How do you afford to buy for baby when you have NO money to spare... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 78 Old 07-18-2010, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm 13 weeks pregnant, single, and I have a 15 year old son. I make too much to be eligable for food stamps, yet pay more than 3/4 my income towards rent. The only assistance I'm on right now is WIC. I can barely pay my bills and some months, like this month, I can't. Next month, I expect, will be even harder (have to pay for sonogram appointment, have to buy my son back-to-school supplies). I need everything for my baby, with the exception of a crib and crib mattress, but I have no extra money to buy anything. People tell me to go on Craig's List or Ebay or Freecycle, but I literally don't have $5 to buy anything, and I have no car, so for the most part Freecycle doesn't work. Does anyone know any other options? I need a carseat, a heavy duty stroller (I walk a mile to the grocery store), crib sheets, blankets, appropriate baby clothes (baby's due in January), infant snowsuit, hat, mittens, booties, etc, high chair, diapers, wipes, breast pump, good bottles and bottle assesories, diapers, spit-up clothes, food proccessor (I'm gonna try to save money making my own baby food), baby carrier... I don't know what else. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I do have people who will be giving me things their babies outgrow, but it's my understanding that it won't be things I'll really need or have room for- a changing table, a baby bath, a play yard. What can I do? I have absolutely no money for any of this... It's overwhelming, I don't know how I can afford any of this and still take care of me and my son's basic needs, much less "extras", like when the holidays come and I can't afford to make Thanksgiving dinner or I can't afford anything for my son for Christmas. What can I do?!

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#2 of 78 Old 07-18-2010, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Given the difference in ages between your son and the new little one, is there a chance a relative/friend might give you a baby shower? If so, make it very clear what you need for the baby. Every shower I've been at (and that's lots), the mamas get practical items like diapers.

Also, if you celebrate Christmas, ask for baby items for Christmas gifts. Or gift cards to places like Target (if there is one near you), where you can shop for the items you need.

As for your 15 yo, check with local charities, his school's office, etc. There are often programs that offer school supplies for children in need.

For the breast pump, check with your WIC office. I've read other mamas here say they got a breast pump (loan of one, maybe? I don't remember) through WIC.

Is there anyone who can LOAN you items such as the high chair, clothes, etc.? Ask your relatives/friends/coworkers if they have a food processor they don't use anymore. I know plenty of people who have such things sitting in their basement, bought, and used little or not at all.

Churches and other local charities often have clothing closets where you can get items FREE. You just have to check to see what's available.

lady.gif
#3 of 78 Old 07-18-2010, 08:39 PM

Contact a crisis pregnancy center, and/or a Catholic Charities in your area and explain your predicament, ask what help they can give you.
#4 of 78 Old 07-18-2010, 08:44 PM

What about the father of your child? Will he be paying child support or contributing to the care of the baby? Consignment stores are great for baby things, you can trade in some of your older son's outgrown clothes and toys and buy things for the new baby.

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

#5 of 78 Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 PM

You can survive without the high chair, at least until June when the baby starts on solids (and technically baby can sit on your lap to eat even then), so you can take your time hunting for that. A food processor is nice for making baby food but not absolutely necessary, plus, again, you wouldn't need it until June, so same thing.

I've heard that sometimes WIC lends out breast pumps-- you can ask anyway.

For the other stuff, have you checked the "free" section of Craigslist? Sometimes that has better options than Freecycle. I realize transportation would still be an issue, but maybe you'll get lucky.

Also I agree with everyone who said ask for baby stuff for Christmas and from crisis pregnancy centers. Here at MDC I guess you could post in the ISO forum? And when it gets closer to December you can apply for the Holiday Helpers.
#6 of 78 Old 07-18-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitter_patter View Post
Consignment stores are great for baby things, you can trade in some of your older son's outgrown clothes and toys and buy things for the new baby.
Oh, good idea.
#7 of 78 Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmum View Post
Contact a crisis pregnancy center, and/or a Catholic Charities in your area and explain your predicament, ask what help they can give you.
I agree. I also would request help from the father. WIC will help you out with the pump, probably. High chair and food processor can wait awhile.

