~ October No-Spend Challenge ~ The treat is having money in the bank. The trick is keeping it there. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2010, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh, bad day all around. Had to buy a winter coat and the last few clothing items for DD8. We unexpectedly got the girls in for eye exams, so had to pay the copays--better than the full amounts of course, but DD8 needs glasses. Total amount: $100. Went to my parents' for a free dinner and to wash a big comforter, so also saved the cost of laundering a quilt, but ended up at Starbucks along the way as a treat/reward for the eye doctor experience. And worst of all, DH's grandmother passed away

Short-term goals:
No-spend days: 1/20
Grocery budget: $0/500
Weekly meal plans made: 0/4
Income from surveys/sales: $4
Daily save/earn money activity: 3/31

Legend:
No-spend day:
Planned spending only:
Unnecessary spending:
Practiced gratitude:

10/1:
10/2: (ate at home all day, completed a survey for $2)
10/3:
10/4:
10/5:
10/6:
10/7: (soccer sign-up fees)
10/8: (GS monthly fees)

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 01:17 AM

My key:

- No spend at all

- necessary spending (gas, food, car mtc)

- Unnecessary Spending

10/1-

10/2- $5.50 Sonic

10/3-

10/4- $146 groceries should last a few weeks (I hope)

Proud mama to : Nicholas James born 3/19/09
Old 10-05-2010, 08:38 AM

Glorious weekend, back to the office today. Grateful to have this job, but so very much looking forward to leaving it behind in a couple of months. Uber excited about the next chapter for our clan.

Kim

10/1:
10/2:
10/3:
10/4:

Necessary/in budget spending: 4/28
Do something to earn/save $: 4/31
Food: $106.14/$500
No Drive Days: 2/6
Practice gratitude: 4/31
Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post
And worst of all, DH's grandmother passed away
Sorry to hear of your family's loss Melissa; hope today is better.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:32 PM

Double post

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:41 PM

I'm a few days late to join!

a. Who you are
Jen, busy working grad student single mama to Cyrus.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)
I went back to grad school last month, and my income was cut basically in half. My budget went from "comfortable and roomy" to "tight but very much doable, with a little bit of room left over for small indulgences."
I had a really nice cushion built up in anticpation of being a poor student, but then I had to dump $3,000 into my house for foundation work before I could rent it out, then I had about another $1,000 in moving costs and deposits to move into the new place close to campus. So now my emergency fund is all of $300. I do have some investments, but I want to leave those invested. But it's there if I have a true emergency.
I not contributing to my retirement fund while I'm in school, but I am still putting a small amount ($50) into my son's college fund.
--I have my groceries budgeted at $250, but I'd love to get that below $200 this month.
--I have about $70 budgeted for restaurants, bars and coffeeshops. That seems a little high, though when I was a working professional I spent waaaay more than that in that category. I'm going to try to keep that number down this month to no more than $50.
--I can also spend a bit on babysitters (either $30 or $60). My sister and I swap babysitting, but since we both have our own kids, we can't do babysitting past bedtime. And at least once or twice a month, I really appreciate having a night out with friends.
--Need presents this month for a wedding and my nephew's birthday.
--I also really want to buy a pair of decent winter boots this month. I bought DS's winter wardrobe over the summer at clearance sales and thrift stores and this great consignment sale, so all he needs is one or two more pairs of pants.

So anyway, my goal is to stay within my monthly income and slowly build up more of a cash cushion, while also allowing myself to spend a little bit of money on grown-up social stuff, which I really need to do in order to balance out my otherwise crazy work and grad school pressures. I'm also going to try to sell a few things this month.

c. How you plan to get there
I am addicted to mint.com. It's really great seeing exactly where the money is going. Plus, I use my debit card for 99 percent of my purchases, so it's super easy.

My key
No Spend
Budgeted, planned spending
Impulse, Unnecessary Spending
Groceries (0/200 budgeted)
Coffeeshop, bar or restaurant (0/50 budgeted)
Lucky secondhand find
Babysitter (0/60 budgeted)
Sold something online
Finally got the winter boots I've been dreaming of!

Oct
1 ($2.50/$50 budgeted)
2 Spent $89 doing a stock-up grocery shopping. But I had a $75 gift card. ($89/$200 budgeted)
3 I've had a stainless steel travel coffee mug on my wish list for two months, but they cost $15. Found a really nice one at a garage sale for 50 cents.
4 On campus all day, remembered to pack a lunch.
5 Paid bills, bought a wedding present for my big sister ($80) and a birthday present for my nephew ($13) lovely glass of wine with my research group after class $8 ($10.50/50 budgeted) (mental health boost -- priceless )

Wish list:
--Winter boots for me! (This is actually edging into the "need" category)
--Two pairs of winter pants for DS
--Sunglasses for me
--Start on Christmas presents for DS (doctor play kit, stick horse, toy trains)

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:40 PM

Not off to a great start

October
1 - $4 breakfast & an afternoon chocolate bar
2 - $7 Silly Banz for the girls
3 - $3 snacks at swimming
4 -

1/20 No Spend Days
$14 Unbudgeted/Unnecessary Spending
Old 10-05-2010, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post
And yep, that's a $28 hair product on there...don't judge me, this is totally necessary!
We never judge. This thread is all about encouragement, not judgement.

