Moving - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really want to be in a different part of the country from where we are. DH & I feel that the "right" spot for us is in the Research Triangle area of NC. It's been our preferred location for a few years, but the idea of moving has been put on the back burner for various reasons. I'd like to take a serious look at moving.

Here's what we have to consider. I'm curious to hear from others who've made a big move (with kids - we moved several times before kids) and others who see anything I'm leaving out.

1. DH's job - He makes significantly more than I do, so he will have to get a job. He's a systems architect, and we've found a number of listings. Health insurance is a must, though, so that's something that could slow down the process.

2. Schools - We homeschool right now, though our intention isn't to do so forever - probably through elementary school. I still have to look at NC's regulations. Our current state is pretty lax - just have to write a letter to the school board. I don't care whether the kids go to public or private schools. My ideal would be a school for gifted children, which we will assume at this point, we will be able to get into. Other than that, I'm not sure how to check out schools before we go, though the schools there have a reputation for being top-notch.

3. Expenses - I'd like to have some budget for hiring someone to help us pack, but we intend to use a self-service moving van. That's what we've always done, so I don't see any sense in paying for full service. So, what would you pay someone who was only helping load/unload the truck - maybe 4 hours tops. I'd like to hire 2 people at each end of the move, so 16 hours total. What else for moving expenses - utility turn-on costs, a budget for takeout during the moving process, new car/license registrations.

4. Our Current House - Oy vey. This one is killer. DH feels strongly that we should keep our house. I do, too, but we need to figure out how to make that work. We didn't buy the house with a down payment. (Yeah, stupid, but lesson learned...)

We don't have 20% equity built up in it. We have about 8%, so we cannot refinance until we pay down the mortgage some. I don't know that we could rent the house out for enough to cover the mortgage/insurance/taxes, but I think we could come pretty close. DH has some opposition to this plan (not sure what) and wants to pay down the mortgage to re-fi before we move. What would you do?

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 04:07 AM

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp NC is an orange state if you can deal with that.

Resistance is futile Matey
Old 07-28-2010, 04:10 AM

To me the house is the big issue and not having a job already lined up. If you guys really want to be in a different area then why do you want to keep your current house so much?

Do you have savings to move because most jobs are not offering relo (or not much of it if you get lucky).

Resistance is futile Matey
Old 07-28-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp NC is an orange state if you can deal with that.
I think it would be do-able for us. We're fairly structured anyway, and I'm not worried about standardized testing, even if I think they're pointless.

Quote:
To me the house is the big issue and not having a job already lined up. If you guys really want to be in a different area then why do you want to keep your current house so much?
It would be possible to keep the house, even if it's empty, though that's not my first choice. At the very least, I would want someone to check on it periodically since we have heavy rains & floods here on what seems like a fairly consistent basis.

Clearly we wouldn't move without DH having a job. I cannot support us without major sacrifices, and he carries our benefits.

Our ultimate goal is to own a good bit of real estate, so we generally believe in "buy, don't sell." Even with hiring a firm to handle renters, we would make money after a re-fi. My dad is preparing to deed land to us, and DH wants to consider using that property to pay down/off our mortgage. I'm not sure if I want to go that route, but it's something we're considering. I *think* we could get a better rate on an equity loan on that property, but we'd have to play with the numbers. It's also possible we'll move to where the land is, but it's not our first choice location.

Quote:
Do you have savings to move because most jobs are not offering relo (or not much of it if you get lucky).
Yeah, #3 is the point where we're trying to determine exactly how much we'll need. Relocation for what DH does is a 50/50 shot. Most places that offer it seem to offer around $1,500, but signing bonuses are fairly common. I work for myself, so relocation expenses are a moot point for me.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Old 07-28-2010, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have been really happy renting out our house in WA through a property manager. Extra money every month after we pay the mortgage and other costs of ownership, and we know that the lawn is mowed and the plumbing continues to function.

I think you should have a two-pronged approach here - interviewing property managers to find one you'd like to work with, and your DH looking for a good job with benefits in the Triangle. When he gets the job offer, you want to be ready to put your place on the rental market that very day!

The details - like how much the moving guys will cost - are probably much less important that having a new job to go to and doing everything you can to make sure that a renter is coming in behind you ASAP.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:14 PM

We just moved out of the Triangle after 5 years of living there as a family while DH pursued his Phd. It is a great area. The HSing laws aren't the best, but look worse than they are. Most of the actual law requires you keep things on site (at your home) but those records are very, very rarely checked unless something unusual arises. So testing, etc looks worse on paper than in reality. I'm in PA right now and would love to have NC laws in comparison!

The area is pretty affordable. Great weather. Jobs aren't as plentiful these days but that's true in so many places. We would have loved to stay in the area, and DH did get one job offer there; however, it involved too much travel and so we are now back in PA. I'm missing NC though

We had a paid corporate move from NC to PA. We got 3 quotes and the prices varied *widely* so I recommend getting estimates from more than one place. We ended up using Allied and had a good experience overall. We paid 5500 for them to pack and move us (well, DH's company did) and then we tipped on top of that out of our own pocket. They actually reimbursed us another 250 as our total weight came out less than estimated, which was really nice. So really it was more like 5250. I did some packing but they did most of it.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:08 AM

Dump the house and consider your loss "stupid tax"? DR is always saying that long distance land lording is a nightmare. Seems like it would just be an anchor around you. Could you get enough from rent, with a property mgr taking care of it, to cover expenses and generate a bit of profit that you could use to pay it down? Why is selling not an option?

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif

User Tag List