September 2010 Low-Income Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 112 Old 09-23-2010, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to get my sons script filled sunday and guess what? He has no medicaid! The pharmacist said it expired in May. I have NEVER let their stuff lapse, matter of fact I always mail it in the DAY i get the forms. Then I start thinking and remember i kept getting all these cancellation notices and kept calling my caseworker and she would tell me it was fine she just entered it late...turns out she let my kids medicaid lapse and never fixed it!! I called her monday, and she had the balls to yell at ME! She told me I needed to call and change my address with the change center and i told her I already did months ago. I guess she was pissed they havent transferred my case yet...i asked her if i could pick up his script now and she said 5-7 days!!! Then she hung up on me. wth!

i called wm yesterday hoping it was fixed....nope. ugh

Single mom to 2 boys
#92 of 112 Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrogate View Post
I went to get my sons script filled sunday and guess what? He has no medicaid! The pharmacist said it expired in May. I have NEVER let their stuff lapse, matter of fact I always mail it in the DAY i get the forms. Then I start thinking and remember i kept getting all these cancellation notices and kept calling my caseworker and she would tell me it was fine she just entered it late...turns out she let my kids medicaid lapse and never fixed it!! I called her monday, and she had the balls to yell at ME! She told me I needed to call and change my address with the change center and i told her I already did months ago. I guess she was pissed they havent transferred my case yet...i asked her if i could pick up his script now and she said 5-7 days!!! Then she hung up on me. wth!

This happened to me also. I got the reapply form in the mail but it was due the same/next day and we live like 4 towns over from the SS office. It ended up lapsing and now I have to go back and redo all the stupid forms. I really need to get on that speaking of which.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#93 of 112 Old 09-23-2010, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrogate View Post

I'd call the supervisor or even the state ombudsman and make a complaint about this. There is no excuse for now doing their work - that's what they are paid to do. She lied to you and put your child in medical risk - what would have happened had there been an emergency and the hospital wouldn't provide treatment since the medicaid hadn't been processed?

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#94 of 112 Old 09-23-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
I'd call the supervisor or even the state ombudsman and make a complaint about this. There is no excuse for now doing their work - that's what they are paid to do. She lied to you and put your child in medical risk - what would have happened had there been an emergency and the hospital wouldn't provide treatment since the medicaid hadn't been processed?
- I agree with this.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#95 of 112 Old 09-24-2010, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I agree a call is in order. Can you call your doctor or someone else and see if you can get samples to tide you over? Even if they make you have an appointment medicaid will backpay. Or you could call your local ER and see if they can help. Hospitals usually have their own pharmacies and if you cannot pay for your medication they will also paycharge medicaid.

Hubby gets his student loan money and grant refund tomorrow! Now we can get a running vehicle. And we can go to our ultrasound appointment tomorrow!
#96 of 112 Old 09-24-2010, 08:41 AM

It is for miralax so I doubt they have samples...walmart has a generic I may have to get to tide me over. The RX jar lasts about 6 mos the way we use it.

I am gonna call today and see if it is fixed yet. If it isnt fixed by wed I am gonna call my casworker back. Maybe she was just having a bad day, every other time I have called she was super nice...we'll see though. I am not afraid to talk to a supervisor...esp since I went 4 months with no insurance for my kids because of HER mistake...ugh

Single mom to 2 boys
#97 of 112 Old 09-25-2010, 10:18 PM

Had a baby yesterday! My birth story is on the Unassisted Chilbirth board if you're interested in reading it. I called my DHS worker yesterday and she put her in the system the same day. Said our FS will go up starting with October. I LOVE that woman! And thanks to my placenta encapsulation I'm not even crying about how much I love her, lol.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#98 of 112 Old 09-25-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post
Had a baby yesterday! My birth story is on the Unassisted Chilbirth board if you're interested in reading it. I called my DHS worker yesterday and she put her in the system the same day. Said our FS will go up starting with October. I LOVE that woman! And thanks to my placenta encapsulation I'm not even crying about how much I love her, lol.
Congrats! Enjoy your baby moon! Yay for good FSworkers and placenta encapsulation. I wish I could have had my placenta done.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#99 of 112 Old 09-26-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
CONGRATS!!!!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#100 of 112 Old 09-26-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
congrats on the baby! i was impressed...within a week of having dc3 i had a letter telling me my FS was going up $100. it probably had something to do with the fact that i am on state health insurance as well though.

i've had a hard month this month. FS workers completely screwed my reapplication up and put me down as having 2x as much income as i do since they put down that a LOAN was income (ongoing). it's taken 20 days to get fixed. huge mess and i was LIVID and worried for the entire month. of COURSE the month before i had actually used ALL of our FS (which has never happened) so I was SOL. finally got FS back...at $80 less per month which is ok since its a large amount but the extra woulda been nice since now i have to restock EVERYTHING.

car has broken down more. needs a new alternator. i had just had $1k worth of work put into it so i thought i was in the clear but NOPE...grrr.
#101 of 112 Old 09-26-2010, 06:11 PM

i feel you crazyeight, i tried to get my ods RX filled again yesterday...still no medicaid *sigh* giving it til wed then i am calling again and speaking to her supervisor. This is crap.

Single mom to 2 boys
#102 of 112 Old 09-27-2010, 10:24 PM

How does TANF work? Do both my hubby and I have to look for work or just him to get benefits?

