What's Your Luxury? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 09-18-2010, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Honestly, after reading this thread, most of the things in my life are luxuries. Kind of puts it into perspective for me .

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 60 Old 09-18-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmomof2 View Post
Nice bedding - high thread count sheets. And I think my DH is now spoiled in this way, too. In an attempt to spend less, I bought some sheets from Ikea last month. They were boycotted by my DH, who said they were "like sleeping on bark."
Yes, Yes, Yes! You can never go back! I esp love Restoration Hardware and am so ticked that I didn't stock up when they had their sale. I was trying to be good, turns out we actually needed sheets, so now I have to wait for their next sale which is next year, I think, because I simply refuse to pay the extra $200 or whatever it is for full price. Sigh.

Organic mattress. We are getting ready to lay down $$$$$ for a mattress and I am so freaked about it. Even calculating it by the 20 year guarantee isn't helping me. But we need it, our old one is 16 years old and it literally has an a$$ groove.

Down pillows which, of course, are expensive.

yes, we love our bed in this house. We lay in it and watch our really big tv
#33 of 60 Old 09-18-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn_M View Post
Honestly, after reading this thread, most of the things in my life are luxuries. Kind of puts it into perspective for me .
Possibly, but maybe not. I think it comes down to priorities. There are things others have said were luxuries but for us they are not - they are priorities. Our food is a big one for us; for others buying organic, whole, unprocessed, etc. is a luxury. But, for us, it's a health issue - being GF, DF (dairy), and Feingold, plus avoiding as much soy as possible, there is very little at conventional supermarkets that works for us. We also feel strongly about organics, so we prioritize those in our budget.

The same goes with organic mattresses - some would consider them luxuries, but we have chemically sensitive people here (basically all five of us, and I'm going to guess the new baby will be too). Chemically treated mattresses are not a real option, health-wise, so again, having latex/wool/cotton mattresses are not a luxury, if that makes sense.

Given that, I think our luxuries are cable TV/high speed internet/Netflix. We did negotiate a much lower price on our cable/internet/phone package this summer - we are saving $50 a month for the next two years. We kept the same channels and speed of internet, and decided that we'd use the savings to "splurge" for the cheapest Netflix package. But, all of it is a luxury that we don't need, but pay for anyway.

I guess I could also make the argument that baseball for the older two boys (ds#3 is too young by our own family rules for organized sports though he's "T-ball age") is a luxury. But, it also gets them out among a bunch of different kids and in different situations of having to learn from an adult other than ourselves. (They are all homeschooled - not that I buy the "socialization" argument.) But, if we had to, we would drop them down to only spring season (assuming we could afford that) - the fall ball and the travel teams are total extras that I'm glad we can afford but are rather luxurious.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#34 of 60 Old 09-18-2010, 11:02 PM

I have too many little luxuries that I start feeling guilty hanging out on this board. Like a PP said, if we went from 2 incomes to 1 I couldn't probably cut quite a few... but when I see what we would make with my 1 income (and my partner's is lower than mine) we couldn't meet our basic bills... so with 2 incomes I like having little extras to make it worth it.

- pedicures and eyebrow waxing and every once in awhile a half price massage, and good haircuts cost a lot here

- organic food... funny thing is if I stick to Whole Foods (and only buy whats local and on sale) I spend LESS than when I shop primarily at the farmer's market! Farmer's market peaches were $3-5/lb depending on the stand, while WF were .99/lb (organic, local) Getting farmer's market meats and dairy in glass bottles costs so much so I try to only have meat once a week, but make it the kind of meat you drool over while reading Omnivore's Dilemma.

- we like eating out way, way too much.

- wine (I just noticed this trend when looking over my checking account last week. A huge percentage of my salary goes to food and wine)

- travel a few times a year (sometimes even with our son at his grandparents, sometimes with the whole extended family, sometimes just us 3) and frequent date nights. We need it, and it renews our relationship and commitment to our family.

- I really, really hope I don't have to add private school to this list ever-- I'm a teacher and it would KILL me to be working to teach other kids to pay for my son to be taught by someone else. But if I quit and homeschooled, we'd be short quite a bit.

My goal is to quit work within 5 years when our car, all debt, and half of our mortgage is paid off (we have 2 loans, a higher one for 5 years and a smaller one for 10 years). Have another baby and get to be a class mom for my son. ;-)
#35 of 60 Old 09-18-2010, 11:37 PM

Pedicures, and trips to the hairdresser every 6-8 weeks.
#36 of 60 Old 09-19-2010, 06:18 PM

for me: 5:50AM group boot camp fitness classes outdoors, occasional pedicures.

for my husband: the occasional gadget, yard stuff.

for our kids: occasional take out dinners, legos for my older son, books for both.

