Sorry so long!
dagny - I've always wanted to make homemade bread but I've just never gotten around to actually trying it. I don't have a bread machine but I do have a big mixer with a dough hook, just in case that is needed hehe. Is it difficult? Sorry that the garage sale didn't turn out as well as you'd expected. Yay for the group deal on trash, we had one a few years ago and it cut our monthly waste disposal in half! Ya for staying in-budget on the gift purchases too and how exciting to pay off those two debts, especially family debts!
RainbowTurtle - Welcome and yeehaw on the car payoff - how exciting!!
mtm - I wonder if the Princess how is on Netflix/Hulu or something. I'll watch anything I can watch that will help me stay focused. I didn't see that you'd gotten past BS3 (or I forgot) so congrats if I missed it!
ltlmrs - Yay for things not being as bad as you expected. Since you know that the employment status is shaky I'd actually consider stopping your debt snowball now and just pile up cash. Then if his employment continues or it isn't as bad as once was expected you can use the extra saved up to pay down on your debt.
akichan - Congrats?!? hehe It sounds like you are excited and so I'm happy that you are no longer in a holding pattern and can move forward with your plan! With regards to the whole life, I always hear Dave say don't cancel it until you have term in place - I'm guessing you're going to do that, though. I'd check an independent insurance agent who can quote from a variety of companies.
September is wrapping up nicely here. My husband received an email this past week that he was awarded 600 shares of his company's stock - current value is a little over $13k. However, there is a vesting period. Next September 150 shares will open up and then 150 shares each September after that until the 600 shares are all gone. We plan on selling them once they vest and applying them to our baby steps.
I'm looking for some input/advice here. We really need (want?) to move next year. The kids' school district is woefully underfunded and they just closed schools and so now the 1st grade classroom has about 35 kids. The 4th grade classroom was just as bad and my son is both gifted and has learning difficulties and they just can't figure out what to do with him. Sooo…they just kept putting him on the computer. Put him on the computer and he's going to interrupt his peers. It was an endless cycle and so I withdrew him to do the k12.com curriculum in our state.
I didn't plan on homeschooling and although this is "school at home" I'm investing 30-35 hours in it. This is on top of my work and frankly, my son and I have the exact same personality which makes me being his "teacher" difficult. LOL
So we want to move next summer. Our house is upside down despite the fact that we bought it almost 9 years ago (fixed rate mortgage, no PMI, etc…just crappy market). We will be in BS4+ by then so what I'm thinking we'll do is move and rent in the city where my sister lives and teaches so my kids can go to school with their cousins and where their auntie teaches. It is in the same metropolitan area but is definitely a much better school district and their services for kids like my son are fantastic!
We aren't sure that we want to deal with renters, though. So we have a few options available to us.
1. Stay put and stick it out with the virtual school until the housing market rebounds in a few years
2. Move and rent in the new location and then rent our house out to cover part of the mortgage
3. Move and rent in the new location and then just leave our house vacant and hope it sells within two years so we don't have to pay capital gains tax. This could come either through a market rebound or the paying down of our upside-downness to sell
As an aside, my daughter is attending a ballet school that is part of the local professional ballet company. If she advances next year to the pre-professional program then I will have to put her in the k12.com program in order for us to make it to the ballet school for the start of classes. We kind of live in the boonies right now but if we move to the city my sis lives in she'll be able to continue to attend school (which is definitely her choice).
From a financial perspective if things stay the same, rent on the new place will be about 1/4 to 1/3 of our current BS2 snowball payment (based on a 3br house that is a lil smaller than what we have). Our current mortgage is about 15% or so of our net pay.
So wise ladies, WWYD?