Excel Budget Spreadsheets - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-27-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who all uses a excel spreadsheet to budget?

I have went through several of them and lord knows if i could remember how to i would create my own!

The one I have no handles pretty well (just got done starting to budget for May)

I just wondered if anybody had one they wanted to share? maybe we could use a thread like this?

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#2 of 11 Old 04-28-2010, 01:25 PM

We use Excel, but it's a really simple budget. DH created it and he lists all of our monthly bills on the right side, in order of when they are due. Then on the left we go week by week of what goes in and comes out of our account (groceries, gas, paycheck, and bills). Each week we total, and then we see where we are at the end of the month. Once we have just one week left we start again. HTH!

Nicole, sewmachine.gif Mama to hearts.gif C (4/07) and whistling.gif Z (2/09).

#3 of 11 Old 04-28-2010, 01:38 PM

I don't use excel for budgeting, but can see how helpful (and easy) it would be. I just finished that section of my Microsoft course so I honestly don't have any desire to open or work with that program for a long time. LOL.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 11 Old 04-28-2010, 02:17 PM

I primarily use Quicken for Macs for budgeting. However, I dislike the space/paper waste of Quicken when printing reports, so I export data to Excel and condense it prior to printing. Excel also turns boring tables of data into pretty graphs very easily.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#5 of 11 Old 04-28-2010, 02:18 PM

I use excel for our budget. It's worked well for me for years. I list out columns of each paycheck date, on the left side the rows list each bill, then the amounts of each bill are listed under the appropriate column. Then at the bottom of each column is the total of what all the bills are and then under that is the total of each paycheck. I update/mess with it at least twice a week, so it's definitely a living document that changes as I find out the exact total of a bill or if unexpected things come up.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#6 of 11 Old 04-28-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaLeigh View Post
Who all uses a excel spreadsheet to budget?

I have went through several of them and lord knows if i could remember how to i would create my own!

The one I have no handles pretty well (just got done starting to budget for May)

I just wondered if anybody had one they wanted to share? maybe we could use a thread like this?
I have used an Excel spreadsheet for almost a decade and I find it very helpful. I use it as a weekly budget and have several columns including Housing, Savings, Gas, Entertainment, etc.

If you want to see the actual sheet I will put it on my website and link it here.

afro.jpg TTA #1 through the Foster Care system

10/12 - Orientation

10/12 - Accepted into Foster Family Agency

02/13 - Finished the paperchase
03/13 - Homestudy completed
03/13 - Matching phase

#7 of 11 Old 04-28-2010, 02:40 PM

I get paid every two weeks. So, I listed all my bills in a box area at the top of the sheet. Under that, I created a list that starts with my pay date, and then all the bills to the 15th of the month (generally, trying to not make this complicated) under that, and total the amounts (put the bills in as a negative amount). Then, I start another list under that, and start that list with the next paycheck in the month, and include all the bills due after the 15th. Again, total that column. Whatever is left over can go to savings, or a special purchase.

Because there are more than 4 weeks in a month, every once in a while I get so far ahead of the bills that I can take one whole paycheck and put it in savings. Then, the next paycheck goes to those bills that were due. I schedule out a year in advance, and I usually get 2 of these "pay flips", and sometimes I get three of them.

I also have a column that keeps a running total of my bank account for me.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll send you a sample (with my info taken out, of course), and you can see if it will work for you.
#8 of 11 Old 04-28-2010, 02:56 PM

I use an Excel spreadsheet for budgeting. My version is so easy peasy as to be ridiculous. And that's just how I like it!

I follow Dave Ramsey's advice to give every dollar a name before it comes in the door. I think it's called zero-sum or zero-based or something like that. In other words, I budget every dollar, whether it's going toward a regular bill, savings, my allowance, charitable contributions, groceries, etc.

I get paid twice a month, so I have my budget items separated by what gets paid with each check. Down one side I have all my budget items. In the next column, I list my budgeted allocation for that item. In the next columns, I list what I actually paid. I have a several months at a glance and can easily keep track of how close I am to budget, whether I need to make adjustments, etc.

Not fancy or sophisticated by any means, but it's worked for me for years.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#9 of 11 Old 04-28-2010, 03:47 PM

Try this one:
http://www.gailvazoxlade.com/resources.html
Go under "Interactive Worksheets". There's a budget one there. Lots of great info.
#10 of 11 Old 04-28-2010, 05:59 PM

Pear Budget Spreadsheet

This is what was out before the online version.

We have been using this one for a few months now and I really am liking it. I also am a Quicken user but prefer this budget over Quicken.

Stefanie- Wife to the love of my life Scott. Mom to Skyler (7), Scott Jr (6) and Sienna: (2).
#11 of 11 Old 05-01-2010, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

I'm gonna look at the pear one and see

Its gonna be our first month using any sheet so im gonna try this microsoft one and see if i like it

Keep talking!

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page