Mothering Forum banner

Anyone get rid of their smart phone?

5K views 47 replies 31 participants last post by  chel 
#1 ·
This is a spin-off of a thread about smart phones in TAO:

I love my iPhone, I really do. But I'm addicted. A friend calls it my "Precious."

It's costly. Yes, a LOT of money. $80 a month for me with my year old iPhone 3G. I'm beginning to consider getting rid of it. I looked up my contract on the AT&T website tonight and my cancellation fee is $175, but something like $5 less a month for each month closer to the end of my contract. Since I've had it for a little more than a year, that would take the cancellation fee down to something like $110 or so. I went from a Tracfone to my iPhone. It was like going from a Pinto to a Porsche! I have no need for it - it was a want, not a need. Man, that $80 a month could go into paying off my $2K in credit card debt, as well as savings for the major dental work I need (two implants and some other stuff, I've always had bad teeth). I'm looking at a minimum of $5K in dental work.

I've got the lowest voice plan of 450 minutes a month, and I've NEVER used all of them. I use email much, much more. Do I need to have email with me all the time? Absolutely NOT! I have something like 4000 minutes that I have available to roll over. And they're beginning to expire!

There's also the distraction factor - and not only while driving. My iPhone sits on my desk and I'll check MDC or email throughout the day. I would check my personal email at lunchtime, but do I need it throughout the day? NO! I do a lot of volunteer stuff, but I can do that at night. I can use work email for small personal things - like to be on my church's email list to alert me of anything emergency happenings, like a death or hospitalization (small congregation).

I still have my landline (and DSL) with AT&T. That's $50 a month - landline is on lowest plan and I can always increase it if necessary. But frankly, I'm a very heavy email user and that's why I don't use the voice plan on my iPhone much. I could easily go to Walmart or Target, pay $20-30 for a Tracfone and minutes as I go.

I could then use my iPhone as an iPod Touch, I think. Yes, I can! - found it online.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406

I just have to figure out how to remove SIM card from iPhone, as per Apple instructions. I posted a question on Apple support forums asking that question. I use iPhone on my wireless network when home, anyway. I'd have that when I travel a bit, or the new little netbook I just got.

Anyone else? Man, would I save a lot of money! Pros and cons?

OK, I just figured out how to remove SIM card. I found it on Apple website I never noticed that! http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1438

See less See more
#5 ·
I have an iphone that I stopped getting service for last october when my dh lost his job. It was the original from 2007 so the data plan was a little cheaper, but we just couldn't afford it. Thank goodness we weren't in a contract anymore either. Now I have a go phone that I pay around $15 a month for and use my iphone with our wifi around the house or for the music. I can't upload anymore music or upgrade for the apps without the service though. I dunno, I'm content now after not having my iphone, but I know a lot of people that would choose to give up other things before their phone.

#6 ·
I am not getting rid of one, but I am deliberately not getting one in the first place. My three-year contract on my Krazr has come due and my provider (I am in Canada) sent me an offer to get a free smart phone if I re-sign for another three years. But I very, very rarely use my phone to make calls and don't text. I really just need a phone for emergencies.

But the smart phones are so tempting. Oh so tempting. But the last thing I need to do is increase monthly expenses by adding a data plan. So instead I am cancelling my contract and going to pay as you go. But I still want a phone.

#7 ·
Um, I'm with Drummer's Wife.

We have first generation iPhones (2 phones, 2 data plans, family talk plan = $106/mo all taxes included) and neither of us is giving them up. I included $110 in our basic monthly expenses for "emergency savings" purposes just for the phones.
We have 10 month's worth of [total] basic expenses saved, so we're okay with the iPhones.

We ditched the landline phone and got an Ooma Hub (older than Teleo) in 2009, so we no longer pay anything for our house phone. (No cell phones of any kind work well in our home, although the iPhone works the best of all the cells that have been tried here.) We also ditched all the extra cable fees and only pay for basic TV channels + high speed internet (= $58/mo all taxes included). Our only debt is our mortgage, though....

#8 ·
I deliberately do not have a smart phone. All I want my phone to do is make phone calls.

I DO however have a PDA. Yeah, those things that smartphones "replaced?" That's what I have. It was $150, and it doesn't go online ANYWHERE, but anyplace that has a hot spot, I can get online. Which really is just about anywhere. It has a pocket windows operating system, and nearly every single program that a smart phone can use-word, excel, media player etc, I have a pocket version of on my pda. It in fact uses the same sync software that the smart phones use with the computer, so my Vista based laptop can still sync with my pda. And, whenever I can get online, I can make and send emails too. So basically, it does everything that a smart phone can do, except make phone calls (oh and take pics, but I wouldn't ever use my phone for pics anyway.) And, no montly fee for it. Since I can't get online just anywhere, there's no temptation to do facebook or whatever while driving. But, hot spots are all over-McDonalds, Starbucks, Panera, Applebees, etc etc. You don't even have to go into a place to use the hot spot, I have been known to check weather.com while sitting in the drive through at McDs waiting for my coke.

