Mothering Forum banner

I need a superawesome deal on a bike for my 6-year-old

1K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  User101 
#1 ·
He REALLY wants a bike for his birthday, but money is tight, tight, tight with the babies coming. Anyone know where to point me for a great deal on a kid bike? It doesn't need to be a name brand or anything. Online is best, because I'm on self-imposed semi-bedrest right now.

#10 ·
We got DDs from ebay. I have to admit I was a bit worried about buying without being able to see it first but the one we bought had plenty of pictures.

Do you have a school notice board or somewhere that you could put a wanted add, there must be lots of people looking to sell outgrown bikes.

#12 ·
Put the word out to neighbors friends and family also. I find that most people know of someone giving one away or have just the right size sitting in their garage. We have only bought one bike, on a whim at toys r us. Of course as soon as we came home no less than three people said oh I didn't know you were looking for a bike. Lol. Now our kids have three sets of really nice bikes that we paid nothing for- one set at home, one set at my moms and one set at our beach house. Some were hand me downs some were saved from the landfill. The most we've had to do is replace tubes in one bike or add grease to squeaky pedals.

#15 ·
for a 6 yo? I would post on Craigs List or free cycle and tell the story of the birthday I bet someone would give you one.

I was also going to ask if your partner or a friend at any kind of company might have a source for selling/trading. We have a very active electronic bulletin board at my work where people are always posting kid things for sale. In my case, I think most people just want to get rid of stuff and aren't looking to make much (if any) money.

Another suggestion I have is to go to the "rich" part of town/swanky supermarket and put a posting there - something catchy - Low Income, bed ridden mom seeks to give 6 yo son the birthday present of his dreams - anyone got a bike for sale cheap? Will trade for muffins or cookies!

Would that be like totally out of your comfort zone to do? Because I would totally respond to a post like that.

#16 ·
Our dump has a place to put decent items you no longer want. That is where most of our bikes have come from, actually all but one of the bikes my kids have needed the past 10 years. Many are in great condition and ready to ride. Some have needed a bit of work. None have needed more work than I was capable of providing.

Does your town or a neighboring one have such a thing? I wish you lived near me- I could get you one!

Also, I *wouldn't* respond to a posting of "Low income, bed ridden, etc" because I don't trust someone who would try to play on my emotions. But that is just me!

#17 ·
What I might do is just get him the bike and have that be it. We were originally going to do a party, but I honestly don't think I can handle that right now. Maybe I can bribe him out of the party with a trip to Toys R Us or some other store that will assemble the bike for us.

#18 ·
I did that with my son the year after the twins were born. "Wouldn't you rather have a big present than have a birthday party?" We skipped the hassle of an at home party and instead bought him a wii and had a small family party with dinner, cake and an hour of playing basketball, tennis and water skiing in the living room. Personally, I think I was very smart!

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mumm View Post
I did that with my son the year after the twins were born. "Wouldn't you rather have a big present than have a birthday party?" We skipped the hassle of an at home party and instead bought him a wii and had a small family party with dinner, cake and an hour of playing basketball, tennis and water skiing in the living room. Personally, I think I was very smart!

I love you. You just made all my guilt go away.

#20 ·
THRIFT! We have gotten EVERY single bike for my 7.5 year old (4 bikes total now) from thrift stores for a fraction of the price. The most we ever paid was 25 dollars for a nearly 200 dollar bike in pristine condition.

Check it out! You might have to look a little longer but you will find one.

Good luck!

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
What I might do is just get him the bike and have that be it. We were originally going to do a party, but I honestly don't think I can handle that right now. Maybe I can bribe him out of the party with a trip to Toys R Us or some other store that will assemble the bike for us.
TRU, Target, Wal-mart...they all have the bikes pre-asseblemed and ready to try out right there in the store... its a kids bike galore!.... I bet he would totally go for that. The stores by me are having some super sales right now - a combo of back to school, fall / good weather-cooler weather, and pre holiday sale, you should be able to find something 'on sale' lol

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama J Rock View Post
Do you live near a Menards? They have a labor day sale flyer out with a kids 20" bike for $19.99 after a $30 mail in rebate. Kind of a pain to have to wait for the rebate but still a great price if you can.
Wow, that's an awesome deal! Sadly, no Menards here. But what a great bargain!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.