Pantry Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 292 Old 07-04-2010, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Another potluck today.

Making cucumber salad with cukes and onions from the garden and potato salad with the potatoes I dug last week. I have some bacon in the freezer for the potatoes and should be able to make it all without buying a thing.

Dh wants chips and beer, so we will need to buy those, but that is the first thing I have bought in a long while.

We had waffles this morning with pantry items and I am soaking another batch of beans for this week's lunches.

Need to start cooking with all the dried peas I have. Pintos, black beans and red lentils are a big hit around here, but poor split peas get ignored.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#62 of 292 Old 07-04-2010, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subbing too (although I'm not sure how this works)...
My pantries and freezers are too full. I have a bad habit of buying more, in bulk, because it is on sale and not using up what I have. Even though everything is fully stocked I stand in the pantry feeling like I have nothing to make. I am not a creative cook.
#63 of 292 Old 07-04-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
Wed we had tofu green curry on rice noodles w fresh cold spring rolls w peanut butter dipping sauce. I still have 1/2 a can of coconut milk left over from this meal in the freezer
This sounds great. Could you provide recipes?
I'm hoping I might have most, if not all, of the ingredients on hand. I know I have three packages of firm tofu, too many cans of coconut milk, rice noodles, peanut butter, etc.
#64 of 292 Old 07-04-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Pasta with Spinach .. we had frozen spinach in the freezer that's been there for ages, plenty of pasta in the pantry, way more garlic than I need, and I added a can of tomatoes and a small amount of frozen peas (to use up the rest of the bag) to the recipe.
Thanks for the link. I'm making this for lunch. I'm going to use a whole wheat rontini instead of shells and throw in baby peas too since I have a partial bag in the freezer. I love finding new recipes and using up food I already have. Did you use seven cloves of garlic as suggested in the recipe? Sounds like a lot of garlic.
#65 of 292 Old 07-05-2010, 07:29 AM

Last night I used up some lettuce that needed eating, some vegan chicken strips, a can of mandarin oranges and a can of water chestnuts to make an Asian chicken salad. I made the dressing from the syrup from the oranges, some soy sauce, sesame oil, hoisin sauce, vinegar, ginger powder, and garlic powder. I also made peanut butter noodles using pb, hoisin sauce, coconut milk, vineger, oil, red pepper flakes.

Although I had to cook the pasta, (we have ac), it quickly cooled down so the whole meal was nice and cool on a hot day and used up stuff I already had.

Miriam
Mom to two daughters born in 1997 and 2000
#66 of 292 Old 07-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Looked through the fridge this morning. Lots of squash to eat up. I think I will grill it all and then add it to salads and rice this week.

Breakfast -- making muffins from the pantry, orange slices
Lunch -- basmati rice and red lentil dal, leftover cucumber salad
Dinner -- rice salad with garden veggies/squash, maybe some grilled chicken from the freezer

#67 of 292 Old 07-05-2010, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Today's plan is:

Breakfast: cereal with milk for everyone but me, I'll have toast.
Lunch: Leftovers - we have to choose from: Mac & Cheese, Mashed potatoes, sausages, and I know there is some other stuff.
Dinner: Chicken breasts with potatoes and carrots {gotta go get the carrots with my WIC}, cake for dessert.

I'm thinking of planting a container garden to help cut produce costs - it's getting so expensive.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#68 of 292 Old 07-05-2010, 03:58 PM

We went out of town over the weekend, but brought most of our food, and only purchased a couple items that we forgot to bring (condiments and taco shells).

Last night we made a pasta with CSA veggies (onion, chard, spinach, garlic, broccoli, peas), tossed with olive oil and lemon juice. It was delish!

Tonight we're planning on black eyed peas with greens (spinach, chard), maybe some homemade cornbread, and peas (fresh from the garden!). It's my baby's first birthday, so I might make a cake too (his party is this weekend).

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#69 of 292 Old 07-05-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post
Thanks for the link. I'm making this for lunch. I'm going to use a whole wheat rontini instead of shells and throw in baby peas too since I have a partial bag in the freezer. I love finding new recipes and using up food I already have. Did you use seven cloves of garlic as suggested in the recipe? Sounds like a lot of garlic.
I did use seven cloves, and would have even used more! I've noticed when they get roasted like that, they aren't as strong. How did you like it?

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#70 of 292 Old 07-05-2010, 04:13 PM

Last night I made homemade vegan sausages. I had everything I needed on hand- kidney beans, vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, olive oil, soy sauce and herbs/spices.

I served them with fries that we already had in teh freezer and a green salad to use up some of the veggies.

