What do you spend on groceries and other questions... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 09-26-2010, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We budget $150 a week for groceries for our family of 6 (me, dh, 9yo, 7yo, 5yo and 3yo).

We drink water if we're thirsty. I buy one half-gallon of almond milk a week, which we use for cereal and cooking.

Breakfast is milk and cereal or oatmeal, or sandwich and fruit if we have somewhere to run to in the morning.

Lunch is simple, sometimes sandwiches. Stuff like fruit, cheese, carrots with hummus or peanut butter and apples.

We have meat with dinner two or three nights a week. When I buy meat, I stick with organic, so it isn't something that we eat every day.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#32 of 40 Old 09-26-2010, 02:01 AM

I think a lot of this depends on what we consider a meal or what we are willing to do to stretch things. How many times we eat out too.

We usually spend $100-$120 per week on groceries and toiletries. It depends on how much meat we are buying. We are a family of 6, but we don't all eat every meal together. Our teen girls don't eat at our house everyday..some times it is only breakfast..then other days all 3 meals.

We have been really tight on money lately so we spend less. I am not seeing the bargins that were available a few weeks/months ago.

Now I spend $75 to $85 and we are eating whatever is on sale. I will serve rice and potatoes in the same meal if we have left overs to fill a plate and not waste things. We are eating bologna instead of ham if it isn't a good deal. We are using the cheap bread We are only doing chicken and pork if it is on sale..mostly chicken and I stretch it. Lots of beans and rice too.

We are managing on this budget ,but it doesn't feel great..stressful. I think that many people would feel bad for us if they knew how skimpy we have become..as I was a foodie snob not long ago. We also eat a lot of the same thing if that is what was the bargin buster at the store..example; peaches..I will serve them different ways , but try to use them a lot since they will spoil quickly.
#33 of 40 Old 09-26-2010, 11:56 AM

My grocery/household budget is $600/month. That's for 2 adults and 2 children.

Prices from central Iowa...
1 gallon of org milk ?? I'm guessing $5-6
1 gallon of non-org milk $2.79
5 lb bag org carrots ?? conventional $2.50
bulk rice 1 lb bag, $.89
1 lb butter reg. $2.59 org. around $5
wild caught Alaskan salmon $14.99, occasionally on sale for less
org/free range eggs $2.50

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#34 of 40 Old 09-26-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
We live in a suburb just outside of Chicago.

We have recently decided to work HARD to pay off debt. Our goal is to spend no more than $100/month on groceries. Obviously, organics won't be bought often for the time being, but I just discovered our local Aldi has some good stuff, like frozen wild caught salmon for $3.99/lb. Some other stuff that looks good too.
That is 66 cents per day per person. That is not going to work as a fish eating omnivore unless you have a pretty full pantry or are getting food for free somewhere. You could do oatmeal and grains on that but that budget is approaching a starvation diet in the USA.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#35 of 40 Old 09-26-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijip View Post
That is 66 cents per day per person. That is not going to work as a fish eating omnivore unless you have a pretty full pantry or are getting food for free somewhere. You could do oatmeal and grains on that but that budget is approaching a starvation diet in the USA.
Agreed! Somehow this slipped past me the first time and I thought it read $100 per week. Even one pound of salmon would take up a HUGE portion of a $25 a week budget. That's more than a days' worth of food budget.
#36 of 40 Old 09-26-2010, 11:19 PM

I bet that $100/month was a typo. I didn't notice that either at first. You could eat a whole lot of Ramen noodles and koolaid on that budget!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#37 of 40 Old 09-27-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
I bet that $100/month was a typo. I didn't notice that either at first. You could eat a whole lot of Ramen noodles and koolaid on that budget!
I hope so! But I have too often read of families actually angling for budgets that are far too low. Which, growing up poor and on food assistance I don't understand. Thankfully, I am super comfy now money wise. But even if I was not, I would feed my family first, period.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#38 of 40 Old 09-27-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijip View Post
I hope so! But I have too often read of families actually angling for budgets that are far too low. Which, growing up poor and on food assistance I don't understand. Thankfully, I am super comfy now money wise. But even if I was not, I would feed my family first, period.
Unless it was $100/month on top of food stamp money? I don't know. Wish that poster would come back and clarify!
#39 of 40 Old 09-28-2010, 04:11 AM

In my area, I have not found any stores that stack coupons. Many coupons and sales have limits that don't allow for stocking up.

