"Pillow Pets" versus "My Pillow Pets" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 11 Old 07-20-2010, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
 
CathMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I debated whether to put this question in Ages and Stages but this is essentially a Consumer Protection question.

Long story short, does anyone know which is the authentic site?

They are virtually identical but the first one seems to include a clip of the TV commercial. The second site is so similar it almost seems like they are affiliated. In fact the "Pillow Pets" site notes that the tag should say "My Pillow Pets".

DD1 really wants one for her B-Day and I'm tempted to pony up the $35.00 at the local mall kiosk but the googling I did suggests that mall kiosks likely have counterfeits.

I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure this out. Help!!

~Cath
CathMac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 11 Old 07-20-2010, 03:24 AM
 
neetling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: safe in God's arms
Posts: 3,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we bought our DD one from the site with the video link. It seemed a little underdeveloped, but it was the one advertised on the commercial. She used her bday money for it and it came fine. It's in nice condition and she loves it. I had no problems with shipping or other errors.

They did try and upsell a ton though. I think you could order another one for less $. Add matching blankets etc. I thought that was annoying.
neetling is offline  
#3 of 11 Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
 
CathMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetling View Post
I think we bought our DD one from the site with the video link. It seemed a little underdeveloped, but it was the one advertised on the commercial. ...
Do you mean the toy was underdeveloped, or the website?

~Cath
CathMac is offline  
#4 of 11 Old 07-20-2010, 10:11 AM
 
mommy2chloerae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.toysrus.com/search/index....S/2254197&sr=1

They don't offer a big variety, but Toys r Us has some. If one of them is the one she wanted you could try there.

Teacher Mama to (8/03) (6/06) and (9/10)
mommy2chloerae is offline  
#5 of 11 Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM
 
Emmeline II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathMac View Post
I debated whether to put this question in Ages and Stages but this is essentially a Consumer Protection question.

Long story short, does anyone know which is the authentic site?

They are virtually identical but the first one seems to include a clip of the TV commercial. The second site is so similar it almost seems like they are affiliated. In fact the "Pillow Pets" site notes that the tag should say "My Pillow Pets".

DD1 really wants one for her B-Day and I'm tempted to pony up the $35.00 at the local mall kiosk but the googling I did suggests that mall kiosks likely have counterfeits.

I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure this out. Help!!

~Cath
It's $19.95 +sh on the website http://www.pillowpetsontv.com/Defaul...=google&bhcp=1

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Emmeline II is offline  
#6 of 11 Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
 
CathMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
This does seem to be a legit site, but having done some more research it looks like they have some customer service issues.

I might try picking them up on Ebay from a reliable seller.

~Cath
CathMac is offline  
#7 of 11 Old 07-20-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
 
CathMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2chloerae View Post
http://www.toysrus.com/search/index....S/2254197&sr=1

They don't offer a big variety, but Toys r Us has some. If one of them is the one she wanted you could try there.
Great idea. Unfortunately the one I need is out of stock.

~Cath
CathMac is offline  
#8 of 11 Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
 
CathMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For anyone else reading this, I'm pretty convinced that the sites "Pillow Pets" and "My Pillow Pets" are related and there seem to be other related pages floating around out there.

"My Pillow Pets" has other items besides the large pillows but the pillows seem more expensive. But I do notice that you have the option of donating half the proceeds to a particular charity. Or just donating $1.00 to that same charity.

If I'm right, they certainly don't make it easy to distinguish their sites from some of the imitators.

~Cath
CathMac is offline  
#9 of 11 Old 07-20-2010, 01:59 PM
 
neetling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: safe in God's arms
Posts: 3,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathMac View Post
Do you mean the toy was underdeveloped, or the website?

~Cath
The website.
neetling is offline  
#10 of 11 Old 07-20-2010, 05:33 PM
 
surrogate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
they are on amazon! They had most of them.

Single mom to 2 boys
surrogate is offline  
#11 of 11 Old 07-20-2010, 10:22 PM
 
jeteaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Out there
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just ordered 2 pillow pets from amazon. Many are sold out, but if you can settle for one of the less popular pets, then they have good deals, and some free shipping.
jeteaa is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off