Wireless phones??????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-03-2010, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Mamas! Our wireless phone contract is up and I want to find the best deal. I don't need tons of minutes, but would like to be able to text without an additional charge.
We have FIOS for internet and tv...
What about the prepaid phones- are they any good? TIA I am lost trying to figure this out- too many options
#2 of 10 Old 09-03-2010, 11:51 PM

Is it for emergency only?
#3 of 10 Old 09-04-2010, 01:23 PM

Strait Talk is a pre-paid cell phone that seems to have a really nice range of coverage. You can switch your number to it as well (if you done with your contract and it is released or if you have a pre-paid already and own the number). The options for service are 1000 texts/1000 minutes/and a certain amount of web time for 30 a month or unlimited all three for 45 a month.

Also they have the regular 30.00 phones or you can get a qwerty keyboard phone for 100 which I think is nice because often the pre-paid places don't have affordable options for those.

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12
#4 of 10 Old 09-04-2010, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I need it for emergencies. But I use it regularly, too. I never use all my minutes....tx
#5 of 10 Old 09-06-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

#6 of 10 Old 09-06-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga2roo View Post
Hey Mamas! Our wireless phone contract is up and I want to find the best deal. I don't need tons of minutes, but would like to be able to text without an additional charge.
We have FIOS for internet and tv...
What about the prepaid phones- are they any good? TIA I am lost trying to figure this out- too many options
I honestly don't know what the cheapest is, but fios should be able to bundle in your phone line with your net and tv. At the very least, it's one less bill to worry about. lol
#7 of 10 Old 09-06-2010, 06:19 PM

Straight Talk, or Virgin Mobile. If I did not have another 18 mos left on my contract I would soooo be going with one of the new no contract plans almost every provider has. The best deal to me seems to be with virgin mobile...unltd data, text, and 250 mins which is ALL i need for $20 a month...then $15 extra for the blackberry plan....$35 for a plan that I currently pay $86 for!!!

Single mom to 2 boys
#8 of 10 Old 09-07-2010, 12:54 PM

I just got a Straight Talk and I love it! $45/ month including taxes and unlimited talk, text and mobile web.
It is on the Tracfone coverage map which is great. I had a Tracfone for years and had service when no one else did, even on a 60 mile stretch of highway somewhere between the top of Maine and the Bay of Fundy that didn't even have exits or people.

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#9 of 10 Old 09-12-2010, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

I just got around to checking these all out and I am excited to try one of these plans. I love the idea of not being tied to a year or two contract! I'm even looking at one that is to pay only on days you actually USE the phone. Don't know if I can swing that but who knows- it would be a huge monthly savings. Seriously do I really need it?
Thanks everyone- you've been very helpful!
#10 of 10 Old 09-13-2010, 12:21 PM

We have Virgin mobile. DH loves it, he pays $20 dollars every 3 months and 10 cents a text. He doesn't talk much, only to his boss and I. I have unlimited nights and weekends, 400 anytime minutes and 5,00o texts for $40 a month, but I can change or modify the plan at anytime with no penalty. This is important to me because my needs fluctuate with family drama. I've only run over my minute once and it required a quick phone call to add more. The customer service for Virgin mobile is okay, but the chances of easily getting a like person is crappy. They use th voice recognition and it doesn't like my northeast accent.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page