What do you spend on groceries and other questions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 09-22-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just reading this GRS poll http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/20...spend-on-food/ and it's really got me thinking about how much people spend on groceries per month, and how much your location factors into it. I'm curious, for those of us who track our expenses, how much can we reasonably spend on food? Obviously the goal is to spend as little as possible, but on this particular web-site the general reader isn't concerned about "organic, free-range, natural" etc. like many MDC readers are.

For my family of 5 (2 growing boys who eat LOTS, plus 2 cats and 2 guinea pigs) we spend, gulp, a lot. I take $300 each week to buy food (people and pets), any household items including toiletries, cleaning supplies and gifts. To be fair...I don't have a clothing budget so any clothing gets bought with that money too. We usually get our clothes at thrift stores, hand me downs and occasionally at Target.

I buy my organic, free-range eggs, usually 2-3 doz. per week, from a friend for $3.50 dz. I live in So. Cal. so food is more expensive for some unknown reason, considering most of our nations produce comes from a few hundred miles away. Our tap water is not safe to drink so we fill 5 gal. bottles of filtered water for our dispenser (about $12 per week).

We buy organic when possible, mostly shop at a health food store (not Whole Foods) that's actually pretty reasonable price-wise. I don't clip coupons because they're rarely for the things I buy. I do check the stores sales flier for the week and try to plan my meals around what's on sale. We don't buy much convenience food. I make every meal at home, eating out is rare. We don't buy soda or juice.

I do my shopping once a week from a list I don't deviate from. Our pets also eat healthy pet foods from a natural pet food store.

I'm trying to figure out how some folks here can spend so little! I don't want to eat oatmeal every day we like variety in our meals. I'm including the price of some common items to see if there's a huge difference in your area.

1 gallon of org milk $5.79
1 gallon of non-org milk $2.39
5 lb bag org carrots $3.79
bulk rice .79
1 lb butter reg. $2.39 org. $4.89
wild caught Alaskan salmon $7.99 lb.
org/free range eggs $3.50 from friend but $4.09 from store

those are just a few...What are your thoughts? Am I making too much of your location making a big difference in food cost? I have to say $300 never feels like enough for me but since putting a cap on our grocery spending we've been able to get our debts paid off faster. We still have a ways to go though so if I can cut back more I will (within reason )

DS 12 DS 9 DD 6
#2 of 40 Old 09-22-2010, 03:18 PM

Your prices are higher than where I live (large metro area in the southeast). That accounts for a huge difference. We can't afford organic but rarely, so we buy conventional.

Milk $1.99/gal
rice 3 lb/$1.50
carrots 5 lbs (non og) $3
butter 1 lb $2.49
eggs $3 farmers' market; $1.29 reg store

We do eat a lot of variety, but it's a lot of variety within my budget. Again, cause it's our reality. If I had more, I'd spend more. I'm not one of those that says, "oh, I spend $300, and it's the best, and everyone should do it!" No, in my case, it's, "I spend $300 cause that's what we have, and it stinks, but it's doable, and we eat pretty good considering."

So, our budget does impact the types of things we eat, too. For instance, if we have salmon, it comes from a can, unless it's a birthday. Once a week, we have breakfast for supper (my kids love this, but it's also cheap). We eat casseroles and soups and stews and curries. We eat a lot of things over a starch, to stretch them (rice, potatoes, noodles, polenta, cornbread). We only eat in season fruits and veggies. My kids have been asking for 2 months if it was apple season yet, and they were so happy when this week, I finally said, "yes!" We do prefer the taste of in-season, too, but it's more than that. It's also the price.
#3 of 40 Old 09-22-2010, 03:24 PM

