Pantry Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 292 Old 06-25-2010, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ahhh, we have a million things breaking right now and have depleted our savings. So, I need to cut the grocery budget big-time for July. Anyone up for a pantry challenge?

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#2 of 292 Old 06-25-2010, 04:32 PM

Do you mean a challenge of making meals out of our already stockpiled pantry, or the building of a great pantry?

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#3 of 292 Old 06-25-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Using what we already have...

We've never been much for stockpiling food & toiletries, but I do have a good bit of stuff just sitting that we haven't used. My pasta seems to grow exponentially.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#4 of 292 Old 06-25-2010, 07:52 PM

Pantry challenges are great. Depending on what you need to do, it works out well. Some people do it because they need to declutter their pantry and use up, eat up etc. Others need to trim some money costs this month so they are going thru the pantry, freezer etc and eating what they have. Whatever the reason, its always a great way to eat what you have on hand.

Some people try to stretch out grocery trips. I have seen others trying to use up beef, pork etc before their annual stock comes in and they need the space.
One person who always joins only buys things like eggs, milk etc and stretches out with what is on hand.

I have a blast seeing what people are making. It ranges from zuccini breads, bannana bread, roast beef, stew, pancakes for dinner you name it.

I even remember a recipe using up saltine crackers. LOL

So get your crock pot, cook books and get started.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#5 of 292 Old 06-25-2010, 07:55 PM

i was wondering if someone could help me by building a great pantry?? any help would be greatly appreciated
#6 of 292 Old 06-25-2010, 08:47 PM

I'm in! I'm trying to whittle down the astronomical amount we pay for groceries. So far my solution has been to send my teenagers with cash and a list. Less impulse buying!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#7 of 292 Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 PM

I am definitely in! Anyone have a use for canned green beans, peas, carrots and candied yams? I went to the local food pantry a few times over the past year and thought I would keep them on hand in case I ever really needed them. I just can't bring myself to use them, even when I am starving...

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#8 of 292 Old 06-25-2010, 10:27 PM

I'm in! We've been building up our pantry, so we have a LOT of dried beans, various kinds of rice, and oatmeal to work with. Also some canned beans, tomato products, canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie mix. Tons of frozen corn and peas. We're vegetarian. We also belong to a CSA that's coming about every other week right now. I'm trying not to shop as much as possible! Trying to rely mostly on our once-a-month Azure Standard order for bulk dry goods, the CSA and the farmer's market and only go to a real grocery store when absolutely necessary.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#9 of 292 Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 PM

Oh and a TON of frozen shredded zucchini from last summer's garden! Really need to get through some of that and make way in the freezer.

#10 of 292 Old 06-25-2010, 10:58 PM

I'm in too. I decided today that I am not buying food in July. Except maybe cherries, they're in season and local. I started out thinking I'd just buy meat, eggs, and milk. But I can do without those. I have enough dried beans and bacon fat to feed an army, as well as rice, tomato sauce, green avocados (they won't last all month, but it should be a few days before they can be used), a little produce, a lb of frozen bacon, canned fruit, tuna, bread making supplies, lots of steel cut oats, peanut butter. And cheese! I forgot about the cheese, I got a good deal at the grocery outlet on organic grassfed cheddar. And my garden is just about to start throwing out zucchini.

So yeah, no need to buy food, I have food! Just need to get creative.

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
#11 of 292 Old 06-25-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Oh and a TON of frozen shredded zucchini from last summer's garden! Really need to get through some of that and make way in the freezer.
we turned all our zuchinni into muffins and put what wasn't eaten the first couple days into the freezer. mmmm.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#12 of 292 Old 06-26-2010, 12:28 PM

OK, I'm joining too. I have $50 to last me 2 more weeks, and a garden that is only giving spinach at the moment, plus a CSA that we get once a week. We have a fully stocked pantry, the only things I really need to buy is coffee creamer and bread (though I could try to make my own).

