 of 42 Old 05-03-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsymama2008 View Post
It may not be the cheapest meal I cook, but I swear it saves us so much money: home made pizza.

Trader Joe's has pizza dough for $1.29, we top it with Trader Joe's Marinara sauce and whatever cheese and veggies and sometimes meat we have on hand. It only needs to cook for 10 minutes.

It's so much better than any delivery/restaurant pizza we've ever had so now we don't even want to go out
I agree with you about it not being the cheapest (especially since I use organic cheese) but it is still way cheaper than going out and way better than a cheap frozen pizza.

Pizza dough is super simple to make. Flour, water, salt, yeast and maybe a bit of fat/oil. I usually just use bread dough from my "five minutes a day day bread" in the fridge.

Pho is another cheap favorite in our house. It's good for using up the last of the stock from a chicken. Broth (and any chicken), lime, fish sauce, rice noodles, home sprouted mung bean, and I usually have cilantro and basil from my garden most of the year, and any other random things that sound good. It's good because my bland loving DS1 and my spicy loving DH both get what they want.
#36 of 42 Old 05-03-2010, 03:21 PM

We do lentils and rice as a taco filling. Just season it like ground beef (cumin, chili powder, garlic, salt), and it tastes very similar.

Breakfast for dinner is always a hit. Our favorites are biscuits and gravy or migas.

I always have tortillas around, so I make a lot of stuff with that. Chilaquiles, enchiladas, breakfast (egg) tacos, quesadillas, tacos, whatever I can find.
#37 of 42 Old 05-04-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
We do lentils and rice as a taco filling. Just season it like ground beef (cumin, chili powder, garlic, salt), and it tastes very similar.
Breakfast for dinner is always a hit. Our favorites are biscuits and gravy or migas.

I always have tortillas around, so I make a lot of stuff with that. Chilaquiles, enchiladas, breakfast (egg) tacos, quesadillas, tacos, whatever I can find.
Ohhhhh, that sounds yummy. We are doing a cinco de mayo (well octo since its Saturday LOL) and we should make that for our vegan buddies...

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#38 of 42 Old 05-04-2010, 09:47 PM

beans, can of diced tomatoes, italian seasoning, sauteed garlic and onions served over pasta w/parmesan cheese . I always have these things in the pantry, so it's an easy cheap meal at my house. I also make scrambled eggs a lot for a quick and easy dinner. Serve it with some bread and fruit and the kids love it

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#39 of 42 Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 PM

Pierogi Casserole
2 packs of Instant potatoes
1 onion
1 pack of nickel shaped pastan
1 cup of shredded cheese
layered and baked for 30 min. Yum!

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#40 of 42 Old 05-10-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

So we did a big cinco demayo dinner. Since another family also brought spanish rice, we had a TON leftover. So I took the rice, made up a creamy soupy mixture (sort of like a cream of something soup) of onions, peppers and chiptole. Then finely chopped up a container of leftover roasted chicken. Combined it all and added some leftover cheese on top. covered and will store in freezer until we need a take out meal soon. I call it southwestern rice bake.

#41 of 42 Old 05-10-2010, 08:13 PM

Soups
Breakfast
Burritos
Stir Fry
Lentil tacos
Pizza

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#42 of 42 Old 05-11-2010, 08:15 AM

I try to keep a pack of flat bread in the pantry and can always find something to toss onto it to make pizzas...although each member of the family has their own combination they like. Daughters like ham and pineapple, DH and I love ham, pepperoni, bocconcini and mushrooms. DS likes plain cheese and ham.

Tacos
burritos
eggs and bacon
baked beans on toast
macaroni with cheese sauce
tuna pasta bake

SAHM to three

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page