May 2010 Low Income Support Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 85 Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're only 4 days late. lol.

How's it going? I hope well.

I need to vent to people who understand so here goes.
This week we have had 3 unauthorized charges on our account that will overdraw us and the bank said that all they will cover is the unauthorized charges themselves, not anything that those charges cause to overdraw.
We had very heavy rains and my apartment is halfway underground which caused water to seep into our house and ruin all the electronics we were going to sell.
My car is squeaking and I have no clue why.
My internet will be cut off any minute now, hopefully it will wait until Friday when I can pay the minimum payment, but if not it will cost $300 to reconnect.
I feel like screaming right now.

treehugger.gif Mom to jammin.gifDS7 and Peace.gifDD4.  Full time Social Work studentgeek.gif.
#2 of 85 Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
TGIK ss about the bank and the rain, any chance you have renters insurance?

May is going well here... positive thoughts

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 85 Old 05-05-2010, 08:55 AM

Subbing
#4 of 85 Old 05-05-2010, 10:32 AM

TGIK, sounds like you are having a Terrible May already. Sending hugs your way.

Actually, my May hasn't started out too great either.
The battery in my car died, so I had to buy a new one, and now I have to get the temperature gauge replaced in the car, too. Sigh...

Plus, I might have to move this summer.
The landlord (and his daughter, who is the Actual owner of the building) are thinking about putting the house on the market (good luck with that, there are 15 houses for sale on my block alone, and most of them have been for sale for longer than 6 months) At least it gives me an excuse to move out of New Britain, which is slowly dying. More businesses are leaving here than are coming back in (hell, even Wal-Mart left!!)

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#5 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
i was just thinking of starting this thread.

So I recently found out I was pregnant. I just made a doctor's appointment for this Friday. I am trying to get medicaid for pregnancy as a secondary insurance but I don't have it yet, so this doctor's visit will be out of pocket. Thankfully it's only a twenty dollar co pay, and twenty bucks for any labs/tests they want to do ontop of that. My last pregnancy they drew blood after my first appointment, but I'm going to a new office so I'm not sure.

I also have to get my mom's mother's day gift, buy a few odds and ends around the house and pay some bills so the paycheck is pretty much spent, lol. I'm hoping we can go to a matinee or a quick meal or something, but that may not be.

Overall though things have been going well. I was having a lot of nausea and was lucky enough to find some candied ginger my hubby bought long, long ago. It cleared me up and it was free!

I'm stressing a little thinking about whether I should move or not, thinking of the few things I need for the new baby, etc but I know I have time and I'm a creative lady so things will work out.
#6 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 10:08 AM

Well I FINALY got the bank to clear my direct deposit..

I made a payment on my rent, I went grocery shopping, I did laundry..For the first day since April 1st I can RELAX! Next check is already spent with cable bill and rent but at least stuff is getting paid down. The worst feeling in the world is to have zilch money and try to figure out how your gonna get through! Still no medicaid/food stamps. The caseworker after 2 weeks of calling and calling never once called me back to give me a new appointment. So I am just going to apply for medicaid online and screw going in and dealing with the system. I am going to have to pick up more hours now that things are getting more stable. Maybe I will be able to buy some baby stuff before River makes her appearance next month???? Would be really great to have some onsies and sleepers since the smallest thing we have in the house is a 2T!

Hugs to all of you going through the same thing! I am really glad this group is here, sometimes we just need people who understand!

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain
#7 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 11:42 AM

Well we made May's mortgage payment I'm not sure about June at this point. I have no money for food except for WIC checks till food stamps gets deposited on the 12th, we are mostly eating our side of beef and thankfully have a good pantry stockpile. I recently dignosed (oviously self diagnosed as I have no health insurence but couldn't think of another word for it) with Celicas and have been going gluten free (feeling much better btw, I was already dairy free). I need to clear out my frige and pantry . Cross contamination is a big issue with Celiacs, for instance, I can't used the tub of earth's balence because it has toast crumbs in it. I need to get GF verities that cost a fortune, but for now I'm just eating rice, lots of rice... I hate rice I'm hoping my student husband gets a good paying job at the end of the semester (June because of the huge snow here pushing things back). But his previous employer probably will not hire him back so who knows. I really need to et health care as fast as possible but it's usually a 90 day-1 year wait

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#8 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 02:17 PM

I'm hoping hat May shapes up as well as it's started too. I'm hoping that for once, the light at the end of the tunnel doesn't turn out to be yet another train bearing down.

