What food items do you avoid buying because of price? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2010, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are unable to buy certain items for whatever reason that is.

And I think we can skip the "lobster/caviar/filet mignon" set.

Resistance is futile Matey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I don't buy as much organic as I'd like. I don't buy raw milk. I just can't justify it when we get WIC. I've switched to more organic/pastured meats but not for everything yet. I also don't get things like sprouted breads, kefir, etc. I stay away from higher priced produce most of the time, for example only buying blueberries frozen. And of course to justify the improvements we have made (higher quality foods, pastured meats) I've cut out a lot of processed junk like frozen foods, hamburger helper, boxed and canned meals, and the like. That's a good thing though, lol.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM

I sadly skip the bulk section ay my local food co-op It seems like the prices should be "better" because it's "bulk" but it's just not! I beleive it's because the quality is so much better. Organic beans in bulk would be AWESOME but I end up buying the cheap bag at the grocery store Just read an article too that described "stale beans" and realized it's what I have been preparing and eating my whole life Wonder what fancy un-stale beans taste like??!!

So if money fell from the sky, bulk beans, rice, fancy flour from the bulk section would be my splurge!!!!

:
Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM

I have access to an excellent selection of local dairy products (raw milk, various cheeses, butter, yoghurt, etc.) plus meat. I actually do get the equivilent of a stick of butter a week, but it's my "special" butter - I get store butter to make up the rest.

And local meat is all we'll eat, but we don't get much.

I would love to buy the local milk and cheeses, but those are just rare "special occasion" treats for us.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good cheeses and olives... We're really lucky to get raw, grassfed, Jersey milk for $5 a gallon so no worries there.

But yeah, good cuts of meat (we try to eat grassfed, local, etc, but we buy a lot of cheap cuts- ground beef, whole chickens, etc), cheese, olives, bacon....I'd love to get more gluten free products, but they're hugely expensive and I'd just be obese, so...

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 PM

I avoid nearly all snack food except for basic (and cheap) pretzels and potato chips from a local producer. I just can bring myself to buy a $4 bag of fancy pita chips (or whatever) knowing it will be gone in one, quick sitting.

Our grocery store as lots of very appealling natural(-ish) snacks calling out to me but I resist. I was staring at a $4.50 pack of organic herb-y, cheese-y cracker-y things the other day and then I realized the pack only contained 30 some crackers.

I also avoid ice cream. It is a waste in our house. After the second "session" DH turns up his nose because no matter what I do, it startes to get stale and crystal-y.

Fancier bread too. There are some at my store that I love but at $4 per loaf, that is too much when the back 1/3 goes to waste.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 PM

Prepared food like the quinoi salad or cous cous salad at wholefoods. I can prepare similar salads myself for about 1/4 of the price.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:07 PM

Nicer meat cuts.
Kefir.
Anything prepared(but really, I'd rather make from scratch anyway).
Organic coffee(this is one place I can cut the grocery budget, and do).
Fruit that's not on sale. I try to avoid anything that's more than $2 a pound for organic. So it rules out a lot. We mostly eat bananas, apples, peaches(when at peak of season), pears, and grapes(when at peak of season). We do a bit of other stuff here and there, but not as much as I or the kids would like.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
Fancier bread too. There are some at my store that I love but at $4 per loaf, that is too much when the back 1/3 goes to waste.
A loaf of $4.50 fancy bread is, I'm embarrassed to say, a nearly weekly purchase in our family. USUALLY it gets all eaten up, but a couple of times (usually when counters are cluttered and the loaf gets "forgotten") it's gone stale.

There's lots of things to do with stale bread - bread pudding comes to mind for starters.

I also make a quiche that uses stale bread, I think it's nice.

- 6 eggs
- Couple ounces of cheese (any - cheddar is nice) shredded, grated or cut into bits
- A bunch of greens (chard, kale, spinach, whatever), chopped
- A small/medium onion, minced
- Some stale bread, crumbled or cut into crouton-sized bits. I've used varying amounts before, a little or a lot.
- 1 TBSP butter
- Bit of tamari/soy sauce
- Optional: fresh basil or other herbs

Preheat oven to 350F. Sautee onion in butter over medium. Then add greens and sautee until wilted (along with fresh herbs, if any). Turn off heat. In cooking pan or in a separate bowl, mix all ingredients. Pour into 8x8 baking dish. Cook at 350F for 25 minutes. Yum!

