swagbucks: worth my time or waste of time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so a few people here mentioned swagbucks, and i signed up for it today.
how long does it take you to usually accumulate the points enough to redeem them for something?
do you ever sign up for their "special offers" in order to get more bucks?
any tips anyone on how to get more for the time you spend there?
#2 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 06:19 PM

I have the tool bar installed, so do seraches thru that several times a day. Today alone I've netted 18 swagbucks already. I average a 450 swagbucks every 20 days or so, and immediately cash them in for $5 gift card to Amazon.
I've been a member for the past year or so, but have had strecthes where I didn't search thru their site, once I installed the tool bar, it's easier for me to use.
In total I've redeemed $70 of gift cards to Amazon.

I don't feel that it's been really any more effort all in all. Occasionally I will have to do the same seach thru yahoo or google to get better results, but at least 80% of the time swagbucks finds what I am searching for.

Also, you can send invites to people, when they sign up under your referral, you can earn matching swagbucks as well. it can really add up. Me, I have 2 referrals that I think stopped using the site after a week or so, as I have like almost no referral earned swagbucks, but if your referral is active, it can really help you build a great point base.

For me it's worth the extreme minimal effort that I expend to search thru them first.
#3 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 07:05 PM

I agree with teh PP. I only have one referral and typically earn enough swagbucks for 1 or 2 $5 amazom.com gift cards per month. It's free money for searches I'd do anyway. I also use the toolbar.

I do look for the codes when they are released.
#4 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 07:24 PM

I definitely agree; download the toolbar and just use it the way you'd use Google. That way you won't spend any extra time there.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#5 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 07:29 PM

I use it and love it. I would say I get a good hit on the searches, with out scrolling down 95% of the time. I was getting about 4 $5 amazon cards a month but that has slowed alot recently, when they went to the new point system.
#6 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 08:02 PM

If you really wanna rake in the Swagbucks, you have to be evangelical and get your family and friends to sign up and earn for you.

They even have a $5 off card that works at a site that sells cloth diapers and cloth pads! I've bought 7 awesome OS pocket diapers and gotten $35 off PLUS 10% off for return purchases. Nice!
#7 of 25 Old 05-16-2010, 08:12 PM

I'd say worth it. I have only been a member since February and have already made $45 in Amazon giftcards solely by using it as my search engine. I am saving up for a much needed new cookware set on Amazon. Download the Toolbar and just do your searches from there.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#8 of 25 Old 05-16-2010, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammaarah View Post
If you really wanna rake in the Swagbucks, you have to be evangelical and get your family and friends to sign up and earn for you.

They even have a $5 off card that works at a site that sells cloth diapers and cloth pads! I've bought 7 awesome OS pocket diapers and gotten $35 off PLUS 10% off for return purchases. Nice!
Ooh, can I ask what gift card that is?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#9 of 25 Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It doesn't hurt to try it. I doubt that I'll ever be able to pay for Christmas with it, but I've gotten a few $5 Amazon gift cards out of it. I search for things through Google and such online everyday anyway, so it doesn't really take much time out of my day to use a different search engine.

I also follow SwagBucks on Twitter so I can get some of their code alerts. I tend to miss about 70% of them because I'm not at the computer when they get posted, but I don't sweat it much. I just think of those as bonuses.

I haven't downloaded the "swidget", although a lot of SwagBucks users do. I just have someone else's swidget bookmarked and peek at that from time to time instead. Works just as well!

Bottom line: not a lot of effort, pays off every now and then.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#10 of 25 Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I use their toolbar, but don't really go out of my way to do anything else. I get Amazon gift cards that help feed my Kindle, but that's about it.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#11 of 25 Old 05-17-2010, 07:45 PM

I'd say that it's absolutely worth doing, as with neetling - I also earn about $10.00 a month in Amazon gift certificates.

One good thing about those are that you can stack them and also redeem them and have them as credit at Amazon.

Right now I have $15.00 credit and now 2 - $5.00 gift cards coming from Swagbucks and have a $10.00 card coming from Freeride!

Dee Jaye
#12 of 25 Old 05-18-2010, 03:50 AM

FWIW, I seem to be earning more SwagBucks after downloading the toolbar.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#13 of 25 Old 05-18-2010, 10:30 AM

dee.jaye, what are neetling and Freeride?
#14 of 25 Old 05-18-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post
dee.jaye, what are neetling and Freeride?
neetling is a poster on this thread, she was agreeing with what that poster said

freeride is an online survey site that one can earn rewards thru as well.
#15 of 25 Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 PM

I'm a neetling *waves*
#16 of 25 Old 05-18-2010, 12:41 PM

#17 of 25 Old 05-18-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post
neetling is a poster on this thread, she was agreeing with what that poster said

freeride is an online survey site that one can earn rewards thru as well.
Gotcha! LOL. Thanks!
#18 of 25 Old 05-26-2010, 05:52 AM

I think it's easy too. It's better if you have it linked thru your FB account, because that's how all my referrals joined. I just started in March and have $25 in Amazon g/c so far, which may not seem like a lot, but at this pace I can pay for the kid's Christmas this way. And it requires me to do basically nothing. I do use it to search things I have bookmarked, like mothering.com,etc because sometimes I get points for that. I also did the $8 Netflix offer and got the points for that.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#19 of 25 Old 05-26-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMommy View Post
I think it's easy too. It's better if you have it linked thru your FB account, because that's how all my referrals joined. I just started in March and have $25 in Amazon g/c so far, which may not seem like a lot, but at this pace I can pay for the kid's Christmas this way. And it requires me to do basically nothing. I do use it to search things I have bookmarked, like mothering.com,etc because sometimes I get points for that. I also did the $8 Netflix offer and got the points for that.
How do you have it linked through your fb account? Do you just become a fan?
#20 of 25 Old 05-26-2010, 01:41 PM

I think on the swagbucks page there is a link under one of the tabs at the top about linking it to your FB page. Or when you win points it has the option to post it to your FB page. When it does that, it posts your referral link, which is how people sign up under you (you get part of their points I think.)

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#21 of 25 Old 05-26-2010, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

i just searched for sth on swagbucks and it didnt give me points right away for searching, but when i went beyond page one, they gave me 11 sb! woohoo
#22 of 25 Old 07-23-2010, 10:59 PM

Just wanted to share a tip for maximizing points..

I will run a search and if i don't get point right away...i will choose a link, go to it then click the arrow to go back to the previous page (the swag listed searches page) and that usually results 1 out of 5 times in points.

Sometimes, especially on Fridays, late at nite while i'm doing other work on the computer i'll have a swag window open and i'll just search the most random things that come to my head for the sake of searching and go to every link on the first result page (and then back) to get points.

I still have yet to get point from any of the surveys but i can rack them up pretty quickly if i use my method.

Another tip for music lovers-

I get a few full albums (mp3 downloads) for free every month. Amazon picks 100 albums each month to go on sale for $5. New and old releases you can something worthwhile everytime.
#23 of 25 Old 07-24-2010, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'll be the voice of dissent. Swagbucks just wasn't for me. I don't do a lot of searches, and I'm sort of "get in and get out" when it comes to my internet usage if that makes sense. I never did the toolbar though. I've found surveys more worth my while because I actually remember to use them. That said, if you DO like to do searches swagbucks can be great.
#24 of 25 Old 07-24-2010, 01:51 PM

I do Swagbucks. I have the toolbar installed.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#25 of 25 Old 07-24-2010, 11:39 PM

I use the tool bar all the time, almost never go to swagbucks site directly other than doing a ramdom daily poll or cashing out for my $5 Amazon gift card that I rack up about every 20 days or so. So very worth it for me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page