I would also post on craigslist that you are ISO those things as donations and explain why just a little. I always just donate my stuff to Salvation Army unless I know someone who needs them and then I am glad to pass them on to a person instead of an organization. I know I'm not the only one!

For a baby carrier-again, ask around for donations or you can get 5 yards of gauze fabric at walmart for $5 and have a wrap right there. That's what I did with #3 when I had no money to spare.

Is there any way you can take up a part time job on the side until winter-like delivering papers, babysitting, cleaning houses? It sucks, but boy I've been where you are and it's not easy.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#8 of 78 Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitter_patter View Post
What about the father of your child? Will he be paying child support or contributing to the care of the baby? Consignment stores are great for baby things, you can trade in some of your older son's outgrown clothes and toys and buy things for the new baby.
I left the baby's father about a month and a half ago because he was getting verbally, and then physically abusive. He verbally attacked me in the doctor's office last week and I told him what's what, and I haven't heard from him since. I suspect this is not the last I'll hear from him, but I will not be asking anything from him besides child support. He was helping me before, after I dumped him, with groceries and doctor bills, but when I started to "talk back", he basically told me "when me and my son get hungry enough, I'll go back to him", so I'm not gonna count on him for anything, I'm not gonna ask him for anything.

As for my son's baby things, I gave them all to my stepdaughter when she was small, and then, we (me and my then-husband) got rid of all that when we moved last year, so I have nothing left to trade.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#9 of 78 Old 07-18-2010, 09:04 PM

Freecycle, gifts, crisis pregnancy center. Put a note on craigslist for baby clothes with your situation. You'll get some nasty emails, but also some free stuff.
Other thoughts: move somewhere cheaper. Put your 15 year old to work this summer to help with rent, to free up a ittle money for baby. Try temping yourself while you still can. Do phonework from home.
Babies aren't that expensive. But maternity leave is. And kids are. Do you think your situation will improve in 5 years? It might be time to make a plan to change jobs or change states or move in with a relative to save money
Posted via Mobile Device

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#10 of 78 Old 07-18-2010, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can you move? 3/4 of income on rent is a little much.

Do you have insurance or can you get on medicaid? Your sono would be covered then.

Our Health Department has a Healthy Start program that has a carseat class open to everyone regardless of income. Carseats are $20 and boosters are $10 through the class or they can "work" with you if you can't afford it.

With that, they also offer Pack N Plays for those who have no means to get a crib or anything.. check out your local public health departments.

As far as a baby bath, you can use the sink...
A changing table, you can use the floor or bed with a blanket on it.
Babies don't use a comforter their first year anyway so warm clothes is more of the issue.
Breast pump you can hand express or rent one (again, do you have insurance?)
You can use old sheets to make smaller blankets, diapers, breast pads ect...
As far as a high chair, food processor and those "later" things, you don't need that until 6+ months so worry about the immediate needs now and work on the other things as it comes up.
#11 of 78 Old 07-18-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackstone444 View Post
As for my son's baby things, I gave them all to my stepdaughter when she was small, and then, we (me and my then-husband) got rid of all that when we moved last year, so I have nothing left to trade.
The children's consignment store near me also sells women's clothes (for moms, of course). If you have any extra clothes of your own, they might accept them. Or if your son has any old computer games or anything that he is tired of, etc. The consignment stores I'm familiar with sell books, toys and clothes through pre-teen age plus moms' clothes as I said. The one near me also sells books about pregnancy, birth, and parenting if you have any of those on hand.
#12 of 78 Old 07-18-2010, 09:36 PM

Rent out a room to someone?
Or move into a shared house?

I take it you will be working while you babe is young if you are pumping?
Can you mention to a friend or family member about your immediate needs and ask them to hold a baby shower for you.
can a woman host her own baby shower?

Your city most likely has a website with a list of resources to help you out.

There are many things you can do without- a highchair and food processor being one of them. We made it through just fine without.
Here are other things we did/do without- cable, highspeed internet, cell phone, fast food, junk food,air conditioning, high heat in winter, anything that can percieved as an 'extra', this frees up a good chunk of income to go towards other bills and necessities.