#9 ·
I bought a refurbished i touch and I certainly see the appeal of the i phone. But the i touch doesn't have the monthly fee and I can get online whereever there is wifi so I can check my e-mail while I am out and about. Plus it carries all of my schedule and organizing apps and I use it for quick notes, etc. And of course, music, I do carry a cell phone also and when my contract expires I am going to replace it with a prepaid cell because I use it so seldom. I also downloaded an app on the itouch that allows me to text people for free. I don't really use it much because I am not in that generation, but sometimes it is fun.

I know lots of people who would never give up their iphone (often they don't even have a landline), but the itouch is doing pretty well by me and because I can't be checking my e-mail or going on-line every second, I am more productive!

I think I saw in Walmart a prepaid phone that did data, though. I only glimpsed it so i have no idea about the details.

#10 ·
Never got one to begin with, now my roommie has one and i swear its glued to her, why she needs to check her email on her phone while she is sitting at her computer, I DONT GET IT....

I sitll have a virgin mobile, pay as you go, $50 month, talkall you want plan.
Thats all I want, all I need....

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by just_lily View Post
But the smart phones are so tempting. Oh so tempting. But the last thing I need to do is increase monthly expenses by adding a data plan. (snip) But I still want a phone.
Yes, this is me. I thought, ha wow, I'd like an iphone, to be like everyone else. Let me treat myself. But I really don't want increased monthly costs and I'd have to be on 4G to access work stuff. So, eh... I'll stay disconnected now.

#12 ·
We don't have a land line. We're getting rid of our iphones in November when our AT&T contract is up. We're paying $145/mo for both right now (that's not unlimited minutes or texting, but it is unlimited web). I really only use it for calls, texting, email, and facebook. DW only uses it for the map GPS thing and email. We're switching to Metro PCS which is $40/mo ($80 total for us) unlimited talk, text and web and we'll buy the best web-surfing, highest tech phone they have, so while it might not have apps, we can still check email and facebook and do some surfing. I love my iphone but it's just not worth the money anymore.

#13 ·
I'm too old school, gotta keep landline for emergencies. Since I only pay $20 a month for landline, cancelling that and keeping iPhone doesn't bring me ahead financially. I use a phone for talking and minimal texting. I'm a big fan of Dave Ramsey's and he talks about amputating extras. iPhone would DEFINTELY be an extra. I'd keep deactivated iPhone as iPod Touch..

For the PP who said they used their old iPhone as iPod, but didn't add anything to it, because pp didn't think you could. But you CAN! Check out the link to Apple website I gave. It shows how to activate it with iTunes for use as iPod.

I have iPhone with me at work, as I carry it everywhere, but it's turned totally off. If someone called me, it would go to voice mail. Been really productive!

#15 ·
I don't have a personal one . . . but, I just got a blackberry bold through my employer and I see why they are so popular. Yet, my neighbors each (H & W) have the same phone and are desperately trying to stay in their house. I just don't understand why they haven't ditched them.

Maybe I'm just cheap, but I can't justify paying for internet access at home and when I'm on the go.

#16 ·
They do look like lots of fun. I as others have said am old school.

Also, I have been in several social occasions over the last couple of years and seeing these iphone users at social things or just interacting with their DP or kids is terrible. The worst would be at a bar one evening. A group of about 4 twenty something guys were sitting at a bar all in a row. Glad to get together and see each other? No They were all looking at their iphones or texting. HUH?

We have a friend who is always looking at the stupid iphone for whatever. Texting, scores, news or just a "hey wait a second, I can look that up!!!" and does it thing. His wife recently put them in couples therapy.

another time, on a weekend afternoon, dropped both girls off at a bday party and were free for 3 hours. Went for a date lunch. The people at the next booth were doing the same but instead of talking and laughing etc they were both engaged with their iphones and FB. At the table a few away, a family was having a lunch. The dad was skimming emails. I literally almost grabbed all these gadgets and threw them out the window.

One good thing I have seen- a friend took her iphone and put it in a speaker and used pandora. We had music on her patio and she is not one to play with her phone so it wasnt a big issue for her to shelf it.

I have noticed the older generations meaning almost 40 plus, will put the phone in their purse, car, coat pocket and forget about it. Maybe because they already matured their social skills and awareness.

I contribute the iphone to a downfall in society. With that, cancel it and forget about it and pay for your dental which is much more important and your debt too.

