School Shopping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2010, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With school right around the corner and my daughter out growing all her clothing. We will have to go major school shopping this year. Where do you get inexpensive school clothing for your child besides the thrift stores (already will be going to them). I am wondering if there is inexpensive online stores or stores out there that I can get a bargin.

Thanks

Megan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Gap has 30% off this weekend if you have the give/get code... you should be able to google it.

Also I was in REI tonight and they had tons of clearance items.

With labor day coming there should be more great sales, Do you have an outlet mall near you? DS and I are headed up to ours next weekend (laborday, probably friday sometime)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 08-25-2010, 07:04 AM

Children's Place has some crazy sales right now. I went with a friend who was shopping for her DS a few days ago and they had some super cute long sleeved t-shirts for $5 and if you gave them your email address, they knocked an additional 15% off. I really should not be spending anything, but I did buy DS a crazy cute black skeleton T that had candy in the belly for $4.25. They had tons of deals for boys and girls at near thrift store prices.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 AM

Lands End overstocks. Go to their home page and look to the right at the top. I live in Canada and they often have free shipping; but even when they don't, the buys are amazing. For dd: beautiful winter cords for $6 and matching sherpa-lined fleece hoodie for $8. Long-sleeved tye-dyed shirt for $4. Winter wool skirt with shorts underneath for $4. And a fastastic sports bra for me for $2. Also check their "on the counter" feature. The clothes are mostly not $2 and $3, (though some are), but the quality is incredible and they are all completely guaranteed. Last year, I did have to return a pair of winter boots for dd. She had worn them a couple of months and they sprang a leak. I didn't think they held up reasonably, so I returned them. No problem. I wouldn't abuse the warranty, but it's nice to know I won't have to fight with sales staff and waste my money on something that didn't last.

Oh, just a note: Their sizes run really big. Dd is normally a 7/8 now at places like TCP, but she is barely a 6 in most things at Lands End. That means shopping for their "little kid" line.

I check it all the time and don't really bother with stores anymore. I know it's not as eco-friendly as thrift stores, but the things I buy from them are cheaper than the Salvation Army, unless it's their half-price day. I do still go there, but it's nice to have a brand-new wardrobe for all of us for so little. I've even started buying dh's work clothes on-line from them. At first he was skeptical, until I produced beautiful grey pants that came with free hemming that fit him perfectly for $16.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:39 AM

If there is a Kohls near you they have great prices and good sales right now. I just got some great shirts for my daughter for $3.60 each.

Susan hippie.gif Mama to DD (15) guitar.gif : DD (18) geek.gif & cat.gif
goorganic.jpg Rainbow.gifjoy.giftreehugger.gif winner.jpg coolshine.gifribbongrey.gif
Old 08-25-2010, 09:41 AM

E-bay!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 08-25-2010, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Our school has a school uniform so we are a bit more limited in where we can shop. However last year we started a used uniform sale. It's worked really well.

There is a box in reception where people can put thier used uniform at any time, then whenever there is a parents evening or other school event there is a table set up with the used uniforms for sale. The school logo stuff is around half the price of new and non logo stuff usually less. There is also a bargain box, with stuff that needs a new button or has a stain or something and is really cheep.

It's been a great fund-raiser for the school and I can get cheep school clothes. It's worth trying if your school has a uniform.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4mady View Post
With school right around the corner and my daughter out growing all her clothing. We will have to go major school shopping this year. Where do you get inexpensive school clothing for your child besides the thrift stores (already will be going to them). I am wondering if there is inexpensive online stores or stores out there that I can get a bargin.

Thanks

Megan
We have a Children's Place outlet near us, and they are really still a true outlet--most clothing under $5/each (and obviously having coming from the regular retail locations in the area over the past year). 3/4s of the store is also girl's clothing.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:59 PM

For me, it depends on what your child wears. I have noticed IME, shopping at Kohls for girls clothing as of lately, it all fades or falls apart super fast. Both my daughter like stretch pants and the kohls version fades within 2-3 washings. Also some of their size 7 and above just are not aprapo for my dd.

Gap clothing is a bit more $$ but lasts and can be passed down to her sister.
With some of their promos lately, its worth it to shop there. I also shop some of the better dept stores for their markdowns and they also last or can take a beating in the washer.

I am sure if my kids would wear jeans, it might be easier. Lands end clothes are also of high quality incl their back packs. We have on from last year that is still perfect. Of course DD wanted a different style though.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 08-25-2010, 02:59 PM

I agree that you can do very well buying large lots of children's clothing on ebay... especially if you have a girl. The used clothing market is much better for girls than boys.

I shop a lot at outlet malls, where I hit Carter's, The Children's Place, Osh Kosh, Stride Rite and Gymboree. I shop clearance racks and use coupons. My current price points are :

$8 or less for dresses.
$4 or less for shirts
$15 or less for shoes.
$10 or less for pants.
$20 or less for coats.
$1 for tights.
$0.50 for socks.

I can usually do significantly better than this though. I would put off shopping until after Labour Day if you've got a local outlet mall though. The deals are better once the tourist traffic is gone (I find all of my $5 shoes, $1 shirts and shorts, $3 pants, $6 coats, etc in October and February).

I can't go into The Children's Place at the mall anymore. The stuff is so, SO much cheaper at the outlet. The $5 racks often go on an extra 50% mark down.

Target has nice, inexpensive basics. I just picked up a couple of pairs of Mary Jane shoes for $8 each. They have a lot $4 leggings and t shirts.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
Old 08-25-2010, 03:13 PM

Nothing beats a good Old Navy sale
Old 08-25-2010, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Great Ideas! I am going to check out the lands end overstock. We buy a lot of their stuff because of the quality. I think we should drive over to the outlets on Labor day and see what we can get. I bet it will be so crowded but, If I can get a good deal on stuff then I will deal with it
Old 08-25-2010, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We've had a ton of back to school swaps around here. Everyone brings their old clothes and takes home stuff that's "new to them". So yeah, I've spent less than a hundred dollars per kid on shoes and underwear because all the rest was free!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:40 PM

We mostly go to TJMaxx. If you look hard enough, you can find really good deals on nice clothes. I used to shop at Old Navy and Target and the quality is just awful. Sure I'd spend $2 on a shirt, but it wouldn't last more than a few months.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

The clothing swap is a wonderful idea. I should look around and see if there is anything like that in my area.

I went on Lands End overstock yesterday and found some great, quality clothing.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 08:07 PM

Trust me I have done all my shopping so far. I didnt want to wait till last minute, plus I had went on a vacation so whatever neat little stuff that I could find I bought them. I feel more comfortable that my DD is prepared for school now. Now all she has to do is to continue to make me proud as always.

Worlds Best Mom

User Tag List