Does "special occasion" HAVE to equal "spending money"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I'm pretty sure the answer is no. However, it does seem there's an expectation (at least among my middle-class cohorts) that money SHOULD be spent at celebratory times. This is true even among my frugal friends.

It is my twelfth wedding anniversary today. I am madly in love with my DH. Money is not an issue, we have more than enough. We COULD go out for dinner, to a play, whatever. We do do those things on occasion; okay, we hardly ever eat out. But we do spend money on pleasure.

But I don't want to. I want to have a romantic anniversary and just not spend a dime. When I tell people this, they are aghast. I had someone tell me today I was "taking frugality too far."

What I want to do is take a long, long walk with dh; the hours-long kind like we used to before dd (who is a great walker herself, BTW).

That's it. We will pack thermoses of coffee and a bag of home-made cookies. We will talk and laugh and hold hands. We will make each other cards.

I don't really care what other people think. I'm just surprised by the reaction and wondering if I should loosen up a little. I just can't relax at dinner knowing the bill is coming. I'd rather do something free.
#2 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM

I don't see any reason to change what you're doing.

I probably wouldn't discuss it in depth with others though, unless they asked directly. We don't do birthday and anniversary outings either. A lot of times folks have offered to babysit so dh and I can go out, and I just say "Oh, that's so sweet of you. But "going out" just isn't our thing. We'll be home this evening, doing something fun as a family"
#3 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 10:47 AM

I really like your idea of celebrating!

People have trouble understanding because that is not what they would want or expect on their anniversary. Do what makes you enjoy and happy anniversary!

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#4 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I had someone tell me today I was "taking frugality too far."
to try to give them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the are thinking that you mean you aren't going to do anything at all when you say that you don't want to spend money.
#5 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sounds like a great anniversary to me. When we are at the inlaws they usually have the kids for a couple of hours so we can go for a walk on our own. It nice to be able to chat and so on, but the biggest thing for me is getting to walk at adult pace

We usually have a special meal, maybe something more expensive than we might otherwise. Usually it's things we don;t have often as they take a while to prepare.
#6 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 11:39 AM

Sounds like a great way of celebrating your anniversary to me. It's something meaningful to the two of you

Not too sure about this though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreemama View Post
I just can't relax at dinner knowing the bill is coming. I'd rather do something free.
How does your DH feel about this? Would he like to go out to dinner on occasion? Do you have the room in your budget to do so?

I just ask because I have this same problem. I have a hard time going out for an expensive dinner without getting stressed out by the bill even though we have the money to spend. However, DH is a foodie and he really enjoys the occasional (and I do mean occasional - once a year or so) really expensive restaurant meal.

I've worked hard on going with him on these meals and not saying anything about the cost and enjoying being there with him. I think you can take frugality too far if you are keeping your family from enjoying things that you can afford because you have problems spending money. It's something that I struggle with

I still think your anniversary plans sound wonderful! I hope the two of you have a great day!

Mum to DD 9/07 and DS 01/11

#7 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 12:17 PM

Happy Anniversary!

I think cookies, coffee and a nice talk sound great - if that is how you two want to spend the occassion. No one else is entitled to an opinion.

We've done everything from a vacation to dinner at our local bistro for our anniversary. It just depends on where we are that year and how we're feeling.

The only thing that strikes me as odd is what the PP quoted - the part about not relaxing at dinner because of the bill. Um...???? Is going out to dinner something your husband would prefer doing more? I think that if you can afford it, occassionally going out can be very relaxing and romantic.
#8 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 02:07 PM

I agree with fustian and ChristyMarie.

Your plans sound wonderful and romantic and meaningful!
Happy Anniversary!!!

When I read your last paragraph, though, bells went off in my head. You might want to explore that more. What is the emotional trigger for that? Can you acknowledge it and release it?

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#9 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 02:41 PM

We do more expensive dinners on occasion...mostly because we don't get much "us" time so it's only when we're spending money (ie: visiting his family) anyway.

However, I've found that doing something free or cheap can be just as meaningful! There is nothing wrong with NOT going hog-wild because it's X Occasion.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#10 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and well wishes, everyone!

To answer a few questions, I think I have my anxieties around the dinner thing figured out. I DID grow up in a really poor family, poor in the way of anxiety about not enough food. I think I do still carry some of that. The other part, though, is actually that I AM a foodie. I can't handle paying what seems like a ton of money for usually only okay food. Dh is less selective and just enjoys his steak and fries. FTR, he doesnt' really want to spend the cash, either. If he did, I would definitely honour that.

