Inexpensive, durable school uniforms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-02-2010, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're moving, and this will be my son's first year to wear school uniforms. He's going to 3rd grade, and he is very, very hard on clothes. I'm looking for durable uniforms that are relatively cheap since I anticipate having to replace them pretty often even if they are durable. Any suggestions for stores or online sites, other than Goodwill/thrift stores? He needs polos (navy, white, purple), khaki pants/shorts, & navy pants/shorts. He wears a size 7 or 8.
#2 of 12 Old 07-02-2010, 12:16 PM

We bought our polos at Land's End. They are extremely durable and more importantly, comfortable. Khaki and navy bottoms are (usually) very easy to find on sale or even clearance at places like Kohls, Penneys and K-Mart. My kids hated the texture and feel of the French Toast brand you will find at most discount stores and refused to wear the thankfully limited amount of those I bought. Kohls carries Arrow brand, and they are out NOW. By late August they are usually clearanced. If you get a choice, always go for the interlock rather than the pique for the polos as they are much more comfortable.

Here is my uniform advice from 9 years of parochial elementary school. Join the PTA and make friends with parents who have older children. I was always thrilled to give away the items my kids had outgrown, because really what are you going to do with 7 red, white and blue polo shirts? If your school doesn't have one, you can suggest a uniform exchange. The really nice thing about uniforms is that if you have a washing machine, you need an extremely limited number of items. We squeaked through many a Spring at school with one pair of faded navy bottoms and 2 shirts - and everyone else is in the same boat, so you don't have to worry that your kid looks like a ragamuffin!
#3 of 12 Old 07-02-2010, 01:17 PM

Gymboree has a uniform shop (link to boy's), and they will have a bigger sale before school starts (the back to school sale). They actually hold up well enough that you shouldn't have to replace them, and could pass them on between kids.

I agree about checking to see if your school has a uniform exchange. Most do.

Our school had a loose uniform policy the first year (I'm glad they changed it), and I happened to find something like 15 pairs of khaki and navy shorts and several polos on craigslist for $20. They were in great condition, too. So do check CL as it gets closer to school - people may be trying to get rid of what is outgrown.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 12 Old 07-02-2010, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i was super impressed with GAP. my kids cannot stain or rip their clothes. the prices were reasonable, the clothes were a nice fit and fabric and stylish. For two kids I spent $200 and got a $40 gift card toward a future purchase (double rewards). I still had to buy a few things elsewhere (I think I had $100 order from french toast that included sweaters)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#5 of 12 Old 07-02-2010, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also got 9 white shirts off ebay for like $10!! check ebay.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 12 Old 07-02-2010, 04:10 PM

I don't know any details, really, or if they even have what you need or if they still do this... but doesn't Sears have a kids clothes policy where they will replace an item if your kid wears them out before they outgrow them? Might be worth looking into...

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#7 of 12 Old 07-02-2010, 04:26 PM

Try Children's Place. They always have super great sales. Check out the Land's End stuff but at Sears.In my experience it's always way cheaper than on the website although the website does have a ton of great deals including free shipping.
#8 of 12 Old 07-02-2010, 05:10 PM

My DD is home schooled but I like basic, multi-functional kids clothes. I have bought her some things that are technically "uniform" pieces (jumpers, khakis, sweaters). I have gotten wonderful deals at Burlington Coat Factory and the clothes have held up extremely well. They're popular name brands- Lee, Osh Kosh and others.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#9 of 12 Old 07-02-2010, 09:38 PM

Costco. Yes you pay $50 for the membership, but you can return items (non electronics) at any time for any reason. If the shirt does not last as long as you think that it should, you can return it for a full refund.

The uniform pieces are normally Nautica and cost between $7 and $10 a piece.

+ + =
#10 of 12 Old 07-03-2010, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Gap, Gymboree, Lands End are all Good quality .

Purple...really??

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#11 of 12 Old 07-03-2010, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Yep! haha. School colors are purple & gold. But it's okay, boys wear purple allll the time here -- we're in LSU country
#12 of 12 Old 07-03-2010, 10:51 AM

http://www.frenchtoast.com/

I like this brand No purple but lost of other stuff

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page