May 2010 Low Income Support Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 85 Old 05-17-2010, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirliknew View Post
Oh, and I am curious. Are there any California residents in this thread that will be negatively impacted by Governor Schwarzenegger's proposed budget cuts. For those of you who don't know the details here are some "highlights":

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Friday called for eliminating California's welfare-to-work program, one of the deep cuts he proposed to close a $19 billion budget deficit in the coming fiscal year.

Slashing the welfare program would affect 1.4 million people, two-thirds of them children. In part, the program helps single mothers find child care while they go to school to learn new skills.
Quote:
He did not follow through on a similar threat to eliminate Healthy Families, which provides health care to nearly 700,000 children from low-income families, because of requirements under the new federal health care law.

Instead, Schwarzenegger proposed cutting $15 million from the program and shifting more of the costs to recipients, including raising the co-payment for emergency room visits from $15 to $50.

If this effects you, what are you going to do now?
It won't affect me personally, but I am really angry about it!!! However I will say that he seems to be good at makeing a lot of threats to get peoples attention & then not follow through on them. Then again he is at the end of his term so he may not care any more.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 85 Old 05-17-2010, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh, and I am curious. Are there any California residents in this thread that will be negatively impacted by Governor Schwarzenegger's proposed budget cuts. For those of you who don't know the details here are some "highlights":

If this effects you, what are you going to do now?
So what do they plan to do then? Most people can not afford the childcare to work.

Seriously?
#63 of 85 Old 05-17-2010, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

My guess is that a lot of currently working people are going to be quitting their jobs to receive welfare benefits again? Not saying all of them, but in some cases they're likely to make more unemployed if this goes through...

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#64 of 85 Old 05-17-2010, 07:37 PM

good job vibes needed over here....SO has an interview Saturday night for an overnight stocker position and still hasn't heard anything.....and we have to come up with $200 by Friday or they will shut off our car until we pay the payment. Right now we are at zero dollars

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#65 of 85 Old 05-18-2010, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I've been away from the boards for awhile... just stopping in to say 'hi'.

So far May has been good. No work, but UE is going smoothly, and benefits are arriving on time. (I hate to say it but that makes a good month around here )

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#66 of 85 Old 05-18-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
My guess is that a lot of currently working people are going to be quitting their jobs to receive welfare benefits again? Not saying all of them, but in some cases they're likely to make more unemployed if this goes through...
This very true! If they can't have help with child care, they can't afford to work. I really don't think it will happen. I think it is empty threats to get people to talk & pay attention, but you do have a very good point!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#67 of 85 Old 05-19-2010, 11:33 AM

Agh, rent is late once again...we have until the 28th to come up with it, but even both of my next two checks entirely will still leave us $100 short. I am so sick of this, something has to come through for us. I feel like we're trying so hard to make all these different things work and so far nothing is.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#68 of 85 Old 05-20-2010, 09:57 AM

Hey all,
Just checking in to say that so far this week has been okay.
shh...keep your fingers crossed.

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#69 of 85 Old 05-20-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
Agh, rent is late once again...we have until the 28th to come up with it, but even both of my next two checks entirely will still leave us $100 short. I am so sick of this, something has to come through for us. I feel like we're trying so hard to make all these different things work and so far nothing is.
I feel yah! dh's unemployment ran out in April and unless the fliping taxes come back before the end of the month (long story dh forgot to send some paperwork with the taxes and it's taking forever to get back), the mortgage will not be paid on time

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#70 of 85 Old 05-20-2010, 11:27 AM

DH is coming home for the weekend But that also means his next paycheck isn't going to be as much as usual. We've been trying really hard to save as much as possible so that our rent/bills will be paid until I get my student money and DH finds a local job once the school year begins. It's been a little difficult since we keep getting court summons for our debt we haven't been able to pay However, since we just moved into our new house, I am looking forward to having DH help me start our garden and get things in the house set up the way I want them.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#71 of 85 Old 05-20-2010, 04:32 PM

Just thought I'd check in and update.

I'm so glad this month is almost over . . . even though that means less time before we have the baby and a new slew of bills for June. I just feel like, "we made it one more month!" whoo hoo

So I went to the WIC appointment and managed to get the soy/tofu rec without a doc's referral, yay! I also ended up with a lead to work with them as a breastfeeding peer counselor; I filled out the application, and I have an interview next Tuesday, yay! So the WIC thing was a blessing all around; I'm so glad I pursued it! If I get hired, I think I can do the training before the baby comes, take a little time and come back and start working afterward--the best part is I'd get to bring the infant for my office hrs (5hrs a wk), and WAHM for the other 10hrs. I'd have to figure out child care for dd, tho, for the hrs. I'm working in office . . .

