Pantry Challenge - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-21-2010, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Ours meal plans for the rest of the week are as follows. I've got a homeschooling conference on Saturday so making things with that in mind.

Today:
Breakfast: Waffles from the freezer, fresh pineapple got on clearance with WIC, and free after coupon yogurt.
Lunch: Soup & grilled cheese sandwiches
Dinner: Browned stew meat with brown gravy over egg noodles with veggies. I might make stuffing to go with too, and a cheesecake using the ready to eat filling and crust made from break and bake cookies.

Tomorrow:
Breakfast: Milk & Cereal, more pineapple & apple from clearance bin
Lunch: Leftovers from dinner night before
Dinner: Baked fish with mac & cheese, broccoli and cupcakes for dessert.

Friday:
breakfast: Milk & Cereal with fresh fruit
Lunch: Mac & Cheese
Dinner: Poached Chicken with rice, stuffing and veggies. Brownies for dessert

Saturday:
Breakfast: Nutragrain bars for me, Eggs and toast with fresh fruit for everyone else.
Lunch: Soup for everyone else, Still trying to figure out what I'm going to take as there is no microwave and nothing withing walking distance to eat at. I know I'm going to take some of the leftover brownies, but I don't really like cold foods or sandwiches so those are out.
Dinner: Corn dogs, fries and a frozen apple pie.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Two of my favorites are:

You can also make taco filling with lentils, lentil chili, etc. Check out hillbillyhousewife for some examples.
I like the idea of making taco filling with lentils. I have a house of people who adore tortillas with anything.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Old 07-21-2010, 05:53 PM

Would you use tofu past the expiration date?
I'm normally weird about expiration dates and do not like to use food after the date - I realize it doesn't go bad overnight...I'm just odd.

Anyway, I have three containers of Nasoya organic tofu plus and just noticed they expired July 13th. I opened one, there is no smell or dark spots but there is a very slight yellowish color to the tofu and the fluid. I've never used the 'plus' and wasn't sure if it was normally this color.

I’m thinking if I have to ask; I shouldn’t use it and probably won’t eat it. But I’m really trying not to waste food.
Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post
Would you use tofu past the expiration date?
I'm normally weird about expiration dates and do not like to use food after the date - I realize it doesn't go bad overnight...I'm just odd.

Anyway, I have three containers of Nasoya organic tofu plus and just noticed they expired July 13th. I opened one, there is no smell or dark spots but there is a very slight yellowish color to the tofu and the fluid. I've never used the 'plus' and wasn't sure if it was normally this color.

I’m thinking if I have to ask; I shouldn’t use it and probably won’t eat it. But I’m really trying not to waste food.
Thanks.
If there is no off smell about it, I would totally rinse it off and eat it. Freeze whatever you can't use, right in the package - when you defrost it the texture will be awesome, dense and chewy. Squeeze all the water out of it and slice it up - it takes in a LOT more marinade/flavorings this way. Great for grilling.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 07-21-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
If there is no off smell about it, I would totally rinse it off and eat it. Freeze whatever you can't use, right in the package - when you defrost it the texture will be awesome, dense and chewy. Squeeze all the water out of it and slice it up - it takes in a LOT more marinade/flavorings this way. Great for grilling.
Thanks!
I didn't use the package I opened (made curried brown rice with yellow squash from the garden). I'll freeze the two I haven't opened and use or dispose of the one I did.
Thanks again, I don't use tofu often and didn't realize it c/b frozen.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Tonight, I used up the last of some whole wheat spaghetti noodles we had. I combined the already-boiled noodles with seasonings, strips of provolone cheese, & tomato sauce, baked for 5 minutes.

I'm actually excited because DH gets paid Friday, and we don't need much at all!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:02 PM

I know I'm joining in really late but just decided to start doing this last night! I signed a new lease for August 15th and want to get through some of our pantry staples before we move. Plus, the extra money would definitely be nice! I usually spend about $300 in groceries per month (and that is in addition to what we get from our CSA). My goal is only $30 until I move. We have so many dried goods (beans, grains, nuts) and plenty of frozen fruit for smoothies, coconut milk and canned tomatoes. I also have an abundance of pasta and different seaweeds.
Last night I decided to soak some kidney beans and found a recipe in Deborah Madison's "Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone" for a kidney bean salad with fresh herbs and a walnut sauce. I stopped by our CSA today to take advantage of the free U-pick herb garden and threw that together. I also cooked up some millet and plan to dress it with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme. I steamed the fennel I got from the CSA last week as a side dish.
I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's ideas!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:44 PM

For lunch dd and I had sandwiches and ds had grilled cheese. This took care of the rest of the loaf of bread.

