Anyone do Lowe's Build and Grow? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-25-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was in Lowe's today and they were doing a Build and Grow program where kid's receive a kit to "make" a wooden firetruck. It is really pounding nails in to put the pieces together and then putting stickers on. They gave us an apron, a merit badge, and a small hammer all for free!

Anyone else do these workshops? It was super fun, and DS did great, with a little help with hammering.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 05:29 PM

We've done a couple workshops and always have so much fun. One time they also gave kids a $10 gift card to give daddy for fathers day! I think it's great that they are doing this for the community.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:41 AM

Home Depot does something similar on the first Satruday of every month, my youngest loves it!

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

Old 09-26-2010, 01:02 AM

We used to do the ones at HD and Lowes, but had to stop because our karate classes are at the same time. But they were really fun when we went! I love the little apron and safety goggles they give the kids too.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 09-26-2010, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
DS did them for a while (ages 5-8) but the crafts/projects never really held up and *I* didnt want to keep fixing them. Its probably better if there is someone who knows about tools around and thats just not me. DS is more of a crafter and prefers 'art' stuff to assembly lol.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 09-26-2010, 06:07 PM

We went to our second one yesterday, and they had a real fire truck in the parking lot as well, which was great.

We'll keep doing them at least once a month as long as the kiddo enjoys it. To quote her: "It was the most awesome amazing thing I ever did!" Big thumbs up from us.

Ecstatic mama to our one and only Aurora (Apr 07)
Old 09-27-2010, 01:21 AM

We did ours! And by we I mean the guy made mine because I'm so inept at putting things together. I was literally standing there like um, uhhh, ummm and he saved me. A blast though! And we too had a firetruck to explore

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
Old 09-27-2010, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Yup, ours had a real firetruck outside too. DS was absolutely in three year old heaven! I am a bit bummed that we have to miss it next Saturday, but we will be checking it out the week after, for sure. He is still a little young to wield a hammer unassisted, but as a mama/son activity, it was perfect.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 09-27-2010, 05:27 PM

YES, Ds just went to his first one yesterday. He loved it !! Dh went with him and they built a firetruck. After the kiddos finished the project the y had a real firetruck in the parking lot. Big stuff for a 3 year old boy

Jess  SAHM to Daniel  (09/07) and Samuel  (06/10)and Katie Lee (11/11) we're with #4 edd 4/15 Wifey to my "geek" : David  for 14 yrs. ( 4/09 @ 19 weeks).
Old 09-28-2010, 12:33 PM

We've been doing them with Cy for a couple of years. He loves them and has my MIL sew all the patches on his apron They are a little easy to break but I think for him its more about the building than the finished project, ya know?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:51 PM

I thought you had to be over 5 years old? DD is almost 4 and would love this!

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
Old 09-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Haven't ever heard of it, but we have a couple of Lowe's around, so I'll have to check it out!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post
I thought you had to be over 5 years old? DD is almost 4 and would love this!
Five is the recommended age, but three seems to be pretty standard. I've heard of some Lowe's in my area not allowing two or under to have a kit even when pre-registering. Something to keep in mind if you have younger kiddos that will also be attending.

Ecstatic mama to our one and only Aurora (Apr 07)
Old 09-28-2010, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

My son is 3.5, and was definitely a bit young for it, but he managed and had a great time. We are definitely doing it again. I can't wait!

Old 09-29-2010, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
My DD loves it too. Although to be honest......(ahem!) *I* need something like this. I'm soooooooo not handy, and DH is absolutely hopeless!! One of us is going to have to learn a thing or two. I'm tired of calling a handy person over the most trivial repairs! I'm thinking about checking out some of their adult workshops, although they probably pressure you to buy a bunch of their stuff...

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 09-29-2010, 10:49 PM

Wow! So we went to the firetruck one last weekend and they didn't have the kit. They said it got recalled. But it sounds like they just didn't have it together. We made a puppet theater instead. A big dissapointment for my ds! They did have a firetruck in the parking lot too.....

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
Old 10-16-2010, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
We've done of few of those at Lowes and my kids (ages 3 and 6) love them. We're going to check out the Home Depot ones, too.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:35 AM

I keep meaning to do this. I'll have to look into it for next weekend. Thanks for the reminder.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little

User Tag List