For all of us: 1 bigger vacation a year, a few smaller trips each year.

We are very financially comfortable and would cut all of the above if needed.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#37 of 60 Old 09-19-2010, 09:35 PM

Love this thread!

High quality chocolate (Belgian, usually) and good coffee for the house for me.

Cute consignment-bought clothes for my daughter.

Microbrew beer for my husband.
#38 of 60 Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 PM

Daily lattes from Starbucks. Can't go without them! I'd give up food first LOL

Iced grande raspberry with whip mocha

or

Grande peppermint mocha

every.single.day.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#39 of 60 Old 09-19-2010, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have to have Swiss or Belgian chocolate everyday. Although since I've never skimped on food it's probably considered reasonable expenses. And I have to eat fresh veggies everyday, not frozen, not canned. I just grew up doing that and can't give that up.

I do own some nice things for myself but I have no trouble giving them up if we need money. I'm mostly a foodie.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#40 of 60 Old 09-19-2010, 10:33 PM

Weekly cleaning ladies. Every single Friday.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#41 of 60 Old 09-20-2010, 12:00 AM

A monthly cleaning lady. I keep giving her raises because I don't want her to leave.

I eat lunch out almost every day. It's an escape from my stressful job.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#42 of 60 Old 09-20-2010, 01:21 AM

I can add to mine ... shopping at Whole Foods. Usually we shop at TJ's and a little Mom & Pop health food store where I can get what we need for a good amount. But every now and then I like to splurge on Whole Foods. I just love all their produce.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#43 of 60 Old 09-20-2010, 02:28 AM

Exercise Club Membership.

Classes for the kids: Science and Geography

Starbucks.

nocirc.gif

#44 of 60 Old 09-20-2010, 11:26 AM

We eat out 1-2 times a week.

I was going to say my organic, all natural body care products but honestly I have such bad chemical sensitivities that I could probably handle the cheap hair stuff, but I absolutely cannot use mainstream body lotions (I have ezcema and dermographism). It keeps me out of the doctors office, literally.

We buy organic, high thread count sheets. DD and I have sensory issues and itchy sheets make my skin crawl. But I could do without the organic.

I don't consider organic healthy food a luxury. I believe that everyone has the right to safe, healthy food. I know some can't afford it, but we can. I would drop just about everything else before I started buying non-organic (certain items-dairy, apples...)

My daughter's activity classes. She's homeschooled and these are her lifeline to other kids (besides the park and library, which we wear out, believe me )

Oh, I do buy quality art supplies for myself and dd. I think it's important, and it is a luxury.

I get my eyebrows waxed 1-2 times a month. I'd have a unibrow, I'm not joking.

Other than those things, I'm really frugal with everything, shop on sale or thrift, use coupons, no cable, prepaid cellie, make home cleaning supplies, order water at restaurants, no cleaning ladies, no gym memberships, no YMCA, no pool passes, no lawn maintenance, no pedicures, no fancy haircuts, no spas, cheap vacations, cheap car, etc.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#45 of 60 Old 09-20-2010, 11:35 AM

Cable with a DVR. No fancy movie channels, just regular expanded basic cable. It's the DVR that I love. I almost never get to sit down and watch shows when they're on, so being able to watch them whenever I get a chance is really nice.

I also partake in a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte (nonfat, no whip ) more often than I should But it's only available a few months out of the year, so I get it while I can.
#46 of 60 Old 09-21-2010, 06:27 PM

Lancome Foundation

I don't own a table or chairs, but I have flawless looking skin!
#47 of 60 Old 09-21-2010, 11:20 PM

Once a month trip to a hair stylist

Good food... I do not skimp when it comes to food. It would be the absolute last thing I would trim if we had to

Boutique childrens clothes for DS

I'm not a coffee person but I do drink tea and some blends can be pricey

My ridiculous cookbook habit

Travel... on average we fly 4 or 5 times a year. We have large families in multiple countries that we try to visit frequently

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#48 of 60 Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Dance class for me. It's something I plan to do for the rest of my life.

Warcraft for dh and I. (mostly dh, lol)

Preschool for dd.

