Cell phones cheap?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-15-2010, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me and my dh have cell through work and we have no home phone because we live in a rural telephone coop and the cheapest line with nothing is over$80/month. We have 2 children that are getting at that age lots of sports and meetings all at different places. Plus they are always giving out my work # to their friends and therefore running up the minutes

Does anyone have any suggestions with different types? I dont have the best credit but Im ok to pay a deposit too soo .....

Thanks

Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-15-2010, 10:33 AM

Will they get much use or are they more for backup? I gave my company-paid phone up when I resigned my job recently, and wanted to go without, but my husband really wanted me to have one just in case. I ended up going with an AT&T pay-as-you-go, buying the cheapest phone they had (I think it was $29). It's $1 a day for the first call you make, plus $0.10 per minute. I put $25 on it when I bought it, and they threw in an additional $30 in minutes. They require that you add a minimum of $15 every three months. The money that's left over at the end of the three months "rolls over" when you recharge. This has worked well for me, because I don't use it most days. It probably wouldn't be economical if you anticipate every-day use, though.
#3 of 9 Old 09-15-2010, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

I think it will get used a lot in spurts. They are young but lots of sports ans friends
#4 of 9 Old 09-15-2010, 06:43 PM

Do you have Cricket in your area? http://www.mycricket.com/?CMP=KNC-Go...FUf75wodWRDMHQ We don't have it but a lot of my kids' friends have it as a home phone and are really happy with it. The phones are pricy but it's an all inclusive plan so can be pretty cheap.
#5 of 9 Old 09-15-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

I like the looks of their plans but they arent in my area
#6 of 9 Old 09-15-2010, 08:49 PM

look at straight talk and virgin mobile they both have a good amt of minutes plus unlimited text and data for 20-45 a month. When i get out of my contract I am switching to virgin mobile...i will NEVER sign a cell contract again! There are too many good prepaid options out there now!

Single mom to 2 boys
#7 of 9 Old 09-16-2010, 01:57 AM

I have the $25/mo plan with Virgin Mobile. I get 300 min and unlimited texting. It offers free email and web, though I've never used that. They don't have coverage like AT&T but I haven't had issues in my area.
#8 of 9 Old 09-16-2010, 01:58 AM

The cheapest for me was T-mobile To Go. I bought a $40 phone and paid $100 for 1000 minutes that last a year. I don't use the 1000 minutes in a year but have to add about $50 per year. You have to add something every year to keep it active. So I've spent about $200 over 2.8 years at this point. I'll need to add again soon. Of course, I obviously don't talk much. But I think its still worth checking out because it does seem to just be about 10 cents a minute and no contract. I tried to stay away from plans that charged me a flat rate for every day it was used.
#9 of 9 Old 09-16-2010, 02:08 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
do you have alltel in your area? they are on the cheaper side.

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page