Help me with my 'needs' and 'wants' list! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-07-2010, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking I need some sort of reality check to get this list in order.

Next year, we have quite a few things on our list that we would like to get for the house or for myself. For the house, a fence. For our room, new bedroom furniture and for myself, a new car.

The fence: we've lived in our house for almost a year and we're really in need of one. We have two dogs and two boys. The two dogs run in to the neighbors yards on occassion and deer keep trampling some of our flowers.

The bedroom furniture: We've been using DH's Great-Aunts' set for almost 7 years now. The bed is mine that I got for my bday almost 8 years ago and we're going to need a new mattress as well since a) it's been almost 8 years since we bought our current one and b) we're moving up to a King Size bed. Also, we were thinking of foregoing Christmas gifts to each other this year and put that money towards the new set.

The car: my car will be paid off in January and DH would like to get me an SUV. Something like a Maza CX-7 or a new Kia Sorrento - our budget is $20K to keep the payments to where they are now.

We'll have the money for the fence come February/March. We'll have part of the money for the bedroom set in a couple of months and then the rest after the first of the year.
The car, we'll have my trade in as a down payment and will have the taxes shortly thereafter.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? What would you put off for a while? And what would you find to be a 'need' more than a 'want'?

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#2 of 27 Old 09-07-2010, 03:11 PM

Well, I understand the beauty of having a good fence. Honestly, I'd put that at the top of my list.

I would LOVE to live debt free so paying of the car and having it be MINE and not the bank's sounds wonderful. I would hold off getting an SUV unless there is a size/safety issue with your car. If it works but just isn't what you WANT then I'd keep it for now since not having the payment will be wonderful.

not having the payment also means that payment can go towards the fence and bedroom furniture. However, for the furniture you can consider building your own. Check out knock-offwood.com. I've been following her for close to a year now and she has some great plans that help getting furniture cheaper because you buy the materials and build it yourself rather than paying the cost of labor for premade items.

so yeah, if I were in your position, the fence would come first and the car would come last assuming your car is perfectly functional and meets all your needs for space for children as well as safety (everything works how it is supposed to) Having no car debt will leave extra money to go to the first two. Once you get the first two, you can get a new car again.
#3 of 27 Old 09-07-2010, 03:22 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd say the fence and the mattress would be my priorities. We've been steadily replacing our matresses with nontoxic ones and I feel like my family is much safer.

The car comes last because although you can afford it, it doesn't sound like you actually need it, merely want it.
#4 of 27 Old 09-07-2010, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
IMO they all are 'wants'.
You can train both the kids an the dogs where the property line is. It takes work but the dogs can be trained and kids can be taught where to play and where not to go. Some garden netting over the plants will keep the animals off your plants.

You want new furniture, you dont need it. Yes it will make things nice to look at and maybe more comfortable but what you have works and is functional.

The car... you have one that works. A new car almost always brings a car payment, higher insuarnce, a SUV is going to eat gas like no tomorrow.. again with 2 kids you can fit into a regular car just fine.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 27 Old 09-07-2010, 07:23 PM

1. Fence = Need
2. Bigger Car = Want
3. Nicer Furniture = Want

#6 of 27 Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 PM

They all sound like wants to me too. Of all of them the fence is probably the closest to a need (pesky deer).

I can't for the life of me understand why you would want to get a new car right when you finally own the one you have! Do you hate your car, or are you just mildly tired of it? I find that the new car bug tends to be a regional/cultural thing...where I grew up in Michigan if you didn't get a new car every couple of years you were seen as seriously falling behind , but here in California its not uncommon to drive a car to 200K. I was when I finally paid my car off last October.

Its a tradition in my family to keep bedroom furnishings from the previous generation, so I can't help ya there. My bedroom set actually came from a friend of my Grandma's, my Mom is using the set my Grandma's mother bought new in like 1916.
#7 of 27 Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 PM

I think they are all wants. If you don't get any of them, there are no dire consequences.

A need would be either car repair or a new car if the car you have no longer runs, but not a new car because it would be nice. Honestly having no car payment is nicer than anything!

The fence would come to the top of my list as most important. If you were growing your own veggies to feed your family and the deer were destroying them, then it would be a need.

The furniture would be nice, but unless there is some serious reason why you can't sleep on the bed you have, or there was a safety issue with it, it isn't a need.
#8 of 27 Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You'll save yourself a heck of a lot of money if you put the money that would be a car payment into savings and replace your car with a newer but used SUV with that money when the car doesn't really work anymore. Then save up after that for longer, you could buy a brand new vehicle cash the next time. Just think keeping want would have gone to interest you'll have enough to upgrade vehicles every time you need a new one instead of just keeping up with loans. Or you can stick with moderate cars and put the money toward whatever else you want.

