September Home Cooking Challenge - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 160 Old 09-18-2010, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Tonight we had brown rice pasta with sauteed red peppers, mushrroms, shallots and soy curls in tomato sauce. It was soooo good! It came together really fast and was a crowd pleaser.
I've seen many people talk about soy curls. What are they? Is it like TVP? Where to you get it?

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#122 of 160 Old 09-18-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
I've seen many people talk about soy curls. What are they? Is it like TVP? Where to you get it?
Soy Curls are kind of like TVP, except more like morningstar strips that are dehydrated if that makes more sense. They are made from WHOLE soybeans, so they have all the fiber of soybeans, etc. Here's a post about them from Bryanna Clark Grogan which explains their goodness better than I can.

I get them from either Food Fight in Portland, Sidecar for Pigs Peace in Seattle or by ordering from Azure Standard. They are the awesome, I highly recommend them!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#123 of 160 Old 09-18-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Soy Curls are kind of like TVP, except more like morningstar strips that are dehydrated if that makes more sense. They are made from WHOLE soybeans, so they have all the fiber of soybeans, etc. Here's a post about them from Bryanna Clark Grogan which explains their goodness better than I can.

I get them from either Food Fight in Portland, Sidecar for Pigs Peace in Seattle or by ordering from Azure Standard. They are the awesome, I highly recommend them!
Awesome! Thanks!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#124 of 160 Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 AM

Yesterday we spent the afternoon at a wedding/reception. We ate there and then had some leftovers later on last night.

Tonight we're having waffles (and I'll stock the freezer too) and sausage patties.
#125 of 160 Old 09-19-2010, 01:16 PM

We've been doing well, although TBH, it's not a huge challenge for us. We ate out twice so far, planned and budgeted, for birthday so we've had 0 unintentional days of eating out. We had a turkey dinner this weekend and I will morph this into Turkey Tetrazzini and Turkey Manhattans this week. I can't wait, because these are favorites here, but we don't eat them often. especially when it's warm. Unfortunately, it's still really warm here in the Midwest, as fall seems to have eluded us this year, and I'm not getting to make many familiar and comforting cool weather meals. I'm just going to defy Mother Nature and serve these cool-weather dishes anyway.
#126 of 160 Old 09-20-2010, 12:59 PM

Let me think...

Thurs. supper was chili.

Fri. supper was potato stew.

Saturday...grilled cheese for lunch, and supper was at a wedding, where the bride and groom were very clear that they'd ordered 2.5 times more mains than guests, so come hungry! We ate very well.

Sunday lunch was a feed of on-sale (less than 1/2 price) frozen pizzas. Not home cooking, but not take-out. We do pizza (of any type) very infrequently, so it was something of a treat, esp. for DS14.

Because lunch was late, supper was air-popped popcorn and 'snacky' stuff - crackers/cheese, fruit, etc.

DS took leftovers for lunch, and DH will be at the airport, travelling for a work trip, so his employer pays for lunch today. LO and I will have lunch and supper of...whatever I feel like putting together, I suppose. He had a *very* restless night last night (teething) so we're both a little tired today! Meals will be 'in' and from stuff on hand though, come what may. I think I see scrambled eggs w/veggies in our future.
#127 of 160 Old 09-20-2010, 02:16 PM

Friday: Tacos
Saturday: Captain D's
Sunday: Leftover Captain D's
Monday: More Leftovers for lunch, and The PGEW Fried rice recipe for dinner

Single mom to 2 boys
#128 of 160 Old 09-20-2010, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
We've been doing well, although TBH, it's not a huge challenge for us. We ate out twice so far, planned and budgeted, for birthday so we've had 0 unintentional days of eating out. We had a turkey dinner this weekend and I will morph this into Turkey Tetrazzini and Turkey Manhattans this week. I can't wait, because these are favorites here, but we don't eat them often. especially when it's warm. Unfortunately, it's still really warm here in the Midwest, as fall seems to have eluded us this year, and I'm not getting to make many familiar and comforting cool weather meals. I'm just going to defy Mother Nature and serve these cool-weather dishes anyway.
Whats a turkey manhattan?

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#129 of 160 Old 09-20-2010, 02:52 PM

We did pretty good last week. DH and DS's went out on Friday night in part to help facilitate my showing of our house to a prospective buyer. DS1 had pizza again at a birthday party yesterday and DH and DS2 had wings at a sport bar type place for lunch. We each had one lunch during the week out (instead of brown bagging it).
#130 of 160 Old 09-20-2010, 05:22 PM

i'd love to join you all......is it okay to join in so late in the game?

i'm an obsessive, er...avid, cook and cook at home 99% of the time, but love these kinds of challenges anyway......and love getting some inspiration to try some new things!

breakfast this morning was scrambled eggs and bacon. lunch was packed for kids and dh and a green salad at home for me.

toinght's dinner at our house is pasta with tomato cream sauce and 'the bread', which i'm going to add some garlic powder and shredded parmesan cheese too.....both courtesy of the pioneer woman. i just love her!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#131 of 160 Old 09-21-2010, 10:30 AM

Last night we had dinner at my mom's.

