Disney on the cheap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
PJJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, please no flames...
I have lost the FIVE year battle with DH about the DisneyWorld vacation.

Anyone went recently/or have any frugal ideas.

Thanks for reading mamas!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 10:00 PM

i had a friend who did. they lucked out and a friend gave them a week in a time share (totally lucky). she packed a good deal of her own food, brought along a crock pot and dinner was ready when they returned. they also packed snacks and lunch in backpacks. her major expense was the park passes. i think she said that they spent less than $1,000 for the week, including gasoline. for disney, that's cheap.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:13 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
We went to the disneyland outlet to get our souvenirs. We had heard about it and the people at our hotel knew where it was so they gave us directions. Each kid got to pick out a sweatshirt or t-shirt at like 50-80% off. Some were clearly seasonal, but we found plenty to choose from that wasn't. Also, the princess outfits were dirt cheap, but we weren't going for one of them.

Also, look at all the options for tickets before you buy. We got a pass at Costco for southern CA. For us, it was the best deal because we were actually planning on going to those.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (12), Maya (8). 
Old 05-29-2010, 11:48 PM

If you want to stay onsite, use the campground.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:53 AM

for tickets, google coupons for reduced admission.

if you are military, i think it is free admission.

fl residents get cheaper admission.

our coupon for 10% off admission was way cheaper than the concierge at the hotel (off site)

camp! lots of great camping around orlando.

we stayed in a 2 bedroom suite 1 mile from disney for (2 families) $100 a nite per couple and it was very nice.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 AM

We stayed onsite (all star resort) last year. It was alright, but definitely small and cramped with no amenities (no internet unless you pay per day, mini fridge costs $10/day, etc). We got a great deal on a package though (hotel and tickets) so I can't complain.

We leave on Friday to go again. This time we are staying at a hotel off site (Quality Suites). Free high speed wireless internet (any hotel we stay at has to have internet because I still have school work to do on vacation and dp still has to check his work while on vacation), a small kitchen in each room, a semi-separate bedroom (with 2 queen beds), free breakfast every morning, outdoor pool and (the most important for us)- no pets or smoking allowed (lots of allergies here so it's hard to find a hotel we can stay at!). I think it was about $80/night. I think it's only like 2 miles away from disney world and we drive so will have our car anyway.

Our tickets were the most expensive part of our trip, we got them through AAA .

We eat breakfast in the hotel, head to the park for the morning, come back for lunch (also eaten in the hotel), go swimming and relax. Then in the afternoon (when it's not so hot) we go back to the park. We usually bring some snacks too. We sometimes eat dinner at the park or at downtown disney or somewhere (but dinner is usually eaten out somewhere... we are on vacation and want to enjoy it!).

We didn't really do many souvenirs. When we went to the walmart to stock up on food for the week we let ds pick a couple of the little stuffed characters (way cheaper than getting them in the parks!). We also went to a little discount shop and got ds a t-shirt for a couple dollars.

For gas (driving from kentucky to disneyworld), hotel(s) (we stay overnight at a hotel in Georgia on the way to florida and on the way back so it's 3 different hotels for the vacation for a total of 9 nights), park tickets (7 days, 3 people), parking (if you stay on-site parking is free, if you don't then you pay parking every day), food, souvenirs, etc.... for everything we will spend related to the vacation it will be less than $2000. That's not bad in Disney terms

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 05-30-2010, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not sure how the deals would compare in disney versus tampa.... but when we did a tampa busch gardens vacation last year, we initially booked a slightly-off site suite for about $80 a night... but 4 days before we left (still time to cancel the suite) we looked on "vacation rental by owner" and low-balled a couple of home owners who hadn't rented their places for the coming week.... since they could either rent to us, cheaply, or get no income for the property that week, we got a great deal-- 7 nights in a 3 bedroom HOUSE (full kitchen, large family room, computer with free internet, covered porch, garage, washer/dryer, neighborhood playground and pool) for about $600...with no taxes/fees since it wasn't a hotel. we ate all breakfasts and dinners at the house, and packed almost all the food we could use during the day. we didn't usually eat a big traditional lunch but lots of snacks, supplemented with icecream or some treat.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:55 AM

Look for a hotel that offers free breakfast, and has a fridge. You can save a lot by limiting the purchase of food in the park, using the shuttle service ( parking is $12 at the park), visiting the disney outlet or other outside gift shop for souvenirs. I live about 20 mins from disney, so feel free to PM me if you want more info about the area.