8 year old mattress? Yeah I'd prioritize that those wear out plus get yucky inside, it's a respiratory and a back health issue. Fence too when possible, that's an important quality of life thing with dogs and kids. Heirloom furniture sounds wonderful unless it's broken beyond repair, I'd keep it forever...well maybe if it was ugly I'd put it on my low priority "want" list for someday or I'd refinish or something.
#9 of 27 Old 09-07-2010, 09:01 PM

A couple questions:

1. What kind of car do you have now? 2 door or 4 door?
2. Are you in a safe neighborhood?

My car is 11 years old, runs well and is payed off. However, I don't have children. If I did have children my car would be a pain in the butt, as it's only 2 doors. I've had to transport children numerous times and it's so hard in that car.

We do not have a fence, and I have 2 dogs. It's amazing, but we really have been able to train them as to where the property lines are. And my neighbors have little kids, and they are always outside with them anyway. But I can understand just wanting to let your children run around in the backyard without watching them like a hawk, and that's not possible to do in an unsafe neighborhood.

Bedroom furniture is definitely a want, but look at Ikea. Our entire bedroom set is from there and was less than 1k.
#10 of 27 Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 PM

If it were me, I would get the fence and keep saving for the other two items. Technically a fence is a want, but I could also justify it as a need, specifically where safety is concerned.

Is your current car in good condition? Are you just trying to upgrade?
#11 of 27 Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 PM

I would say the fence qualifies as a definate need to keep the kids and animals safe inside your yard (training children and pets to stay within the property lines doesn't work in all situations...it depends on the individual children/pets). As for furniture, eh, not so much of a need (eight yrs doesn't seem that old to me at all. However, if it is due to needing the larger bed due to co-sleeping, then go for it, but take you time searching for a good deal). I would not do the car. Once your current car is paid off, I would suggest paying yourself that car payment into a "car fund" (savings, etc.) until you have enough saved up to pay for a new car in full (then repeat), thus breaking free from paying car loans.

Fence= Need, do ASAP

Furniture= Maybe, depending on situation. Not as urgent.

Car= Definate want.
#12 of 27 Old 09-07-2010, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post
If it were me, I would get the fence and keep saving for the other two items. Technically a fence is a want, but I could also justify it as a need, specifically where safety is concerned.

Is your current car in good condition? Are you just trying to upgrade?
Trying to upgrade and acquire more room in a car. My current car is a Toyota Camry - 4 door. It's been a great car and I'm sure it will continue to be a great car if we decide to wait. I'll have had the car for 5 years and yes, I am getting a little burnt out on it.
And we live in probably one of the best neighborhoods around. Very, very safe.

The bedroom furniture - I've been wanting a new set for quite some time but other things have come up to where this has been put on the back burner. No biggie - I guess it is more of a want than a need......

The fence - yes - definitely a need. While the dogs have been good about staying in our yard for the most part, there are times they wander and it makes us nervous. The kids - we're always outside when they are, so it's no big deal.

#13 of 27 Old 09-07-2010, 11:29 PM

Fence would be right at the top of my list. With your kids and dogs and wild animals coming into your yard it moved into a need category. Good fences also make good neighbors.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#14 of 27 Old 09-07-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
Trying to upgrade and acquire more room in a car. My current car is a Toyota Camry - 4 door. It's been a great car and I'm sure it will continue to be a great car if we decide to wait. I'll have had the car for 5 years and yes, I am getting a little burnt out on it.
My parents grew up in the Depression and I guess it's rubbed off on me.

I've got a nine year old car that I consider is just starting to get broken in. I'd call a five year old Camry a new car and wouldn't think about replacing it for another ten years.

I'd also consider an eight year old mattress to be fairly new.
#15 of 27 Old 09-08-2010, 01:16 PM

I have to agree - my 11 year old car that I spoke about above is a Toyota Camry Solara and it's still going strong. Toyota's are made to last (except for the milions that are involved in all of those recalls...lol)
#16 of 27 Old 09-08-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post

I've got a nine year old car that I consider is just starting to get broken in. I'd call a five year old Camry a new car and wouldn't think about replacing it for another ten years.

I was just thinking how much we'd love to have a 5-year-old Camry. And to think you've basically got one for free if you compare it with the option of buying another, newer car...!

4 kids under 10
#17 of 27 Old 09-08-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
And we live in probably one of the best neighborhoods around. Very, very safe.

The bedroom furniture - I've been wanting a new set for quite some time but other things have come up to where this has been put on the back burner. No biggie - I guess it is more of a want than a need......