I do only share these kinds of plans when specifically asked, but this is still the response I get. I know we spend a lot less money on luxuries than most people I know.

I do think maybe I need to relax and indulge more and I wonder if the habit of frugality does end up making it hard to just let go of money. That said, I have a cashmere sweater on its way in the mail for me (on incredible clearance). This was a reward I promised myself for getting through a scary medical test I've been dreading for months (I was cleared, by the way).

I did buy him a card and some truffles today.

I am still pondering the question, though.
#11 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
A truly frugal foodie would have made the truffles.

I cannot stand paying for so-so food out. Hate it. Irritates me to no end. I would rather go out for one really fricking good meal a month than a bunch of so-so ones because we're awesome cooks.
#12 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
I cannot stand paying for so-so food out. Hate it. Irritates me to no end. I would rather go out for one really fricking good meal a month than a bunch of so-so ones because we're awesome cooks.
I know how you feel. I can't remember what we ate but I remember DH turned to me and said, "I like yours better" and he was kind of upset about having to pay for it...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#13 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies and well wishes, everyone!

To answer a few questions, I think I have my anxieties around the dinner thing figured out. I DID grow up in a really poor family, poor in the way of anxiety about not enough food. I think I do still carry some of that. The other part, though, is actually that I AM a foodie. I can't handle paying what seems like a ton of money for usually only okay food. Dh is less selective and just enjoys his steak and fries. FTR, he doesnt' really want to spend the cash, either. If he did, I would definitely honour that.

I do only share these kinds of plans when specifically asked, but this is still the response I get. I know we spend a lot less money on luxuries than most people I know.

I do think maybe I need to relax and indulge more and I wonder if the habit of frugality does end up making it hard to just let go of money. That said, I have a cashmere sweater on its way in the mail for me (on incredible clearance). This was a reward I promised myself for getting through a scary medical test I've been dreading for months (I was cleared, by the way).

I am still pondering the question, though.
This, since you said it, is the crux to me.

I think your anniversary plans sound lovely, but I also think if that comment struck a nerve it may be a sign.

This is how we worked through some of that - save up a pricey meal fund by being frugal/cheap on other things and then when you go to blow it, concentrate on how virtuous you were to get there. And also try to pick somewhere really, really good where it won't be blown.

My DH and I decided one year a while back that we were not going to eat out at all ever...unless it was a top of the line restaurant. We really enjoyed our 3 meals out that year. We did it right - reservations in advance, talked to the server and the chef, etc. Those were great, great meals. Just a totally different league.

(Although actually by then - I'd lost the guilt!)

Enjoy both the simple anniversary and whatever you decide to do next!

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#14 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, now I know where I want to go. There is a place I've walked by on the way to the farmers' market that I've never dared step foot in. I know they serve local food; but it's the crisp white linen tablecloths and lovely stained glass lamps, big windows looking right out on a bustling downtown street...

I've wanted to go there for YEARS. I like the idea of saving up in a fund. That should be easy, considering we have 38 categories in our budget already. I THINK I could enjoy this once in a year. It's just so.much.money to go out, but I do know experiences are worth spending money on.
#15 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 10:58 PM

I think both your ideas sound great. I don't think special occassions have to mean spending money. If you get married at the courthouse or have a $200,000 affair your married either way kwim? Why would celebrating it be any different?

DH and I had the greatest day together today. We went to the apple orchard, walked around the state park, and then went out for lunch (at a new place we were curious about), but I know we would have been just as happy with a couple of sandwiches and some of the apples. The part that was special was that we spent it together (kiddos at school) and that it was one of those great perfect early fall days. And frankly that DH spent one of his precious vacation days doing something just with me.
#16 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Depends on what you mean by 'spending money'. I love love love love high tea. It just rocks my world. There is a little tea house near us that does it. Our anniversary was less than a week after I gave birth and had a nasty hemorrhage. Not going anywhere. So my husband stopped by there the day before our anniversary and picked up their homemade lemon curd and scones and asked them about how to make some of their other stuff.

