do you buy furniture at Goodwill etc? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2010, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
are you ever worried about roaches? i was planning to go and get dd a new dresser and some smal end tables and my mother freaked me out telling me that roaches can live in the joints of the furniture and then infest your house.

am i being totally OCD about this? have you ever had this experiance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 08:11 PM

I have never bought furniture from GoodWill, but we do buy from Habitat for Humanity ReStore, and we have never had a cockroach problem other than moving into a home with roaches already present.

http://www.habitat.org/env/restores.aspx

ReStores are incredible, cheap, and there's a ton of options!

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 PM

Bedbugs I think can live in cracks in furniture. I don't think roaches will. Now - doesn't that make you feel better?

Actually, I have bought furinture at Goodwill and thrift stores and I've never had a problem. The only thing that I would not buy would be a mattress.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:25 PM

Ditto.

I love buying interesting second hand pieces and fixing them up.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
Old 06-09-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

good heavens, i would NEVER buy a mattress second hand, and would hesitate with lots of second hand upholsterd furniture, but i always figured that wooden peices were fine. i have bought stuff before and would much rather buy second hand and fix it up. i am amazed at the stuff peope throw away. but i never thought about it till my mom mentioined it.
thanks for your posts.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I buy wooden stuff that can be hosed down in the yard with Pine-Sol. I do this on a warm summer day so the furniture has time to dry before bringing it back into the house. Never had an issue with bugs.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post
Ditto.

I love buying interesting second hand pieces and fixing them up.
I love doing that, too.

I've been buying furniture from thrift stores for years, including couches, and I've never had problems.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

Old 06-10-2010, 01:53 PM

I've only purchased wooden furniture, not upholstered , from Goodwill and have never had a problem with bugs of any sort. I live in an area where palmetto bugs ( a nice name for roaches) do make their way into the house whether you like it or not. They don't last long as the cat catches them rather quickly.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel_eva View Post
are you ever worried about roaches? i was planning to go and get dd a new dresser and some smal end tables and my mother freaked me out telling me that roaches can live in the joints of the furniture and then infest your house.

am i being totally OCD about this? have you ever had this experiance?
We buy furniture all the time from thrift stores and we have never had an experience with either bedbugs or roaches.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 06-10-2010, 02:12 PM

We buy used stuff and all kinds of things from Goodwill. I've never had an issue with bugs except for one time.

We got a record player with a radio and 8 track player built in for $3. Set it on the shelf in the living room and a huge black roach crawled out. The record player had a swift evacuation from our house.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 06-10-2010, 03:10 PM

I love buying some furniture 2nd hand, but won't buy couches or mattresses. Anything with fabric and foam is a no-go for me, because even with a steam cleaner, you can't get foam 100% sanitary. Can't stand the thought of our family putting our faces on someone else's couch, mattress, etc *shudder*

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I have always bought furniture second hand and have never had a problem. I am sitting on my second hand couch with my feet on the second hand ottoman on our second hand rug. Goodness, don't I ever buy anything new?!?

Anyway, no roaches.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 06-10-2010, 06:44 PM

We've been very lucky and gotten tons of things second hand. Never a problem with roaches until we moved to a super humid climate. However, I never find good deals for furniture at thrift shops. Too often it is crappy particle board stuff going for $70+. I must get there after the good stuff gets sold.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't think of any reason roaches would be a probelm in thrift store items, but not in new, warehouse-stored items?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 06-11-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel_eva View Post
good heavens, i would NEVER buy a mattress second hand, and would hesitate with lots of second hand upholsterd furniture, but i always figured that wooden peices were fine. i have bought stuff before and would much rather buy second hand and fix it up. i am amazed at the stuff peope throw away. but i never thought about it till my mom mentioined it.
thanks for your posts.
I will only buy non-upholstered stuff. I am too afraid of bedbugs. I know 2 people who have spent months fighting them and it is miserable.
And I've seen what mattresses that are "cleaned" still have in them. *shudder* Not worth it.

Wood furniture is fine, I think.

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
Old 06-11-2010, 01:13 PM

I love goodwill/yardsale/dumpster finds!! Treasures abound!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
I can't think of any reason roaches would be a probelm in thrift store items, but not in new, warehouse-stored items?
The issue I believe is that if someone had bugs that got into their couch and gave that couch to Goodwill, in theory you buy it and introduce the bugs to your house. In a new warehouse presumably the warehouse doesn't have bugs, furniture is wrapped, less chance of carrying bugs into your house.

I know someone who brought a used couch into her house turned out the thing had bedbugs and she ended up with a real problem that resulted in tossing out everything and eventually moving.