The fence - yes - definitely a need. While the dogs have been good about staying in our yard for the most part, there are times they wander and it makes us nervous. The kids - we're always outside when they are, so it's no big deal.
With that said, I would prioritize like this:

1.) Fence - Get this now/as soon as you can. Getting something new (even a fence) always makes me feel perkier and excited. It may be enough "newness" to make you feel good about waiting on the other two things.

2.) Bedroom Furniture - I would keep this on my want list, maybe selling things I already have to make a new set possible. If that isn't an option, I would probably put it on my two-year plan.

3.) If the car isn't costing you money and is mostly just a boredom issue, why not spend a little bit of money getting it detailed, washed, and waxed? I would put a new car on my five-year plan.
#18 of 27 Old 09-08-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Me too. My car's 7 or 8 years old, and I call it a "shiny new car". DH's is 15, and it's still "new" in our minds since we have both owned cars that were much much older.

There's often some really nice furniture to be found on craigslist, or in thrift stores, but you might have to look for a while.
If upgrading the size of the bed is the main issue, why not get a new boxspring and mattress and just use that minimalist free metal frame they usually come with, at least for now? That way you could take your time finding a set you really like, and in the meantime, you'll still have the bigger bed you want.

The fence would be the highest on my list. As a matter of fact, a fence is very high on my list, I just can't afford it right now.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#19 of 27 Old 09-08-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking I need some sort of reality check to get this list in order.

Next year, we have quite a few things on our list that we would like to get for the house or for myself. For the house, a fence. For our room, new bedroom furniture and for myself, a new car.

The fence: we've lived in our house for almost a year and we're really in need of one. We have two dogs and two boys. The two dogs run in to the neighbors yards on occassion and deer keep trampling some of our flowers.

The bedroom furniture: We've been using DH's Great-Aunts' set for almost 7 years now. The bed is mine that I got for my bday almost 8 years ago and we're going to need a new mattress as well since a) it's been almost 8 years since we bought our current one and b) we're moving up to a King Size bed. Also, we were thinking of foregoing Christmas gifts to each other this year and put that money towards the new set.

The car: my car will be paid off in January and DH would like to get me an SUV. Something like a Maza CX-7 or a new Kia Sorrento - our budget is $20K to keep the payments to where they are now.

We'll have the money for the fence come February/March. We'll have part of the money for the bedroom set in a couple of months and then the rest after the first of the year.
The car, we'll have my trade in as a down payment and will have the taxes shortly thereafter.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? What would you put off for a while? And what would you find to be a 'need' more than a 'want'?
well, I'll have to agree with pp's-- none are really needs, but I would probably do fence. I'm not sure about the furniture, and I would definitely forgo the car.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#20 of 27 Old 09-08-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:

*blush* My camry is 5 years old, and I still refer to it as the new one. Although OP, if you are thinking of selling, let me know!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#21 of 27 Old 09-08-2010, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
*blush* My camry is 5 years old, and I still refer to it as the new one. Although OP, if you are thinking of selling, let me know!
I'll PM ya.

#22 of 27 Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 PM
mtm

Fence would get top priority to me. Rest would depend on the state of your finances. If I had 3-6 months expenses in the bank and was funding retirement etc I would buy the mattress too. For the car/suv, I'd take the car payment, put it in the bank as a car replacement fund and then buy the next one outright.
#23 of 27 Old 09-09-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I may want to hold on to my car for another year. There is nothing mechanically wrong with it - just got the 'new car' bug, I guess.

Fence - yes - a TOTAL must. Bed - possibly. We'll shop around and see what we find.

#24 of 27 Old 09-10-2010, 07:32 PM

I too would put the car as a want and delay that until it's a really do need for safety! having no car payment and a cheap tank to fill is a god send!

I would invest in the fence as to me thats quite important with animals and children in the family.

Bedroom furniture is also a want to me, but you could view it as an investment to be passed on to your child(ren).
#25 of 27 Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#26 of 27 Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 PM

My "new" car is anything less than 10 years old....

I think a king size bed is a need if you cosleep- at least it is for us. The fence would be mostly a need as well- though we have dogs/kids etc and no fence. It would be a lot easier with one though- and if our dog wasn't good about being tied it would be a need. I don't allow unrestrained animals- tragically losing a dog as a teenager taught me the hard way that even a very well trained dog can fall victim to a road. Our lab has both a fenced pen and a very long rope attached to the front porch where she plays when we are outside.
#27 of 27 Old 09-11-2010, 01:08 AM

The only thing that's really a need is the fence, IMHO. I also struggle with wants vs. needs, so I totally get where you're coming from.
As far as the car, I would go awhile without a payment and see how that feels and save some money. I mean, without the payment, that might just pay for the fence and the new furniture.
Also wanted to point out that with an SUV comes higher insurance, less gas mileage, and more expensive tires.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page