What is not necessary for some is necessary for others -- I say this as a fellow buyer of expensive hair products. Because my hair is so dry it looks like a tumbleweed on my head if I don't buy the right stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia105 View Post
A full no spend just doesn't work for me, but I will really aim to cut down on things like eating out (one of our biggest downfalls).
Oh a full no-spend doesn't work for anyone -- except people in a graveyard -- so we don't expect that...we just call this the no-spend thread because that is so much more dramatic than the spend-less thread.

If you can get the ocassional no-spend day in there, we are proud of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post
Ugh, bad day all around. Had to buy a winter coat and the last few clothing items for DD8. We unexpectedly got the girls in for eye exams, so had to pay the copays--better than the full amounts of course, but DD8 needs glasses.
Melissa -- You should never count buying your children clothes that they need or eyecare against yourself. Some expenses are necessary and there is no getting around them. We're very sorry to hear of your family's loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
I had a really nice cushion built up in anticpation of being a poor student, but then I had to dump $3,000 into my house for foundation.
Ouch! That hurts. Welcome Jen -- glad you can join us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollysmom View Post
Not off to a great start
You are doing fine, Holly. October is a long month and the first few days of every month are hard to have as no-spend because so many of us get PAID on the first of the month. You'll get your 20 days.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm...my no-fast-food goal hasn't really kicked in yet.

02.. $5 starbucks
03.. $5 starbucks
04.. $7 McDonald's
05.. $1 coffee

My Goals:

1/15 No Spend Days
0/3 Let the Car Rest Days
0/25 Fast Food Free Days

Old 10-05-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingBlessed View Post
Sorry to hear of your family's loss Melissa; hope today is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
We're very sorry to hear of your family's loss.
Thank you both, we appreciate it. It was expected, and even a bit welcome (she was very old, very ill, and in a lot of pain ), but I'm sad for my DH. We thought we had a bit more time, and he planned to go see her on Thursday. I'm sad that he didn't get his last chance to see her. :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingBlessed View Post
Glorious weekend, back to the office today. Grateful to have this job, but so very much looking forward to leaving it behind in a couple of months. Uber excited about the next chapter for our clan.
Boy, do I hear that. I left my job in February after wanting desperately to be done since DD8 was born. Congratulations on getting there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
I'm a few days late to join!

a. Who you are
Jen, busy working grad student single mama to Cyrus.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)
I went back to grad school last month, and my income was cut basically in half. ...
c. How you plan to get there
I am addicted to mint.com. It's really great seeing exactly where the money is going. Plus, I use my debit card for 99 percent of my purchases, so it's super easy.
Wow, mama, you're amazing! I can't believe all you're taking on. You can do it!

I need to check out Mint.com. I hear so many people talking about it...

Quote:
We never judge. This thread is all about encouragement, not judgement....

Oh a full no-spend doesn't work for anyone -- except people in a graveyard -- so we don't expect that...we just call this the no-spend thread because that is so much more dramatic than the spend-less thread.

If you can get the ocassional no-spend day in there, we are proud of you.

Melissa -- You should never count buying your children clothes that they need or eyecare against yourself. Some expenses are necessary and there is no getting around them. We're very sorry to hear of your family's loss.

Ouch! That hurts. Welcome Jen -- glad you can join us!

You are doing fine, Holly. October is a long month and the first few days of every month are hard to have as no-spend because so many of us get PAID on the first of the month. You'll get your 20 days.
Prudence, you are so kind and such a good steward to your followers You really help a lot of people with these threads. Thank you for keeping this going for so long.

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Old 10-05-2010, 05:10 PM

Ok, I am officially subscribing to this thread. DH and I are four weeks into FPU and on Saturday we completed baby step 1!

Goals for the month:
Stay within budget
Don't use CC's
Sell / Consign some stuff to make extra $$$

Another big WIN for us is that we are canceling an expensive vacation over XMAS and using that $$ to pay down debt. Ouch, but yay!
Old 10-05-2010, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
= No spend or budgeted spending
= Unnecessary/unbudgeted spending
= No-drive day
= Had tea today
= Hung clothes on the line.

