Anyone get rid of their smart phone? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 06-06-2010, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for starting this thread and I am glad I read it.

I have been debating with myself for about a year about getting an iPhone...and I think now that I won't.

I am already on the computer way too much and I don't need access to the internet when I am away from home. Just not something that would be good for me.

I have a regular cell phone I carry in my purse. That's enough I think for me.

Dh has a iPhone and he will check it sometimes while with us and it bothers me.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#32 of 48 Old 06-06-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
I still have my landline (and DSL) with AT&T. That's $50 a month - landline is on lowest plan and I can always increase it if necessary. But frankly, I'm a very heavy email user and that's why I don't use the voice plan on my iPhone much. I could easily go to Walmart or Target, pay $20-30 for a Tracfone and minutes as I go.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1438
Do you have Cricket Mobile in your area? Their cheapest plan is $30 for unlimited voice and long distance, and $40 for unlimited voice, text, internet, 411. First month is always free. You can buy a new phone or flash an old one over to Cricket. I have Cricket and wouldn't switch.

treehugger.gif Mom to jammin.gifDS7 and Peace.gifDD4.  Full time Social Work studentgeek.gif.
#33 of 48 Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirliknew View Post
Do you have Cricket Mobile in your area? Their cheapest plan is $30 for unlimited voice and long distance, and $40 for unlimited voice, text, internet, 411. First month is always free. You can buy a new phone or flash an old one over to Cricket. I have Cricket and wouldn't switch.
Yes, but I've already made the switch to Tracfone. I'm happy.

lady.gif
#34 of 48 Old 06-07-2010, 06:04 PM

another story in NY times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/te...brain.html?hpw

I read it this morning. FTR, the guy in the article is 43, just a few years older than me. I first saw his pic and thought he was in his mid 50s. Yet another reason to stay away from all that.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#35 of 48 Old 06-07-2010, 06:05 PM

I got rid of my Blackberry (Went back to Tracfone) and am saving like $1000 a year!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#36 of 48 Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
I got rid of my Blackberry (Went back to Tracfone) and am saving like $1000 a year!

Yep, that's about what I'll be saving, too! Old number was moved to Tracfone phone today. Works just fine. Called a friend or two and they couldn't believe I was on a $30 phone.

Because of the minute-doubling phone and an additional 100 minute bonus when you transfer a number to Tracfone, I ended up with 425 days of service and 900 something minutes!

lady.gif
#37 of 48 Old 06-10-2010, 05:17 PM

I really needed this thread! I, too, have been wanting an iphone but I know I don't need one. Dh doesn't want me to get one and if it weren't for him discouraging me I would have bought one by now. I just keep telling myself, I don't need it, I don't need it. Life is complicated enough, I don't want to become attached to the thing.
#38 of 48 Old 06-10-2010, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lily View Post
I am not getting rid of one, but I am deliberately not getting one in the first place.
I'm with you on this. We never get the best advertised phones though-- I always ask only one question to the sales guy. If I dropped this in the toilet, what are the chances it would still work?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#39 of 48 Old 06-11-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjasmine View Post
I really needed this thread! I, too, have been wanting an iphone but I know I don't need one. Dh doesn't want me to get one and if it weren't for him discouraging me I would have bought one by now. I just keep telling myself, I don't need it, I don't need it. Life is complicated enough, I don't want to become attached to the thing.
amen to that sister!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#40 of 48 Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 PM

I have an iPhone and pay $100 per YEAR to use it.

It's a hand-me-down, more than two years old, so it's not tied to any contract. I have wifi available in my house and at my office, so the internet parts work while I'm there. Otherwise, I have t-mobile pay-as-you go (10c per min, I use an average of 1000 min per year), which costs me $100 per year but doesn't give me any internet capabilities. It's plenty good enough. I can only text from within my house or school, which feels pretty silly, but whatever.

Aven
#41 of 48 Old 06-11-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
another story in NY times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/te...brain.html?hpw

I read it this morning. FTR, the guy in the article is 43, just a few years older than me. I first saw his pic and thought he was in his mid 50s. Yet another reason to stay away from all that.
There was another recent NYT article, maybe in Room For Debate, about iPhones and the Internet being addictive because each time you access something, be it an email or information, you not only get positive reinforcement, your brain gets a dopamine squirt. They said the brain's reaction was comparable to the reactions of experiencing not entertainment, but sex or food. That really freaks me out, and explains why I'm going to have to remove our laptop from the kitchen table. DH and I are huge on family meals and being mentally and physically present, yet we literally have to force ourselves not to look at it when we're at the table.
#42 of 48 Old 06-11-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
I have noticed the older generations meaning almost 40 plus,

Older generations? 40 plus? You young whippersnappers these days are really rude you know.

I'm 42, and do not consider myself "older generation".
#43 of 48 Old 06-12-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
There was another recent NYT article, maybe in Room For Debate, about iPhones and the Internet being addictive because each time you access something, be it an email or information, you not only get positive reinforcement, your brain gets a dopamine squirt. They said the brain's reaction was comparable to the reactions of experiencing not entertainment, but sex or food. That really freaks me out, and explains why I'm going to have to remove our laptop from the kitchen table. DH and I are huge on family meals and being mentally and physically present, yet we literally have to force ourselves not to look at it when we're at the table.
I am dealing with this myself. I have a Blackberry in part because of my job and the fact that I am able to do a lot of my work outside the office but I have to be available. Yet in the year since I have had it, I feel my concentration shifting in ways I am not happy with at all. I find that when its on and I am checking email (or FB, etc) its like I am in the zone and get tense. Yet turn it off and things change.

Would love to get rid of it at times but the alternative would be more time in the office which I don't care for.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#44 of 48 Old 06-13-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
They talked about this article on NPR last night. Very interesting and sobering, too. Apparently it hampers "long thought" in people's brains because modern technology is so distracting and addicting. It changes the way our brain thinks. In fact, they said that the invention of the Gutenberg press did the very same thing as people took up reading on a mass scale. Some companies are coming to the realization that their employees really can't multitask very well for the most part and are seeking to remedy that. Too distracting and breaks concentration and focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
I am dealing with this myself. I have a Blackberry in part because of my job and the fact that I am able to do a lot of my work outside the office but I have to be available. Yet in the year since I have had it, I feel my concentration shifting in ways I am not happy with at all. I find that when its on and I am checking email (or FB, etc) its like I am in the zone and get tense. Yet turn it off and things change.

Would love to get rid of it at times but the alternative would be more time in the office which I don't care for.
My husband has a blackberry from work and any calls and emails coming to his office phone and pc also show up on it. It drives him nuts because he gets notifications day and night.
#45 of 48 Old 06-13-2010, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I'm 42, too, and was thinking the same thing. Older, hah!
#46 of 48 Old 06-14-2010, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdir...sionId=5120368

tracphone slider w/double minutes included for $29 and free shipping
#47 of 48 Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Curious View Post
http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdir...sionId=5120368

tracphone slider w/double minutes included for $29 and free shipping
Yep, that's the phone I got, just bought it at Target instead.

lady.gif
#48 of 48 Old 06-15-2010, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
can someone, either here or pm, tell me the best way to view mdc on an itouch?
plus any other itouch hints. the family just got a free one this weekend and so far it's just used for games.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page