Well, we do the same, but take out $150 a week for our family of 5. That pays for any groceries, gas for the cars, household expenses, tithing, and any additional that may come up. As far as groceries, we are on a hell-bent-to-pay-off-all-debt mode, so we tossed organic out the window. It just isn't a priority for us. I follow the circulars and make my menu based upon what is on sale. Meat (conventional as I rarely will pay over $1.99 a pound for it--maybe for a holiday or birthday or if it is something that can be seriously stretched, such as in a stew or stir fry) is eaten probably once every few days. We eat a lot of beans and rice, soups, stews, and other things that can stretch a couple meals. Produce is eaten seasonally, and certain things like asparagus and artichokes are luxury items. We take advantage of any free/cheap sources of food we can get: WIC, free school lunch for my two older kids, friends offering us food, and I'm waiting to find out whether there will be the salmon giveaway locally this year. I can't afford to be picky. Breakfast is usually oatmeal, grits, or rice cereal (take brown rice left over from the night before and warm it up with milk, brown sugar, and syrup until it is a nice, creamy, hot consitency). Lunch is either salad and soup or a smoothie, depending on how hot or cold it is outside. For snacks, we have homemade tortilla chips or popcorn, or fruit and peanut butter or cheese. I might make cookies or brownies once in a great while, but they are eaten so fast--I might plan on them lasting a few days, they are polished off in a couple hours no matter how many I make, it isn't cost-efficient to make them.
#4 of 40 Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
No, in my case, it's, "I spend $300 cause that's what we have, and it stinks, but it's doable, and we eat pretty good considering."
I have to say that rings true for us too. There have been weeks when I had $100 to spend and somehow it was possible, although I couldn't get some luxury items like paper towels and really squeezing out that last bit of toothpaste to make it until next payday. I save quite a bit these days by making my own laundry soap, growing veggies and herbs, and going grocery shopping only once a week (cuts down on impulse buys).

DS 12 DS 9 DD 6
#5 of 40 Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 PM

Just a couple of thoughts.

First, the poll you linked if nearly 4 years old. I bet nearly ever poster regardless of eating style/diet spend more than they did four years ago (unless they have had several teenagers move out and become independent).

Second, I actually think your prices are about the same as mine in Podunk, WI.

Third, I think you budget includes way more than just groceries. I have a budget that covers what you covers plus fuel and we just call it the "budget" for the month
#6 of 40 Old 09-22-2010, 10:30 PM

I have become quite the coupon evangelist these days. And just in time for our family! I was spending a minimum of $160 a week for our groceries with maybe a couple trips to the store for extras that we ran out of.
I have completely overhauled our spending and have made it my job to save. We spend (for a family of 4, 2 adults 2 growing boys) $75-100 a week on food. And that is also stocking the pantry I also spend approximately $50 per month on toiletries/household. I will never ever pay full price for food/paper goods again. I would challenge you to look again a coupons. I can tell you that I too thought that I couldn't possibly use any coupons but the more you hunt the more you find coupons for things you eat. Pair them with the loss leaders and you will be paying pennies for things you would have paid full price for before.

I get so much stuff for free its insane. Also I stock up on things we need everyday because those trips to the store for toothpaste when we run out, always end up costing more than that. I like shopping out of my pantry when we need stuff.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#7 of 40 Old 09-23-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
1 gallon of org milk $5.79$11.99
1 gallon of non-org milk $2.394.99
5 lb bag org carrots $3.79?
bulk rice .79?
1 lb butter reg. $2.39$4.49 org. $4.89$9.99
wild caught Alaskan salmon $7.99 lb.?
org/free range eggs $3.50 from friend but $4.09 from store$5.99

those are just a few...What are your thoughts? Am I making too much of your location making a big difference in food cost?
I'm surprised that so many others find your numbers high. I've put my area's numbers in blue

4 kids under 10
#8 of 40 Old 09-23-2010, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I buy for DS10 and myself. I pack DS lunch everyday (he goes to a sitter since I'm working and he likes it there) and when i work I pack my lunch. I budget $70/wk. Some of that is fs. I use coupons and watch sales. My grocery budget inludes household items.