After having been jerked around with a job offer that never firmed up, I started sending applications out again. I found a decent job, with decent benefits... just finished all the 'new hire' paperwork, then have two weeks of training. I'm returning to health care, which will leave me some time to continue writing and covering news. It will also um- pay the bills? YAY!

Trying to decide if I want to stay here and save money or move to a bigger place for my sanity. The place in question is across the street from my new job. Talk about an easy commute. Anyway, I'm hoping to resolve that question this weekend as I really weigh my options. I've been so broke for a while that the idea of taking on additional expenses scares me even though they would be well within our means... $400+/month for the place, but about $150 less per month for heating/cooling expenses, $50 less for water, savings on gas for the car.. and so on.. really weighing my options right now. The prospect of a place that feels like home just calls to me though (we'd be buying it on a contract for deed...)
#9 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewp11100 View Post
I recently dignosed (oviously self diagnosed as I have no health insurence but couldn't think of another word for it) with Celicas and have been going gluten free (feeling much better btw, I was already dairy free). I need to clear out my frige and pantry . Cross contamination is a big issue with Celiacs, for instance, I can't used the tub of earth's balence because it has toast crumbs in it. I need to get GF verities that cost a fortune, but for now I'm just eating rice, lots of rice... I hate rice

Being new to the diet sucks but after almost 10 years of being GF its not all that expensive. Earth Balance is GF, you just need to buy a new tub which is about $3 and mark it so no one else uses it. Why are you eating rice? There is no reason for it. Skip using prepackaged stuff and actually cook a meal from scratch. Most meats in what ever form are GF as are most cheeses (excluding the really cheap fake ones). Almost all Farmer John pork products are GF if you eat pork. I buy my flours in bulk, every month I bought 1 25lb bag until I had like 6 different flours that I commonly use. I only buy the small 1.5lb Bobs Red Mill bags for things I don't need a lot of like Amaranth and Quinoa. Although I would buy the 6lb bags of it if my hfs could get it. We use it mostly for junk food baking though I think the only premade thing I buy is Udi's Whole Grain bread but at $5 loaf its flippin $$$, well it is when you can go though 16 loaves in a month (were all GF)

Anyway GF doesn't mean breaking the bank, tonight for dinner the kids are having BBQ curly q hotdogs, corn on the cob, deviled eggs and sliced tomatos's (total cost about $1 for 2 kids). I however am eating a burrito using the GF ivory teff tortillas from La Tortilla that are awesome (soft and pliable unlike every other brand). Inside the fillings will be taco meat (ground turkey with taco seasoning using a recipe I got on allrecipes.com), lettuce, tomatos, onion and chedder cheese. If I wasn't feeling so lazy I would make corn salsa and use it in place of the cheese and serve it up with Pace or La Victoria Salsa. If we had any made I would probably add spanish rice to it too. Tomorrow's dinner is BBQ'd chicken thighs, potato salad, deviled eggs, left over corn and watermelon if I can find space in the fridge (.10cents lb yesterday!). Whole meal for 3 people will cost about $4. FYI, Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce is GF and here its often on sale 10/$10. Lunch tomorrow is either turkey or egg salad sandwiches with Lays classic potato chips.

If you like Oatmeal you can get about a months worth from Bobs Red Mill for about $7 and mix in stuff you like. Tip: cook it in a rice cooker, comes out perfect every time. I burn the tar out of it on the stove and its yukky in the crockpot.

Seriously?
#10 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 01:03 AM

We moved on May 1st & are still living among boxes, but it is getting a little better everyday. I am so glad it is over. The last few weeks have been aweful! We have rent covered until August (unless something catastrophic happens) but if DH doesn't sell (& close escrow, a 30-60 day process) atleast 1 house before then I don't know what we will do. In the mean time we are watching every penny to stretch what we do have as long as possible.