1. Ran errands. Forgot to pack snacks. Crashed with hunger and went to TCBY. Ugh! What a start. But . . .
2. $20.00 wine for party, $16.00 haircut for DH
5. $33.00 gas, 50 cents thrift store toy for DD
6. $4.92 at TCBY (unnecessary), $18.00 to replace items that dog broke (long story), and necessary, CHEAP groceries at $98.00.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 10-05-2010, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
We never judge. This thread is all about encouragement, not judgement.
I find that in these threads, I'm my own worst critic.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 10-05-2010, 08:08 PM

4:
5: $34 pizza
6:
7:

34/$200 eating out

Monthly pizza fundraiser for ds's preschool. Not necessary, but a good day for pizza since it helps the school.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
Old 10-05-2010, 08:13 PM

Melissa, I am sorry for the loss in your family. It's always hard, even when it is expected.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:26 PM

=planned, budgeted spending
=unplanned, unbudgeted spending
=no drive day
=eat at home
=packed lunch/snack
clothes= hung clothes instead of dryer use
= practice gratitude

01.. Refrigerator repair DH was unable to do. Boo. Paid the due monthly bills as per my budget. clothes
02.. Groceries as budgeted, plus apples at the farmer's market for saucing. (practiced gratitude after feeling sorry for myself for not being able to buy all the wonderful goodies I am coveting--that part is tough!)
03.. Bought beer for dinner guests, which wasn't touched. Bah. (didn't drive!, and our family day out was a 2.5 hour hike that was LOVELY!) Talked with stepmom about a possible per diem RN job I might take ($400 a month if I work 1 day a week...hm)
04.., PLUS the most exciting part: DH stripped some scrap copper wire and sold it to the scrap yard for $160!!! Now we can start our snowshoe fund (we both want a pair). clothes
05.. It's my birthday! So...we ate dinner out with some of the copper money (see 10/4), and with a gift card from my folks. I was also treated to lunch out today. So, I didn't spend a thing out of our budgeted money, and got a few birthday gifts of cash to put in the snowshoe fund.

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
Old 10-06-2010, 12:03 AM

Not so bad today. We were at home all day, where I worked and the kids hung out. Ate at home all day, and despite my stroooooooong desire to just have DH bring home takeout, I had him stop at the store to pick up a few items that let me turn some fish and scallops languishing in my freezer into a seafood soup/stew. I'm going to call today a no-spend day since we only used a bit of grocery budget today. I also made a strong effort to turn off lights all day, and I logged 2.25 hours of freelance work, with more to come tonight. Sweet! (Still have to practice some gratitude though. I tried earlier and then DD5 shrieked at me from the bathroom, and gratitude turned into grumpiness )

Short-term goals:
No-spend days: 2/20
Grocery budget: $9/500
Weekly meal plans made: 0/4
Income from surveys/sales: $4
Daily save/earn money activity: 4/31

Legend:
No-spend day:
Planned spending only:
Unnecessary spending:
Practiced gratitude:

10/1:
10/2: (ate at home all day, completed a survey for $2)
10/3:
10/4:
10/5:
10/6:
10/7: (soccer sign-up fees)
10/8: (GS monthly fees)

Old 10-06-2010, 03:04 AM

Hi everyone! I'm back again this month, but starting late because we were on vacation until yesterday. We had a great trip and now I'm back to cooking at home and saving our $$, things we didn't do for the past 5 days.

Who I am: Suse, former teacher, now SAHM of 2 girls, ages 7 and 4. Really trying to be frugal (not always succeeding), showing gratitude for what we have, and focussing less on buying/acquiring new things and more on living a full life, not a life full of stuff.

Goals:
15 No-Spend days
$500 groceries
$50 eating out
1 Costco trip
0 Target trips
$500 put in savings

I need to set a budget for things like gifts, this really got me in September and I was shocked to see how much I spent. I'm not sure how to budget for this, however. It is pretty variable.

5. Today was a spendy start but I think this covers all my shopping for a while. Pantry/freezer is stocked and veggies still coming from garden: Groceries $132, household supplies $62, vacation photos $10, gas $33, clothing/xmas $99 (including Costco faux Ugg boots for xmas presents for DDs ($20 each)

0/15 NS days
$132/$500 groceries
$2/$50 eating out
1/1 Costco trip
0/0 Target trips
0/$500 savings
Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 AM

My Key:
Budgeted, planned spending (includes groceries, gas, other necessary or well planned items- NOT impulse items)
No Spend
No Drive
Eat Out

Oct.1- Groceries, consumables, and gas
Oct.2- rest of grocery shopping DH and I had a date night, I think dinner was overpriced, but it was good. And DH got steak, which I never make.
Oct.3-
Oct.4-
Oct.5-- Gymnastics and Art classes for the month for dd

Vicki- Homeschooling Mama to 4 girls
Old 10-06-2010, 12:46 PM

This isn't as bad as it looks...3 unplanned spends but all under $5. Today I am off to buy winter boots for the kids.