I made tonight's dinner at the same time- I put the remaining kidney beans, a can of black beans, the mushrooms that were getting wrinkly, 1/2 a red pepper, 1/2 a yellow one and 1/2 an onion that were all ready cut in the fridge into the crock pot with the half jar of spaghetti sauce- we're having chili. I think I have all the ingredients onhand to make cornbread as well.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#71 of 292 Old 07-05-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I did use seven cloves, and would have even used more! I've noticed when they get roasted like that, they aren't as strong. How did you like it?
I used all seven too and it was fine. (Sometimes fresh garlic triggers my migraines; but I sautéed the garlic for a long time, I think that helps.) I also added a little red onion left over from the day prior's meal. I liked it but the rest of my family did not. I will make smaller batches in the future - just for me!
#72 of 292 Old 07-05-2010, 06:55 PM

This thread is really motivating me to cook. Normally I buy so much food, cannot decide what to make, and end up heating up frozen food or getting carry-out.

Last night we made what my children call a 'Mexican Restaurant' at home. We were able to make the complete dinner w/out picking up extra ingredients. We didn't have chips, so we ate our guacamole and fresh salsa on the meal which was actually healthier. Normally we w/h run out for chips and ended up picking up extra items. I am trying to stop that habit. It was a great night to sit outside eating and drinking margaritas!

We had an early dinner tonight. I purchased too much produce last week and was afraid some of it might not last too long so we ate:

salad with mixed greens, avocado, onion, green peppers, tomatoes, pecans and vinaigrette

fruit - grapes, plums, strawberries, cherries, and cantaloupe

grilled veggie dogs and black bean burgers (Gardenburger; not homemade. )

I am thinking of making a sweet treat for later tonight. I have strawberries, vanilla and strawberry yogurt, and pie crust. If I blend the strawberries and yogurt and chill or freeze would it hold together as a pie? (I know I can serve w/out the crust but I am trying to get rid of the crusts.) Should I add anything else? I have cream cheese.
#73 of 292 Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post
This sounds great. Could you provide recipes?
I'm hoping I might have most, if not all, of the ingredients on hand. I know I have three packages of firm tofu, too many cans of coconut milk, rice noodles, peanut butter, etc.
The green curry I just use a store bought curry paste with coconut milk

The cold spring rolls I buy rice paper wrappers,stuff with a variety of veggies, usually lettuce, lots of cilantro, thai basil, peeled carrot, peppers, cukes ect. The peanut sauce for dipping I mix peanut butter with sesame oil and a touch of coconut milk. Season it with chili flakes, cilantro and lime

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#74 of 292 Old 07-06-2010, 09:46 AM

Te past couple of days didnt go well. But I'm back going. We did do a little shopping on Sunday. Just for fresh stuff mostly and a can of tomatoes..but I think thats it really

TODAY-
Breakfast-Im about to make banana pancakes another frozen banana down

Lunch-Unsure prob egg sandwiches w lettuce, tomato and carrot slices on the side

Dinner-Chichpea curry-I have some chickpeas left over from he patties, and some potatoes that need to be used..and then I'll use the little bit of coconut and tomato paste thats in the freezer

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#75 of 292 Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 AM

We went to two parties, one on the 4th and again on the 5th. Gotta love neighbors who like to party! Between both parties, there must have been close to 15 different "salads" and being I love any type of salad I literally pigged out. It was like Thanksgiving. But now, I might not be able to eat another salad for several days, let alone beer....

I have a relative as well as a close friend who is vegan. I have been trying to put together a great vegan burger so I made up one recipe last night so she would have something on the grill at our party. Its made of black bean, bulgari, tofu and spices. I added mushroom and some toasted almonds. I need to experiment some more, but I wanted to have some vegan patties on hand in the freezer for the vegans in my life who seem to be multiplying LOL.
They are fun to have around because it makes us experiment and cook up interesting fun meals.

We need to use up the rotten bannanas plus the amazing organic blueberries in my fridge. I had 2 requests for muffins, I better get baking.

Tonight, its pork kabobs with rice. I have some fresh mozerella and a tomato so I will slice the cheese and top with tomato or vise versa. Add a bit of olive oil, fresh basil from our garden and a bit of seasalt. Its supposed to be a muggy day so we might have to eat inside for the first time in days.

