ideas to earn extra cash from home? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We're trying to get our mortgage paid off asap, and I'd like to make a little extra from home to help with it.

Any ideas for making maybe $200 a month or so?

I can't do plasma, and it needs to be something I can either do from home or with DD in tow. I already do cash4books and get $100 a month doing that, but I'd like to contribute more.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#2 of 28 Old 06-28-2010, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe your local WIC office has a peer counselor position you can do from home? Where I live some of them are in the office and some of them are work from home, maybe worth a call to find out?

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#3 of 28 Old 06-28-2010, 11:08 AM

Part time child care (babysitting) can pay really well if you are in a family friendly area. As long as you just do one family at a time on a non-full time basis you shouldn't need a daycare license.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#4 of 28 Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Maybe your local WIC office has a peer counselor position you can do from home? Where I live some of them are in the office and some of them are work from home, maybe worth a call to find out?
not the op- but could you share more details on this?

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#5 of 28 Old 06-28-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
not the op- but could you share more details on this?
I worked as a peer counselor for about 10 hours a week and made about $250 a month.. I just called around the WIC clinics to see if anyone needed one. Unfortunately in my county you had to work in the clinic, but they told me in other counties they had the PCs work from home. The only requirements were a diploma or GED and breastfeeding experience for 3+ months.

#6 of 28 Old 06-28-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I worked as a peer counselor for about 10 hours a week and made about $250 a month.. I just called around the WIC clinics to see if anyone needed one. Unfortunately in my county you had to work in the clinic, but they told me in other counties they had the PCs work from home. The only requirements were a diploma or GED and breastfeeding experience for 3+ months.
Not to hijack the thread, but this looks very interesting. I might have to check it out. Thanks for posting!

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#7 of 28 Old 06-28-2010, 01:25 PM

Thank You so much for posting this idea! It is awesome!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#8 of 28 Old 06-30-2010, 03:56 PM

I do freelance writing. I started about 3.5 years ago and made about $200/month for a few hours per week. At the time I was writing for sites that gave you revenue shares, paid per page views, or paid a flat fee per article ($15/article was about average). I've expanded now and no longer write for the other sites but they were a great launching point for me.

If you're interested in the sites I got started with please feel free to send me a PM.
#9 of 28 Old 07-01-2010, 09:06 PM

#10 of 28 Old 07-02-2010, 04:47 PM

Focus groups here and there can help boost your budget. They aren't steady but can provide much needed extra cash on occasion.
#11 of 28 Old 07-02-2010, 04:51 PM

I'm also looking for something extra. I have 2 LOs, one who does a lot of therapy which makes it hard to keep kids at the house.
#12 of 28 Old 07-02-2010, 05:32 PM

Sorry that my PM box was full but if you tried to send me a PM it is now cleared out.
#13 of 28 Old 07-02-2010, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I recently started working as a Lionbridge Internet Assessor. (I learned about the job from this thread.) It pays $14.50/hr and you are supposed to work at least 10 and no more than 20 hours per week. You work at home on your computer, any time of the day or night you want, any day you want, and the work is actually kind of fun. You can work for short intervals throughout the day if that's convenient for you - even as few as 5 minutes at a time.
#14 of 28 Old 07-08-2010, 12:15 PM

I work for Lionbridge!

However, today a job as a peer counselor for WIC basically fell into my lap!! I remembered reading about it here, but had no idea they did that locally. Our nutritionist was really hoping that I was interested...so can anyone here tell me more about the position? I know locally the position is work from home, 20 hrs per week and I know the pay.....I'm more interested in how hard the calls are and is it possible to do with a 6 yr old, 3.5 yr old and 1 yr old at home (although most times I could fit around DHs schedule). Also can it be weekend work?
#15 of 28 Old 07-08-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJewels79 View Post

However, today a job as a peer counselor for WIC basically fell into my lap!! I remembered reading about it here, but had no idea they did that locally. Our nutritionist was really hoping that I was interested...so can anyone here tell me more about the position? I know locally the position is work from home, 20 hrs per week and I know the pay.....I'm more interested in how hard the calls are and is it possible to do with a 6 yr old, 3.5 yr old and 1 yr old at home (although most times I could fit around DHs schedule). Also can it be weekend work?
I was a PC for a year and I loved it (though it had it's rough moments of dealing with uneducated crazy women who that BFing was perverted, but that's another thread!). Most of the time you just call and find out if they are BFing or planning to BF, ask if they have any questions or concerns about BFing, let them know about the WIC classes, and solve any issues that they might have (or refer them to a LC if its a big deal).