1: $4 Tim Hortons
2: $64 gas, bus tickets, snack
3: $28 hair product
4: $5 Tim Hortons
5: $120 Groceries

0/$750 household account
101/$205 personal account
Old 10-06-2010, 01:17 PM

October
1 - $4 breakfast & an afternoon chocolate bar
2 - $7 Silly Banz for the girls
3 - $3 snacks at swimming
4 -
5 -

2/20 No Spend Days
$14 Unbudgeted/Unnecessary Spending
Old 10-06-2010, 01:28 PM

Rainy day here; grateful to have stumbled across some very cool (+ free!) paper toy sites. Never knew models of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre and a Frank Lloyd Wright house were available as paper toys, not to mention neat games, puppets, + kites. Wahoo!

Kim

10/1:
10/2:
10/3:
10/4:
10/5:

Necessary/in budget spending: 5/28
Do something to earn/save $: 5/31
Food: $118.74/$500
No Drive Days: 2/6
Practicing gratitude: 5/31
Old 10-06-2010, 05:01 PM

2. Groceries, gas, and $200 at the gardening centre on supplies.
3. and one more bag of clutter out the door!
4. Vaccinations for the dogs $200.
6. garden supplies (and that should be it!) didn't pass up a sale on cloth diapers for the new LO. Granted, I needed some new cloth wipes, and they were on sale. But I did not need the on sale AIOs .

3/15 no spend days
0/$400 added to savings
2/5 bags of clutter gone

Legend:
No spend
Only planned/budgeted spending
Unnecessary / unplanned spending

Mum to DD 9/07 and DS 01/11

Old 10-06-2010, 05:18 PM

My key:

- No spend at all

- necessary spending (gas, food, car mtc)

- Unnecessary Spending

10/1-

10/2- $5.50 Sonic

10/3-

10/4- $146 groceries should last a few weeks (I hope)

10/5- $29 2 pairs of new shoes for DS that will hopefully last til at least January (Feb would be even better, but I won't hold my breath).

10/6: (Gonna put that up now so it forces me to not spend today and I won't have to come back and edit it)

Proud mama to : Nicholas James born 3/19/09
Old 10-06-2010, 08:21 PM

4:
5: $34 pizza
6:
7:

34/$200 eating out

Old 10-06-2010, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

wow. Over $400 in one day. wow.

Little purchases but they really added up.

02.. $5 starbucks
03.. $5 starbucks
04.. $7 McDonald's
05.. $1 coffee
06.. $406 shoes for myself and DD, Christmas presents

My Goals:

1/15 No Spend Days
0/3 Let the Car Rest Days
0/25 Fast Food Free Days

Old 10-06-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
wow. Over $400 in one day. wow.

Little purchases but they really added up.
But think of how much less you will be paying out in December! We're plannign to start shopping for Christmas soon too, just to spread out the expense.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 PM

5. Groceries $132, household $62, photos $10, gas $33, clothing/xmas $99

6. Cruised online shoe stores for new Keens today....will try to wait 10 days and see if the want is still there.... So....NS today!

Goals:
1/15 NS days
$132/$500 groceries
$2/$50 eating out
1/1 Costco trip
No Target trips this month
0/$500 added to savings
Old 10-06-2010, 10:11 PM

My key
No Spend
Budgeted, planned spending
Groceries (0/200 budgeted)
Coffeeshop, bar or restaurant (0/50 budgeted)
Lucky secondhand find
Babysitter (0/60 budgeted)
Sold something online
Finally got the winter boots I've been dreaming of!

Oct
1 ($2.50/$50 budgeted)
2 Spent $89 doing a stock-up grocery shopping. But I had a $75 gift card. ($89/$200 budgeted)
3 I've had a stainless steel travel coffee mug on my wish list for two months, but they cost $15. Found a really nice one at a garage sale for 50 cents.
4 On campus all day, remembered to pack a lunch.
5 Paid bills, bought a wedding present for my big sister ($80) and a birthday present for my nephew ($13) lovely glass of wine with my research group after class $8 ($10.50/50 budgeted) (mental health boost -- priceless )

Wish list:
--Winter boots for me! (This is actually edging into the "need" category)
--Two pairs of winter pants for DS
--Sunglasses for me
--Start on Christmas presents for DS (doctor play kit, stick horse, toy trains)

Old 10-07-2010, 09:57 AM

My Key:
Budgeted, planned spending (includes groceries, gas, other necessary or well planned items- NOT impulse items)
No Spend
No Drive
Eat Out

Oct.1- Groceries, consumables, and gas
Oct.2- rest of grocery shopping DH and I had a date night, I think dinner was overpriced, but it was good. And DH got steak, which I never make.
Oct.3-
Oct.4-
Oct.5-- Gymnastics and Art classes for the month for dd
Oct.6- haircut for dd but it was a missions dinner at church so I am giving it a

Vicki- Homeschooling Mama to 4 girls

User Tag List