I saw an interesting sandwich idea yesterday- the Elvis.
2 slices of white bread. Spread peanut butter. Add sliced bannanas and 3 strips of cooked bacon. Make into sandwich and grill it. Anyone ever try?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#76 of 292 Old 07-06-2010, 09:53 AM

oops, forgot to add DH's contribution to both parties. Home made hummis with pita chips. We buy a bag of pitas for about a dollar from the middle eastern store. We had one bag in the fridge and one in the freezer. DH mentioned they were getting "funny". So I suggested baking them for a few minutes to dry out. Presto, pita chips for his hummis. So he made the hummis and chips for the first party, cost about $2 and was already in our pantry. Then did it again the next day. Great appetizer and its home made so very tasty compared to the $3 plus ones at the store.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#77 of 292 Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
I have a relative as well as a close friend who is vegan. I have been trying to put together a great vegan burger so I made up one recipe last night so she would have something on the grill at our party. Its made of black bean, bulgari, tofu and spices. I added mushroom and some toasted almonds. I need to experiment some more, but I wanted to have some vegan patties on hand in the freezer for the vegans in my life who seem to be multiplying LOL.
They are fun to have around because it makes us experiment and cook up interesting fun meals.
Amy, that's great that you're experimenting for your friend! In my experience, the best vegan burgers I have ever made have included a bunch of fresh herbs -for some reason the herbs just make the difference! Cilantro, basil, parsley, oregano...really whatever you have on hand.

I know you said you were having fun experimenting, but here's a recipe I had success with:

Herbburgers!
1.5 C of Cannelini Beans
1/2 C cooked brown rice
3/4-1 C old-fashioned oatmeal
3 cloves garlic
5 green onions, roughly chopped
1 small handful EACH (approximately 1/4 cup) of:
cilantro
italian parsley
And a couple tablespoons worth of fresh dill
Large pinch of salt
Freshly ground pepper

I also added about 1 teaspoon of Bill's Chick'nish seasoning and a large pinch of my tofu scramble spice mix, so just throw in whatever usual seasonings you like - it's an adaptable recipe!

Put EVERYTHING in the food processor, starting out with the smaller amount of oatmeal. Pulse and process until everything is combined. Check out your mixture - does it look too wet to form patties? Add some oatmeal and process some more.

When you are reasonably satisfied with your mixture (taste for seasoning - nothing in there will hurt you!) use WET HANDS to shape it into patties.

Fry up your patties on a pretty hot skillet with some EVOO (I use cast iron). Flip when it gets brown on the bottom, about 3-4 minutes and cook until the other side is browned.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#78 of 292 Old 07-06-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Amy, that's great that you're experimenting for your friend! In my experience, the best vegan burgers I have ever made have included a bunch of fresh herbs -for some reason the herbs just make the difference! Cilantro, basil, parsley, oregano...really whatever you have on hand.

I know you said you were having fun experimenting, but here's a recipe I had success with:

Herbburgers!
1.5 C of Cannelini Beans
1/2 C cooked brown rice
3/4-1 C old-fashioned oatmeal
3 cloves garlic
5 green onions, roughly chopped
1 small handful EACH (approximately 1/4 cup) of:
cilantro
italian parsley
And a couple tablespoons worth of fresh dill
Large pinch of salt
Freshly ground pepper

I also added about 1 teaspoon of Bill's Chick'nish seasoning and a large pinch of my tofu scramble spice mix, so just throw in whatever usual seasonings you like - it's an adaptable recipe!

Put EVERYTHING in the food processor, starting out with the smaller amount of oatmeal. Pulse and process until everything is combined. Check out your mixture - does it look too wet to form patties? Add some oatmeal and process some more.

When you are reasonably satisfied with your mixture (taste for seasoning - nothing in there will hurt you!) use WET HANDS to shape it into patties.

Fry up your patties on a pretty hot skillet with some EVOO (I use cast iron). Flip when it gets brown on the bottom, about 3-4 minutes and cook until the other side is browned.
HMMMMMMMMnnnnn this sounds interesting! I am going to defrost the patties I made and add some of your things since my friend said it could be spicier. Also, the oatmeal will be a way to hold it together since it was a struggle on the grill. Thanks!

#79 of 292 Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 AM

We're in the midst of cleaning out our pantry as we're also trying to scrape together the funds for the MW. DH is the one is generally guilty of going out to eat, every day, for lunch.

I managed $75 for this week's groceries, which I think is fabulous, given that I had been on holiday on the other coast for the last 3 weeks prior. So I had to restock some basics that DH had completely eaten through.

Other than that, the day we flew back, we stopped at CFA for lunch, hadn't eaten since 4AM in CA and it was 4PM in ATL. MIL took us out for DD's bday on Saturday night. We've eaten every meal at home otherwise, so hopefully I can continue the progress through the pantry.

We have insane quantities of beans (black, chickpeas, kidney, pinto and navy) and brown rice to go through. So, those are definitely on my hit list. We shall see, next grocery outing is Wednesday if we need anything, other than bread, eggs, and produce I think we'll be set.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#80 of 292 Old 07-06-2010, 02:09 PM

The left over chili from last night (that was made with left over beans from the night before, LOL) is going on veggie dogs tonight for chili-cheese dogs. MMMM

Anyone have some good potato recipes? I have 20 lb

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#81 of 292 Old 07-06-2010, 03:59 PM

If you like scalloped potatoes...(copied from my blog), or maybe potato soup. Or maybe potato and sausage pie.