Snacks: yogurt, pluot, and pretzels

Dinner: pancakes. choc. chip pancakes for the kids and banana walnut for dh and I. Used up a banana and finished up the package of walnuts

We're almost out of milk, but I'm hoping we'll make it till Friday for that.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 AM

Wednesdays are always a pain for us since DS1 has gymnastics at 5:45 pm. So I made mac and cheese, salad, polenta croutons (using a tube of polenta we've had for years), and roasted chickpeas. Kind of all over the place, but it worked.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:00 AM

Tonight we ended up having spaghetti w/tomato sauce and some leftover frozen meatballs.

I'm trying to spend less than $10 on groceries until the end of month. Used a few WIC checks today, which got me milk, juice and oatmeal.

Tomorrow:
Breakfast--cereal, oj, oatmeal and leftover cake LOL
Lunch--annie's mac and cheese, strawberries (last of those) milk
Dinner--chicken tacos--few chix breasts in crock pot w/taco seasoning.

I have a $6 WIC check left that I need to decide how to spend to get the most out of it. I'm pretty good on veggies (frozen) but may go with bananas, onions (if I'm allowed) and not sure what else...maybe grapes.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

Old 07-22-2010, 08:15 PM

I'm back to this thread...posting forces me to cook rather than eat out...it's really helped. I have a migraine and am tempted to order out.

Instead I'm going to throw together something. I think...
mixed greens with cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, onions, and pecans (all from the garden - except the pecans!)
spinach ravioli tossed in olive oil (from Costco; not from scratch) I might make pestso w/the basil growing on the deck.
blackberries - My children are sick of them but we have so many beautiful berries growing. I s/h froze more.
blueberries

Now...if only thread could motivate me to reduce my UNFI order. I'm submitting the group order tonight and my share is much too high. I don't mind buying it when I don't waste. In the past I justified my waste saying I was donating most of it, the non-perishables, to people who need it. But this time I am only ordering items I know we will use. Some items are non-essential treats but I justify that by saying they are healthier and less expensive than say...going out for ice cream. My children are addicted to the So Delicious coconut milk ice cream sandwiches. I only buy a case when they are on sale.

Last night I opened a can of coconut milk and only used a little in the rice. Usually I put the rest in a container in the fridge intending to use it later but end up throwing it out. But last night, I mixed it with chocolate and froze them into fudge-like bars. The children loved them!!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 PM

Spaghetti with sauce.

Stove caught fire, so things should get interesting from here on out. I have a microwave and a toaster oven so perhaps I can make it work.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
Stove caught fire, so things should get interesting from here on out.
Liz
Wow! That's frightening. Did it damage the kitchen?

Last year our dishwasher caught fire. For me, it's easier to go without a stove than a dishwasher.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Breakfast was whatever everyone wanted from what we have - eggs, bagels, cereal.

The kids ate lunch at a friend's house. I got fast food.

For dinner, we made pancakes (from scratch), scrambled eggs w/ cheese, & fruit salad.

We're camping all weekend, and I'm not sure what we're having yet.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:06 PM

Today's meals

Breakfast-hardboiled eggs & apples
Snack-peanut butter sandwiches
Lunch-Pita Pit-cousin went home todayso wedecided to go out one more timeas a treat
Snack-fruit to go bars ANOTHER round of peanut butter sandwiches <SIGH> the kids love them
Dinner-"taco" leftover soup-canned tomatoes and pasta sauce that needed to be used, leftover beans/corn from last night. Swiss chard frm the garden,1/2 a REALLY old zuke and 1/2 an onion frm. the fridge, and tortilla chips made frm leftover soft tacos frm. last night, baked in the oven. Tons of reg. basil, thai basil, cilantro frm. the garden. Topped with leftover guac frm. last night and chilis frm the garden.

