September 2010 Low-Income Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 112 Old 09-16-2010, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got off the phone with the State of Kentucky.

They said they sent a final notice certified mail to my last known address. But it didn't forward to my new address. Apparently that notice explained levies, garnishments, etc. They said after they send that letter since I owe a state institution they have jurisdiction and don't have to take me to court.

BUT, they said I can pay $53/month until it's done. so I will make a payment in Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan and then pay the rest with taxes... Now, I just gotta find the extra 53 lol

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#62 of 112 Old 09-16-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrogate View Post
They cannot ever take any percent of money from a person not owing or from SSI payments, so if you bank acct is shared with a DP/DH/DW then you can prove their money is in there too (paychecks) and they cant touch that part
I did not know that. I thought if it was in a joint account, fair game, ALL of the money in the account is DH's because I don't work.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#63 of 112 Old 09-16-2010, 11:49 AM

you need to head to creditboards ASAP, post what you posted here and they can help you...post in the credit forum

Single mom to 2 boys
#64 of 112 Old 09-19-2010, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I know a while back we were talking about selling books online to cash4books - I stumbled across a site last night that is better yet. http://bookscouter.com/ lets you check your isbn at 40+ different buyback sites to pick which is paying more.

I had a load ready to go for cash4books, ran the isbns and my $28 shipment turned into a $60 shipment to another company.

Just thought I'd share - this is how I'm making ends meet and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#65 of 112 Old 09-19-2010, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Ok from what I know (I did credit repair for 7 years) they can't attach assets unless it goes through court. Did they try to sue you and you not show up? If so they likely got a default judgement and then just attached your bank acct, the judge signed and VIOLA they take your money. Depending on the state, they CAN take every penny you have, and keep taking any money you put in there until the debt is satisfied. Some states have laws saying how much they can take (%) of income. They cannot ever take any percent of money from a person not owing or from SSI payments, so if you bank acct is shared with a DP/DH/DW then you can prove their money is in there too (paychecks) and they cant touch that part
In our case they did take every cent in our account-this was after dh had gone to court and they decided upon a payment plan. After a few months of making payments the company seized our joint bank account. We received a letter afterwards saying we could petition for a percentage or our money back-money that was earned by me and they were supposed to leave a certain percentage in for each dependent child. We sent the paperwork in. Hear nothing. Called them almost daily. Never got anyone to answer the phone or return our calls when we left a message. That money is gone and we haven't seen a penny of it back. This happened 3 years ago.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#66 of 112 Old 09-19-2010, 12:45 PM

I am going to join here. Right now, I am married but probably won't be for much longer. I am most likely going to file for separation once I get my duck in a row. I don't need to leave immediately and feel like I need to have a plan for my ASD son so that the disruption to him is minimized. I have also not worked in a number of years and I hope to find a job soon. Anyone have any advice for a separation? I've never been through one and dont know how it will affect our already low income.

Why does it seem like I have to sacrifice my dignity to be on WIC? I do not even mean the people at the grocery store. Most of them are OK, though some are crappy and I try to avoid those cashiers. I mean the people at the WIC office! The people at the office in my county are really crappy and have an attitude. Believe me, I'd rather not be on the program, but I need to be at this point. I'm sure there are a lot more people on programs like WIC than in the past so why are the people in the office I have to go to so crappy? I wish I could go to a different office, but I can't.
#67 of 112 Old 09-19-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
I know a while back we were talking about selling books online to cash4books - I stumbled across a site last night that is better yet. http://bookscouter.com/ lets you check your isbn at 40+ different buyback sites to pick which is paying more.

I had a load ready to go for cash4books, ran the isbns and my $28 shipment turned into a $60 shipment to another company.