I got high tea in bed. As far as actual money spent--maybe $10 on an unusual food purchase but awesome times 50.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#17 of 29 Old 09-30-2010, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

It's nice to hear about others' experiences. Sometimes it feels as though every time we want to do something special, it involves money, like that's what defines it as a separate occasion. I'm trying to get away from that idea. OTOH, I don't want to get to the point where I'm actually afraid to spend money just for fun.

Unstructured time with dh, like what mnnice describes with apple picking, is I think what I'm craving most. I've always really enjoyed dh's company and conversation always seems to flow better when we're out doing something, browsing and walking around.

And I would LOVE to spend money on "high tea!" That actually appeals to me much more than dinner out. I'm a girl who loves her bikkies. And yeah, postpartum high tea in bed...sounds like hubby got that one right!
#18 of 29 Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 AM

For us, "special occasion" usually means dropping DD off at Granny's for a couple of hours!!

What we have done for both of our birthdays this year is trade in our Air Miles for movie passes and restaurant gift cards. We got to have a steak dinner, a movie (in the theater! LOL!) and even popcorn, without costing us a dime.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#19 of 29 Old 10-05-2010, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When I saw the title of your thread, I immediately thought, "Of course not, but we always do!" because DH and I are in the "foodie" category and love to eat out at really nice restaurants for birthdays and anniversaries. (DH also likes to travel, so that means eating out every meal, even if it's not at a fancy place...) But then I read your post and saw your plans, and got REALLY jealous. I'd love it if we did that. We love to eat, and I love that exploring a new (local) restaurant is our usual thing, but I'd really love it if we actually did something different and romantic for a change. The walk with cookies and coffee just struck me as something I would love for my DH to plan, more so than a surprise trip someplace with champagne and jewelry. (And I love jewelry! And champagne...)

Ignore the naysayers and do what you want. It's not for anyone else to like or dislike anyway.

PS - And yeah, I'm rambling (sorry) but if you have a restaurant that you've been wanting to try (and that one sounds really neat), why not treat yourselves? Even if you don't do it this year for your anniversary, just treat yourselves on a random date night or the next birthday. Just as you don't have to spend money just b/c it's a special occasion, you don't have to wait for one to splurge on a dinner you've been wanting to try. Build it into the budget and do it whenever it feels right.
#20 of 29 Old 10-05-2010, 09:59 AM

One year for my birthday DH got us tickets to be in the studio audience for a taping of a radio show that we both love. He was extra proud because the tickets were free, and he knew how much I'd appreciate a birthday gift that didn't cost any money.

Last year for Christmas DH scored a piece of computer equipment for free that I'd wanted for years and years. Again, he was extra pleased with himself that he found something I would love, and it didn't cost any money, which he knew I would also love.

I appreciate that DH considers my frugality when selecting gifts.

We often do very simple things to celebrate. We're big into picnics at playgrounds.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#21 of 29 Old 10-05-2010, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
When I tell people this, they are aghast. I had someone tell me today I was "taking frugality too far."
My response? "Hm. I'm sorry you feel that way. Just be grateful that this isn't your anniversary."

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#22 of 29 Old 10-05-2010, 12:22 PM

First great thread! Also, Happy Anniversary!

DH and I are frugal and your date sounded like heaven! I can remember even way way back like 20 plus years ago when DH was boyfriend, he would buy me sensible things for xmas, bday etc and he worked with a lady who said he would be better to buy me like a stuffed animal etc. Thankfully he never listened to such advice.

For several years off babies, nursing etc we spent more time in than out but now that our kids are getting older and leaving them behind is much easier and more of an event for them, we are hitting restrnts more for the date aspect and also supporting our local businesses.

Even in BC (before children) we had a frugal way of us. We still would do things that required money, but would find a back door way off having our experiences. Such as we wanted to hit a special restrnt that is $$$$, we might do a lunch. Great musuem? Do they have a free day? But there are rules such as, if its more of a pain and we have to do this and that to save $$$, its not worth it. But if we can make so we can save a few bucks, we choose that way.

Also, we wanted to take a trip this past year alone. Turns out, we had to attend a wedding on the west coast. We had childcare arranged so the wedding also became our trip. It was a few weeks before our anniversary, so we considered it our celebration of our anniversary too and after the weddng headed to another city nearby and enjoyed our time. Worked out well.

Of course, DH and I feel a vacation or special occasion to celebrate- the best way is just relaxing and thinking the hardest decision of the day is deciding on lunch. Make sense?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#23 of 29 Old 10-05-2010, 01:45 PM

I think your date idea sounds wonderful.
We would love to do that.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with eating out if that's what you want to do either.