I called to reschedule my medicaid appointment and nobody called me back so I "missed" my appointment in their eyes---so stupid. I guess I should call back again. Drives me crazy how it seems like WE have to crack the whip to make dhs do their job, at least that's been my experience.

I have an apt. w/ food stamps to recertify . . . I am so sick of jumping thru all these hoops! It really takes a lot of time and energy and I'm wondering how this gap will be filled when I start working for $ again.

I'm starting my "real" job again the first week of June. I don't really want to do it. It is 3 hrs a wk and I get paid a pretty good hourly wage, but it's really mentally stressful---I teach an introductory art class to adults, and it just takes a lot of prep time at home and I have this pressure to be this brilliant art leader and produce all this inspired work . . . I just don't have the energy for that right now. Plus, I have to invest my own $ in the materials ahead of time and then they reimburse me, but the reimbursal doesn't quite seem to cover my costs . . . I'm doing it more for my professional reputation and to keep my options open for the future rather than the $.

The home hunt is going . . . slowly. All the places in our price range are in the ghetto or really tiny or really really old and filled with lead paint and a ton of needed repairs. I just hope we get into our home before our baby arrives . . .

Happy and in love with my family!
#72 of 85 Old 05-20-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post

So I went to the WIC appointment and managed to get the soy/tofu rec without a doc's referral, yay! I also ended up with a lead to work with them as a breastfeeding peer counselor; I filled out the application, and I have an interview next Tuesday, yay! So the WIC thing was a blessing all around; I'm so glad I pursued it! If I get hired, I think I can do the training before the baby comes, take a little time and come back and start working afterward--the best part is I'd get to bring the infant for my office hrs (5hrs a wk), and WAHM for the other 10hrs. I'd have to figure out child care for dd, tho, for the hrs. I'm working in office . . .
Awesome! I was a BF peer counselor with my WIC clinic and I love it!!!

#73 of 85 Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well, DH found out today that he got denied for Disability so it's time to start appealing.

And the apartment inspector is coming tomorrow to hopefully deem my apartment unlivable so we can break our lease (termites, black mold, etc). BUT the only time he can come is right when my WIC appointment is scheduled so now I have to reschedule that and it will probably by another month.

Oh well, hopefully moving again soon.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#74 of 85 Old 05-20-2010, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well, i don't post much around here, we are waiting to see if we get our first mortgage in a couple weeks, and / or to see if the city condemns the crappy house we live in. We may have to put our stuff in storage and camp for a couple weeks if there is a gap. All the while I am planning to l e a v e.

the cheapest way by far to be gluten free is to find a southeast asian store. thai cuisine is traditionally all gluten free (they use fish sauce not soy sauce) and so the rice flour from thailand is not cross-contaminated in the grinder. tapioca starch is also really cheap at the asian market. bette hagman's flour recipe is 2.f c brown rice fl. 2 c white rice flour 3/4 cup plus 2 T tapioca starch ditto potato starch and 1/2 cup corn starch, + 3 T xanthan gum or guar gum. Guar is by far cheaper, and I have good results using cheap white rice flour and any other gluten free flour, and also just using whatever starch i have on hand but keeping to hagman's proportions (since I haven't found cheap potato starch). you can get large bags of gram flour, which is chickpea flour, at indian or international markets. maseca, the cheapo instant corn masa, is milled at a gluten free facility. quaker grits are also milled gluten free, i think. my point is everything doesn't have to be bob's red mill- some of the cheap crap is also gluten free. start calling the companies that make generics found in your areas about their 'modified food starch' ingredients.
#75 of 85 Old 05-20-2010, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
tomorrow I have a doctor appointment and then a wic appointment. I'm also grabbing an application for hud. I really would like to get out of my current apartment, but we'll see what happens. I can't really complain too much though, we have food in our bellies and a roof over our head.
#76 of 85 Old 05-21-2010, 07:21 PM

Ack! Got a letter in the mail today quoting that the surgery I thought was going to be pro bono is nearly $2000! I had to go lay down for a bit

Really, I can't even be shocked or upset. They are still giving me care well below the cost of what they normally charge because they know how dire my situation is. I just wish I would've gotten the letter BEFORE two weeks before the surgery is scheduled.

I'm just kind of laughing in a way because it's like, what else can we get thrown at us? This year has been so crazy--dp and I have never been hit with so many major unexpected expenses.

Since our psycho roommate was evicted (which I am glad glad glad for), our rent went up to $1000 per month . . . dp makes like $200 more than that. I'm not looking for a pity party I'm just like . . . how in the hell? I wish we could break our lease, but we don't really have anywhere to go, are planning a homebirth in 8-12 wks, and are trying to find a house we can purchase. So we are going month to month here til we close on a house and will just be scraping by. We will somehow figure it out.

