Anyone heard of "camperships"? Scholarships for kids to go to camp? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-29-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My older kids are asking to go to camp but some of the places around here are $300 per week, per kid for DAY camp! This article talks about camperships for summer camps for kids - like a scholarship for camp.

Anyone have ideas for keeping camp costs low? My kids are 11 and 8 and really want to do specific camps with skills I don't have (like boating, robotics, etc.). I plan to use some of the ideas in the article, but has anyone here ever heard of getting financial aid from a camp, or have other tips not in the article?
#2 of 6 Old 04-29-2010, 02:43 PM

the YMCA has camps here in Michigan and they have a sliding scale based on income. You have to present your last year's 1040, but the discounts can be quite worth the extra hassle. For a camp that normally costs $400 for a week (residence camp) will cost us about $175.

This link should help you figure out if there's a camp near you.
Good luck! - Jen

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#3 of 6 Old 04-29-2010, 03:50 PM

Yup, lots of camps offer them (I have contributed to one at my old summer camp). I would call the camps directly and ask - it can't hurt!

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#4 of 6 Old 04-29-2010, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My kids do a Campfire USA. There's always a spot on the form to pay less if you need to.
#5 of 6 Old 04-29-2010, 06:01 PM

I went to and worked for YMCA camps for years growing up (and actually ran the horse program at one right before/as I got pregnant with ds1...), and they definetly have scholarships, though I'm not the least bit sure how they work.

If your interested, I'd call the camp(s) your kids are interested in and see what they say. Good luck! Camp is a great thing for kids - DH & I were hoping to make it our carreers, but it just didn't work out for us
#6 of 6 Old 04-29-2010, 10:33 PM
AAK

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
All the camps in our area have some form of financial assistance for the fees. With some you get a discount and some you may qualify for free camp. Each camp is different in our area, so you will need to call each individual camp. Also, many of them only have limited number of scholarships, so call early!

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page