How to go to the gym for less - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a membership to our local gym $9/mth, problem is they have no child care and I can not get there with out it. The other gym that does hav eit is $45/mth not including the childcare costs. I have thought about having friends watch DS but he doesn't want me to leave. My Chiropracter is at the expensive gym and DS always tries to sneaks into the childcare room which is funny b/c he doesn't know them. DS has only been with me, DH, my mom, mil and a friend. Any suggestions?
#2 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 08:21 PM

Do you have any friends who go to the cheap gym who might be willing to trade childcare? You watch her kid for an hour while she exercises, and then trade? That way if he gets upset you're right there.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#3 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

unfortunately no
#4 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 09:56 PM

Have you checked to see if your health insurance will give you a discount? We get $20 off per month if we go to the gym 12 times/month through our insurance.
#5 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 10:51 PM

I've gotten into the habit of getting up before everyone else (usually around 5:30-5;45) and heading to the gym before DH leaves for work in the morning. It's tough to drag myself out of bed, but there's something incredibly satisfying about getting it done first thing. Maybe try that; or go in the evenings if your partner can stay with DS then?
#6 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 PM

I used to go to the cheap gym (without childcare) in the evening when my DH was home.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#7 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Our local YMCA is constantly looking for experienced moms to work in the daycare room. The pay is lousy, but membership is free and childcare is also free. Might be worth looking around for a place that would swap work for a membership?

Or I used to teach loads of aerobics and always got my memberships for free. I would teach while my children stayed the childwatch area. Not bad -- free childcare while earning some cash.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#8 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 02:26 AM

Our YMCA also gives reductions/scholarships to low income families, and you can work to make yoiur rate even lower. So if you happen to have 5-10 hours per month you could volunteer/work in the YMCA, you could get a very reduced cost membership, and if you are a full member, childcare is free while you workout.
*whistle* i have been known to take the kids to the daycare, and go down to the locker room and read for a bit, then take a leisurely, kid-free shower. oh ya.

CPST
#9 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
*whistle* i have been known to take the kids to the daycare, and go down to the locker room and read for a bit, then take a leisurely, kid-free shower. oh ya.
Um, isn't that the point of gym daycare?
There were days when it was the only possible way for me to get a shower. And if I had to get dressed (like, gasp, make up and hair done dressed) the gym was the only way it was happening.

$9 a month is a super price but kinda wasteful if you can't use it.

$45 a month isn't bad (at least for around here) - how much is it in addition to use the daycare? I know my gym is $2 an hour. Even with the membership fee, no way would I have come out ahead paying for a private sitter.

The other option, depending on your child's temperment, is to work out at the gym on the weekends (I'm thinking do your weight routine then) and do cardio outside with a stroller or an exercise video during naps on weekdays.
#10 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 PM

Quit the gym and walk up and down your stairs (if you have them) for 30 minutes a day? I lost 20 lbs in a couple of months doing that. Really good exercise.

Other than that, I have to agree. If gyms around here were $45, that would be awesome. We are looking at at least $80 without pool memberships... And my kids won't stay in the daycare, so I can't use it at all.
#11 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I don't know if you have an LA Fitness near you, but, we just joined ours for a price not much more ($10.00) than I was paying for myself alone at a Bally's. And for an additional $10/mo there is child care. It's a Saturday event for our family (and I go alone during the week). And our 16 mos old attacks the door to the Kids Club as though he is going to meet his long lost friends. This he did the second and third times we went. . . this Saturday will be number 4.

Alternatively, if you really want the expensive gym, have you tried negotiating the price? We are getting 2 for 1 in the Kids Club - maybe they give it to everyone, who knows. It may be worth asking though if you can have it for less . . . or for free!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#12 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for such great advice everyone. I emailed the gym askign if I could work in the childcare dept in exchange for a reduced/free membership. I haven't heard back yet but I am crossing my fingers. In the meantime I guess I will hit the stairs!!
#13 of 16 Old 08-11-2010, 10:41 AM

Besides family I would opt to just buy some stuff for home.$9 is great.Our local Y charged $65 a month,but I could no longer afford that.
#14 of 16 Old 08-11-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04 View Post
Besides family I would opt to just buy some stuff for home.$9 is great.Our local Y charged $65 a month,but I could no longer afford that.
Yes the $9 is a great deal but I can not get there due to child care. I have had my membership since December and used it 3 times since . I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can work in the childcare center at the other gym so I can get a free membership and bring ds with me
#15 of 16 Old 08-11-2010, 11:42 AM

i just joined a gold's gym for $40 a month and got my childcare for free. i went in told him i can only afford 30-40 a month it needs to include childcare, classes, ect. and he "worked it out" for me. everyone else pays $3 a visit per kid! i got it for free and all of the workers resent it i think lol they look at me and hand me the free pass like why is she so special. haha w/e i get 1 hour to MYSELF any day i please! it is soo worth it to me even though i now have $0 spending money a month.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#16 of 16 Old 08-11-2010, 11:51 AM

Are you partnered?
I restrict my gym attendance to times when my partner is home because it's too expensive to use the gym with the childcare ($65 per month PLUS another $50 for child care).

4 kids under 10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page