thrifty baby options - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
My daycare baby will be here in under 2 weeks now and I still don't have any accomodations for her really. All our baby stuff was destroyed in a flood 2 months ago. I am making a sling but I don't know what else I truly NEED for her. She's going to be 7 weeks old when I get her. Mom is providing diapers and breastmilk or formula. I am thinking I can get by with just a pack n play maybe? I will have 4 other children here at the same time so I really want a safe place to lie her down so that the bigger ones won't knock her off the bed or fall on top of her or whatever. The older ones are 2 1/2, 5, 5, and 10 and all rowdy little girls. Any thoughts on obtaining only what I truly NEED for her and doing it cheaply? Consignment shops have yielded nothing so far and craigslist has been a bust. Both myself and little baby's mama have been looking for 2 weeks. Literally all I have for a little one are some blankets to lay her on the floor on and the sling I am making tonight. That's it. I know babies NEED very little and I don't plan on investing in big stuff since I don't hav ethe budget or the room.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#2 of 8 Old 06-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NAK
ask a friend or neighbor if they have one their not using
#3 of 8 Old 06-01-2010, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You could try asking on freecycle. Calling churches is another option.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 8 Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 AM

I think all you really need is a place to lay the baby down, like a bassinet or pack and play (longer life). Even at Walmart, brand new, you can get them for $75. Later on (like in 4-5 months), it might be nice to have a high chair/booster seat, but you have time for one of those to show up at a garage sale/craigslist.

I'd send out a facebook request or email all your friends and ask them if they have one you can borrow. You'd probably be surprised.
#5 of 8 Old 06-02-2010, 10:32 AM

I agree, I think all you need right now is a pack and play. If you can't find one to borrow, try garage sales or craigslist.

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
#6 of 8 Old 06-02-2010, 11:13 AM

i would try thrift stores, rummage sales and freecycle for a pack & play. you should be able to get one for $10-$20. if you were local, i'd give you mine (which i've never used). oh - that reminds me. i never used it because i always put my babes in a bouncy seat.
#7 of 8 Old 06-02-2010, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
thanks everyone for suggestions. i just wondered if there was something I was completely missing. guess not. i will just keep plugging away at craigslist and hope for the best. got 2 friends with kids who might have one i can borrow so i'll try them too. i mean, for right now the little thing could sleep in a laundry basket but she's gonna outgrow that FAST! I know her mom would understand and have a litlte chuckle with me about the laundry basket since she's helping me find the pack n play and she's a friend though.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#8 of 8 Old 06-02-2010, 05:20 PM

Do you have an Ikea near you? I run a home daycare as well, and we joke that this is 'the house that Ikea built'. You can get toys, blankets, change pads, kids dishes, play mats, etc. there for c.h.e.a.p. I have three Ikea highchairs in my dining room right now, and the best part is that they stack onto each other so I can easily get them out of the way to sweep the floors.

But other than that, definitely borrow or pick up second hand what you can. It would be great to have a pack n play, maybe a swing, and maybe an exersaucer in a little while, but babies use these things for such a short time that it would likely be a waste to purchase them new for a daycare babe. Are garage sales popular in your area? I get do a lot of daycare purchasing there too.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page