#17 ·
Well, I'm gonna do it! Going to go to Walmart to pick out a Tracfone and then do the number transfer thingy online. You have to have the Tracfone phone in hand before doing the number transfer. I just got off the phone with AT&T and it would be $115 for me to cancel now. Not too much more than a month's service

With Tracfone, the number switch can take up to a week. Won't be able to receive calls on iPhone, but WILL be able to call 911. In any case, I still have landline. Will just have to send an email out to the friends that call me the most telling them what's up. :)

#18 ·
Glad I checked this thread. I've been oh-so-tempted by the iPhone. So many of my friends have them. Tho', one friend checks hers ALL THE TIME and it's kind of annoying. I hope I wouldn't be like that...

the Tracphones are CHEAP, wow. I am going to switch from my current plan and awful ancient phone to a Tracphone.

#19 ·
Miss Sonja, glad to help! I love Tracfone. Good call quality. And there is a choice of phones. I got a slider phone at Target (Walmart was out of them) for $29.99 AND it has double minutes for the life of the phone. That means whenever you add minutes, it doubles them. It's cheaper and you get more minutes for your money if you add them online rather than buying the cards at Walmart, Target, etc., although the cards work if you're in a pinch. The phone I got has a camera and can do SMS messaging (texts with pictures). I got a card for a year of service and 400 minutes (card was $125). Easy to do on their website to port current phone number to Tracfone.

#20 ·
I dunno, I'm a 20 something so I guess I'm out of sync with my generation, but I have such a simple cell phone that it doesn't even do text messages. I also have an mp3 player for music and a little dinky notebook laptop that I got for $200. I do have my desktop computer down in the basement still that I go on if I want to play a game or do photo editing or something, but 99% of the time I'm just on this. It goes online wherever there is a hotspot (I can even do mapquest from it if I'm lost somewhere in the city). There's no monthly fee and it has a big enough screen and normal keyboard that I don't have to be annoyed that it's limited. Honestly I've never even seen a smartphone in person so I don't know how big the screen/keyboard are but I imagine they're small because a lot of the time people have typos when they type stuff from it. I've never really been tempted to get a smartphone with a monthly bill or the upfront price. DH wants one though, and since he is looking for a job in the IT field he will probably need one for his work. But that's his business really, I don't think I will ever have one.

#21 ·
Hope you like your Tracfone, Tradd. It's what my DD used before I added her to my plan (which ended up being cheaper b/c the texts through Tracfone were like .33 cents each). Anyhow, we were happy with the service and price - until she discovered texting w/her BFF.

Honestly, as much as I love my iphone, if I could use it as an itouch with constant internet connection, I'd cancel the phone service and go pre-paid. I just don't use near the amout of minutes (even sharing with my DD now). But it's the 3G network that is worth the $ for me for now.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
Hope you like your Tracfone, Tradd. It's what my DD used before I added her to my plan (which ended up being cheaper b/c the texts through Tracfone were like .33 cents each). Anyhow, we were happy with the service and price - until she discovered texting w/her BFF.

Honestly, as much as I love my iphone, if I could use it as an itouch with constant internet connection, I'd cancel the phone service and go pre-paid. I just don't use near the amout of minutes (even sharing with my DD now). But it's the 3G network that is worth the $ for me for now.
I had a Tracfone for three years before I got iPhone last year. Loved it.

Did you hear the announcement today - AT&T is doing away with unlimited data plans as of June 7th for new subscribers. Current subscribers are OK to the end of their contract. They also upped the cancellation fee to something like $300 or more.

I text very minimally. I had the 200 texts for $5 with AT&T on iPhone and barely used 30 a month.

#23 ·
I did read about it - b/c of the link you posted in TAO. So, thanks! B/c I hadn't heard about it until then. I wish they had a data only plan, w/o the $40 min. minutes. That's too bad about the $300 contract-breaking fee. I'm trying to figure out how many gb or mb or what the heck ever
I use to see if I can change to the $15 data. I wonder how much bandwidth MDC takes up.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I did read about it - b/c of the link you posted in TAO. So, thanks! B/c I hadn't heard about it until then. I wish they had a data only plan, w/o the $40 min. minutes. That's too bad about the $300 contract-breaking fee. I'm trying to figure out how many gb or mb or what the heck ever
I use to see if I can change to the $15 data. I wonder how much bandwidth MDC takes up.

Previous bills will give this info.

#25 ·
I had an Omnia through Verizon & about 4 months ago, SO & I switched from the Omnia's to "regular" cell phones, and lost over $80 worth of texting/data plan because those were both required. So we cut our bill way down, & I really don't miss it at all. It was nice having the internet & texting, but I'm happier without them. SO, however, isn't, and he'll be getting a smart phone when we get new phones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.