I'd love to work as a PC again if I could find a WAHM position! As for your kids, maybe have a movie time in another room while you make calls?

#16 of 28 Old 07-08-2010, 05:11 PM

Does it need to be complete silence in the background (I worked for another WAH company before and there could be no background noise.)? In just over a month, I'll only have the two youngest at home during the day and making calls is completely doable with just them. Esp. since they normally do a nap while my oldest is in school. Plus with DHs schedule (he's on a 2/2/3 schedule), I can work some on the days he is off. With my oldest at home right, he is way too wild and hyper to get anything done on the phone! LOL
#17 of 28 Old 07-08-2010, 05:11 PM

Oh and the worst part is probably that I have to go to training an hour away for two weeks....that drive will not be fun, plus I'll have to get childcare for those two weeks...not sure it's possible
#18 of 28 Old 07-08-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Does it need to be complete silence in the background (I worked for another WAH company before and there could be no background noise.)? In just over a month, I'll only have the two youngest at home during the day and making calls is completely doable with just them. Esp. since they normally do a nap while my oldest is in school. Plus with DHs schedule (he's on a 2/2/3 schedule), I can work some on the days he is off. With my oldest at home right, he is way too wild and hyper to get anything done on the phone! LOL
mine was in the clinic, you'd have to as them, but since it's mother to mother, i doubt it's a big deal.

#19 of 28 Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
I recently started working as a Lionbridge Internet Assessor. (I learned about the job from this thread.) It pays $14.50/hr and you are supposed to work at least 10 and no more than 20 hours per week. You work at home on your computer, any time of the day or night you want, any day you want, and the work is actually kind of fun. You can work for short intervals throughout the day if that's convenient for you - even as few as 5 minutes at a time.
Thanks for sharing this! I just applied

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#20 of 28 Old 07-12-2010, 11:29 PM

I've been reading this thread and thought the peer counselor position looked perfect for me so I checked it out (thanks LizzyQ!). The county I am in just finished hiring so they weren't taking apps. (man, am I always a day late and a $ short?!). A neighboring county has not started the program but are hiring in Sept. The director said that she would take my name and that I should call back for more details since she didn't know all the answers to my ?'s but she was thinking that to fit the requirements I would have to be in the program. Does anybody know about this? And, while technically I qualify, we are doing fine financially and I don't feel right taking the benefits so that I can take the job. Anybody with pc experience?

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives."
#21 of 28 Old 07-13-2010, 09:13 AM

I should know by the 23rd if I got the PC job!! It actually sounded much better than I expected Locally, it's up to 20 hrs per week. My kids can be playing/crying/whatever in the background. They actually said it may be better since this will be basically a mother to mother position...for the other person to hear my kids...to know I've gone through the same stuff etc.I have no idea about having to be in the program. Nothing was said to me...of course, I am in the program, that's how I found out about it, our nutritionist asked me to apply at our appointment!
#22 of 28 Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I should know by the 23rd if I got the PC job!! It actually sounded much better than I expected Locally, it's up to 20 hrs per week. My kids can be playing/crying/whatever in the background. They actually said it may be better since this will be basically a mother to mother position...for the other person to hear my kids...to know I've gone through the same stuff etc.I have no idea about having to be in the program. Nothing was said to me...of course, I am in the program, that's how I found out about it, our nutritionist asked me to apply at our appointment!
Yay! Congrats to you!
#23 of 28 Old 07-14-2010, 02:36 PM

2nd the chilcare, but if you don't want something full time, try a gym that has child care. I did this from the time my yougnest was 11 months till she turned 3. They usually have short shifts, you can bring your kids with you and you get a free gym membership!