Internet connection.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#49 of 60 Old 09-22-2010, 11:44 AM

My dog. He's not cheap as the financial planner always reminds me but we love him. He's partially blind, has disk disease (which is amazingly low maintenance considering it temporarily paralyzed him), and is on bp medication for which he has to have routine blood work 3 times a year. He's a good dog, navigates well, loves the kids, and isn't in any kind of pain so we're keeping him - bah humbug to the financial planner!

DH: MR2's

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#50 of 60 Old 09-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Me: Netflix! (we have zero TV reception here)

DH: online gaming subscriptions

Both of us: internet connection. Also pop-up camper that we haven't even used this year.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#51 of 60 Old 09-22-2010, 04:50 PM

Spinning fiber. I'm a fiber artist (primarily a handspinner, also a knitter) and I splurge on luxury fibers every so often because they are just so amazing to handle. And it's cheaper than therapy. Right now I'm knitting a nursing shawl out of a merino/cashmere/silk yarn that I spun - I know it's an utterly impractical fiber for a nursing shawl, but it's so soft and gorgeous and I wanted to make one heirloom piece for this long-awaited baby.

I also don't scrimp on food, ever. Which isn't to say that I'm not frugal - I cook from scratch as much as possible, we don't eat much meat, I stock up when things are on a really good sale, etc. But we're both pretty serious foodies, and good food is a joy.
#52 of 60 Old 09-23-2010, 11:49 AM

makeup and hair products!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#53 of 60 Old 09-25-2010, 10:56 AM

I'd say my iphone, though that feels like a neccesity to me LOL.

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#54 of 60 Old 09-25-2010, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
After reading this, I think I need to splurge a little more on myself. I can't remember that last time I bought myself anything.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#55 of 60 Old 09-25-2010, 06:44 PM

New clothes for me. New clothes for the kids. I do get some of the kids' stuff secondhand but after almost 3 years of secondhand/cheap stuff for DD I am sick of things falling apart or being unbleachable. Besides, she just wears her favorites over and over, so I am trying to buy her fewer but better clothes. DS is still at the age where the secondhand selection is really good and they don't wear stuff for that long, so I am trying not to buy him much.

Other luxuries: occasional meal out. Date night. Preschool. High speed internet. Family activities.
#56 of 60 Old 10-01-2010, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My gym membership- it's $85 a month, but I do yoga at least twice a week which would cost me about $15 a class at a local studio, so it actually works out. Or at least, that's how I justify it.

Netflix, but that's like $8 so....I don't really consider it a splurge

Good quality tea for myself. That's just imperative. Generally though, I use my swagbucks GC for that so again, I'm not sure that I could it. I mean yes, the GC could be used for household stuff instead so fine. :P

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#57 of 60 Old 10-03-2010, 02:19 AM

Okay, I'm starting to feel a little better about myself. DH is a SERIOUS coupon hound, and is, I'm not kidding, like a competitive shopper. I'm not allowed to go grocery shopping for our household. I might spend an extra dollar on the wrong toothbrush - GASP!

So my thing is apples. I do eat one a day, and not for any doctor-avoidance technique, I just really enjoy a good, crisp, juicy apple. Mmm. Nothing like it!

So DH knows better than to get crappy red delicious, but he'll totally scrimp and get me galas when the fuji's and braeburns are 20 cents more a pound. Braeburns are totally better! I just told him - poo poo'ed his 20 cents a pound and told him I was going myself to buy the Honeycrisp's! (which is a severe threat - in Alaska we are talking 3.50/lb for those apples. They are insanely expensive, and delicious).

Well, it worked. I get my braeburn's and fuji's now. And they do cost $2/lb. And we are talking, like, 7 at a time because I eat them every day. He comes home crabbing about how we spent 12 dollars on apples.

And then I eat an apple. Call me spoiled!

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#58 of 60 Old 10-03-2010, 06:10 PM

these past 8 months, we have had to live so frugally, I feel I've given up things that I *would* have said are the luxury that I'd never give up

but I always find $1.20 to buy my son an ice cream cone at Rite Aid (-: it makes him happy and makes me feel like we aren't struggling so much, if I can treat my boy to ice cream
#59 of 60 Old 10-03-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceface View Post
but I always find $1.20 to buy my son an ice cream cone at Rite Aid (-: it makes him happy and makes me feel like we aren't struggling so much, if I can treat my boy to ice cream
This is .

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#60 of 60 Old 10-03-2010, 10:22 PM

Excellent supplements/vitamins and food. The pets and their high quality of care.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page