Which car would you sell? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Which car would you sell?
#1 - the pickup 6 12.50%
#2 - the SUV 40 83.33%
#3 - the free giant SUV 0 0%
Keep them all 1 2.08%
other 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have 2 cars, 2 kids, an 80-pound dog, and a baby on the way. Our friends are giving us a third truck - for free.

We only have 2 drivers, and both of us are laid off. DH will find odd jobs to get us thru the winter, and will most likely be rehired in the spring. I plan on SAHM'ing for the next 5 years, grabbing odd jobs when convenient.

#1. 1998 small pickup truck. Used to commute to/from DH's work (construction). Used for all home projects - trips to the dump, loads of mulch, etc. Paid off. 80,000 miles. Might sell for $1-3,000. Best gas mileage. Can bring one kid in it, but it is only a 2-seater, so not the safest option for kid travel.

#2. 2004 SUV. 70,000 miles. Paid off. I use this now for everything we need to bring the kids to. Might sell for $10-12k after cleaning up the cheerios and dog hair! Technically we could maybe fit all 3 kids if we bought the skinny carseats. With the dog, though, it doesn't leave any room for the stuff we would need to take with us to go anywhere.

#3. 2000 SUV extended version. 3 rows of leather seats. My friend said she is so glad that somebody else will get to love her truck, she loved using it for the past several years. Could bring in-laws with us when going places... although that doesn't happen but maybe once a month. Everyone would be comfortable, and plenty of room for stuff. 160,000 miles on it. Trade in value is like $6,000.
#2 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 01:34 PM

We did have a small SUV (Escape) with three kids for over two years. We were able to fit three car seats (Radians). HOWEVER, I discovered that it was difficult for the kids to sit in very close proximity, and there was a whole lot of screaming going on in that back seat. It got to the point where we'd avoid even driving to a city park because we couldn't stand the trip, nevermind traveling anywhere out of town.
We actually didn't realize how bad it was until we got an SUV with a third row, and put two of the kids in the back. We only did this because we were having a 4th and needed more seatbelts. We didn't know how much easier it would be on everyone to have the extra space until we had it. What a difference!
You have an efficient commuter, and with three kids plus a large dog, it really makes sense to keep the bigger family vehicle instead of the 5-passenger SUV.

4 kids under 10
#3 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 01:41 PM

The only reason that I would keep the smaller SUV would be gas mileage, but I think that it would be offset with the price difference of selling the smaller SUV plus you wouldn't have to get new car seats (radians probably) which are an expense. It seems that with your financial situation now having some additional money from selling the Small SUV would be helpful. Good Luck!

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#4 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What about trading #2 and #3 into something that is a better fit for you all than #2 but not so beastly as #3. It is not very Earth respectful thing to have such a impacting vehicle to accommodate (rare) guests and such....

*this is with me thinking of #3 as something as monstrous as an Excursion or the like....

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#5 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
What about trading #2 and #3 into something that is a better fit for you all than #2 but not so beastly as #3.

*this is with me thinking of #3 as something as monstrous as an Excursion or the like....

Yes - it is a yukon xl

And I think it would offend my friend to sell the beloved car she is giving to us.... so that is an aspect of #3 I should have clarified. Ah, emotions vs. finances!!

Speaking of emotions, my hubby is very sad thinking about selling #2, "the only new car he ever had" ... it is making him really feel the "poorness" of this new frugality (very different than when we were DINKS - dual income no kids and no mtge).
#6 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 02:05 PM

Yeah, I would def consider trading the two in then. There are suitable vehicles for 3 kids and a dog. We can easily get a 12 yo, a big 10 yo, a 6.5 yo (in car seat) and a dog in a Passat wagon. I mean, its not a luxurious ride for them, but its doable. I am not the best at car specs (size and environmental impact) but a mid size SUV, mini van or one of the newer styles that I don't really know how to classify :haha would be suitable. I know someone that has a Mazda 5 with 3 carseats in it...

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#7 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post
Yes - it is a yukon xl

And I think it would offend my friend to sell the beloved car she is giving to us.... so that is an aspect of #3 I should have clarified. Ah, emotions vs. finances!!

Speaking of emotions, my hubby is very sad thinking about selling #2, "the only new car he ever had" ... it is making him really feel the "poorness" of this new frugality (very different than when we were DINKS - dual income no kids and no mtge).
Ahh... well, that's definitely a pickle...

#8 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 02:21 PM

If I gave someone a car and they turned around and sold it I would be very upset. Why is she giving it to you? If it was a few years down the road and they had different needs, fine.
#9 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post
If I gave someone a car and they turned around and sold it I would be very upset. Why is she giving it to you? If it was a few years down the road and they had different needs, fine.
I was kind of thinking the same thing. I mean, did you ever mention wanting a different car than the ones you have or something? Before selling it I would talk to the friend.