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#103 of 112 Old 09-27-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewellz View Post
How does TANF work? Do both my hubby and I have to look for work or just him to get benefits?
Food stamps is based on your income and family size. They have never asked if anyone was looking for work.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#104 of 112 Old 09-27-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Kentucky TANF Progam Overview
TANF was created to help families in need. The TANF bureau works with families to help them become self sufficient.
TANF's program features include:
1. Assisting needy families so that children can be cared for in their own homes.
2. Preventative measures for out of wedlock pregnancy.
3. The encouragement of two parent families.
4. Reduction of the dependency of needy parents by assisting with job preparation.

There is a maximum of 60 months of TANF benefits within one's lifetimes.
Children under age 5 must be current with childhood immunizations and children age 6 to 18 must attend school and parents or caretakers must participate in school conferences.
Countable assets must be $2,000 or less and licensed vehicles needed for individuals subject to the work requirement may not exceed $8,500.
Work requirements: Adults in families receiving cash assistance must work or participate in work related activities for a specified number of hours per week depending on the number of work-eligible adults in the family and the age of children.
Single parents with a child under age 6
20 hours weekly in core work activities.

Other single parent families or two-parent families where one parent is disabled 30 hours weekly with at least 20 hours in core activities.

Married teen or teen head of household under age 20.
Maintains satisfactory attendance at secondary school or the equivalent or participates in education related to employment for at least 20 hours weekly.

Two-parent families who do not receive subsidized child care 35 hours per week (total among both parents) with at least 30 hours in core activities.

Two-parent families who receive subsidized child care 55 hours per week with at least 50 hours in core activities

Work Activities:
1. Unsubsidized employment
2. Subsidized private sector employment
3. Subsidized public sector employment
4. Job search and job readiness (limited to not more than 6 weeks in a federal fiscal year with not more than 4 weeks consecutive).
5. Community service
6. Work experience
7. On-the-job training
8. Vocational educational training (limited to 12 months for an individual), and
9. Caring for a child of a recipient in community service
10. Job skills training directly related to employment
11. Education directly related to employment (for those without a high school or equivalent degree)
12. Completion of a secondary school program
http://www.tanf.us/kentucky.html
These are the rules in my state. I had TANF for about 8 months (6 of which I was under 18 and not required to work.) As soon as I turned 18 and didn't have a job, I had to take job-readiness classes AND as a word of advice I was not allowed to take ANY jobs that I receieved in those 4 weeks or else I would be sanctioned. And at the time it was a two-individual household and we only received $225/mo. But they did disregard income for two months and they supply uniforms or whatever else you may need for your job, plus car repairs up to $500. Once my two months were up I could get a small ($100) subsidy for a couple months for "travel expenses" to my job.

treehugger.gif Mom to jammin.gifDS7 and Peace.gifDD4.  Full time Social Work studentgeek.gif.
#105 of 112 Old 09-28-2010, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
If you are doing the cash assistance my understanding is all adults need to be enrolled in the job training program. im sure there are some ways around that but both adults need to be doing something (or paperwork/waivers)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#106 of 112 Old 09-28-2010, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
So far this week I have work scheduled for THREE days... That is just totally awesome Tuesday, Thursday and Friday... all for Jr high classes... If im lucky I will get Weds too, if not thats ok...(but I really hope for something on weds)....

OTOH ds has been having major attitude lately and I DONT LIKE IT... lol

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#107 of 112 Old 09-29-2010, 01:17 PM

Blah! I haven't posted in a bit but I'm so stressed. We are STILL waiting on dh's student loan money. Money that I desperately need to catch up on bills. We have NEVER had to wait this long. They started dispersing the 13th...according to his disclosure statemnt, they've have his money since the 21st and we are STILL WAITING. It's making me sick I'm so stressed out. On top of that, my washer is going out, and obviousy I can't get it repaired or even consider buying a new (cheap) one without student loan money. Oh, and the debt management company we've been using for the past two years has decided to not pay anyone for the last 3 months (yet keep taking money from us every month!) so now we've got all these collection notices and seriously past due accounts. They keep giving us the run around, I had to pay $23 dollars to put a hold on them taking any more money from us.

At least we did get some money from the class action against dh's former employer, so I was able to finish buying what we need for the baby (who's due in 10 days!)

Prayers or good thoughts or whatever for this damn money to show up eventually are appreciated!
#108 of 112 Old 09-29-2010, 03:00 PM

Does he have some type of hold on his account preventing them from releasing his excess aid? I had that happen the first semester I went back to school, and it was over an address verification. They do it every semester at our school. Also, we have to request our refund online every semester as well.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#109 of 112 Old 09-29-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Mama! View Post
Does he have some type of hold on his account preventing them from releasing his excess aid? I had that happen the first semester I went back to school, and it was over an address verification. They do it every semester at our school. Also, we have to request our refund online every semester as well.
Nope. He's called twice and everything is in order. They're just taking forever. he's not the only one waiting, the local paper even had a blurb about how much longer it was taking and how many people were still waiting. Blah.
#110 of 112 Old 09-29-2010, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We're having a yard sale Friday and Saturday - need to make enough to buy a bus pass for October and pay for DD's Girl Scout Dues and my leader fees.

Still haven't fixed the roof yet - can't find a roofer willing to just do a patch. Everyone wants to just replace the entire roof - to the tune of around $8k which we don't have. If we could sell our car - maybe then.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#111 of 112 Old 09-29-2010, 08:57 PM

still no insurance....I called today and left VM with both the caseworker AND the supervisor...i am beyond angry at this point...ugh

Single mom to 2 boys
#112 of 112 Old 09-30-2010, 10:53 AM

wooohoo

just spoke to my casworker and she said their ins is active! She was VERY nice today too...i think she may have just been having a bad day last mon

Single mom to 2 boys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page