What's Your Luxury? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is something you could trim, but it's a luxury you grant yourself or your family? For example...

DH likes expensive three ply toilet paper.

I like to go to this Italian bakery every Saturday and get pastries that we do not need.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#2 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm a yarn addict. To support my habit (and justify to myself that it is ok to spend), I bring my lunch to work which can save me up to $50/wk. No, I don't then spend $50/week on yarn!

We're beginning to have family date night, we have a monthly couple date night, gym membership with personal training sessions for dh and I (which has proven to be a great connector for my husband and I) and a sitter for these outings. Sure, we could cut back on these, but given the state of our marriage, they're pretty crucial right now. And suggested in part and totally encouraged by our marriage counselor - whom we see weekly at a $25 co-pay. Sure, we could cut back on that, too, but, we'd surely end up in divorce court! So, depending on your view, these could be counted as necessities.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#3 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 12:57 PM

I know this may sound silly:

When I have a little extra on FS, on a day the kids are at their father's, I get me a small filet. I cook it exactly the way I like it. I have asparagus with hollandaise or something like that on the side. Just like I was going to a fancy restaurant. Sometimes I even go get a very small bottle of wine. Something cheap, but something I don't ever get. Then I light myself a candle and watch a chick flick. If I can afford it, I'll rent one I haven't seen, but otherwise, I watch one of my favorites that I have received as gifts through the years.

Actually, I think that is in store for tonight!
#4 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Violin lessons. Total indulgence at $80 a month (two lessons, I just can't justify going every week). I mean, there is no hope of me ever playing professionally or anything. It is just totally for me for fun. I also decided that I would buy myself a cup of tea and sit in the campus cafe in between work and my evening classes. That comes out to about $5 a week which I could completely avoid by bringing my own mug and tea bag and using my bottle of drinking water to make a cup of tea in the microwave right outside the cafe. I think I am going to change that now that I figured out that it really is costing me $20 a month. That seems a bit steep now that I have thought about it! I could buy one book on my wish list every month with that $20. Hmmmm..
#5 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 01:02 PM

A whole bunch of extra cable channels. We lived without cable for years, but since we got it again we got a ton of movie channels and one of the bigger cable packages. It's a lot more money than we need to spend, but it's so worth it to be browsing the channels and find something we'd like to watch and not go, "oh, we don't have that channel. Boo."

I did give up netflix though because I couldn't justify all the movie channels and netflix.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#6 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 01:05 PM

A good pair of shoes. I have picky feet and out of all the shoes I've bought over the years, feet only like the Merrell slip-on that cost way more than I'd prefer to spend on shoes.
#7 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 01:17 PM

Cable TV and the occasional fast food.
#8 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 01:20 PM

Organic meats, raw milk, and organic fruits/veggies that are on the "dirty dozen" list. We COULD buy the cheap stuff, but it tastes so much better to go expensive.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#9 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 01:22 PM

I'd say my iphone, if that's considered a luxury item.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#10 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I'd say my iphone, if that's considered a luxury item.
I used to have an iphone, loved that thing. My luxuries are probably organic foods and raw milk. I can only afford these due to food stamps though. The only other thing I could do to use up what I get would be to just stock up a ton. When I had a garden, I was able to do both. Also, clothes. I love clothes, for me and the kids. Many are homemade very inexpensively, but I am still a fashion addict, lol.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#11 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 02:03 PM

High speed internet, Warcraft, and Direct tv with a DVR. (though we did drop the premium channels--had them all at one point, then realized we weren't actually watching them/the movies we recorded.).
#12 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 02:12 PM

Orange juice--the expensive, fresh squeezed kind. As we say around here: "It's pricey, but it's worth it!"

M :, wife to P :, Proud new mama to N
#13 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 02:16 PM

Netflix.
#14 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 02:30 PM

natural mama reminded me: I love children's clothes. I'm addicted to Janie & Jack, and we'd surely save money if I stopped buying new items.

Also, our house is luxurious, IMO. But, hey, it balances out the old car I drive.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#15 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
netflix! i love it since we dont have cable

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#16 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yarn ($20 a month?) - It is for gifts where I'm obliged to give something but I refuse to touch the cheapest, scratchy icky kind so what I get is a luxury.

Good eggs ($18 extra/month) - Farm fresh ones, safer and delicious. Plus this particular farmer is so friendly and positive that buying from him brightens my Saturdays. Still cheaper than breakfasts at McD's.