Old 09-02-2010, 02:14 PM

fresh bell peppers off season.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 09-02-2010, 02:16 PM

Prepared & frozen foods, local grass-fed meat, many fresh veggies, most snack items, berries out of season, better dairy products (un-homogenized milk, good cheese, etc) many items from the local Asian market...

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:40 PM

Fage yogurt. I love it, but it costs $6.99 for a tub. I make a poor substitute by draining the water out of store brand at $1.99. I just can't justify paying the extra $5.

I would love to buy more organics, but the price is high and the selection poor here.

I do give myself the freedom to buy the good ice cream, we just have it much less often than I would like.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 PM

Cereal. Oats are soooooo much cheaper.

Ezekial Bread

Organic Cottage cheese (and I won't eat the cheap stuff bc I think it tastes bad so I go without)

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:52 PM

A lot of organic stuff, really. I try to buy organic veggies and fruits when I can, but organic milk, cheeses, etc., we normally cannot afford.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Old 09-02-2010, 03:23 PM

We don't ever have snacky food in the house; it just disappears too quickly to justify the expense. No chips, cookies, fruit snacks, juice, drinks besides milk on our list. We also don't eat much beef, because I've started buying the local stuff from the farm stand, and it's fairly expensive.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
And I think we can skip the "lobster/caviar/filet mignon" set.
But, domestic caviar is SO affordable these days.

When our income went bye-bye we stopped buying so much of the following:

-convenience foods (like already chopped produce, not processed crap)
-produce out of season
-higher end ingredients (fancy oils, great cheese for just one recipe)
-anything from the olive bar
-my $10/lb coffee
-higher priced seafood and meat
-I no longer have a fresh flower bouquet in the house at all times.

-my main thing though was to stop making the specialty grocier my normal grocery store. Now we go there maybe once a month for a special meal.

And now our splurges are different. For example, instead of buying a couple of filets, I'll buy the whole tenderloin from Costco, DH will butcher it and we'll have several steaks in the freezer.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:31 PM

I have just cut out cheese. We are also veg so we do not have the cost of meat in our budget.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
Cut the loaf when you buy it and freeze half or 1/3. That's how I deal with the problem.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:45 PM

I think everyone's got the food part covered pretty well, so I'll go to something different! How about new clothes? I can't remember the last time we bought NEW clothes (other than dh, because for some reason it's difficult to find good used men's clothes- but he's a t shirt and jeans guy, so it's not too bad). But I buy all of the kids' clothes from once upon a child, and I buy maternity clothes from there, and my clothes from goodwill. I do usually buy new shoes though, because again, I have a hard time finding quality used shoes.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:52 PM

I have a thread this summer where I totally broke down about how a new pair of shorts and the first bathing suit I ever bought in my adult life (I'm 33) strained our budget.

Needless to say, my clothing budget is usually $0 per year. The only new clothes I get are Christmas gifts (WalMart clothes from mom and MIL). My hair care budget is $7.50 a year - that is, I get a $15 (including tip) haircut every OTHER year. (My last one was November 2009 so I'm good for another year).

But I can't complain too much because we get fresh organic produce from our CSA, and a $4.50 loaf of bread a week. And fresh Jersey butter. So it's all choices, I guess.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:34 PM

Seafood. We get trout locally for super cheap or free so I can't really justify buying fish or seafood at all.

Good coffee. We go through alot so we drink slightly cheaper stuff that's good but not great.

The rest of the time I don't buy is because I can make it home for better and cheaper or it's not something I'd buy at the store. Like tomatoes. Grocery store tomatoes are nasty so we go without most of the year until my tomatoes are ready. Same with meats. We're going without bacon at the moment because we ate all of what we've raised, so we'll wait until a new batch of pigs is ready.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
kosher meat. we go vegetarian most of the time because it is so expensive.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:49 PM

Avocados. We could easily eat 3 a day. They are small and expensive $1.50 a pop. Also we are spoiled and jaded because my CA in-laws have several amazing tasting avocado trees, so paying a lot for a poor product is hard to justify. I probably only splurge once or twice a month.

NY Steak. I think Costco sells a pretty good one, but it is $30 for 3 and they are huge, so we only need 2, which means one goes to waste. There is no way to freeze it and have it be edible. The consistency isnt pleasant so there is no splurging, which sucks because every once in a while a good steak would be nice.

Ice Cream. First off, $5 for a half gallon of a product with simple ingredients. Yikes. Then you have to eat the whole thing in one sitting because it gets freezer burn and DH won't go near it if has been altered. He is a consistency snob.