Tonight we're having grilled chicken breasts, pasta and zucchini of some sort.
#132 of 160 Old 09-21-2010, 11:50 AM

Last night was rotini pasta with puttanesca pesto with dragon's tongue green beans on the side.

#133 of 160 Old 09-21-2010, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thursday 9.2:
Dinner: Blackened chicken alfredo with fettuccine, broccoli

Friday 9.3:
Dinner: Ceasar salads with left over blackend chicken, Roasted garlic bread

Saturday 9.4:
uhm... I forget... we ate at home though, and there was rice

Sunday 9.5:
Ate with my spouses family

Monday 9.6:
Left overs sent home with us from sunday for lunch, We ordered pizza for dinner (we needed to go grocery shopping)

Tuesday 9.7:
Big grocery shopping day=fend for yourself dinner

Wednesday 9.8:
Lunch: sweet and sour pork, rice
Dinner: Mini meatball sliders, fresh french fries, watermelon
Baked: Peanut butter banana muffins

Thursday 9.9:
Lunch: Leftovers from dinner (this is usually the case)
Dinner: hearty chicken and noodles, rolls, watermelon
Baked: Oatmeal rasin muffins

Friday 9.10:
Dinner: Fry bread tacos

Saturday 9.11:
Dinner: Chicken and leek stroganoff, rice (maybe noodles instead)

Thursday 9.9:
Lunch: Leftovers from dinner (this is usually the case)
Dinner: hearty chicken and noodles, rolls, watermelon
Baked: Oatmeal rasin muffins
Baked: Lemon crumb squares

Friday 9.10:
Dinner: Fry bread tacos
Baked: Peanut butter bars

Saturday 9.11:
Dinner: Chicken and leek stroganoff, rice (maybe noodles instead)

^ that was delicious BTW

Sunday 9.12:
Lunch: loaded potato skins
Dinner: probably going to be fried rice, maybe some fresh spring rolls
Dinner last night ended up being broccoli cheddar soup with french bread croutons (I was out of peas! Peas are a must for fried rice!)

So tonight will likely be fried rice, provided I go to the store and get peas
Monday 9.13: I got peas! so we had chicken fried rice with fried mozzarella cause they go together
Baked: Oatmeal raisin cookies

Tuesday 9.14: Slow cooked bbq pork, home fries and sauteed green beans, I think
Baked: Vanilla Bean Scones

Wednesday 9.15: I'm thinking some lasagna roll ups and a salad

Thursday 9.16: Guests coming over. I am making chicken fajitas with beans, rice, and homemade tortillas

Friday 9.17: Corn Chowder

Saturday 9.18: Sweet and sour pork with rice and veggies

Sunday: Something with ground beef.... idk what yet though

Monday: Ham and scalloped potatoes

Well, we ended up having the Ham and Scalloped Potatoes Sunday night,

So here we are:

Saturday 9.18: Sweet and sour pork with rice and veggies

Sunday 9.19: Ham and scalloped potatoes
Ice Box cake

Monday 9.20: London Broil, buttered angel hair and roasted carrots.

Tuesday 9.21: Using the ground beef I cooked the other day and making Lasagna rolls...
Peanut butter oatmeal cookies

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#134 of 160 Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 PM

on the menu today:

breakfast: bagels, fruit & oj (coffee for mama )

lunch: kids take theirs to school (salad, yogurt, fruit, pretzels), dh usually takes his too, but he's in bed sick , and i just have leftovers or a salad.

dinner: BLT's & homemade oven potato chips (tuesday nights are family confirmation at church for my dd, so i make dinner and my son stays home & eats his there, and myself, dd & dh eat at church......although i don't think dh will make it tonight. but i like to make/bring dinner rather than run through someplace.....crap food and $$$. plus we live 10 min. from church/school so no reason not to.)

#135 of 160 Old 09-21-2010, 01:08 PM

I made the PGEW chicken fried rice last night. It was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo good Def make it if you are looking for an easy meal. I used organic brown rice, and made it yesterday morning and stuck it in the fridge until dinner (she said cold worked best). Def gonna make a double batch next time and freeze the extras. The amount on the recipe fed 2 people with very little leftover.

I have mushroom steak in the crockpot for supper, just gonna make the potatoes and veggies later

Single mom to 2 boys
#136 of 160 Old 09-21-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
Whats a turkey manhattan?
I'm not the PP, but it bread, mashed potato, and turkey with gravy over the whole thing.

Where I grew up they are just called hot turkey sandwich. In Indiana they are manhattans. Why I have no idea
#137 of 160 Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 PM

Last night was spagetti and veggie sausage. Tonight I don't have to cook DH's uncle (who lives 2 apartments down from us) invited us over for dinner tonight. I am grateful but slightly frightened since we are vegetarian and I am not sure they fully understand what that means (no broth, no lard etc...) We shall see.