AC ($90 extra/summer month) kept it under 77F in the house. We're home all day and I get mean and useless if I'm too hot. (Winter heating costs a lot too but that's a complete necessity)
#17 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 05:26 PM

Good shoes (currently in chacos and keens), coffee out sometimes, netflix, and frankly, I consider cable internet and cell phone to be luxury items as well. For me.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#18 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma View Post
Good shoes (currently in chacos and keens)
Me too, I LOVE both of these. We're pretty broke right now, but my Chacos took a nosedive and were dying a slow, painful death. My local little clothing store had a pair in my size on clearance for $47.50, I really didn't have the money, but I wear my chacos nearly every.single.day. Had to buy them, but they were 1/2 price.

I also LOVE expensive workout type clothing, Patagonia, North Face, Columbia, Athleta-anything that is breathable. I'm a junkie for that type of thing, I just love well made comfy sports bras and such. Thing is though I'm too broke to buy crap, if I'm gonna buy something it should last, because I want to wear it for YEARS.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#19 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Wine.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#20 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 06:09 PM

I also have a bit of a problem with the expensive outdoor clothing. Every year I seem to justify purchasing another Patagonia jacket (although I do sometimes sell an old one on ebay...)
#21 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 06:10 PM

Nice bedding - high thread count sheets. And I think my DH is now spoiled in this way, too. In an attempt to spend less, I bought some sheets from Ikea last month. They were boycotted by my DH, who said they were "like sleeping on bark."
#22 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 06:11 PM

Beautiful little children's clothing

Books of all kinds, I never say no to a book

YUMMY food

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#23 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 08:07 PM

Pedicures...I'm so due for one. I finally got DP to acknowlege that these are necessary for me. LOL I used to get them at least once a month, now I've cut it back to 2-3 times a year. Since it's not as often, he does agree I'm much happier when my toesis are pretty. Plus it's so relaxing to sit in the comfortable chairs and soak my feet..Then they get all the dead skin off, and clean up my toenails. The place I go also uses this awesome foot mask which is wonderful. The employees that work there are nice as well...They don't chat over you with eachother they are totally into you. I always feel 1000 times better after I leave there. It's just not the same to do it yourself.
#24 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 08:41 PM

Good tea. Good quality clothes. I find that buying cheap clothes ends up as a false economy.
#25 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 08:43 PM

Good makeup. I love my clinique. I just do.

Good food. I keep within my grocery budget (mostly), but I tend to spend my cash money on a little bit of food here and there, too. I love the Saturday morning farmers' market. And, we're talking total splurges here. No one needs a pint of figs for snacking, you know?

Cable internet, and I just let dh talk me into a fancy cell phone. We cancelled our home phone, and the new phones only cost us like $20 a month more than the old cheapie cell phones nad home phone together, but they are pretty freaking awesome.
#26 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 09:33 PM

Music activities (lessons/classes/events), though we are frugal within that category and the whole family benefits when one person gets a class or a lesson.

Real maple syrup, though we are cane-sugar-free and we buy in bulk from a local farmer.

Paperbackswap credits (= books).

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#27 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 10:36 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Well there are a lot of things that could be cut if we went from two incomes to one, but I don't necessarily call them all "luxuries." We could cut:

* music lessons
* organic food (although I can taste pesticides, so this would be hard.)
* books, books, and more books
* massages
* vacations

and I'm sure there's a lot more we could cut if we had to.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#28 of 60 Old 09-18-2010, 01:46 AM

Family outings. I love taking the kids places and having fun. Especially when DH is gone we do a lot of fun stuff that I could easily cut.

The occasional meal out, I love trying new restruants and figure we only have so long on the island (military, stationed in Japan) so we might as well try to enjoy it while we can.

Books! I love to get books for me and the kids. Im not sure its really a "luxury" item since our local library stinks, I can't even find a lot of the classics there.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#29 of 60 Old 09-18-2010, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Memberships that allow us to do homeschool fieldtrips. 2010 we joined the science center, zoo and waterpark. When these expire J wants to join the botanical garden, waterpark and #3 is open to discussion.

Classes for J. I'm good at seeking out scholarships and such but not everything has a sponsor.

I like my pedicures and occassional haircuts/highlights.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#30 of 60 Old 09-18-2010, 10:14 AM

Vacations. We spend an absurd amount of money on vacations each year, but we both love to travel and it's important for us to have time away as a family. With that said, we don't go just blow through money, I'm still pretty conservative with things. I look for deals on 4/5-star hotels, we eat at local places instead of tourist traps, and we travel economy unless we get a good deal on an upgrade.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page