Quote:
My friend said she is so glad that somebody else will get to love her truck, she loved using it for the past several years.
See... that makes me think she thinks you'll love it, and use it... just something to think about. She sounds like a good friend, and I'd be concerned about keeping the friendship. $6,000 is a lot of money, and if she doesn't know you're intending to sell it, it could cause a LOT of grief. If I were giving something expensive to someone I'd rather them tell me if they were intending to immediately sell it instead. Because then I'd just sell it myself.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#10 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 02:37 PM

Thats understandable also...

I would not get rid of the other SUV tho... I would be leary of a car with that many miles, especially of that make and model being my only form of familial transport ... Perhaps just hang onto them all until a respectable time goes by....

#11 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 02:44 PM

I wouldn't sell your friend's SUV. I think it's very kind of your friend to give it to you, and I wouldn't risk the emotional fall out from that.
#12 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think I would sell the small SUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
We did have a small SUV (Escape) with three kids for over two years. We were able to fit three car seats (Radians). HOWEVER, I discovered that it was difficult for the kids to sit in very close proximity, and there was a whole lot of screaming going on in that back seat. It got to the point where we'd avoid even driving to a city park because we couldn't stand the trip, nevermind traveling anywhere out of town.
Similar experience with 3 across the backseat of our Nissan Murano, it about cost me (what was left of) my sanity.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#13 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 PM

I'd sell #2 without a second thought. I think that- while they are big and monstrous- #3 will serve the needs of your family better as your kids grow (sure, your friend can join us at xyz etc,) it will also probably be less to insure and it will allow greater flexibility for stuff to do as a family -yay- camping trip- WITH the dog!

Additionally, I think you need to maximize the cash in your current EF.

Further, we have done the 'three kids in a single row' approach, and while it worked-ish, it wasn't comfortable for my oldest in particular. We replaced that vehicle with a van with an additional row for seating and the difference is substantial. My oldest can sit in her seat in her own row, the boys each have their own 'captain's' chair seats, I have room to get groceries AND the dogs can go with us on outings.

It sounds like the pickup is a work/functional vehicle and must stay. If your DH is really attached to the other SUV- maybe that should become his car while the pickup is sold- I think in this situation, I'd leave that ball in his court.
#14 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 09:11 PM

Sell #2 after your DH and you have a nice date night driving around town in the new to you #3. Once he sees how nice it is (it sounds like a step up from #2 anyways), he'll come around.
#15 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 09:20 PM

I picked sell the smaller SUV. We used to have a bigger SUV (not huge, but it had the third row) and I MISS it soooo much. And we only have one child and no dogs Anyway, keep the little truck for work stuff, or sell the truck and small SUV and get a replacement truck (a little newer- 12 years is kind of getting up there) pay down the credit card and have some money left to pay for the extra gas. I wouldn't accept the SUV from the friend if you plan on selling it.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#16 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I voted #2, just because you'd get the most cash out of it and you'll fit better in the bigger SUV. But I could see keeping them all too.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#17 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 09:47 PM

I would sell the smaller SUV -- it doesn't sound like it quite meets your needs anyway, and you can get the most money for it.

If you are seriously considering selling the big SUV, I would discuss it with your friend BEFORE she gives you the car. I'd be seriously MAD if I gave someone a car (which is incredibly generous, I don't think I WOULD give someone a car to begin with!) and they immediately sold it. If it was a few years down the line, of course, sell it, but right away? No -- at least not with first letting me know that if I gave them the car, they'd be selling it, and giving me the opportunity to keep the car & sell it myself.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#18 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 11:04 PM

I get why your husband is upset about selling number 2 but he'll get over it.

I didn't own a car until after college and I got my first "real" job. I bought it myself, paid it off myself, kept it in my maiden name (mainly because changing it was more work than I wanted), anyway when it died and they towed it away I shed a few tears, it was a symbol of a different life. That said, if you both are unemployed getting 10-12,000 is a nice safety net, and the other two vechiles will fit your needs fine.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#19 of 22 Old 08-25-2010, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
What about trading #2 and #3 into something that is a better fit for you all than #2 but not so beastly as #3. It is not very Earth respectful thing to have such a impacting vehicle to accommodate (rare) guests and such....

I think it would be more 'Earth respectful' to use something you already have than buy something new and create a demand for that item in the manufacturer's eyes.
#20 of 22 Old 08-25-2010, 01:15 PM

Never said "new"... And that logic is pretty faulty, if you think about it, esp in regards to vehicles

ETA*** Which is not to say that I don't understand the OPs reasoning for wanting to keep that vehicle

#21 of 22 Old 08-25-2010, 08:34 PM

I would also sell #2
I agree that your husband will come around to liking the new SUV. If my kids can touch each other in the car it's a recipe for disater and not an enjoyable ride anywhere for anyone! I love my 3rd row of seats and I can't even imagine going back to 2.

Mariah
Mommy to Lily & Kane and we're homeschooling joy.gif
#22 of 22 Old 08-26-2010, 11:23 AM

Sell #2.

I also have an 80lb-ish (well, 75lb) dog so I understand how much space they take up. The large SUV will fit your whole family on a trip - 3 kids, a dog plus luggage takes up a huge amount of space.

I also think it's a good idea to keep the small truck, as it's handy and useful for your husband's job(s).

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page