Pregnant and no maternity coverage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-19-2010, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any ideas about what to do? Just found out I was pg, called my health insurance to "just check to see" what would happen if I was pregnant. There is a 12 mo. waiting period! WTF!? My husband and son (2.5 yo) are on a different plan, but it is crazy expensive, like $600, to put us all on it. I don't know what to do. Part of my brain is saying we can't go through with this. I think we make too much money to qualify for any state run health care. The other option that goes through my mind is to get a divorce and them maybe my son and I would qualify (I work 20 hr/wk - just reduced hours so I can stay home more with my son). Help!
#2 of 13 Old 08-19-2010, 01:01 AM

Are you certain you make too much? Call and see. There may be parts of income they do not count. It is terrible when couples are forced to divorce due to insurance issues. Price midwives, also. See if it would be do-able to pay out of pocket.
#3 of 13 Old 08-19-2010, 01:37 AM

There are different government programs with different income limits. You need to apply for Medicaid (they fast track it for pg ladies) and see what they say.

Have you looked up your states programs?

Resistance is futile Matey
#4 of 13 Old 08-19-2010, 01:37 AM

Oh and congrads!

Resistance is futile Matey
#5 of 13 Old 08-19-2010, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

I applied last night for BadgerCare (I live in WI). We'll see what happens. But our gross income is about $5000/mo. I hate that they take your gross income - we are honestly just getting by and we have canceled cable, reduced our cell phones and are thinking about cutting our home phone. I just don't know where else to cut.
#6 of 13 Old 08-19-2010, 10:17 AM

There is a birth center near here that only makes a woman pay what she can when uninsured. I don't think any uninsured woman pays more than $1200. That would only be $133/month of your pregnancy to save. Check in to other birth options to see if you can find a place like this.

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#7 of 13 Old 08-19-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumada View Post
Anyone have any ideas about what to do? Just found out I was pg, called my health insurance to "just check to see" what would happen if I was pregnant. There is a 12 mo. waiting period! WTF!?
Is this their waiting period for a pre-existing condition? With my last pregnancy, I was told the same thing - that none of the expenses could be covered - because I knew I was already pregnant when the coverage took effect (I had just started a new job). I applied for BadgerCare and was approved. But my insurance did end up paying on my bills. I had always thought that they could not consider pregnancy as a preexisting condition.

BadgerCare is pretty good, though, and I found that the application process was really easy. We just reapplied last week. For pregnant women, your total household income can be up to 300% of poverty level.

Mom to DSS D (7) , DD Elizabeth (8/09) , and expecting DC3 3/30/11
#8 of 13 Old 08-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, the income limits are different for pregnant ladies. Also, if you don't qualify then ask about a medicaid spend down card. It's for folks who don't qualify for medicaid, but encounter extreme or unusual medical expenses.
#9 of 13 Old 08-19-2010, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
your husband might also be able to change coverage (ie include you) if you quit your job. Ask him to call hr and get a list of qualifying 'life events' for changing coverage outside the enrollment period.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#10 of 13 Old 08-26-2010, 05:11 PM

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope you are able to enjoy this sacred time even with the money scares.

I agree with what others have said about checking with your county's human services about maternity insurance. If you do not qualify due to your husband's income, I feel they would have a list of resources that could assist you. They also may be able to help you with other expenses so you can use that money to pay for prenatal care.

Do not be discouraged.
Elizabeth in NC
#11 of 13 Old 08-26-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzysmom View Post
I had always thought that they could not consider pregnancy as a preexisting condition.
They can and do. We had a time period between COBRA ending and our group health insurance starting that we needed a plan just for our family. No one would insure anyone in my family because I was pregnant.

We ended up on state insurance for a couple of months. It wasn't hard at all to get, even though our income is far above the poverty level, (we both work).

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#12 of 13 Old 08-27-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the support and suggestions. We are still waiting to hear from the county whether I qualify for the state health care (BadgerCare). Yes, I have heard too that insurance companies cannot deny you if you are pregnant, but they have sure found a way around that! Which is not that surprising since they only care about their profits and not people.

If the county doesn't pan out I can be added to my husband's health insurance plan on Jan. 1., 2011. I've looked it up and he's talked to his HR person - a pregnancy is NOT a situation where we can get around the open enrollment, so we have to wait (but a birth is a "qualifying life event" where you can get your child automatically added).

His insurance is around $600/mo - so not ideal, but I guess it's our only option then. And hopefully there is no waiting period with his insurance. I'm going to make him or HR call to be absolutely sure.

I did also realize I don't need to be seen by my midwife until I'm 11 weeks, so That will put me at early Oct., then if I go once a month until Dec. we still have some FSA money we could use to pay for those exams. I'm praying that there aren't any complications...

So if anyone has other suggestions, please post. And thanks again everyone for your support and advice. It's so refreshing to connect with people that understand our situation.
#13 of 13 Old 08-27-2010, 04:53 PM

Ask your midwife about stretching those early visits as well. You could go at 11 weeks (early October), then go again at, say, 17 weeks, which would be mid-November, and then, at 23 weeks, which would be the first week in January.

If you have a normal pregnancy, this might be a very good option. You could also delay most of the standard pregnancy bloodwork until January as well. Of course, talk to your midwife about things that you might want to get tested specific to you and your pregnancy, but just because most people get it done at 11 weeks, it doesn't mean that you HAVE to have it done then. THat's just when it is common. You might be healthy, and you and your midwife together might feel comfortable waiting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page