However, because of the change of address (atleast I am hoping that is why) we still haven't recieved Dh's unemployment check we should have gotten on Monday & it is now Thursday evening. I think if it doesn't show up by Sat I will encourage DH to visit the unemployment office on Monday. He will not be happy with that idea

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#11 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confustication View Post
Trying to decide if I want to stay here and save money or move to a bigger place for my sanity. The place in question is across the street from my new job. Talk about an easy commute. Anyway, I'm hoping to resolve that question this weekend as I really weigh my options. I've been so broke for a while that the idea of taking on additional expenses scares me even though they would be well within our means... $400+/month for the place, but about $150 less per month for heating/cooling expenses, $50 less for water, savings on gas for the car.. and so on.. really weighing my options right now. The prospect of a place that feels like home just calls to me though (we'd be buying it on a contract for deed...)
Sounds like it would work out to be just about the same cost wise. Keep in mind the cost of your time too. If you are spending money on convience foods to get meals cooked faster due to the longer commute keep those expenses in mind too. Good luck making your choice!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#12 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
We moved on May 1st & are still living among boxes, but it is getting a little better everyday. I am so glad it is over. The last few weeks have been aweful! We have rent covered until August (unless something catastrophic happens) but if DH doesn't sell (& close escrow, a 30-60 day process) atleast 1 house before then I don't know what we will do. In the mean time we are watching every penny to stretch what we do have as long as possible.

However, because of the change of address (atleast I am hoping that is why) we still haven't recieved Dh's unemployment check we should have gotten on Monday & it is now Thursday evening. I think if it doesn't show up by Sat I will encourage DH to visit the unemployment office on Monday. He will not be happy with that idea
You still get UE checks?? Here its either direct depo or they load it onto a debit card. They phased out checks years ago, huge cost savings for the state (or so they said). I would check and see if you can get a debit card, its loaded the next day and there is no 'lost in the mail' issues.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#13 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 02:27 AM

I notified food stamps (I get sixteen dollars a month) that we had an increase in our household, went from 1 kid to 2. Same income, same sixteen dollars though. They sent me a confirmation of the change report, and that my benefit was not increasing. I'm still frustrated over that. My SSDI plus the dependent benefit (1/2 of mine) isn't all that much, but enough to disqualify us from food stamps? I think it is because I don't pay rent, so they don't take that out of the calculations.
#14 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Being new to the diet sucks but after almost 10 years of being GF its not all that expensive. Earth Balance is GF, you just need to buy a new tub which is about $3 and mark it so no one else uses it. Why are you eating rice? There is no reason for it. Skip using prepackaged stuff and actually cook a meal from scratch. Most meats in what ever form are GF as are most cheeses (excluding the really cheap fake ones). Almost all Farmer John pork products are GF if you eat pork. I buy my flours in bulk, every month I bought 1 25lb bag until I had like 6 different flours that I commonly use. I only buy the small 1.5lb Bobs Red Mill bags for things I don't need a lot of like Amaranth and Quinoa. Although I would buy the 6lb bags of it if my hfs could get it. We use it mostly for junk food baking though I think the only premade thing I buy is Udi's Whole Grain bread but at $5 loaf its flippin $$$, well it is when you can go though 16 loaves in a month (were all GF)

Anyway GF doesn't mean breaking the bank, tonight for dinner the kids are having BBQ curly q hotdogs, corn on the cob, deviled eggs and sliced tomatos's (total cost about $1 for 2 kids). I however am eating a burrito using the GF ivory teff tortillas from La Tortilla that are awesome (soft and pliable unlike every other brand). Inside the fillings will be taco meat (ground turkey with taco seasoning using a recipe I got on allrecipes.com), lettuce, tomatos, onion and chedder cheese. If I wasn't feeling so lazy I would make corn salsa and use it in place of the cheese and serve it up with Pace or La Victoria Salsa. If we had any made I would probably add spanish rice to it too. Tomorrow's dinner is BBQ'd chicken thighs, potato salad, deviled eggs, left over corn and watermelon if I can find space in the fridge (.10cents lb yesterday!). Whole meal for 3 people will cost about $4. FYI, Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce is GF and here its often on sale 10/$10. Lunch tomorrow is either turkey or egg salad sandwiches with Lays classic potato chips.