Just thought I'd share - this is how I'm making ends meet and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
This is a great resource. Thanks for sharing it!
#68 of 112 Old 09-19-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Mama! View Post
In our case they did take every cent in our account-this was after dh had gone to court and they decided upon a payment plan. After a few months of making payments the company seized our joint bank account. We received a letter afterwards saying we could petition for a percentage or our money back-money that was earned by me and they were supposed to leave a certain percentage in for each dependent child. We sent the paperwork in. Hear nothing. Called them almost daily. Never got anyone to answer the phone or return our calls when we left a message. That money is gone and we haven't seen a penny of it back. This happened 3 years ago.
The problem is probably that you are calling the company that took your money. You need to start contacting outside agencies, the attorney general to start with. Who took the money? Rule of thumb in a court case is NEVER keep assets in an account in the persons name (your DH). If the account was just in your name (and you werent listed on the case) they couldn't have went for it. Did your husband tell them about the account? Did he set up payments directly from the account? Those are all big "no no's" I know it doesn't help you now, but it may in the future or it may help someone else. I am guessing you were sued by a collection agency. They are scum suckers, I bet you never owed them a dime anyway. Most of them operate illegally (don't have correct validation of debt, operate outside the statute of limitations)

I am just guessing since you didn't say though

for future reference, creditboards credit forum is A-1 for credit issues...taught me everything I know.

Single mom to 2 boys
#69 of 112 Old 09-19-2010, 07:39 PM

So where do ya'll find books to sell? All mine got thrown out I had hundreds my sister was storing for me when I moved and her husband gave them all to goodwill ugh

Single mom to 2 boys
#70 of 112 Old 09-19-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
The problem is probably that you are calling the company that took your money. You need to start contacting outside agencies, the attorney general to start with. Who took the money? Rule of thumb in a court case is NEVER keep assets in an account in the persons name (your DH). If the account was just in your name (and you werent listed on the case) they couldn't have went for it. Did your husband tell them about the account? Did he set up payments directly from the account? Those are all big "no no's" I know it doesn't help you now, but it may in the future or it may help someone else. I am guessing you were sued by a collection agency. They are scum suckers, I bet you never owed them a dime anyway. Most of them operate illegally (don't have correct validation of debt, operate outside the statute of limitations)

I am just guessing since you didn't say though

for future reference, creditboards credit forum is A-1 for credit issues...taught me everything I know.

No he did not give them any account information. He was paying them with money orders specifically so they could not touch our bank account. They contacted his old work place and they gave them our account information! He would not tell the company his currrent place of employment so somehow they weaseled the information out of the old company. And, the kicker is they have tried to draw out money from that account 2-3 times since then. It is still open, it just never has any money in it. We operate out of a bank accoun in my name only. I don't even know who held the original debt or how much it was for, but the judgment was for over $4,000.

#71 of 112 Old 09-20-2010, 03:12 AM

#72 of 112 Old 09-20-2010, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
So where do ya'll find books to sell? All mine got thrown out I had hundreds my sister was storing for me when I moved and her husband gave them all to goodwill ugh
I have tons on my bookshelf and in boxes... about 1x a week I run some thru cashforbooks.net Its the only company I trust. Many others have so much negative feedback and I've never had a problem with them! I usually get a couple hits to send off and the following week I have a check in the mailbox. We have way too many books around here and Half Price Books pays cr@p.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#73 of 112 Old 09-20-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
No he did not give them any account information. He was paying them with money orders specifically so they could not touch our bank account. They contacted his old work place and they gave them our account information! He would not tell the company his currrent place of employment so somehow they weaseled the information out of the old company. And, the kicker is they have tried to draw out money from that account 2-3 times since then. It is still open, it just never has any money in it. We operate out of a bank accoun in my name only. I don't even know who held the original debt or how much it was for, but the judgment was for over $4,000.
OMG is that illegal? (His former employer giving the acct info)

Wow, yeah, sadly I have heard this story before.

If your husband HAD to have a bank acct in his name before the 10 years is up, tell him that he needs to make sure to use an out of state bank it is harder for them to find that. In state, in his name is easy to find. The fact that the CA contacted an employer to get the info though is a red flag to me...gosh I feel so angry for you, more and more I am going, I bet they had no proof of debt and just scared yall into payments...if you would have pushed validation they would have folded (I am guessing) do you remember who it was? If so can you PM me? I am so angry for you...THIS is why everyone needs to make sure to NEVER EVER speak to a collection agency, if you get anything from one, IMMEDIATELY do a debt validation (go to credit boards credit forum and do your research) I have NEVER seen a proper validation in 10 years....How much money did they take from you? Have you heard from them since?