My babe lived in sleepers for the first year, haha, they are cute and everyone had some to pass on. I am sure you will be given hundreds of sleepers too

You can ask on freecycle for items to be delivered. There are people out there who do not mind delivering.

There is a church in our city that has a 'Community Closet'. It has to be one of the most popular places for clothes. All of it free. They also have other items, usually baby stuff people donate.
If there is not one in your city, suggest it to a church and volunteer some hours in an effort to get it started.
Ours started off Saterday mornings only. I think it now runs two mornings and one afternoon a week.
BTW- I am not remotely religious, but i whole-heartedly support this program.

Decluttering 500/2010
#13 of 78 Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

BunnySlippers, you have great advice, but I've already thought of most of them.

My son and I share a one bedroom, so renting out a room is not an option and I do have a friend who I "might" be able to share an apartment with in January when our leases run out, however, I will then be 9 months pregnant and she has back problems, so I haven't worked out the legistics of how I'd actually move, if it did turn out.

I don't know about a baby shower- my family lives three hours away and my ex husband inherited all the mutual friends when we separated, and I haven't yet made very many friends.

A highchair may be neccesary if I have someone come into the home to watch the baby when I go back to work, and it would be convenient to have a place to put the baby while I'm cooking- I have a very small kitchen.

As for things I can do without, I already have no cable, don't pay for my own cell phone, don't buy junk food or fast food, and air conditioning and heat is kept at the bare minimum. The only thing I pay for is internet and if I get rid of that, my son will literally have nothing to do for entertainment. (He has Asperger's and Depression and as of yet, he is only comfortable talking to his friends online, and does not have a social life beyond that. I can't take away his internet.

As for sleepers, I have no problem with them- I love them. :-)

I was actually told this morning that one of my local church sometimes has cheap clothes and other items, but I have not had the chance to look into it yet.

#14 of 78 Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM

Is moving to a cheaper apartment an option? Or getting a higher paying job?

I'd still post on Freecycle & see if you can find people in walking distance or people willing to meet you somewhere (like at your work or the grocery store).

Also, curb shop -- take a walk around your neighborhood on trash day & see if they've left out anything you could use. Works especially well if you can find a 'rich' neighborhood to walk around, they seem to throw more good things away.

Do you belong to a church or any community groups? Put the word out and provide a specific list of what you need. Also see if any friends/family would be willing to throw you a small shower -- it could even be a second-hand shower where people can pass on the nice & useful but used items they have...

Save as much money as you can each paycheck -- even if it's only $1-2 a week, maybe by the time baby comes you will have enough to buy a few things on Craigslist or the thrift store.

carseat -- I heard there are programs that will provide free/low-cost car seats
a heavy duty stroller (I walk a mile to the grocery store) -- you could stick with the baby carrier & see if you can get a grocery or luggage cart somewhere cheap
crib sheets, blankets -- consider cosleeping
appropriate baby clothes (baby's due in January), infant snowsuit, hat, mittens, booties, etc. -- often you can find things like this at yard sales for $0.25 -- even if you collected cans off the road to turn in for the change...
high chair -- you could get by without this, baby can sit in your lap or on the floor (we do this even though we have a highchair, in fact the highchair is rarely if ever used for feeding) or get a booster seat, they are much cheaper (I just gave one to someone for free today in fact)
diapers, wipes -- not sure I'm much help there, but will daycare let you use cloth? That will save you over time...
breast pump, good bottles and bottle assesories -- you can hand express or use the manual pump your hospital provides, but that won't be as ideal since I'm assuming you'll be working full-time & need to pump often... see if you can find a new pump that a company is testing out (I had the opportunity to be a tester once)
spit-up clothes -- not sure what that is
food proccessor (I'm gonna try to save money making my own baby food) -- you can just feed baby what you're eating, you don't need to grind it up, we do this with DS
baby carrier -- I made a Moby style wrap for $5 -- http://wearyourbaby.com/Default.aspx?tabid=121 all you need is a long strip of fabric, even a bedsheet would work...

I encourage you to reach out to your community, tell everyone you know that you are in need (I know it's tough to do that sometimes but it makes people feel good if they can help someone so it does benefit everyone!!)