*squeak squeak*

Hope everybody else is doing all right and somehow keeping those frayed shoestrings tied together

#77 of 85 Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 PM

Hm, so we got a letter saying we are at the top of the waiting list for Sec 8- I guess that's good, but I have to have a place ready for inspection by June 1?! (The place we are in will not qualify.) There are no rentals locally.
#78 of 85 Old 05-25-2010, 11:18 AM

Well, DH is jobless again.. hopefully he'll find something again real soon.

#79 of 85 Old 05-25-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Oh no! I know he was coming home for the weekend, was this unexpected? I am so sorry! I hope he finds something wonderful & local VERY quickly!!!

#80 of 85 Old 05-25-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I'm sorry My dh is job searching at the moment too. Unforcunatly there is not much out there Is he getting unemployment at least? Ours ran out in April

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#81 of 85 Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
Oh no! I know he was coming home for the weekend, was this unexpected? I am so sorry! I hope he finds something wonderful & local VERY quickly!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewp11100 View Post
I'm sorry My dh is job searching at the moment too. Unforcunatly there is not much out there Is he getting unemployment at least? Ours ran out in April
Thanks.. there was a mis-communication and he got laid off earlier than expected. We do have a little bit of savings, but not enough to last through the summer until I get my pell grant money. I think he's going to look for more film work (what he was doing) for the summer- even though I HATE it, and he is gone all the time, it's what pays the best right now, which will float us until he finds a "normal" job.. the town we move to, though, is just a little college town- not much to choose from here. We'll see. I soooo sooo sooo hate not knowing when he will be working again!

#82 of 85 Old 05-29-2010, 09:56 PM

Another big fat medical bill . . . but the good news is that I'm getting the care that I need, and the doctors are willing to take monthly payments.

Still waiting to hear about that job, probably going to find out next week.

The best news! We found a house we really like! It's pushing our price range, but what's new? Everything else in the same price range was CRAP and not even live-able or needed thousands of dollars of work up front, and this place is ready to move in and really in great shape! So we put in an offer and are hoping to close by the end of June, if all goes well.

This has been the most challenging month dp and I have been through together. We literally have every dollar tied up in major expenses, and don't have any $ for the "regular" bills and costs. I know that it will settle down after June . . . things will get better after June . . . things will get better after June . . .

Got a letter saying our re-cert for foodstamps was in-eligible, wth? I KNOW we are eligible. So I have to do the phone tag dance all over that, but I think that we will end up being approved. I just hate it when the wires get crossed and you have to cut through even more red tape than usual for human services.

We got our Medicaid, though. Not that it makes that much of a difference right now because my major medical expenses are not coverable (home birth and dental implants for congenital issues), but at least the *kids* will be covered, and me in case we have a hospital transfer.

Everything is going down, NEXT WEEK! Next week is zero week for me. So many things to do before Wednesday, when I go into surgery . . .

#83 of 85 Old 05-30-2010, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

I am SO stressed. We have fallen so far behind. I owe $595 in rent on the first and don't have a penny toward it. DH will probably get around $375 on Friday and then we're still short. I am going to try to go through community ministries and see if I can get some of it taken care of.
Yesterday I just paid off the two months I am behind on car insurance so it didn't get cancelled. Now I have another month ($111) due on the 12th. Plus I am two months behind on electricty (luckily only $80). And cable/internet (only been paying minimum payments of $80 for past three months and owe $200 now). So I'm going to let the cable and internet get cut off. But that still leaves me with about $790 of bills this month and $120 in gas ($906). I will get about $1100 this month in DH's paycheck but I'm going to fall behind again. I am so overwhelmed.
And DH found out he got denied for SSI. Apparently, even though he is legally blind, he's not blind enough for SSI. So we get to appeal that.

#84 of 85 Old 05-31-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
I am SO stressed. We have fallen so far behind. I owe $595 in rent on the first and don't have a penny toward it. DH will probably get around $375 on Friday and then we're still short. I am going to try to go through community ministries and see if I can get some of it taken care of.
Yesterday I just paid off the two months I am behind on car insurance so it didn't get cancelled. Now I have another month ($111) due on the 12th. Plus I am two months behind on electricty (luckily only $80). And cable/internet (only been paying minimum payments of $80 for past three months and owe $200 now). So I'm going to let the cable and internet get cut off. But that still leaves me with about $790 of bills this month and $120 in gas ($906). I will get about $1100 this month in DH's paycheck but I'm going to fall behind again. I am so overwhelmed.
And DH found out he got denied for SSI. Apparently, even though he is legally blind, he's not blind enough for SSI. So we get to appeal that.
I am sorry! I hope things ease up for you soon!

#85 of 85 Old 05-31-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
I am sorry! I hope things ease up for you soon!
Thank you so much. I hate even thinking about this, but I might end up having to take out a lien on my car if I can't get the money from Community Ministries. And that sucks because they usually charge you Twice what you're taking out....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page