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#24 of 28 Old 07-14-2010, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by verarae View Post
I've been reading this thread and thought the peer counselor position looked perfect for me so I checked it out (thanks LizzyQ!). The county I am in just finished hiring so they weren't taking apps. (man, am I always a day late and a $ short?!). A neighboring county has not started the program but are hiring in Sept. The director said that she would take my name and that I should call back for more details since she didn't know all the answers to my ?'s but she was thinking that to fit the requirements I would have to be in the program. Does anybody know about this? And, while technically I qualify, we are doing fine financially and I don't feel right taking the benefits so that I can take the job. Anybody with pc experience?
Congrats BJJewels! I actually run the PC program for my local WIC office so feel free to ask any questions, I might be able to help. The PC program recently received a large amount of money to start up programs in clinics that do not already have this program in place, not all are doing it yet, but that is why there are many new programs starting up, hiring. I tell my PCs that the background doesn't have to be silence but try to avoid screaming children in the background because it can be unsettling to a mom who isn't used to child noise, etc... I make all my calls from home with 3 children and so do my PCs, we all work from home. It really isn't that difficult, I do calls in small sections of time, one call while children are coloring then I set them up with another project, make another call. The great thing about the PC program is the work isn't that bad. I try to make most of my regular calls on certain days and then others I don't work that much unless a mom calls me. Every clinic handles it a little differently but my PCs are on call 7 days a week, from 7-10pm, some even take night calls but I leave that up to them. I am on call myself during those hours for my PCs to call me with medical issues. I don't require them to answer every single call but check the cell phone while cooking dinner, later after kids are in bed, etc... so if a mom does call, then she can receive help quickly. If you can swing the 2 week training then in the end, the job will be worth it. The nice thing about WIC is that they often offer more education chances, conferences, etc.. so if you get in the door with them, you have the potential to do more later down the road.

verarae- Some clinics will take PCs that have not been on WIC but for some it is a requirement. My position as the supervisor doesn't have that requirement but all my PCs have to have been on WIC. Most of the PCs in my state have all been WIC moms. I have heard that if a clinic can't find PCs that have been on WIC that they might open it up to non-WIC moms, but in my experience we have not had an issue finding interested people.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#25 of 28 Old 07-14-2010, 03:43 PM

Well I asked at my WIC clinic today and the lady looked at me confused and said "No it's my job I'd the Lactation Helper" yes she said it JUST like that...(English is her second language.) This same lady also said to me, "oh you are on your third bee-bee so you knows more about the breastfeeding that I probably do" then she giggled. JEEZE! I can't stand that office and it's the only one where we live since we're in west Texas.

*ETA
there is a position in my city for the Peer Counselor but it is done IN house ...as in it's full time working at the clinic 40 hours a week...not something I can do just yet...guess I'll wait another year or two when dd is older.

Proud Momma of 2 boys R(6) L(4) & finally a GIRL (5/29/10)
..Fused & Fabulous!
#26 of 28 Old 07-14-2010, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabean View Post
Well I asked at my WIC clinic today and the lady looked at me confused and said "No it's my job I'd the Lactation Helper" yes she said it JUST like that...(English is her second language.) This same lady also said to me, "oh you are on your third bee-bee so you knows more about the breastfeeding that I probably do" then she giggled. JEEZE! I can't stand that office and it's the only one where we live since we're in west Texas.

*ETA
there is a position in my city for the Peer Counselor but it is done IN house ...as in it's full time working at the clinic 40 hours a week...not something I can do just yet...guess I'll wait another year or two when dd is older.
Grrr. I have a low tolerance for stupidity. Who on earth hired her and why would you want to work for them, yk?
#27 of 28 Old 07-14-2010, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabean View Post

*ETA
I got the same response at my clinic in South Texas - from a 20yo GUY! It creeps me out they have males working at the clinic doing counseling, intakes, etc. I'm a fairly modest person, and it's confusing for DD to be told that she has to stand in just panties in front of a guy, when everywhere else that is a no-no.

When I finally got a hold of someone who knew something about the PC program - they only hire bilingual applicants. So I'm out of luck, even with being on WIC since right after I got pg and nursing for 13 months.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#28 of 28 Old 07-14-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Yay!!!

To the mama who wants to be a pc but has to be on wic.. maybe you could get the wic vouchers and just not use them? I don't know if that is honest or not, but at the least you get a feel for what it's like (not fun, lol)

We have a wic appt tomorrow at my new clinic, i'm thinking about asking if they have an opening.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page