If you like Oatmeal you can get about a months worth from Bobs Red Mill for about $7 and mix in stuff you like. Tip: cook it in a rice cooker, comes out perfect every time. I burn the tar out of it on the stove and its yukky in the crockpot.
I know GF doesn't have to be expensive, right now spending 3$ for a new tub seems like a lit of money. We have about $25 and a few WIC checks to last us till our food stamps comes in next week. SO replacing all the condiments is not high on my priority list. I'm eating out of what we have and we happen to have a TON of rice, lol. WHich I know is safe. Luckaly we also have a side of beef in the freezer, slowly dwindling. I haven't tried oats yet. I want to slowly add things back to make sure I know what my sensativity is. But hey tonight I decided it's time to add chocolate!!!! (we happen to have a huge bag of semi sweet chocolate )

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#15 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
You still get UE checks?? Here its either direct depo or they load it onto a debit card. They phased out checks years ago, huge cost savings for the state (or so they said). I would check and see if you can get a debit card, its loaded the next day and there is no 'lost in the mail' issues.
Uggh! No direct deposit or debit cards would make way too much sense for the state of CA to do. When DH started his real estate training we went over 6 weeks without a check. It was ridiculous! I am hoping they are just taking a few extra days to process the change of address & not stop everything until they can set up a phone interview & leave us without money for 6 weeks again.

#16 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Satori...What is curly Q barbecued hot dog? Is that just hot dog sliced up with sauce? Your kids have alot of the same food allergies that mine does and I am looking for some fresh ideas...Care to give me some menu ideas??? We are Dairy,Gluten and Soy free..stage 1 or 2 is fine...I tend to stay away from corn syrup as well...

May isn't coming in like a lamb around here...I just spend all my savings getting my van fixed..The Transmission

Back in the shop it went yesterday...I could cry because it has taken every penny I had saved to move us into our new apartment June 1st for these repairs...I have to have a vehicle to get to my jobs..But we have to move..This apartment is creeping with mold and when we move out will have to have some serious work done to it..It is so bad they don't even know if they will even rent it out anymore..Don't know what I am going to do

But ...I do have a tiny bit of hope right now..My supervisor gave her notice..I am putting in for the job..Good news is I have the years exsperience on my side..Bad news is everyone is applying for this job..Everyone needs a job around here..They haven't even posted it yet and oodles of people are calling already.The competition will be stiff..I really don't think I will end up getting it because so many people are more qualified than I am but I am hoping that my familiarity with the parents and staff will help.If I get this job I will probably be able to quit my weekend job and spend more time with the baby and get the bills paid on time and actually be okay financially...I think..I had my first semi interview a couple days ago with the head supervisor..I kept both her kids...I hope that helps She said they hadn't worked out all the details of the position yet but would probably post them next week when they officially start taking the applications for it...

I am nervous nervous nervous....Think good thoughts everyone...Pray.... whatever you feel comfy doing...I would really appreciate everything you have got!!!
#17 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 02:06 PM

cwat, you're in NB? I'm in Bristol!

May is going ok here. Our food stamps got bumped up a bit because I'm pregnant, so that's good. I can make that extra $60 go a long way at Aldi's.
Dh is still hunting for a job. I'm glad he got another extension to his unemployment. Without that, we'd be sunk.
Right now the only thing that's really stressful is our electric bill. We set up a payment plan with CL&P, but wow, they stuck it to us. It's not easy to come up with an extra $360 a month when you only have $256 coming in a week.
#18 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye_bebe View Post
I notified food stamps (I get sixteen dollars a month) that we had an increase in our household, went from 1 kid to 2. Same income, same sixteen dollars though. They sent me a confirmation of the change report, and that my benefit was not increasing. I'm still frustrated over that. My SSDI plus the dependent benefit (1/2 of mine) isn't all that much, but enough to disqualify us from food stamps? I think it is because I don't pay rent, so they don't take that out of the calculations.
Yes rent is a huge part of FS calculations. If you arent paying rent you seriously get screwed on bene's. Thats why you always want to pay rent. Even if your 'rent' goes toward something else in the end. I give my roommate 'rent', she gives me a recipet and then I have proof for DES. She can also write a letter every 6 mos for re-cert if they so wish.