I used to get secondhand furniture like couches, but since bedbugs have made a resurgence (problematic on my area) I no longer will buy such items.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
We got a record player with a radio and 8 track player built in for $3. Set it on the shelf in the living room and a huge black roach crawled out.
Many bugs, but roaches in particular, seem to often be attracted to electronic devices. I'm not sure anyone has a definitive answer why but it's a very commonly reported occurrence.

If roaches were my concern I'd be more circumspect of used electronics than wooden furniture. Although I would certainly inspect the wood furniture for signs of termites, wood beetles, carpenter ants and other nasty wood eating critters that you probably don't want in your house.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" - Dr. Seuss
Old 06-11-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
I used to get secondhand furniture like couches, but since bedbugs have made a resurgence (problematic on my area) I no longer will buy such items.
I agree. We buy second hand couches but we don't have a problem with bed bugs around here. In Montreal, it seems like it was always talked about on the news etc as being a huge problem. My sister has/had bedbugs but they came with the apartment. It doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
Old 06-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I will only buy non-upholstered stuff. I am too afraid of bedbugs. I know 2 people who have spent months fighting them and it is miserable.
It is. Trust me on this one. We didn't know it, but the apartment complex we moved into has bedbugs. We're trying to buy a house, and now we'll have the added expense of all new furniture when we move out, because there's no WAY we're taking any of this stuff with us. I refuse to have bedbugs in my house. Everything we do take with us will be thoroughly inspected and steam-cleaned. Moving is going to be AWFUL, but it'll be worth it to get out of this place. *shudder*

Bedbugs are NOT something you want to deal with.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
It is. Trust me on this one. We didn't know it, but the apartment complex we moved into has bedbugs. We're trying to buy a house, and now we'll have the added expense of all new furniture when we move out, because there's no WAY we're taking any of this stuff with us. I refuse to have bedbugs in my house. Everything we do take with us will be thoroughly inspected and steam-cleaned. Moving is going to be AWFUL, but it'll be worth it to get out of this place. *shudder*

Bedbugs are NOT something you want to deal with.

That's what happened to my buddy, whole building ended up with a bedbug infestation and it sounded horrible. As much as I like 2nd hand shopping and saving money, it seems like its not worth taking a chance with certain items unless you know the person you are geting stuff from.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:44 PM

I never had a problem with any creepy crawlies, and I love thrift/secondhand stuff. Our mattress is secondhand- but from a family friend who used it for about a month before getting a tempurpedic bed- I wouldn't do a mattress from an unknown source, but most other things I would.

In fact, I went to a garage sale today and found a fabulous bentwood rocking chair for a dollar....

I do make sure to thoroughly clean anything I get, but I do the same with new furniture that's been stored in a warehouse with whoknowswhat running around.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm perfectly comfortable buying wooden furniture used (bookshelves, dressers). With a dresser, I would wipe the drawers out before I used them.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 06-18-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confustication View Post
I never had a problem with any creepy crawlies, and I love thrift/secondhand stuff. Our mattress is secondhand- but from a family friend who used it for about a month before getting a tempurpedic bed- I wouldn't do a mattress from an unknown source, but most other things I would.

In fact, I went to a garage sale today and found a fabulous bentwood rocking chair for a dollar....

I do make sure to thoroughly clean anything I get, but I do the same with new furniture that's been stored in a warehouse with whoknowswhat running around.
YOu DO NOT want bedbugs. They can ruin your life, I cannot stress this enough. We had them for 1.5 years, it cost us and our landlord THOUSANDS of dollars. I had to leave town with my girls every time they treated. With the bare minimum of clothes in plastic shopping bags bacause bedbugs love suitcases. We had our entire home heated to 150 degrees twice and finally had to resort to toxic chemicals that my landlord "got from a guy from Yemen." My husband spent 10 minutes every evening "hunting" them out of the bed. Used to steam our exposed brick as a past time while the girls played. ALL our furniture was tossed, cheap new furniture was purchased. We slept on a $400 jennifer convertible horribly spring filled fold out couch for months. Had to put tape on the legs and make sure a blanket never touched the floor. Dh on the floor on a inflatable mattress. Had to lauder EVERY CLOTH ITEM WE OWED and then put in DRYER for an hour. At a laundramat. On 3 occassions. Had dog come to sniff them out, twice. OH YEAH - and the bites - HUGE red nasty welts that itch like a m.f. - sometimes up to 30 or 40 on my body. Luckily my girls hardly got bit. I slept covered head to toe - turtleneck, socks, etc. Waking to find a huge pea sized bug nestled between my breasts. OH YEAH - and the shame. Not being able to tell your friends - because not only can they no longer come over for playdates, but you are afraid they will not invite you over anymore. And the kicker - you can't move for fear you will take just one with you!