Milk is less than $2 a gal or we dont get it. Milk is usually a loss leader at $1.69 gal or 88c 1/2 gal.
Carrots are $1 for 1lb- the minis or 69c regular (ds likes the minis for lunches and my store has coupons for these)
Butter I usually get 4lbs at Costco (dont remember the price)
Eggs 88c-1.50 doz (depends on the sale)
I dont buy bulk rice, we use rice a roni 88c a box - may times free after coupons.

We dont each much red meat, unless DS wants meatloaf from the deli. Red meat makes me sick. We do lots of chicken. Boneless, skinless breasts or tenders. $1.88lb max price. Pork max price is $2.99 and usually is less. (again no bone) We dont eat fish, only tuna for tuna/pasta salad.

I am happy that its cooling off here and I will be able to bake again.
It's also apple season and I love to make apple sauce. DS loves 'granny smith' apple sauce yummy. I just use apples and a bit of water.. nothing else sooooo good!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#9 of 40 Old 09-23-2010, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The prices you listed look really good. Ours usually cost about twice as much. (Vancouver, Canada) We don't do organic dairy or meat as they're too much. I try to buy organic produce as they're usually rather reasonable, but I definitely don't stick to the labels. I think our best money saving tip is to not to buy too much food and waste them. My parents spend about as much on food for two people as we do for five people. As far as I know they toss out about half of everything later because they've gone bad.

Meal planning can really help to utilize everything you have/bought.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#10 of 40 Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 AM

1 gallon of org milk $5.79 $5.99
1 gallon of non-org milk $2.39$1.99
5 lb bag org carrots $3.793lbs is $3.99
bulk rice .79$1.29
1 lb butter reg. $2.39 org. $4.89Regular about $2.59, organic is over $6
wild caught Alaskan salmon $7.99 lb.$14.99
org/free range eggs $3.50 from friend but $4.09 from store$3.50 at store

We spend $160 a week on groceries.
#11 of 40 Old 09-23-2010, 08:19 AM

This is about where were at- Southeastern Coast in the US. I spend about $200 a week on Groceries, and that includes a few "non-grocery" items. But I only buy those with coupons and major sales. That is for a family of 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
bulk rice .79$1.29

Vicki- Homeschooling Mama to 4 girls
#12 of 40 Old 09-23-2010, 08:41 AM

We're a family of 6 (2 adults, kids 10, 7, 4, 2). We spend $475/month. Our prices are comparable to yours. I agree with the previous poster who said that couponing is key - because that is key to our budget. I shop the sales, and stack coupons for sale items. I stockpile good deals. This week, I might buy 8 jars of peanut butter, because on sale and with coupon they cost me $.45 each, and regular price is $2.65. I know that I don't need 8 jars of PB this week, but eventually I'll use them. I've saved $$$ by just using a shelf in my basement to store the food. I apply this principle to lots of things, and stockpile, stockpile, stockpile. I don't pay for personal care items (toothpaste, shampoo, razors, etc.) I just watch the sales and stack my coupons and get those things for free. There are websites that help you do this!

When I started couponing, I was of the mindset, "Oh, coupons are only for prepackaged food. Nothing I'd ever use!" I was wrong. By watching what coupons are out there (and requesting coupons from companies I like), I save my family $$$$! I do get coupons for produce, bread, and other staples. Know the sale cycles (like baking goods go on sale around Thanksgiving/Christmas) and stockpile!

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#13 of 40 Old 09-23-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
bulk rice .79$1.29

These are our prices as well. I'm spending about $125 for our family of 5 (soon to be 6).

I use coupons as well. I've made it my mission to get grocery spending as low as possible by combining coupons and sales and then loading up. Figure out your store's sale cycle and take advantage of it.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#14 of 40 Old 09-23-2010, 11:30 AM

I just spent $175 last week for a family of 4 w/ a baby who is eating baby food right now. That is quite possibly the MOST I've ever spent in a week but we were out of quite a bit.