#13 of 292 Old 06-26-2010, 07:33 PM

I'm in! How do we play? Should I list what I have? I need to do very minimal shopping for the next two weeks (that's when we get food stamps again). We have a decent pantry, but I'm always up for new ideas so we don't get bored and eat the same old, same old.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#14 of 292 Old 06-26-2010, 09:12 PM

We got some broccoli in the CSA today (among other things) and so I am making this Whole-Wheat Spaghetti with Broccoli, Chickpeas, and Garlic. I have the rest of the ingredients in the pantry! (Pasta, garlic, EVOO, red pepper flakes, and chickpeas). I'll probably add in some extra spinach since we have plenty. On the side some bread and a salad.

#15 of 292 Old 06-26-2010, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...rybugs/047.jpg

breakfast for dinner tonight. homemade bread turned into french toast with fresh wild blackberries we picked tonight and butter and syrup and lemonade. Was DELICIOUS! The kids ate about half the blackberries on the way up and down the trail but we did bring home a large bowl full that fed us tonight and will go great in our homemade yogurt tomorrow for breakfast!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#16 of 292 Old 06-27-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...rybugs/047.jpg

breakfast for dinner tonight. homemade bread turned into french toast with fresh wild blackberries we picked tonight and butter and syrup and lemonade. Was DELICIOUS! The kids ate about half the blackberries on the way up and down the trail but we did bring home a large bowl full that fed us tonight and will go great in our homemade yogurt tomorrow for breakfast!
YUM! We have raspberries that are pretty prolific right now - need to make some muffins or pancakes with them!

#17 of 292 Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 PM

Bought the cookbook Ad Hoc at Home. Using my beef short ribs in the freezer to make a beef for strogenoff this week. Great way to use these up.

I also need to make beef stock with the soup bones sitting in the freezer.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#18 of 292 Old 06-27-2010, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm in - July we won't get any food stamps so I'm trying to not spend any out of pocket if we don't have to.

We do get WIC, and I have our farmer's market vouchers from WIC {$10} as well so we have a little there.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#19 of 292 Old 06-27-2010, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I;m in I also need to organize the pantry... starting monday am. thats my project

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#20 of 292 Old 06-27-2010, 09:00 PM

We've been running a pantry challenge for about a month now, thanks to medical bills, so we're getting down there, but we're still in! We're really trying to keep our recipes fresh and different, despite using the same basic ingredients so many times.

Tonight dh had the idea to make sweet potato enchiladas. We used up the last three tortilla wraps in the frig, rice (a pantry staple), sweet potatoes, and some fresh garden peas. For the sauce, he mixed cumin, cinnamon, garlic, sauteed onions, and a handful of slightly-stale chocolate chips. (The grown-ups added some cayenne and smoked chipotle to theirs.) It came out reeeeeeally good.
#21 of 292 Old 06-28-2010, 12:41 AM

Last minute dinner tonight, DH is making tofu stir fry from tofu that was on clearance (a few days from exp), CSA veggies and freezer veggies, with rice.

#22 of 292 Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovermybabies View Post
i was wondering if someone could help me by building a great pantry?? any help would be greatly appreciated
This should be able to be done during a challenge. How much space do you have?

Do you cook from scratch?

Do you bake?

What is your monthly food budget?

What sort of climate do you live in?

This should help set you up.

