Scholarships - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-13-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Does anyone know if you can receive a Pell Grant if you also receive a full-ride athletic scholarship?

We expect my son to get a full-ride basketball scholarship, but he would easily qualify for a Pell Grant on our income/family size. He will have some expenses not covered by the scholarship, ie. laptop, etc. We have NO wiggle room to help him w/these expenses.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 05-13-2010, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I doubt it. Pell grants take into consideration how much of the college expenses could be covered, and it sounds like "all" of them, for the most part.

At your local library, you should find at least one or two reference books that are about 3 inches thick, full of the normal and the "oddball" scholarships/grants. They even have scholarships for things like left-handed blond boys over 6' that like to sing in the shower... O.K., well, that's exaggerating, but you get the point. My nephew got one because he has a congenital liver disease. Go figure.

You might also ask around in your community. You could, for example, ask the Rotary Club to sponsor a laptop for your ds in exchange for him volunteering during the summer for a week-long basketball camp.

Lots of ways to fund college... look around and get creative! Good luck!

ETA: Congrats to your athlete, too!
#3 of 9 Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 PM

Probably not. I just applied for a scholorship from my school and my understanding is that if I get it, it will be less money from the pell grant. Which, is kinda silly to even apply considering I qualify for the full pell grant and it covers all my classes and books - but I figure I'd cover all my bases and give it a shot anyway. I don't care where the money comes from as long as it's there, yk?

Definitely check his University's bookstore. Mine has low cost computers (including lap tops) - some used, some they got for cheaper buying in bulk with a school discount. Anyhow, the scholarship and/or other financial aid can be used to buy supplies there.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 9 Old 05-14-2010, 06:42 PM

Actually, he might still qualify, depending on the scholarship. Each school has a "cost of attendance" that includes tuition, books, room & board, etc. If the scholarship only covers tuition, you might still be eligible for a pell grant, depending on your income.

Generally, financial aid offices take the cost of attendance - the expected family contribution (from the fafsa) - any scholarships and will come up with a finanical aid award package.

I'm not 100% sure though. I've had small scholarships, not full rides, but they've never caused my pell grant to be reduced. I think your best bet is to fill out the fafsa and talk with the financial aid office. They can often increase your cost of attendance if necessary for expenses they didn't include (like the laptop).
#5 of 9 Old 05-15-2010, 11:40 AM

I don't know about your son specifically, but I am getting a full tuition scholarship and will still be receiving the pell grant.

Congrats to your son!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#6 of 9 Old 05-15-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I don't know about your son specifically, but I am getting a full tuition scholarship and will still be receiving the pell grant.
I did too. But it's been about 10 years.
#7 of 9 Old 05-15-2010, 12:48 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
or he could always take out a student loan. But definitely apply for the grant and see what happens.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#8 of 9 Old 05-15-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zersha View Post
Actually, he might still qualify, depending on the scholarship. Each school has a "cost of attendance" that includes tuition, books, room & board, etc. If the scholarship only covers tuition, you might still be eligible for a pell grant, depending on your income.

Generally, financial aid offices take the cost of attendance - the expected family contribution (from the fafsa) - any scholarships and will come up with a finanical aid award package.

I'm not 100% sure though. I've had small scholarships, not full rides, but they've never caused my pell grant to be reduced. I think your best bet is to fill out the fafsa and talk with the financial aid office. They can often increase your cost of attendance if necessary for expenses they didn't include (like the laptop).
This is my understanding, as well. Good Luck!!
#9 of 9 Old 05-17-2010, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post

Congrats to your son!
Congrats to you!

Thanks all! I guess we need to fill out a FAFSA, but this next year will be his senior year so I guess we'll wait and see what kind of offers he gets.

After researching all these grants and scholarships I am thinking about going back to school!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page