Pantry Challenge - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 292 Old 08-21-2010, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in for September! Should we start a new thread?

We don't need to cut the grocery bill, but I'd like to clear a little pantry/freezer space...and I find it fun seeing how low I can get the budget. For us, my exceptions would be milk/eggs and *phenomenal* stocking-up sales. Having gotten past first/earlysecond-tri fatigue, I also want to start putting away some meals, baking, etc. for after the baby comes! (Which requires clearing freezer space but will also help in using up. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 of 292 Old 08-23-2010, 12:24 PM

I made some watermelon popsicles over the weekend that were a big hit. Now to just get through the rest of the watermelon and the zillion cucumbers before they go bad.

Over the weekend, we did get takeout pizza, but I planned out my meals for September using only what we've got so hopefully our grocery bill will be very small next month.

Oh and we're butchering today. I have no idea where I'll put it.
#273 of 292 Old 08-23-2010, 03:22 PM

I need to rejoin this thread! We're TOTALLY out of food money (FS) until our case is done being reviewed. We've also added more dietary restrictions into our home- I recently quit eating wheat because it was giving me terrible stomach aches (no aches for 2 weeks now, yay!) and DH decided he wanted to quit eating soy. So, in an already vegan house- no wheat and soy is even more difficult!

Last night I made a Pecan-Lentil Loaf, with mashed potatoes and gravy on the side.

We have a TON of squash to use.. also we have:
green peppers
tomatoes (LOTS)
cucumber (LOTS)
watermelon
chili peppers
jalepeno peppers
eggplant (not my favorite, I could use it in Baba Ganoush or Baghen Barta- that's the only way I like it)
potatoes
green beans

I also have just about every variety of canned beans and lots of brown rice.

Suggestions? Anyone?

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#274 of 292 Old 08-23-2010, 06:47 PM

LizzyQ - I would do a ratatouille type bake with anything and everything that makes sense - the squash, peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes and green beans. Drizzle with olive oil and s&p, roast at 400F for an hour or until everything is soft. Even add chickpeas for protein (or lentils, but those I'd cook separately). Serve over rice.

Sloppy joe style filling with lentils, peppers...you could serve over mashed or fried potatoes instead of bread, or over rice, again.

The potatoes, green beans and tomatoes are making me think of salad nicoise - use chickpeas (roasted or otherwise) for the fish, but you'd need lettuce if you could get your hands on that.

For squash, I really like Crescent Dragonwagon's way of doing it - sliced in coins, in a skillet, then add chopped tomatoes and dill. Let it cook undisturbed for a while - it becomes delicious and melty. Love dill!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#275 of 292 Old 08-23-2010, 09:11 PM

I really need to join this thread. My upright freezer needs to be defrosted, and my preference would be to eat everything up and go with a new chest freezer. We have owned the upright for nearly 20 years, and it was 2nd hand when we got it, so the energy savings I'm thinking would be great.

Tonight we are having spaghetti with frozen meatballs out of some enormous bag that my Mom bought me from Sam's. I also finished up a dab of frozen broccoli. Tomorrow it is just dh and I for dinner, so I am thinking of finishing some pulled chicken bbq and buns I found in the freezer section of our refrigerator.

My goal for tomorrow is to really dig into the upright and see what I even have in there. I also want to do an inventory of my pantry and clean the shelves. Too ambitious?
#276 of 292 Old 08-24-2010, 12:37 PM

Last night we had leftover spaghetti. Tonight is bruschetta and salads. I've got to get some of this produce out of my fridge so I can fit what needs picked tonight.

I borrowed my mom's food processor over the weekend and shredded zucchini. I have so much zucchini in my freezer right now. MIL went to Costco yesterday and split almost everything with us so I need to figure out what to do with a flat of peaches besides freezing them.
#277 of 292 Old 08-24-2010, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
Last night we had leftover spaghetti. Tonight is bruschetta and salads. I've got to get some of this produce out of my fridge so I can fit what needs picked tonight.

I borrowed my mom's food processor over the weekend and shredded zucchini. I have so much zucchini in my freezer right now. MIL went to Costco yesterday and split almost everything with us so I need to figure out what to do with a flat of peaches besides freezing them.
peach cobbler. mmmmmmmmmm.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#278 of 292 Old 08-24-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
LizzyQ - I would do a ratatouille type bake with anything and everything that makes sense - the squash, peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes and green beans. Drizzle with olive oil and s&p, roast at 400F for an hour or until everything is soft. Even add chickpeas for protein (or lentils, but those I'd cook separately). Serve over rice.

Sloppy joe style filling with lentils, peppers...you could serve over mashed or fried potatoes instead of bread, or over rice, again.

The potatoes, green beans and tomatoes are making me think of salad nicoise - use chickpeas (roasted or otherwise) for the fish, but you'd need lettuce if you could get your hands on that.

For squash, I really like Crescent Dragonwagon's way of doing it - sliced in coins, in a skillet, then add chopped tomatoes and dill. Let it cook undisturbed for a while - it becomes delicious and melty. Love dill!
Thanks for the ideas!! We have some sort of lettuce like leaves growing in our garden, so the nicoise idea could work.. I gotta look that up!

--------------

Last night we made a saute'd veggies, black beans, and peanut sauce over brown rice.