ETA: Post in Finding Your Tribe too, maybe some local MDC mamas can help or point you to community resources.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#15 of 78 Old 07-19-2010, 12:24 AM

Everyone has had great ideas so far. I used just a pack n play or play yard with my DS2 instead of a crib. I noticed that you said you were getting one so that might help. Also I know that our church frequently has a notice of things that are needed for families which can be dropped off there and delivered. Call around and see if churches in your area do that.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#16 of 78 Old 07-19-2010, 03:03 AM

Can you get on Medicaid ASAP? Its much faster for pg ladies and it will pay for EVERYTHING with no copays. They can also help you find other programs.

I would try for food stamps again and truly show how much you are paying for rent. How long has it been since you tried?

Social Services, Churches, food banks/pantries, etc... many have school supply drives and give them out for free. Also they may have access to baby items and diaper banks. Even clothes.

Call anyone and everyone you can think of.

You can also try a battered womans/crisis center shelter for help since you technically are one.

{{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Good luck!!!!

Resistance is futile Matey
#17 of 78 Old 07-19-2010, 08:43 AM

Sounds like you are doing well keeping costs down so you'll probably just have to start making phone calls like crazy and contacting every assistance program, church, etc to see what you can get for free. ALSO, sign up for Holiday Helpers on MDC when Nov rolls around and I bet you will get a LOT of stuff that way. The good thing about having a baby in the dead of winter (I did it in Jan '10!) is benefiting from holiday focused charities.

Also do the yard/garage/stoop sale thing this summer as much as possible.

I'm with those who think a high chair isn't needed -- you would probably do better with a booster seat that locks into a regular chair, or nothing at all. I don't think a crib is necessary, I've never used one: pack n play, or bedsharing, both work great. Do you have anything you can sell? For that matter, do you medically HAVE to have a sonogram? They are so expensive! I have never had an ultrasound (would have had to pay out of pocket in my case, too, and just couldn't do it when it would just have been to find out the gender). If it's not necessary, I'd pocket that cash pronto. And if your doc gives you crap for it tell he/she you'd be happy to have one for free.

Good luck!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#18 of 78 Old 07-19-2010, 10:00 AM

Do you use cloth diapers or disposable?
#19 of 78 Old 07-19-2010, 10:10 AM

Oh yeah there is a group called Miracle Diapers http://www.clothdiaperfoundation.org/ They can provide you a set of free cloth diapers on loan (I think 10-12 diapers or so??) although I think now you do need to pay shipping by the looks of it, but it's only $15 so you could save up to pay for the shipping or ask if they'd waive it...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#20 of 78 Old 07-19-2010, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I need everything for my baby, with the exception of a crib and crib mattress, but I have no extra money to buy anything. People tell me to go on Craig's List or Ebay or Freecycle, but I literally don't have $5 to buy anything, and I have no car, so for the most part Freecycle doesn't work. Does anyone know any other options? I need a carseat, a heavy duty stroller (I walk a mile to the grocery store), crib sheets, blankets, appropriate baby clothes (baby's due in January), infant snowsuit, hat, mittens, booties, etc, high chair, diapers, wipes, breast pump, good bottles and bottle assesories, diapers, spit-up clothes, food proccessor (I'm gonna try to save money making my own baby food), baby carrier... I don't know what else.
Are you saying you already have a crib and mattress? Those are not really necessities, so you could sell them to buy a carseat, which is an absolute must.

You don't need a stroller, a sling or other carrier is all you need. A PP gave a great suggestion for making your own on the cheap.

You won't need crib sheets after you sell the crib. Blankets are easy, you don't really need that many. You can get a few flannel sheets at Goodwill and cut them up to make receiving blankets. Look on MDCs FFS area to see if you can get your hands on a dozen or so pre-fold cloth diapers and a cover or two. That'll keep you set for diapers until PLing. WIC can give you a decent pump. 15 years ago, I got a Medela mini-electric. I've never used bottles, but I imagine if you had at least two, you'd have enough.