We are REALLY getting low on veggies, how that happened NO idea. But we have 1 apple and 1 head of lettuce and no other produce. Oh boy! We do have tofu, beans, rice and other staples, so a trip to the farmers market tom. should be all the shopping we need to do(HOPEFULLY!!!)

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 07-22-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

We are REALLY getting low on veggies, how that happened NO idea. But we have 1 apple and 1 head of lettuce and no other produce. Oh boy! We do have tofu, beans, rice and other staples, so a trip to the farmers market tom. should be all the shopping we need to do(HOPEFULLY!!!)
Me too! I have a bag of carrots, 1 onion, and 3 heads of romaine lettuce. I do have plenty of frozen though. I have a $6 WIC check to use so I'm thinking of getting onions (if they allow), some grapes and I'm not sure what else.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:59 PM

Today was farmer's market day. I give myself $20/week just for stuff I can grab there. I scored about 5lb of green beans for $8. I cut them all up and we had some tonight with dinner and I'm freezing a bunch. Plus we got a tray of sweet carrots and a tray of zuccini. My total was $10.

Breakfast: toast for me and dd2, dd1 had a bowl of cereal and finished the milk. not sure what ds or dh had this morning

Lunch:quesadilla for ds, bowl of soup for me, dd1 finished the remaining mac 'n cheese, dd2 had a sandwich and finished the ham

Snack: sugar cookies that dd1 brought home from making with a friend yesterday, dragonfruit, choc. covered raisins

Dinner:grilled sesame ginger chicken thighs (used up the last package of thighs), green beans and carrots from farmer's market, and I found a package of stove top stuffing in the back of the cupboard
Dinner:

Old 07-23-2010, 12:37 AM

Breakfast: cereal and soymilk with blueberries

Snack: cottage cheese

Lunch: Fried egg sandwich with a slice of pepperjack cheese (organic! found at the grocery outlet for super cheap), more blueberries

Dinner: lentil soft tacos (the filling was all pantry) with CSA lettuce and chips and guacamole (spent $8 at the mexican grocer for avocados, cilantro and 80! corn tortillas and 5 limes).

Old 07-23-2010, 11:32 AM

Today is farmers market day and it is POURING rain. So bad that our ceiling is leaking! I just see such a great day in my future <sigh> A great start to my bday weekend LOL

Today's meals-not really planned

Breakfast-rest of the grapes, hardboiled eggs(the last of the eggs!) and the kids found the leftover stove popped popcorn from my snack last night LOL

Other then that, NOTHING planned oh man!

Old 07-23-2010, 11:59 AM

We had spinach salads last night. Used up a hunk of blue cheese and made up some bacon to put on it. Yum. The girls had Speggetti w ricotta cheese on top. Still have a bit more, since its a favorite, we can have it again this weekend.

This week, had shrimp tacos. The filling includes purple cabbage which we had received in a produce box.

DD2 is requesting chicken cutlets, so dh will do that up on Sunday. Tonight, going to my parents for pizza. They are leaving on vacation with my brother so we are seeing them tonight.

Bannanas in this nasty hot weather go bad fast, really bad really fast. So I have been taken them and freezing for bread later. Need to focus on the 2 quarts of organic blueberries for a cobbler or something.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 07-23-2010, 05:05 PM

Breakfast--oatmeal for DS, toast and fruit for DD, cereal for DD, eggs for me.
Snack--cereal (dry)
Lunch--Hubby has a family work function, yeah for not having to cook or spend money LOL!
Dinner--We have a few packs of hamburgers in the freezer I may dig out. Salad and potatoes (some form, not sure what I'm making)

Old 07-23-2010, 11:11 PM

Breakfast: finished the leftover pancakes from the other night
Lunch: sandwiches (using up the last of the buns from the night we had burgers)
Snacks: yogurt covered raisins, yogurt, pretzels
Dinner: american goulash (used up the last of tomato soup)

Old 07-24-2010, 12:27 AM

Breakfast: toast w/ peanut butter and jam (me), cereal (DH and DS)

Lunch: "chicken" salad made with soy curls, blueberries, crackers, chips

Dinner: Thai Corn Chowder (really good pantry recipe), big CSA salad with heirloom lettuce, edible flowers, cucumber, tiny baby carrots, snap peas, tomatoes, toasted pecans and homemade balsamic vinaigrette

Old 07-24-2010, 05:54 AM

So far my Sat is:
Breakfast--pancakes and sausage
Lunch--pasta (like mac/cheese)
Dinner--Orange chicken, brown rice, broccoli (frozen)

I think for dinner on Sunday will be Spaghetti alla Carabanara...I don't have quite the right cheese (only parm and an italian blend kind) but otherwise this is good use of my pantry stuff. I have an extra pack of bacon, just need to remind DH not to use it. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html

Still about 5 days until payday and I'm trying to make my pantry items last LOL...we'll see...