#19 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 02:36 PM

Ok so now I am really freaking out! I remembered that unemployment has an automated phone system to check on your payments. They say that they send out Dh's check on 4/29 & they recognized the new zip code so they did the addy change & the post office probably returned the check instead of delivering it. This means that once UE gets the returned check they are likely to put DH's acct on hold again until they can set up a ph interview. Last time that took 6 weeks!!!

I don't know how to tell DH this. He is already so mad all the because he is so stressed about money. I can't take this anymore!!!! I just don't know what to do & I can't handle his being so angry all the time. I understand he is stressed, I am too, but it isn't fair to the rest of us for him to act that way. I am already an emotional wreck & trying REALLY hard to stay calm for this baby (and my other kids) but it just isn't working.

#20 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
Ok so now I am really freaking out! I remembered that unemployment has an automated phone system to check on your payments. They say that they send out Dh's check on 4/29 & they recognized the new zip code so they did the addy change & the post office probably returned the check instead of delivering it. This means that once UE gets the returned check they are likely to put DH's acct on hold again until they can set up a ph interview. Last time that took 6 weeks!!!

I don't know how to tell DH this. He is already so mad all the because he is so stressed about money. I can't take this anymore!!!! I just don't know what to do & I can't handle his being so angry all the time. I understand he is stressed, I am too, but it isn't fair to the rest of us for him to act that way. I am already an emotional wreck & trying REALLY hard to stay calm for this baby (and my other kids) but it just isn't working.
My UE has a number you can call for problems. Granted its hidden in the 'push 1 for this push 2 for that' but eventuall you can get a live person.
It may not take a phone interview and 6 weeks, what it may take a persistence and patience.

Not that it helps you now but, I use a PO box for all my mail. Ive moved many times in the past 8 years and my mailing address has always stayed the same. If Direct depo or a debit card isnt an option maybe a PO box would be the way to go if you move alot?

#21 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 03:46 PM

Yeah, what zebra15 said. We've had some probs with dh's UE, but once he had the patience to sit on the phone for over an hour, he could get a live person. Granted, most of them are some real...what's a polite way to put this?...cranky people themselves, we were still able to get things straightened out.
Good luck!
#22 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 03:51 PM

FishBounce
Small world

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#23 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 04:37 PM

Hi all

May I join in? I did not know this was an ongoing thread.

We are a low income family living on one full time wage at $8.50/hr US. Both parents are students, though I took this semester off to teach an 8 wk art class that paid me about $500. We homeschool our oldest, who is 6 and in 1st grade, and we are expecting a new little one at the end of July (I know, I need a sig line but I just can't ever think of anything clever!).

We've been making it all right until we had to evict or roommate---I confronted him (for about the 4th time) about eating our food (at night, sneakily, after dp and I went to bed), and he totally lost it and became violent. I'm glad he's out because after he left, we found all manner of disturbing stuff indicating that he wasn't just a jerk but dangerous. I guess he was justifying not buying his own groceries by the fact that we get food stamps--but we get about $50/wk! Very sketchy to just feed ourselves on, even with lots of cooking from scratch. So I told him 'every time you reach in there and take out food that is not yours, you are stealing from a pregnant woman and a needy family' which is true!

So our rent doubled for May and June; our lease is up at the end of June, and we (miraculously) were approved for a home loan (w/ cosigner). So we are really seeking hard for our home before we have our baby.