We eat strictly organic and use organic personal care items too (toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant and the like) Something else that brings our grocery bill above average is that we are gluten, dairy and soy free due to food sensitivities. We feel strongly that feeding our family the best we can is the most important investment we can make for our children's lives in the long run.

I buy most of our groceries from Azurestandard.com and I buy it bulk. I buy most of our supplements and toiletries from Frontier Wholesale. This one was more difficult because the minimum to get free shipping is high so I have had to time my orders to about 6 months worth of supplies at a time so it takes some saving up. Some things buy from Amazon such as powdered rice milk, gluten free pretzels, yummy earth suckers and kippers because the case price is hugely cheaper on subscription.

I grew up very poor and my mother shared her worry of whether or not we could afford our next meal with us children and that caused me to have a deep need to stock pile food and toilet paper

We do buy organic produce from the store as needed and belong to a local gleaning organization to supplement our produce bill. I buy my eggs, organic and farm fresh from a friend for $2 a dozen.

My estimate is that we spend about $900 a month on food for 5 of us and I am trying to bring that down. This month was hard because our stove broke and we had a week of eating out more than usual. I'm working on tracking all our expenses more closely than I have been and trying to avoid sending dh to the store for this or that on the way home which is what really breaks the bank.

belly.gif to  jumpers.giflol.gif wonderful people with  baby.gif on the way!

#40 of 40 Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 AM

Our food budget is between 300-400 a month for our family of 4 (me, DH, DD1 3 and DD2 1). We don't eat organic its to expensive and somewhat hard to come by. I do cook a lot from scratch. I wish we had the opportunity to get some items at least organic but cost isn't going to happen so I just do what I can. As long as everyone has a full belly that is my most important concern. The budget includes all household/personal supplies including the razors my husband needs for work and any extra things he might have to get for training. We eat all our meals at home and I pack lunches for my husband so he isn't tempted to eat lunch out.

Costs here(these are approx. I didn't want to pull out my old receipts and check them):
1 gallon of org milk ?? No idea, conventional milk is around 3ish for a half gallon. They don't sale gallons over here.
5 lb bag org carrots No idea, they don't have them. its about 1.00-1.25 for a 1 lb bag of regular carrots.. usually i can get baby carrots for .99 for a pound so I get those when I want carrots (cheaper and already precut for me)
bulk rice 1 lb bag, around 1.00 I think.. I don't get 1 lb bags very often, I usually will get the 15 lb bag.
1 lb butter reg. probably 2.50, organic you can't get. Last time they had it here I don't remember the price but I remember thinking "who the heck can afford that"
wild caught Alaskan salmon again can't get over here. regular salmon frozen is around 8ish for 8 ounces I think. Id have to look. I get my fish out in town but we never get Salmon. I can get some nice freshly caught fish at the fish market for cheaper than I can buy in the commissary, I just don't know very much Japanese and have to be careful not to get the wrong stuff.
org/free range eggs Can't get them in the commissary, regular eggs in the commissary is around 2ish for a dozen. If I want to take a drive I can go to the egg shop out in town and get I think 2 dozen free range eggs for around 400 yen (like 5.50 or so)

inthezoo- My family wasn't poor but my parents couldn't manage money so there were times we didn't have food in the cupboard and didn't have money to buy food. I hated the nagging hungry feeling growing up, or not having food to take the school and having to lie to the teacher and say you forgot the lunch your parents packed. I like to have a stockpile of food around as well. I get panicky if I open the freezer/fridge/pantry and there isn't at least a weeks worth of good meals and several weeks worth of ok meals at any given times. It use to drive my husband nuts until he realized how important it was to me and now he will suggest going to the store for things if he realizes we are starting to get low. I don't stockpile TP though, maybe its because I always get the big packs and those take us like 2-3 months to go through so it feels like I'm stockpiling!

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page