Single mom to 2 boys
#74 of 112 Old 09-20-2010, 05:53 PM

I don't know where the original debt came from, a credit card from his college days. We have learned our lesson from this experience and do ask for validation of debt now. They took around $800 and besides them trying to take more money periodically, no, we have not heard from them. Dh has a prepaid money card now. A lawyer told my mom they can't trace those or something like that.

#75 of 112 Old 09-20-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I don't know where the original debt came from, a credit card from his college days. We have learned our lesson from this experience and do ask for validation of debt now. They took around $800 and besides them trying to take more money periodically, no, we have not heard from them. Dh has a prepaid money card now. A lawyer told my mom they can't trace those or something like that.
Those cards are traceable, however for the purposes of garnishment/levy's they cannot be taken.

Single mom to 2 boys
#76 of 112 Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
HI I'm just checking in... Last week I had 4 days of work, This week (well its Monday) I'm working so far... Friday I cant work because we are going up north for the weekend - free for me as we are tagging along and DS is soooo excited!!!.
We are going to see the Flagstaff observatory, and a couple other things Riordan Mansion and Arboretum. I will be so happy to get out of this 100+ degree heat for a couple days too.
I hope the substitute teaching keep being plentiful for me...*I really need the money and have been accepting almost every job that I see posted*(only passing on P.E and band usually)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#77 of 112 Old 09-21-2010, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Things have been horrible here. Had no food for a week just enough to feed the kids,working non stop to get gas and some food each day, finally a friend brought over her whole pantry of food because shes moving and won't need it. Thank goodness for her because I was STARVING. The food bank closes at 1pm and husband doesn't get off til 4pm so that was a no go and no gas to get to any other one.

That's all over now and yesterday we got signed up for a mini mester at our school which is just classes for 2 months online so everything is pushed fast. Hopefully I can keep up. Can't wait for the Financial Aid check to come in next week so we can stock the cabinets and get everything new winter clothes and shoes.

Hope you girls are going ok!

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#78 of 112 Old 09-21-2010, 01:27 PM

oh my gosh averysmomma that is awful!!! Glad things are looking up though.

Had an interview today to fill my last open spot for daycare and it went super well. I wont count my chickens but I think she will enroll yay!

Single mom to 2 boys
#79 of 112 Old 09-21-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

how much profit do u guys usually actually make? Doesn't it cost a lot to ship the books?

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#80 of 112 Old 09-22-2010, 03:24 PM

Well, ladies, I got incredible news today. DH just got a new job today. He starts Sunday and we didn't get a definite pay/hr yet but a range (he will know for sure Sunday), but regardless it is enough to pay all of our monthly bills in less than two weeks of work. Needless to say, no more foodstamps but with my KrazyCouponLady book, I think I can work something out. Looks like we will be on the Dave Ramsey fast track here soon and I can actually start giving back. It will take us a couple weeks to catch up since we are behind, but after that we are paying the school debt and lien on my car completely off and then starting our savings and debt.

One question I have is is there such a thing as Transitional Medicaid? Or do they just kick you off as soon as you make too much even if there is a probationary period for your job's insurance?

#81 of 112 Old 09-22-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirliknew View Post
Well, ladies, I got incredible news today. DH just got a new job today. He starts Sunday and we didn't get a definite pay/hr yet but a range (he will know for sure Sunday), but regardless it is enough to pay all of our monthly bills in less than two weeks of work.
That is wonderful news!!! Congrats! How wonderful to not have so much of the money stress anymore!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#82 of 112 Old 09-22-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
That is wonderful news!!! Congrats! How wonderful to not have so much of the money stress anymore!
Thanks! I am so excited. My sister just finished reading "The Power" and it was all about positive thoughts = positive outcome. So I've really been trying to stay positive (which is hard with a grumpy DH lol) and I feel like it's finally starting to pay off.

I can't wait to start blessing people like we have been blessed lately!

#83 of 112 Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I am so excited. My sister just finished reading "The Power" and it was all about positive thoughts = positive outcome. So I've really been trying to stay positive (which is hard with a grumpy DH lol) and I feel like it's finally starting to pay off.

I can't wait to start blessing people like we have been blessed lately!
Congrats from me too!

---

in my news... We had to put tires on our car and that set us back a months worth of rent from our savings

So.. I did something I REALLY did not want to have to do, and I took out a student loan. I'm a little annoyed by it, but it's nice to have a little bit of breathing room (and be able to pay our rent this holiday season).