Your prices are fairly simliar to ours and we live between a rock and a hard place - Midwest.
I buy organic when it's on sale - like organic fruit, organic soy milk, snacks for DS, etc., But we usually budget no more than $100 a week for groceries for our family. $50 to Target for misc items and $100 every two weeks to Sam's for stock up items.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#15 of 40 Old 09-23-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Our tap water is not safe to drink so we fill 5 gal. bottles of filtered water for our dispenser (about $12 per week).
Buy a berkey water filter. $12 a week is over $600 a year for drinking water. For half that cost you can buy a Berkey water filter and filter your tap water.

You can goggle Berkey filter and come up with a lot of vendors that sell, but here is one site: ( I am not associated with them)
http://www.berkeyfilters.com/

We've had out Berkey for a few years, and still have not replaced any of the filters. Black charcoal filters come standard and filter out almost everything. Add the 2nd set of white filters to take out floride.

As for other posters, I agree, coupon shopping, stocking up on sale prices, etc can really lower your prices.

We eat a mix of conventional and organics, but I also shop loss leaders and stock up when possible.
Organic beef was BOGO last week, stocked up at $2.50 a pound
We don't drink much milk, maybe a half gallon every 2 weeks, so can't compare on that cost. Butter is rarely fully organic, but do stock up on Challendge butter which does not use hormones. Normal price is around $4.50 a pound, but there are always coupons for this product on a regular basis in the paper and blinkies in store. I stock my coupons until a sale and then never buy unless it's under $2 a pound. When it hits that price, I buy a lot and freeze.

Yes, some of this stuff will take more time on your part, but it saves a significant portion of money, so it's very worth it.

All that being said, our grocery budget for a month is $250 for a family of 4. (plus 2 cats too)
#16 of 40 Old 09-23-2010, 01:01 PM

Live in midwest. Between a hot and a cold place depending on time of year!

Family of 4, and DH and I are realizing this week, these 2 little girls are becoming big girls so we are thinking we have to re evaluate portions for meals.

My 4 year old, not skinny, but a thin and very lean girl can put it away. She just finished a growth spurt and our pantry was the victim.

My 8 yr old also had a growth spurt and our wallet was the victim because needed new shoes. I now have 3 pairs of gym shoes all perfect in sizes 1, 2, and 3 becauase she outgrew them too fast. But the other will use sooner than later so not upset.

We are averaging about $550 a month on groceries or a bit more lately. So far as of late Sept we have spent $5106 on groceries and that includes our side of pork and meat we buy every year. According to several websites this is frugal for a family of 4. We buy organic when possible, mainly produce and dairy- get it delivered. Our meat is all organic but not certified by local farmers since they are all hobbiest. Dont care, great meat the only way we will consider it too. I also stock up on loss leaders at the grocery store. So if pasta is on sale for 79 cents for a 1lb, I am buying about 20 and using for several weeks or months. I buy several items such as flour, rice and sugar in bulk. We cook from scratch each and everyday.

We do enjoy eating out, but more as a treat or to help the merchants in our neighborhood so they stay in business. Or date night.

I am more of a planner than not. I plan out our menu for a few days ahead based on our produce delivery. Such as we got 2 organic beets last week. Made borsht soup to try it. If we got chard, make a soup or do it up in a pan with garlic and olive oil (what dosent taste good like this??) We have a load of organic lettuce this week and a hot snap of weather. We are having salads tonight. We can cook a few chicken breasts and add what is on hand.

We seem to have an easier time if we plan our meals and also "feed the freezer" ahead of time. So if whatever reason we cannot cook, we can do "take out" from the freezer. Yesterday made beef bougn (gotta love Julia)
with some mushrooms that came in our produce box and leftover wine in the freezer. DH worked late, (we had dinner to go to at church with out him) so he ate the beef at 8pm when he arrived. The rest got frozen for another night.