#23 of 292 Old 06-28-2010, 10:35 AM

Today's plan is:

Milk and cereal for breakfast {WIC} or perhaps the breakfast tacos in the freezer {clearance item}
Lunch is soup made from leftovers for everyone but me, I'll have a TV dinner from the freezer
Dinner is poached chicken breasts with rice, chicken gravy, and veggies. Cheesecake for dessert made from a tub of ready-made cheesecake {clearance a while back and couponed - I have 15 tubs to use up} and sugar cookie crust {free after coupon on clearance}

Tomorrow I'm thinking of making crock pot lasagna - I've not tried it before but I've got everything to make it with.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#24 of 292 Old 06-28-2010, 10:43 AM

I'm in! I need to use what we have on hand so I can get the pantry organized better. Trying to cut costs too so I really want to lower the grocery bill. We should have enough here that I can make all the meals for July from the pantry with maybe a few fresh items to supplement. I'm going to sort through the pantry for an inventory list and work out a menu. I'll be back later.
#25 of 292 Old 06-28-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovermybabies View Post
I'm not a "pro" or anything.. but for my pantry, I usually just buy my staples that I use often in bulk. So for me those are: sugar, canned and dry beans, rice, coffee, flour, canned veggies, peanut butter, oatmeal, pasta, canned tomatoes, and lots of spices. I'm sure I'm missing something, but that is usually what I always try to have lots of on hand, then add whatever veggies I got for a good deal (or from WIC) into dinners.

#26 of 292 Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 AM

Lunch yesterday was gluten-free biscuits (homemade flour mix) with leftover white-beans-turned-into-gravy and braised greens that were on the verge of going bad. Just for clarity, DH is sensitive to wheat, but DS and I are not.

Dinner was leftovers.

Breakfast today was overnight steel cut oats with homemade raspberry coulis (raspberries from our backyard and agave), with almond butter and cinnamon.

Need to make bread today (I do th dough in the bread machine and then bake in the oven).

Dinner tonight will be mexican fiesta - thawed corn tortillas, homemade black beans in the pressure cooker, lettuce, a little bit of shredded cheese, avocado, and sauteed mushrooms and sweet potato.

#27 of 292 Old 06-28-2010, 11:54 PM

I'm in! We really, really need to lower our grocery bill. Our pantry is stocked pretty well -- loads of beans, 20 lbs. of rice, various other staples like oatmeal, barely and quinoa, and lots of baking supplies. We belong to a CSA, so that is really helping round out the meals. Love reading the other responses!
#28 of 292 Old 06-29-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Dinner tonight will be mexican fiesta - thawed corn tortillas, homemade black beans in the pressure cooker, lettuce, a little bit of shredded cheese, avocado, and sauteed mushrooms and sweet potato.
It ended up being black bean-sweet potato nachos, which were really good! I also used some dried sweet red banana peppers in the beans which I forgot we even had. All in all, a tasty meal.

#29 of 292 Old 06-29-2010, 01:36 AM

I'm in. This is my first pantry challenge!

We have lots of good produce too because of a CSA share, this would be so much more difficult in the winter months. I'll use up the last of the oatmeal for tomorrow's breakfast and the last of the white beans for supper, but we'll have about 20 pounds of rye flakes, 20 pounds of lentils and a few pounds of other types of beans and rice (not sure when we'll have the money to make another bulk order so we'll be eating rye and lentils for a long time once the beans & rice run out...).

Things I buy weekly:

1) Water (can't wait till we can get a filter)
2) Flour (I grind it fresh with a friend's mill)
3) Milk
4) Eggs

I think our chickens will be in this week too, so we'll have to pay for those, but otherwise no other purchases in July is the goal. I'm trying to save up for another bulk pantry order and to get a filter and then grain mill, any money left over at the end of the month gets applied to that.
#30 of 292 Old 06-29-2010, 01:56 AM

Tomorrows meals for us are:

Cereal and milk for breakfast
leftovers for lunch
Crock pot lasagna for dinner, with frozen veggies from the freezer and some canned breadsticks I found at .99 Only a while back. We'll finish the rest of the cheesecake from tonight for dessert.

Tomorrow the only thing I have to go buy is a pack of pull-ups for DD for nights only. We are working hard on potty training and she is making progress, but she sleeps so soundly that nothing will wake her at night. I have coupons for them and some register rewards from Walgreens, so I'm going to see if I can get away with only spending a dollar or two as I've only got $4 until Thursday.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page