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#84 of 112 Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Well, ladies, I got incredible news today. DH just got a new job today. He starts Sunday and we didn't get a definite pay/hr yet but a range (he will know for sure Sunday), but regardless it is enough to pay all of our monthly bills in less than two weeks of work. Needless to say, no more foodstamps but with my KrazyCouponLady book, I think I can work something out. Looks like we will be on the Dave Ramsey fast track here soon and I can actually start giving back. It will take us a couple weeks to catch up since we are behind, but after that we are paying the school debt and lien on my car completely off and then starting our savings and debt.

One question I have is is there such a thing as Transitional Medicaid? Or do they just kick you off as soon as you make too much even if there is a probationary period for your job's insurance?
Yay- congrats! it's an amazing feeling. We are in a similar situation- and it is SO nice to be able to breathe a bit financially after so much struggle.
#85 of 112 Old 09-22-2010, 07:12 PM

Late chiming in this month. I have been super busy with the new baby and trying to keep things running smoothly around the home. I decided that I will be retiring from doula work and could sell my books and get most of my money invested back. The kids ALL need new shoes, the older girls wanted hair cuts, electric bills have been through the roof with the record breaking heat this summer...you get the drift. I also sold my deluxe Excalliber dehydrator and mongo All American canner. We are so poor that it is not necessarily frugal for us to use those things...not to mention that I can't even use the damn canner on my crappy 1950's era electric stove...and meanwhile I have bills and expenses that need taken care of now. So I have been struggling with feeling joy at having some money to take care of things long overdue yet sad that parts of things are having to go. Clear as mud? I hope I don't kick myself for it later but I am about 90% sure that this is the right thing to do for our situation, considering. Now to catch up on all the previous pages...

Mama to my tribe
#86 of 112 Old 09-22-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitful4Him View Post
Late chiming in this month. I have been super busy with the new baby and trying to keep things running smoothly around the home. I decided that I will be retiring from doula work and could sell my books and get most of my money invested back. The kids ALL need new shoes, the older girls wanted hair cuts, electric bills have been through the roof with the record breaking heat this summer...you get the drift. I also sold my deluxe Excalliber dehydrator and mongo All American canner. We are so poor that it is not necessarily frugal for us to use those things...not to mention that I can't even use the damn canner on my crappy 1950's era electric stove...and meanwhile I have bills and expenses that need taken care of now. So I have been struggling with feeling joy at having some money to take care of things long overdue yet sad that parts of things are having to go. Clear as mud? I hope I don't kick myself for it later but I am about 90% sure that this is the right thing to do for our situation, considering. Now to catch up on all the previous pages...
Who did you do your doula training with? I'm considering going into it...

#87 of 112 Old 09-22-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Who did you do your doula training with? I'm considering going into it...
I trained with DONA over 10 years ago. If you are considering going into birth work I would highly suggest 'counting the cost'...and not just finances. IMO it is one of those things that will take all it can from you and seep into many other areas of your life. It isn't easy on the marriage or on mothering...which is ironic since as birth workers we strive to support healthy marriages and starts to mothering...

Mama to my tribe
#88 of 112 Old 09-23-2010, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I started my semester of classes yesterday and it is already kicking me ass. No idea how I will make it through this alive lol. Today is bill day and GROCERY DAY! the most wonderfulness day of the year!

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#89 of 112 Old 09-23-2010, 10:49 AM

Re: transitional medicaid. often, once you earn more than medicaid allows, your kids will qualify for a CHIP program. you can earn up to 20,000 a year more than the medicaid guidelines in my state. premiums and co-pays are small. and for adults, if you don't have insurance and have a traumatic medical event or unusual medical expense, you can apply for what's called a medicaid spend-down card, to cover that unusual expense. hth.
#90 of 112 Old 09-23-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocativa View Post
Re: transitional medicaid. often, once you earn more than medicaid allows, your kids will qualify for a CHIP program. you can earn up to 20,000 a year more than the medicaid guidelines in my state. premiums and co-pays are small. and for adults, if you don't have insurance and have a traumatic medical event or unusual medical expense, you can apply for what's called a medicaid spend-down card, to cover that unusual expense. hth.
Good to know. I've been calling my case worker for about a week now, but you know how that goes...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page