The kids eat slices of cheese and apples when they get home after school and sometimes yogurt too. After school started, our groceries go down becasue packing lunches is cheaper than them snacking all day at home it seems! Of course I load up on some snacks for school even if its only fruit which both girls plus DH love.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#17 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnice View Post
First, the poll you linked if nearly 4 years old. I bet nearly ever poster regardless of eating style/diet spend more than they did four years ago (unless they have had several teenagers move out and become independent).

Second, I actually think your prices are about the same as mine in Podunk, WI.
I noticed that the poll was older but I didn't think prices had changed that much! Of course, 4 years ago, I just went shopping and didn't really ever look at prices... I can't believe I ever did that. I feel almost like a grown up now that I comparison shop. Also, I was just asking my husband how you spell Podunk. He said "I think it's just how it sounds", yup. Thanks for clearing that up for me

DS 12 DS 9 DD 6
#18 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post
Buy a berkey water filter. $12 a week is over $600 a year for drinking water. For half that cost you can buy a Berkey water filter and filter your tap water.
I'm actually saving up for one of these right now! I'm about 2 weeks away from ordering one...I'm glad to hear you like yours. I've been reading reviews and it sounds like a winner. Have you ever taken yours camping? The one I want says it will collapse so it sounds like it would work well for that.

DS 12 DS 9 DD 6
#19 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
I have become quite the coupon evangelist these days.

I get so much stuff for free its insane. Also I stock up on things we need everyday because those trips to the store for toothpaste when we run out, always end up costing more than that. I like shopping out of my pantry when we need stuff.
After reading everyone's posts...I'm re-thinking the coupon thing...would love to get stuff free! Probably a stupid question but...most coupons say you can't use them with other offers, so .50 cents off is the limit right? How does one get something for free?

DS 12 DS 9 DD 6
#20 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 01:36 AM

We just reviewed our monthly budget here and realized we spend waaaay too much on food (averaging about $90/week for just DH and I, although sometimes that includes meat for the dogs, too) so I'm trying to find ways to save, too. I figure I should get this under control so when a baby comes along I won't be trying to rework my habits then. :P

I already shop sales and try to plan meals around what's on sale, but my biggest issue is that we don't get a daily paper - how does one find legit coupons without a paper??

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#21 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 03:04 AM

I have a question for posters here: Do stores do double coupons where you live? We used to coupon when we lived in L.A. because it was worth it with the doubling, but here there is nada. Plus it seems like the sales around here are crapity crap crap. I check the flyers every week for four local grocery chains and there is never anything listed that I eat (or that I can't get cheaper anyways at Costco or Trader Joes).

For example Safeway is having a sale right now on onions: ten pounds for ten dollars. Big whoop...ten pounds at Costco costs about four bucks. It seems like its always smokescreen stuff like that in the ads.

On the plus side Whole Foods let me stack some coupons there last week...so my $4 Yo Baby yogurt was only $2. Oy. Still, I stocked up.
#22 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I noticed that the poll was older but I didn't think prices had changed that much! Of course, 4 years ago, I just went shopping and didn't really ever look at prices... I can't believe I ever did that. I feel almost like a grown up now that I comparison shop. Also, I was just asking my husband how you spell Podunk. He said "I think it's just how it sounds", yup. Thanks for clearing that up for me
Please don't use me for spelling advice. I'm terrible. I also don't live in a tiny town (yet, we are moving a town of 1,700). I currently live in a town of about 80,000.

I just know my costs have gone up as a function of grocery prices, lifestyle (four years ago my kids ate 6 meals a week at daycare currently. I feed or pack all their meals), and appetite (a pair that is 8 and 5 eat way more than a pair that was 4 and 1).
#23 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I'm actually saving up for one of these right now! I'm about 2 weeks away from ordering one...I'm glad to hear you like yours. I've been reading reviews and it sounds like a winner. Have you ever taken yours camping? The one I want says it will collapse so it sounds like it would work well for that.
We have a crown berkey, so it's the stainless, not the lexan plastic that is often more touted for camping, etc (Berkey light).