#138 of 160 Old 09-22-2010, 10:09 AM

Dh and ds2 requested tacos last night so we'll have the grilled chicken tonight.
#139 of 160 Old 09-22-2010, 02:56 PM

This week we've had--
Sat: Spaghetti w/ red sauce and turkey sausage, salad (used up the last of the canned tomatoes from last year's hurricane supplies )
Sun: Roast chicken, brussel sprouts, mashed potatoes
Mon: Leftover red sauce, pasta and meatballs, caesar salad
Tues: Orange chicken (convenience package from TJ's but still cheaper than take-out), rice, green peas

Tonight will be pork tenderloin, apple sauce, acorn squash, and maybe salad/bread.

We're hosting 2 exchange students for the next 3 weeks which has made estimating amounts a little challenging. Many of these dinners would usually last us for 2 nights but now I only end up with enough for 1 night + maybe lunch for a couple people. (However the hosting stipend is VERY generous so it all works out in the end.)
#140 of 160 Old 09-22-2010, 03:22 PM

on the menu for today.....

breakfast: caramel apple sticky rolls & oj

lunch: kids & dh packed. for me, sadly, nothing. been too busy around the house to even notice.

dinner: dd(13) has a volleyball game this evening at 5:30, so dinner will be a tad later than usual. we're having grilled chicken breast, oven roasted broccoli, cauliflower & red potatoes, w/parmesan cheese.

#141 of 160 Old 09-22-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter View Post
I realized when looking at our bank account today that the months when I plan our meals in advance, I make 2-3 trips to the grocery store, and spend about $300 CAD for DH & I. BUT... when I don't plan... I'm at the grocery store 8-12 twelve times, spend between $400 & $500 CAD, don't eat as well, and am more stressed about "what to cook tonight?!".
I'm pretty excited - so far this month we've spent about $200 on groceries/meals and I don't need to buy much to manage through the next 8 days. That $200 includes a few splurges on foods that my early pregnant stomach will tolerate and wants.
#142 of 160 Old 09-22-2010, 06:25 PM

Tuesday: Mushroom Steak with gravy and potatoes
Wednesday: Chilli

tomorrow...idk, gotta dig through the freezer..prob corndogs lol

Single mom to 2 boys
#143 of 160 Old 09-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Tonight it's stuffed pattypan squash...and I'm thinking pasta with pesto. With salad. And possibly garlic bread. Yeah.

Tomorrow it's use-up-the-veggies stir fry night. Probably with soy curls.

Friday it's going to be something involving Pinto beans, because I've got some soaked in the fridge!

#144 of 160 Old 09-23-2010, 10:20 AM

Tonight is the stuffed zucchini I've been wanting to try all summer. I'm not quite sure what all will go into it yet. And baked potatoes.
#145 of 160 Old 09-23-2010, 11:11 AM

on the menu today....

breakfast: bagels, fruit, oj

lunch: dh & kids packed, me at home

dinner: grilled ribeyes, au gratin potatoes & green salad

#146 of 160 Old 09-24-2010, 11:01 AM

My stuffed zucchini turned out really well! I used a box of spanish rice I found in the cupboard, some leftover sausage, onions and cheese.

Tonight is pizza night. I am going out to lunch with a friend today but it's the only time I've gone out all month and it's for her birthday.
#147 of 160 Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 PM

tonight is my kid's school carnival so we'll be eating our dinner there....which means a night off of kitchen duty for mom! and after a night of not much sleep and a day of constant running (so far), it's a welcome relief.

#148 of 160 Old 09-25-2010, 11:48 AM

Tonight is fried potatoes and onions with sausages.

And I felt horrible after having lunch out yesterday. That's pretty common for me since I rarely eat out, but sometimes it's nice to not have to cook every single day. Guess I learned my lesson though.
#149 of 160 Old 09-25-2010, 05:48 PM

Last night was (leftover) rice and pinto beans, topped with some shredded cheddar and avocado.

Breakfast today was roasted fingerling potatoes with cippolini onions, shallots, garlic and fresh thyme with sun dried tomato and mushroom omelet.

Lunch was leftover buffet!

Dinner tonight will be homemade pizzas.

#150 of 160 Old 09-25-2010, 07:13 PM

Fri night we were feeling really lazy and in the past, we would have just ordered take-out. BUT we managed to clean out the fridge and put together leftovers for everyone.

Tonight dh is making mussels- yummy!

Unfortunately he shopped at Whole Foods instead of TJ's today because he was "in the neighborhood". That probably cancels out what we've saved by not eating out this month.

But I can tell we're developing some good habits-- like packing adult lunches when I pack the kids' lunchboxes every morning. That's a big improvement right there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page