#279 of 292 Old 08-24-2010, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Today I think I'm going to make our crockpot chicken - I'm out of dry onion soup mix though so I'm going to try to wing it with some onion powder since the soup mix tends to be too salty anyways.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#280 of 292 Old 08-24-2010, 04:50 PM

Kay4
Cottage cheese works great in a baked mac and cheese. It also works in boxed mac and cheese, like Kraft, with the powder. cook and drain your noodles, then stir in 1 cup of cottage cheese with the cheese powder. no need for milk or butter. It is very tasty and increases the protein.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#281 of 292 Old 08-24-2010, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
May I join in and play? Pretty please? Even if there's not yet a September thread? My goal is to get through all of the various "exotic" grains sitting in my pantry.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#282 of 292 Old 08-25-2010, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Did a bit of freezer digging tonight.

Found a couple of bagels for breakfast tomorrow with some eggs.

Found a bag of chicken backs for stock and a couple of bags with bits of corn and peas. I'll make it all up into shepard's pie for dinner tomorrow with the last few potatoes.

I need to start working on the quinoa next.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#283 of 292 Old 08-25-2010, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
we've been using up eggbeaters I got for .50 a box for the last few weeks - those, paired with WIC tortillas and shredded WIC cheese makes a nice breakfast burrito and DD loves them. I have a bunch of egg whites ones still to use - I'll crack two eggs into the carton and it's basically the same as full egg beaters.

dinner hasn't been so good - I've been to busy either we grab quick fix items from the freezer {hot dogs, corn dogs, pizza, etc} or we eat out

I need to work on making up a meal plan and putting a note right on my lesson plans {we are hsing} with what needs got out and what we're cooking that night. I've got some new cookbooks from thrifts lately to look for new recipies in too.

I need ideas to use up a bunch of flavored danimo yogurts that I got free a while back before they go bad. I was thinking of using them in some baked good, but I really don't know how to sub them at all.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#284 of 292 Old 08-26-2010, 12:19 AM

Last night we had WIC tacos.. lol. beans, veggies, tortillas from WIC, I made my own salsa with garden tomatoes, peppers, onion, and spent $1.58 on cilantro and tortilla chips.

Tonight I finally got some FS, yay! I bought some gluten free pasta and made roasted garden tomato and herb pasta (my favorite this time of year!).

Tomorrow I am planning on Gazpacho with our gigantic cucumbers, more garden tomatoes and peppers, and onion.. with polenta and beans, and probably another homemade salsa.

#285 of 292 Old 08-26-2010, 11:23 AM

Tonight's dinner is going to cost us about $1.00

We're having hamburgers (from our own meat we raised), on sale buns, with cheese (also on sale), fries (made from potatoes I was given) and corn on the cob (given again).

I love summer time!
#286 of 292 Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 PM

Turns out, we had no hamburger! So we had london broil, corn on the cob and some pasta. Still really cheap though.
#287 of 292 Old 08-28-2010, 01:37 AM

I had planned on making pizzas, but not in the mood.
So I texted DH: Moo or Oink?

So we had grilled pork chops from my freezer, grilled zuccini and a potato that I sliced up. We sliced up the zuc and tato, made a AL foil pocket, filled with olive oil, some herbs etc. Threw on the grill with the chops. Yumm.

DH also sliced up some fresh carrots.

Tonight, using up the last of the blueberries for muffins, after a huge request from DH again after he loved them last week! I also made bannana walnut muffins to use up stuff as well.

Tomorrow, DH will make fresh squeezed OJ. It will go great with the buttermilk pancakes.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#288 of 292 Old 08-28-2010, 04:33 AM

Well, trying to get through the last few days of the month. Breakfast: grits or oatmeal (depends if GF or not--a few of us have celiac); Lunch: fend for yourself or leftovers. Dinner: Sat--pizza (supposed to be Friday, but spend evening in ER w/ DD and her abscessed tooth); Sun--pinto beans and rice and tortillas; Monday--meatloaf or something with the 1.5 lbs of ground beef we have and we have plenty of veggies and stuff for sides; and Tuesday--breakfast for dinner: fried potatoes, cantelope, eggs, and sausage. I get paid Wednesday and we can go grocery shopping then.
#289 of 292 Old 08-28-2010, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
pancakes for breakfast with frozen blueberries.

mac and cheese with frozen peas

homemade peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips.

Almost done cleaning out the freezer and pantry. Will do a big grocery shopping soon and start cooking to refill.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#290 of 292 Old 08-28-2010, 07:05 PM

I have inventoried my freezer and can't believe some of the things in there. Why do I have 2 rabbits (one fresh, one smoked)? Who thought it would be a good idea to buy a rump roast that is no bigger than my fist? I also have 2 giant boxes of Bagel Bits for some reason - those will be shuttled off to my nephews ASAP. I also vow from this point on never to buy frozen foodstuffs that groups do as fundraisers.

I have eaten at home out of the freezer since I posted last. Tonight we are having grilled steaks, and tomorrow chicken and noodles in the crockpot. I am starting to price freezers now, and have $50+ in my change jar as seed money.
#291 of 292 Old 08-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Used up a mess of frozen spinach and kale (I think I had 8 or 9 bags with just a handful in each. Why do I do this?!?). Cooked onions, added all the greens, dumped in the last bits of cottage cheese, ricotta and some various bits of cheese and layered it into a lasagne for dinner tonight. Looks pretty good for being a real mish mash of ends and bits.

Black beans and corn tortillas for lunch. Found a few tomatoes in the garden for some fresh salsa.

Peach smoothies for a snack later.

Tomorrow, I must make quinoa to go with...I don't know....something.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#292 of 292 Old 08-30-2010, 04:27 PM

We had a very busy weekend and weren't home much so I didn't do much cooking.

Tonight we're having leftover london broil, stir fried zucchini and onions and maybe baked fries.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page