I am the thrift store QUEEN. I still buy used items - but in Western MAss where my parents live, an area that has yet to see bedbugs. Check out http://bedbugregistry.com/ and see if they are in your area. You'll notice they are coming out of the major cities, literally leaving on the highway system.

I hope I have scared you. Be very careful. Check very closely for black and brown spots and specks. That is someone's blood that has been digested and pooped out. Don't let it be yours.

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

Old 06-18-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSimplicity View Post
YOu DO NOT want bedbugs. They can ruin your life, I cannot stress this enough. We had them for 1.5 years, it cost us and our landlord THOUSANDS of dollars. I had to leave town with my girls every time they treated. With the bare minimum of clothes in plastic shopping bags bacause bedbugs love suitcases. We had our entire home heated to 150 degrees twice and finally had to resort to toxic chemicals that my landlord "got from a guy from Yemen." My husband spent 10 minutes every evening "hunting" them out of the bed. Used to steam our exposed brick as a past time while the girls played. ALL our furniture was tossed, cheap new furniture was purchased. We slept on a $400 jennifer convertible horribly spring filled fold out couch for months. Had to put tape on the legs and make sure a blanket never touched the floor. Dh on the floor on a inflatable mattress. Had to lauder EVERY CLOTH ITEM WE OWED and then put in DRYER for an hour. At a laundramat. On 3 occassions. Had dog come to sniff them out, twice. OH YEAH - and the bites - HUGE red nasty welts that itch like a m.f. - sometimes up to 30 or 40 on my body. Luckily my girls hardly got bit. I slept covered head to toe - turtleneck, socks, etc. Waking to find a huge pea sized bug nestled between my breasts. OH YEAH - and the shame. Not being able to tell your friends - because not only can they no longer come over for playdates, but you are afraid they will not invite you over anymore. And the kicker - you can't move for fear you will take just one with you!

I am the thrift store QUEEN. I still buy used items - but in Western MAss where my parents live, an area that has yet to see bedbugs. Check out http://bedbugregistry.com/ and see if they are in your area. You'll notice they are coming out of the major cities, literally leaving on the highway system.

I hope I have scared you. Be very careful. Check very closely for black and brown spots and specks. That is someone's blood that has been digested and pooped out. Don't let it be yours.

You have scared me. How did you find out that it was bedbugs?

I'm totally itching right now. Eeeeek!

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSimplicity View Post

What you described is exactly what I have heard from folks who have dealt with bedbugs. I took a trip recently and folks were laughing at me because before I made a hotel reservation, my biggest concern was bedbugs. So I was looking up at reviews, etc. Bedbugs are one of my biggest fears because the idea of dealing with just the financial aspect of getting rid of them makes me ill.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:23 AM

Yup.. bedbugs are a horrible problem right now, but it's geographically isolated, from what i understand. so, judge the thrifting based on where you live.

for us, not a problem.. in fact, i think we own only 2 pieces of furniture that somebody didn't own before us.

to get rid of any roach issues, remove all drawer liners, etc. THAT'S where they live. You can also get roaches by bringing newspapers into your home. Roach eggs are cleverly hidden in papers, bags, etc.

buy some DE that is food grade. Leave your pieces outside & dust em down.
You can wash it off later, with whatever you feel comfortable with-- peppermint casteel soap seems to drive bugs crazy. I know some people use Dawn to wash fleas off pets (and fleas are another reason to give upholstered furniture a few days outside, just to make sure). Bleach water can kill germs, etc. but some people are very against using it...

if you live anywhere near bedbug infestations, though, i wouldn't buy anything unless i could give it some thorough treatment and isolation first. I personally would be tempted to use chemicals and thrift anyway, and wash stuff thoroughly afterward, but we're on a tight budget.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:36 AM

Does anyone know I can find something that tells where (location wise) bed bugs are a problem?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon, RN View Post

You have scared me. How did you find out that it was bedbugs?

I'm totally itching right now. Eeeeek!

They bite in lines. It took months before we saw them. But they are big. like a ladybug but flat - then they bite you and get swollen with your blood.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
Does anyone know I can find something that tells where (location wise) bed bugs are a problem?
bedbugregistry.com like i mentioned above has a map. though it seemed to be slightly malfunctioning in my browser, so use common sense. (it was showing them only on the upper west side of manhattan, until i zoomed out and zoomed back in.) usually it works fine. you can also type in an address.

it is causing HUGE problems in the hotel industry. i wouldn't stay at a hotel in Times Square if you paid me.

User Tag List