The baby! That's another thing--we are paying our midwife out of pocket to attend us at home--$3500, but she is taking 250/mo. Hopefully we will be all settled in our new house . . . life has been pretty chaotic through this whole pregnancy; we actually moved into where we are a couple weeks before Xmas, hoping this place would be better and then it all started going downhill with the roomie.

Anyways. My partner is stressed and hates his job, and I have some SAHM guilt. Part of the reason I haven't worked for a year or so is because I have MAJOR dental work that is needed for me to be comfortable working in the public (I have a congenital issue that means my adult teeth never came in). Can't get disability for it, though it totally limits me, and can't get medicaid to pay any of it, though I totally need a prosthetic--in my mind it's akin to being born without a hand or whatever--yeah I can get by but I feel really self-conscious and have to alter a lot of my daily activities because of it.

I'm having "the last" surgery June 2 and supposedly I will have my grill then but it has been four years of major surgeries--implants and bone grafts, and every penny I've had has gone toward it with lots of student loans for the same purpose, etc. At this point, I am blessed that the docs are donating a lot of time and materials.

I just want this crap to be over with and to settle into our new home with our new baby! Then maybe start thinking about getting a part time job again.

So that's all. Long intro! I am watching out for the silver lining, but we have been living in a storm for so long now.

Happy and in love with my family!
#24 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 07:42 PM

HI all, I was able to get a Dr's appt today at 445. I have stomach probs that will not go away. I hope I can get a new gastro referral. The one I got back in dec didnt work out and I need solutions. I hate State Health insurance, it truly limits what dr's we can and can not see, this having to go back to the pcp for referrals is a PIA .... But i need answers.

This is more than just an ulcer and the pain is getting worse. There will be no answers today, but hopefully a referral from MY list of dr's.

I would love to know if the pain is from celiac, adhesions, ulcers, or something totally different.

#25 of 85 Old 05-09-2010, 06:13 AM

Subbing!
My husband got laid off in March-he's had a good job but we had a lot of debt we were trying to pay off and ended up foreclosing on our house last fall so all in all, we have no money and no savings. We had moved inti an RV full time when we lost the house and that's been our savig grace. We moved from Fl to Live in my parents yard in Oh while my husband searches for jobs. I'm pregnant too which makes everything that much more stressful (at least we don't have to buy baby stuff, I saved all my son's things here at my mom's) at least we were able to get wic and Medicaid easily enough. I'm working on food stamps because FL unemplyment sucks and with all the debt we still have (even with free place to stay) and paying electric nd such weare barely having enough to eat. My dad is unemplyed too so we can't really get any financial help
from my parents.
Anyway jist wanted to post a quick intro. Hopefully I can learn a thing or 2.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#26 of 85 Old 05-09-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlea View Post
I'm working on food stamps because FL unemplyment sucks and with all the debt we still have (even with free place to stay) and paying electric nd such weare barely having enough to eat.
Have you concidered bankruptcy? I know it isn't what people want to do, but if it comes down to eating or paying the creditors, the creditors should come LAST. Sorry you are in this situation! It sucks. We just moved into an apartment (that we have no idea if we will be able to pay for after Aug) last week & the short sale on our home should be closing soon. We are also in process of a bankruptcy once the short sale closes. All after DH lost his job 7 months ago So I can understand how you my be feeling.

ETA: I just saw you in the Aug DDC, I forgot to say I am preggo too. So I understand that added stress as well

#27 of 85 Old 05-10-2010, 12:43 PM

Our FS got increased! I'm the only source of income for our household, yet they weren't counting my boyfriend as a member of the household...just my son and I. My sister lives with us too, but she's still a minor (she's 17) so I don't think I could claim her as a dependent anyway...but just having them count my boyfriend gave us a huge increase so we definitely won't run out of $ at the end of the month.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#28 of 85 Old 05-10-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
Our FS got increased! I'm the only source of income for our household, yet they weren't counting my boyfriend as a member of the household...just my son and I. My sister lives with us too, but she's still a minor (she's 17) so I don't think I could claim her as a dependent anyway...but just having them count my boyfriend gave us a huge increase so we definitely won't run out of $ at the end of the month.
If your supporting her then she is a member of your household and is eligible.