Now this is all my fault because I am disorganized and my kitchen is a mess. If I could get my act together, I could most likely come up with ways to make it all work, but as it is so much food goes to waste. Sigh, I need a life coach.

Non Food = Haircuts and clothes Basically everything to make me feel better about myself. In 11 years, I probably have bought $200 in clothes and had one haircut ($60). But yet I splurge on DH and DS big time!
Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 PM

Ricotta. I sub cottage cheese in my lasagnas.

Anything that comes in little tubs or boxes or individual packages. (Although this week I did by little yogurt tubs from Costco on sale. DD is over the moon excited.) I will buy the XXL applesauce and spoon it into little tupperwares for DD so she can feel the joy of little "Libby-size" packages.

Juice.

Most junk food. We almost always have nachos and dark chocolate somewhere, because those are staples

Things from the bakery that are not bread, pita, or tortilla wraps.

Spaghetti sauce from a jar.

Fish (mostly.)

Boneless skinless chicken breasts.

I do still buy crackers and expensive organic boxed cereal but I am a wizard at couponing/Costco/flyer-reading/10% Tuesday shopping so that we can have these. DH does not function without morning cereal and I think it costs almost as much plus takes time to make granola. Plus, there is no way I want to make breakfast after a night of teething baby. It's worth it.

As of last month's budget cuts, organic milk.

Luxuries that I cannot really afford but still buy: Organic fair trade coffee (hey, it's still cheaper than going to Starbucks), premium eggs, fresh parmesan cheese, feta.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
I thought I was the only one who did this!

This year I dehydrated and froze almost ten pounds of bell peppers though that I got from a local farmer and this will be the first winter that we'll have bell peppers in our stews.

We don't buy, but wish we could: avocados, locally roasted coffees (), fresh fruit except bananas for smoothies, organic greens (very sad because we love kale and we avoid it because it's on the dirty dozen), nice olive oil, olives, local raw cheeses, anything prepared that's convenient (like hummus, snacks, yogurt).

Things I'm on the fence about:
Pastured beef
Pastured chickens
Mushrooms

I do make sure we have room in our budget for:
Fish roe
Parmiaggiano Reggiano (though we make this stretch...)
Raw milk
Pastured eggs
Bones and organ meats from pastured animals
Spelt
A little bit of Kerrygold butter for spreading on toast (I cook with plain non-organic butter)
Coconut oil and coconut cream concentrate

I bake my own bread, make my own kefir, kombucha and yogurt and a lot of other things from scratch.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkmom View Post
Fage yogurt. I love it, but it costs $6.99 for a tub. I make a poor substitute by draining the water out of store brand at $1.99. I just can't justify paying the extra $5.

I would love to buy more organics, but the price is high and the selection poor here.

I do give myself the freedom to buy the good ice cream, we just have it much less often than I would like.
Fage is greek yogurt, right? You might check to see if you have a local greek food store-- Ours sells pita, feta cheese and yogurt at much lower prices than the store.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 09-02-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlmrs View Post
I thought I was the only one who did this!

This year I dehydrated and froze almost ten pounds of bell peppers though that I got from a local farmer and this will be the first winter that we'll have bell peppers in our stews.
I am simply shocked at how much bell peppers cost-- a dollar a pepper! We chop and freeze so we can use them on pizza's, Mexican food, rice, stir fry etc.

I tried growing my own, but each plant has such a small yield. How much did you get for your 10 lbs? I'm so jealous!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cutiekitties View Post
NY Steak. I think Costco sells a pretty good one, but it is $30 for 3 and they are huge, so we only need 2, which means one goes to waste. There is no way to freeze it and have it be edible. The consistency isnt pleasant so there is no splurging, which sucks because every once in a while a good steak would be nice.
The third steak is sometimes our treat for lunch in tacos the next day. We grill it with the 2, then reheat the meat in bacon grease (!) the next day. It's sooooo good.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I am simply shocked at how much bell peppers cost-- a dollar a pepper! We chop and freeze so we can use them on pizza's, Mexican food, rice, stir fry etc.

I tried growing my own, but each plant has such a small yield. How much did you get for your 10 lbs? I'm so jealous!
I paid $1.50/lb. I can't remember how many peppers there were, but I think around 30...
Old 09-03-2010, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yep. They are $2 a piece right now at the store and $1 a piece for TINY ones at the farmers market. Sigh.

I need a year round greenhouse just for bell peppers.

Resistance is futile Matey

User Tag List