As for a food processor...you don't need one at all. I always made my own baby food and all I ever had was a $10 Happy Baby grinder. I never really used it though bc it was easier just to cut small pieces the baby could pick up himself. Basically, if a baby is so young it needs its food pureed, it's probably too young for solids anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
Put your 15 year old to work this summer to help with rent, to free up a ittle money for baby.Posted via Mobile Device
Yikes! How is this his responsibility?! He's still a child himself. Asking a 15yo to keep an eye on the baby for 10 mins while you take a hot pan out of the stove is one thing, asking him to get a job to pay the bills is just plain wrong.

Bring back the old MDC
#21 of 78 Old 07-19-2010, 10:33 AM

I don't think it is. It's part of being in the family, and it's been part of family values for a lot of families for a long time. It's not like she's being mean. They're struggling. If he makes $100 and gives $50 to the family shelter needs, that would help a ton. That's not unheard of money for a teen in the summer.
It doesn't sound like something he's capable of now that she gave more details, tho.
Posted via Mobile Device

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#22 of 78 Old 07-19-2010, 10:41 AM

If it takes three quarters of your income to pay for a one bedroom apartment and you have one child and one on the way, you probably qualify for housing assistance. Have you checked with your local housing authority?
#23 of 78 Old 07-19-2010, 02:22 PM

You need a different living situation. You are paying much too much for your home, and the reality is that it won't get better unless you find a cheaper living arrangement or increase your income.

Another resource that would be a help to you would be your local domestic violence program. Given the creepiness of the man you describe, as well as your financial struggles, I think I would consider relocating to somewhere with a lower COL, as well as out of this person's immediate comfort area.
#24 of 78 Old 07-19-2010, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
Do you use cloth diapers or disposable?
Disposable. I don't have a washing machine, I go to the laundromat, and between time and money, it simply wouldn't be plausable to use cloth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
Are you saying you already have a crib and mattress? Those are not really necessities, so you could sell them to buy a carseat, which is an absolute must.
Someone offered to give me an infant carseat this morning, though I will later need a convertible carseat. (My son was a fast grower- he surpassed the weight limit to an infant bucket seat by the time he was 5 months old, this baby may also.) Sellint the crib and mattress would be counterproductive. I sleep on a twin mattress on a frame, and I plan on sidecarring the crib, to cosleep. I'd love to cosleep in the same bed, but we simply wouldn't fit. I'm uncomfortable as it is, by myself on the twin mattress.

Quote:
You don't need a stroller, a sling or other carrier is all you need. A PP gave a great suggestion for making your own on the cheap.
I need a heavy duty stroller because the Stop & Shop and Target are both over a mile away and I can't physically carry a baby and groceries back. I have no transportation and nobody who can give me a ride on a regular basis. I was in a similar transportation situation when I my son was a baby, and what I used to do was, put him in the stroller to get to the store, and on the way back, put him in the baby carrier and put the groceries in the stroller. I'm hoping to work out a similar technique with this baby.

Quote:
Yikes! How is this his responsibility?! He's still a child himself. Asking a 15yo to keep an eye on the baby for 10 mins while you take a hot pan out of the stove is one thing, asking him to get a job to pay the bills is just plain wrong.
I thought the same thing. My son has Asperger's and can barely concentrate enough to pass in school as it is, without me adding another responsibility on him, but even if he was your average teenager, I honestly don't think I could ask him to get a job to support the family. He's already got anger issues towards his Dad for leaving and "letting us have no money for food" and is in therapy, and I've already, out of neccesity, had to borrow (with no known way of paying back) half his birthday money, so I don't feel that I can ask him to squeeze any more. He's barely 15- I'M supposed to be the parent, the provider, not him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisCat View Post
If it takes three quarters of your income to pay for a one bedroom apartment and you have one child and one on the way, you probably qualify for housing assistance. Have you checked with your local housing authority?
Yup. Section 8 is on a freeze, which is unfortunate because I live in a big apartment building, one of only two that accepts Section 8 in my town. When they open up the waiting list again, you can bet I'll be the first one down there, but once you're on the waiting list, the wait period in this area is currently 3 years. I'm currently calling in favors and looking for loopholes in that department. Anyone on here prays, please pray that somehow, I get on Section 8. I did the math- instead of $300 a month for food and bills and everything else, if I get on Section 8, I'll have almost $800 a month for food and bills and everything else. (Yes, I live in a very high expense area. Everything within 30-40 miles each way is the same.)