Seriously?
#29 of 85 Old 05-10-2010, 03:07 PM

ugh! I am going to SCREAM! This is totally going to sound like an ungrateful post and I'm not ungrateful, I am just frustrated that for once I assumed everyone had done there job and let things go.

We go to the hospital tomorrow, its 170 miles away and an over night trip.

Our ins co is supposed to give us gas vouchers, something some where got screwed up and the agency that sends out the checks never got the order to do so. So this morning I've been having fun getting that straightened out. Our case manager says its now taken care of and she will call to confirm that the check will be ready tomorrow morning for pick up. It was supposed to be mailed last week as the place is an hour away. Thankfully its on the way to the hospital but were already cutting it close on getting to our first appt and now I have to stop and pick up the check then run to the bank to cash it and then full up the car (rental and they never seem to have more then 1/4-1/2 tank). Its going to take about an hour I'm guessing to get all this done.

argh! Just checked with the lab to make sure we can get our labs done since were trying to make this a 1 day trip and needed to make sure we can get them done in time. Lab reminds me to check the order and nope, its missing the Dr's sig and ICD9 code. We can't get over there today to get it added to the order and we have to leave at 8am, Dr's office doesn't open until 10am tomorrow. There going to fax it down yeah... right... I've lost count of the number of times an order was faxed down and it either never made it or the lab lost it! I no longer allow faxing and demand a hard copy of the order but stupid me didn't think to check for sig and ICD9, when its the immuno writing the order I KNOW to check it because he forgets 90% of the time but the pedi is more on top of things but this time the nurse wrote it out and well..ugh. My fault, should have checked it before leaving the office.

Then we have our lodging issues, a MONTH ago I called our social worker at the hospital to get us on the list for a room at the Ronald McDonald House ($15 night, way cheaper then a hotel), our worker was out on vacation so I had another worker do it. She messed up (this is the 3rd time this same worker has messed up!) and put us on the list for the 3rd when I made it clear I needed the 11th! Thankfully the house manager knows us really well since its been our home away from home for 9 years now and fixed it for us. So this morning I call to see where we are on the list and nope, no post it for us putting us on the list so no room. House manager vaguely remembers conversation and puts us back on the list and bumps us to the top of the list since we did call a month ago so we should get a room.

Now I get to decide, we manged to get our appts all in one day now unless one clinic fits us in at the last minute and that would mean keeping the car rental an extra day which adds about $50 to the trip. If not we can either come home the same day we went up which makes for a REALLY long day. Its about 3 hours each way then our actual appts which should take about 6 hours total. So 12 hour day, fun! We do it in the winter during RSV season and trust me, it sucks and your dead on your feet the next day, that extra 3 hours of driving kills you even when its just 1-2 hours of appts. So I'm hoping to stay the night at RMH and just leave at 5am so I can have the car back to the rental place when they open at 8am and save myself another days rental and not be totally dead on my feet that day.

Did I mention the kids have been fighting like cats and dogs all morning too? sigh... please let this day improve!

I'll imagine myself with a nice comfy lifestyle where I own my car, I can afford gas money and a hotel room all on my own rather then having to deal with this hassle! Maybe one day it will be a reality

Seriously?
#30 of 85 Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I've been away, mommas. My sister and I were planning a huge yard sale all last week, and then had if Friday and Saturday and it was a bust because it ended up being cold and windy. We actually made ~$250 BUT 4 people contributed and it had to be split 4 ways which was only about $60 and I owe my sister like $300 for helping with rent this month so I only got to keep about $25.

And I got notice on Friday that my food stamps were cancelled (for the 3rd time in the past year) because for some reason my caseworker doesn't do her job. I went and transfered to a new food stamps office today since I moved recently anyway. I reapplied with a great caseworker but she said it could take up to 30 days and that we made too much money to apply for "emergency assistance" in the meantime. So we have very little food to last til who knows when?

treehugger.gif Mom to jammin.gifDS7 and Peace.gifDD4.  Full time Social Work studentgeek.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page