That being said, yes we have taken ours camping. But one issue we had is we were camping at over 10K in elevation and the speed that the water filtered was reduced due to gain in elevation. Plus the creek water we filtered had more sediment than we expected, so the filters clogged up as well.

It still worked, but we honestly just take water with us for most camping trips now instead of hauling the Berkey with us as well.

Good to hear you can get rid of that expense soon.
#24 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
I have a question for posters here: Do stores do double coupons where you live?
No, and we don't actually have coupons much at all. There is no weekly coupon flyer, etc.

4 kids under 10
#25 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 03:30 PM

We live in a suburb just outside of Chicago.

We have recently decided to work HARD to pay off debt. Our goal is to spend no more than $100/month on groceries. Obviously, organics won't be bought often for the time being, but I just discovered our local Aldi has some good stuff, like frozen wild caught salmon for $3.99/lb. Some other stuff that looks good too.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#26 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
After reading everyone's posts...I'm re-thinking the coupon thing...would love to get stuff free! Probably a stupid question but...most coupons say you can't use them with other offers, so .50 cents off is the limit right? How does one get something for free?
You can combine store coupons with manufacturer coupons and then use them during a sale to get the most bang for your buck.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#27 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 05:28 PM

Some coupon advice....shop around for the right grocery store and ask about their coupon policy. Mine automaticly doubles any coupon under $1.00. I just LOVE .75 coupons! Thats where you get a lot of free stuff.
Also most coupons say one per product. Which means that if you have 5 coupons for spaghetti sauce you can use them to buy 5 jars of sauce.
The weekly sunday paper should always have coupon inserts. Its worth the $1.75 you spend. Also sellers on ebay will sell coupons (clipped from the sunday paper) in multiples of 10 15 or 20. I recently bought 20 sargento stringster .75 coupons. Found a BOGO sale and got them for about $1/pack. (they retail for about 5.99/pack)
Thats another tip- some stores will allow you to use 2 coupons for a BOGO sale. For instance they had Thomas English muffins BOG2 free and I used 3 $1off coupons and paid around 50 cents for 3 packs.
Internet printables are excellent too. Check out Smart Source, Red Plum, and coupons.com for all the latest coupons. Mambosprouts.com has organic coupons too!

And finally, most of the free stuff I get is from Rite Aid. If you've ever glanced at the flyer and threw it away, I don't blame you. It can be tricky. But once you figure it all out its an amazing way to get household and toiletries for free. You can stack coupons there like crazy!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#28 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 PM

Yes to what lotus said! Except I pay $1 for my Sunday paper, 'cause I get it at the Dollar Tree.

Most stores have their coupon policy on their websites, so start there. Master one store at a time. Every good deal that comes around will probably repeat eventually - don't freak out if you don't "catch" a great deal one week. You'll see something else eventually.

And yes, yes, yes to combining store coupons & manufacturer coupons. That's called stacking, and it's a GREAT way to save money and get things for free.

Call the 800# on the back of packages whose products you like. (I think I grammatically massacred that sentence.) Tell them you like their product, ask if they have a mailing list. It's a great way to get coupons sent to your door.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#29 of 40 Old 09-24-2010, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We spend $500/month on household (groceries, cleaning supplies, etc). I usually buy organic milk and some organic produce (if its on sale for a good price) and otherwise just mixed regular/organic.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#30 of 40 Old 09-25-2010, 02:27 PM

Wow. I have about $50 to spend per week, ( sometimes for two weeks ) and that has to cover groceries and household necessities. I have to depend on Wal-Mart and dollar store food, because I have to drive two hours just to find tofu. And I miss it! Coupons do me no good because even with coupons the brand names are more expensive than the store brands here. *sigh* We eat a lot of dried beans!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page