Old 07-24-2010, 07:00 PM

Yest Meals-
Breakfast hardboiled eggs
Lunch-snacks at the farmers market
Snack-salad
Dinner-Dh surprised me by taking me out for an early bday dinner. Trying to surprise me he had some of my family meet us to eat. Sadly at a restaurant I hate b/c some family is picky and they never showed errrrr.

Todays meals-
Breakfast-Dc spent the night at inlaws so I could go out w a friend to the movies last night
Snacks-bday party
Lunch-pizza at the bday party
Snacks-fresh fruit from the market
Dinner-Im making chili lime tofu for dh and I using up a lime/tofu in the fridge and lime leaves in the cupboard w arugala and chilis frm. the garden,(plain tofu for the kids) corn frn the market, and salad from our garden and market. Herbs from our garden. Tortilla crisps made from the leftover taco shells for on top of the salad.

Ended up making green beans w tomatoes as well. And since I had the oven for the tortilla crisps, I made sweet potato fries. We got HUGE sweet potatoes frm. the farmers market and I only ended up using half a sweet potato to make a ton of fries.

The kids loved the fries, dh loved the tofu. It got me to eat tofu which Im not a huge fan of LOL

Old 07-25-2010, 09:29 PM

Saturday~
breakfast: french toast (used up cinnamon chip bread)
lunch: subway (used a gift card for most of it)
dinner: steak, corn on the cob (farmer's market), and potatoes

Sunday~
breakfast: scrambled eggs
lunch: junk from movie theater
dinner: grilled homemade pizzas (used up shredded cheese, canned pizza sauce from back of cupboard, sliced turkey, tomatoes from garden, and a package of flat out bread)

Old 07-25-2010, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Sunday:

Breakfast: Cranberry bread {like lemon pound cake with cranberries added}
Lunch: Chicken rice soup
Dinner: Leftovers make your own plates, we've got heat and eat pork roast, beef roast, leftover corndogs, veggies and much more.

Monday:

Breakfast: More cranberry bread {will make a fresh batch tonight}
Lunch: TV dinners as we have lots that need ate
Dinner: Baked chicken with mashed potatoes, chicken gravy, stuffing and veggies.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:53 AM

Sunday-
Breakfast-Pancakes, OJ, Milk
lunch--egg salad sandwiches, pasta salad, carrots
snack--popcorn
dinner--Spaghetti Carabanara, turned out great!!

Monday--

Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 AM

Breakfast: cold cereal
Lunch: leftover goulash or leftover pizza
Dinner: tacos (finished pkg of tortilla shells, 1lb pkg of hamburger, and tomato from garden)
Snacks: nutrigrain bars and yogurt

Old 07-27-2010, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Didn't get a chance to build up the pantry before the budget got REALLY tight, but we've bean exploring every possible way to eat dried beans and lentils. Gallo pinto (rice and beans Nicaraguan style) is healthy and extraordinarily cheap. We're doing lentils over rice (cooked up w/carrots, celery, onion, leeks, some curry powder and veggie stock) this week, and vegetarian chili is a pantry-ingredient staple. I made the mistake of trying to make a vegetarian Cincinatti chili a few weeks ago - bad idea.

Someone mentioned an abundance of canned green beans - we use these to make "Walter Meal." My boyfriend has a friend named Walter who lives on a very old-fashioned farm in NY. They cook on a great wood-fired cookstove, simple food that always seems charming. Walter and Ward (his dad) toss canned beans, canned potatoes, and canned mushrooms into a pot with some browned spicy sausages (home-made venison sausage last time I was there) and let it simmer away. We make it when we need something easy (and high in sodium...) and are feeling nostalgic for that old farmhouse.

User Tag List