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:47 PM

Look on Craigslist in Orlando for cheap tickets. Lots of park employees sell their extra freebees. Also check ebay for vacation condo/house rentals. Lots of Internationally held vacation homes get rented by rental companies when not in use by the owners.

Think about skipping disney for a day and checking out Rock Springs at Kelly Park, 1 hour north of Disney in Apopka FL. Its a really cool (72 degree crystal clear spring water alternative to all the theme park madness. You can hike around a little and spend the day floating down the spring run in innertubes you rent outside the park for $3. Park admission is $5 a carload I think. Pack a picnic lunch or hit the concession stand.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie View Post
Look on Craigslist in Orlando for cheap tickets. Lots of park employees sell their extra freebees. Also check ebay for vacation condo/house rentals. Lots of Internationally held vacation homes get rented by rental companies when not in use by the owners.

Think about skipping disney for a day and checking out Rock Springs at Kelly Park, 1 hour north of Disney in Apopka FL. Its a really cool (72 degree crystal clear spring water alternative to all the theme park madness. You can hike around a little and spend the day floating down the spring run in innertubes you rent outside the park for $3. Park admission is $5 a carload I think. Pack a picnic lunch or hit the concession stand.
I'd be really careful with buying tickets off Craigslist. It sounds like an excellent way to get burned to me.

If you are going and are going to spend several days in the parks, incremental days are really cheap. A seven day adult ticket is only a few dollars more than a 6 day ticket.

I'd spend some time at www.disboards.com doing research. There's a wealth of information. Also, check to see if your public library has the Unofficial Guide to Disney World.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
I'd be really careful with buying tickets off Craigslist. It sounds like an excellent way to get burned to me.

If you are going and are going to spend several days in the parks, incremental days are really cheap. A seven day adult ticket is only a few dollars more than a 6 day ticket.

I'd spend some time at www.disboards.com doing research. There's a wealth of information. Also, check to see if your public library has the Unofficial Guide to Disney World.

Yes... please don't buy tickets on Craigslist. There have been several scams in Orlando with people selling invalid tickets on craigslist. Don't ruin your vacation.

I also recommend Coco Key water resort as an alternative to the Disney water parks. One day passes are less than $20 a person. We went a couple of weekends ago and had a blast!

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:07 AM

We went in September and had SO much fun! And we definitely went on the cheap. We rented a timeshare through this site
http://www.mouseowners.com/ and stayed at The Animal Kingdom Villas. We needed the space, and more importantly, the kitchen. We cooked 2 of three meal a day in the room. There's an online grocer who delivers to Disney. We wanted to try some of the restaurants so budgeted for that (BTW, you need reservations months in advance for many of them). As far as souvenirs went, I hit the Disney store clearance section before we went and gave it to the kids on the plane. Other than that, I bought a kitchen towel. I also shipped myself a box of snack foods. Fruit was really expensive through the online grocer, so my carry on was full of apples, bananas and grapes.

We are looking into going in and sharing a timeshare rental with friends.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:49 AM

Great suggestions already given. I only have a small one to add.

We're bringing a filtered water bottle. It's been a few years since I was last there but everyone I talk to says the water is yucky. But you can ask for ice water at most counter service places and it's free! So we're pouring that into the bottle to carry with throughout the day rather than buying tons or carrying a bunch.

User Tag List