Liz

1 - 5 pound bag of organic white potatoes (by the time you fish out all the rotten and icky ones, you'll probably be down to 3.5 - 4 pounds - why the big bags of organic potatoes always have icky ones is beyond me), peeled and thinly sliced

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

3 rounds of freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

2 tablespoons dehydrated onions

3 bay leaves

2 tablespoons butter, cut into 6 pieces

1 cup heavy whipping cream

1 cup chicken broth (Pacific!)

1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (much more flavorful than regular cheddar)

1/2 cup mixed shredded white cheeses (Trader Joe's has a good asiago, parmesan, provolone mix)

400 degree oven. Greased 9 x 13 pan. Throw sliced potatoes in pan, separating them out as you go. Top with spices and onions, then pour cream and broth over top. Dot with butter. Cover tightly with parchment covered with aluminum foil. Bake until your potatoes are cooked through (this might take as long as an hour, probably 40 minutes'ish). When you are satisfied with your potato doneness, fish bay leaves off and top with cheese. Let go uncovered till melted, browned should you so desire. We couldn't wait that long.

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#82 of 292 Old 07-06-2010, 04:44 PM

A little challenge...
Anyone have ideas of how I can use Chia Goodness? I have several bags and no one in my family likes it as hot or cold cereal. On their website they have a pancake recipe but I was thinking I could use it in in something else...muffins, veggie burgers, etc. But I am not creative enough to put it together. (It's raw chia, buckwheat, hulled hemp seeds, and sea salt.)
Thanks
#83 of 292 Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 PM

Tonight I used some of my pantry staples: Asian rice noodles with homemade peanut sauce and a can of chickpeas, and then used up some CSA goodies by adding onion, carrots, broccoli, spinach and cilantro. Good stuff!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#84 of 292 Old 07-06-2010, 10:55 PM

used left over cornbread from last night to make cornbread stuffing, used up frozen corn and carrots for a side dish,served alongside tofurky.

#85 of 292 Old 07-07-2010, 08:36 AM

Eating up leftover today:

oatmeal and watermelon for breakfast

Smorgasmord lunch:

leftover dal on basmati rice, salad with leftover grilled squash, leftover mashed potatoes and chicken, leftover cucumber salad...say it with me now... LEFTOVERS!

Still poking through the last of the CSA veggies. Need to eat these up before we tomorrow's pick-up. I have patty pan squash, a few more cukes and a cantalope for tonight's dessert.

#86 of 292 Old 07-07-2010, 08:39 AM

Wanted to add: this pantry challenge has been wonderful for my wallet!

Not only are we eating up all of our summer produce, I am making a nice dent in my rice and beans and I have $65 left from last week's grocery money! Ka-ching!

#87 of 292 Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 AM

Its that time of year again, where several canned goods and pasta etc are on mega sale in my area. Pulled out the ads today. I am making a "master list" of 3 different stores and what to buy. All are local grocery stores, not the mega chains so they have a better variety of different produce, ethnic style food etc. One place is near DH's new work and he is excited to go with the list.

We will stock up on:
Pasta, olive oil, chick peas, tahini, dried beans and peas, olives, pita breads, frozen veggies, fresh figs (cannot wait to eat these!!!) mangoes, and several other things to stock the pantry after this declutter we seem to be doing.

Of course have to wait until after payday on Friday. DH can hit the store on his way home. Plus whatever produce he finds that ends up on the menu that weekend. Yucca and purple cabbage make great fillers for shrimp tacos.

#88 of 292 Old 07-07-2010, 10:47 AM

We made tinned salmon casserole for dinner last night, using up a lot of our various items in the house. We all ate it, it wasn't horrible, but it is something that I am never making again. Just not so popular. I am contemplating throwing the rest in the trash as even I don't want it again. DH said it was, "Okay."

I am making sausage balls for dinner tonight because I have a ton of sausage from a sale with coupon from forever ago and I need to find uses for sausage, breakfast and sage.

Liz

#89 of 292 Old 07-07-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
Wanted to add: this pantry challenge has been wonderful for my wallet!
Mine too. I only spent $47 at the grocery store last night for all of this week. And I bought NOT ONE taxable item (not sure how it works in the USA, but in Canada, you are not taxed at all on real food, only taxed on junk and processed food)

#90 of 292 Old 07-07-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
We made tinned salmon casserole for dinner last night, using up a lot of our various items in the house. We all ate it, it wasn't horrible, but it is something that I am never making again. Just not so popular. I am contemplating throwing the rest in the trash as even I don't want it again. DH said it was, "Okay."

Liz
When DH says it was "OK" that is code for, ok I am hungry and you made food for me so I will eat it. And yes, then it isnt made again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page