#25 of 78 Old 07-19-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I needed to very strongly agree with this.

If food stamps wouldn't accept you, even with the pregnancy, there are many food pantries and food banks that do once a month to once a week boxes of food. Some of them don't even require having your income information.

I also wanted to point out that we don't know what part of NY this mother is living in. This could very well be the cheapest rent she can find. My rent is actually a little more than 3/4 of my income and it is absolute rock bottom. Single moms have to do what they have to do to get by.

It sounds like you are doing a great job keeping costs down. Accept as many hand-me-downs as you possibly can. Luckily, while babies are nursing they don't cost a lot.
#26 of 78 Old 07-19-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Yup. Section 8 is on a freeze, which is unfortunate because I live in a big apartment building, one of only two that accepts Section 8 in my town. When they open up the waiting list again, you can bet I'll be the first one down there, but once you're on the waiting list, the wait period in this area is currently 3 years. I'm currently calling in favors and looking for loopholes in that department. Anyone on here prays, please pray that somehow, I get on Section 8. I did the math- instead of $300 a month for food and bills and everything else, if I get on Section 8, I'll have almost $800 a month for food and bills and everything else. (Yes, I live in a very high expense area. Everything within 30-40 miles each way is the same.)
That's terrible. I had no idea things were that bad in some areas. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
#27 of 78 Old 07-19-2010, 06:38 PM

Is there La Leche League near you? In our group, moms are constantly donating baby items they don't need anymore and we offer it to others who can use them. If you call a local Leader and this is the case in your area, maybe she would be willing to drive things to you. If it were me, I would

Miriam
Mom to two daughters born in 1997 and 2000
#28 of 78 Old 07-19-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'M View Post
Is there La Leche League near you? In our group, moms are constantly donating baby items they don't need anymore and we offer it to others who can use them. If you call a local Leader and this is the case in your area, maybe she would be willing to drive things to you. If it were me, I would
Honestly, as a LLL leader, that would be completely outside what a League leader would even be allowed to do. She could do it on her own, of course, but I personally would feel really uncomfortable if someone I didn't know contacted me in my capacity of a LLL leader asking for baby stuff.

OP, have you contact local crisis pregnancy centers? Do you need help finding ones in your area?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#29 of 78 Old 07-19-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Honestly, as a LLL leader, that would be completely outside what a League leader would even be allowed to do. She could do it on her own, of course, but I personally would feel really uncomfortable if someone I didn't know contacted me in my capacity of a LLL leader asking for baby stuff.

OP, have you contact local crisis pregnancy centers? Do you need help finding ones in your area?
I guess its different for our group. We've stored tons of valuable baby items that are donated by our members and are always thrilled to find someone who can use them. I'm not talking about asking a Leader to get members to donate, rather just finding out from a Leader if items have already been donated with this sort of thing in mind. I don't know of any policy that would forbid it. Please PM me if you can point me to that info.

Miriam
Mom to two daughters born in 1997 and 2000
#30 of 78 Old 07-19-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'M View Post
I guess its different for our group. We've stored tons of valuable baby items that are donated by our members and are always thrilled to find someone who can use them.
As members or is your leader doing it while acting as a leader? Because if, heaven forbid, someone got sue happy, LLL liability insurance wouldn't cover the leader. I know it sounds silly, but leaders have very specific things they can do as leaders. For example, I often have a few ring slings around that I give to people. But I make it very clear it's not in my capacity as a leader, but as a friend.

ETA: I just saw your ETA, LOL! I don't have my leader handbook around, but like I said, leaders have very specific duties and are covered by liability insurance only under certain circumstances. Maybe I am overly suspicious, but I can imagine a circumstance where recalled baby gear was given out, a baby got hurt, and the group got sued. I personally wouldn't risk it, as it's outside the purpose of LLL. It's a breastfeeding advocacy group, not a baby supply depot. But more power to your group for being less worried about this stuff than me.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page