We hardly ever eat out, but when we do, we really enjoy it....it honestly doesn't even matter how good the food is (usually). We enjoy any meal we don't have to cook, prepare or clean-up after.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#24 of 29 Old 10-07-2010, 03:11 PM

Perhaps your cohort are a bit more mainstream than you are? I know I get the looks and such from even my own family when I do not keep greeting cards and don't really buy them often. Typical cohorts of mine think a lot of what I do is weird. They can't fathom living without a TV or pottery barn furniture and all the other stuff of middle class existence. Sometimes it bothers me, those looks, but most times I'm thinking, hey, maybe those guys are getting a new idea based on what they see me do, and maybe it'll save them some money someday.

FWIW--your idea sounds blissful. That's about as wonderful an idea for celebrating togetherness as I've heard lately. Go you.

SMC to dd 4/07.
#25 of 29 Old 10-08-2010, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

It's fun to hear people's experiences with this idea. I do think it's true, the people we see on a regular basis more because they're classmates of dd, etc, ARE much more mainstream and, well, wealthier than us (at least financially). We were able to buy the house we wanted in a neighbourhood with a really great school because we don't have a car, cable TV, etc. We certainly don't feel house-poor and theoretically could buy a car; but for sure, we are less flush than most people in our neighbourhood. Which doesn't bother us at all, but may explain the reactions. It's true, we went to a party for a longtime friend and no-one would bat an eye there. Thanks for that reminder, it's easy to forget sometimes!

Also, I do not want to sound judgmental and that's so easy to do/be. I don't in any way think people are "wrong" for going out to dinner or whatever. I'd just like to separate in my own head the 'celebration' aspect of special events from this perceived pressure to somehow make them special by spending money.

We DID have our wonderful anniversary walk and realized we need to do that particular activity, walking just the two of us, regularly.

And now with Christmas coming, well, I actually love to buy things for dd. But I asked her yesterday to name 3 things besides presents that she was looking forward to at Christmas. She said making cookies, sleeping over at Nana and Granddad's on Dec. 26 and singing carols. Then dh and I did the same thing. We're going to try and focus on those traditions more, while still having fun with gifts.

I'd like to lighten up a bit, though!
#26 of 29 Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 AM

Glad to hear you went ahead with your plans and had a great time! Love the idea of listing non material things for Christmas and focusing on them.

I wanted to share my birthday story! DH and I were going through sort of a crappy time and didn't have a lot of money. He felt sort of bad that we couldn't do a lot for my birthday but really, all I wanted was to spend time with him away from our apartment (neither of us were working at the time...) We packed up a picnic lunch and went for a walk on a bike trail. Then we went off the trail and followed an atv trail up the mountain. It was only used during winter so it was just us. We climbed really high, could see for miles away, we saw this huge green field (was during early spring before leaves come out) that made me feel like Maria in the Sound of Music and at one point I lost my sandal in some mud and DH rescued it for me. It may have sounded boring and lame to others but we really talked and laughed together. It was awesome! It was the best and most memorable birthday ever and all it cost was whatever food we pulled from the cupboard.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#27 of 29 Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 PM

No, a special occasion does not have to equal spending money. Do what works for you and others will so what works for them.
#28 of 29 Old 10-10-2010, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I hear ya on spending money at restaurants. In theory I do love going out to eat (when we can afford it and have a babysitter, which isn't very often), but I'm a good cook, so it's often hard to justify. $25 for a steak I could make better at home for $12? Although it's almost worth it to hear DH say "Yours is better". Often we end up getting stuff I can't/don't make myself, like venison or duck.

Breakfasts are particularly bad, at least round here. It's not that hard to make decent scrambled eggs, so if I'm paying $12 for a plate I don't want them rubbery and overcooked. Nor do I want soggy bacon.

Anyway, yus, ranting now. I think it's admirable to have frugal celebrations if that's what you enjoy. Unfortunately DH and I tend to revert back to dinner and a movie, because that's what we did when we were dating (and less broke!), and we're boring.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#29 of 29 Old 10-10-2010, 11:52 AM

I'm going to threadjack just slightly here since so many people are saying dinner and a movie because it is what they've always done or a bit cheaper or whatever. With how expensive movies are now, check out comedy clubs! Really. Many times they are about the same (especially if you consider what you spend on popcorn) or just a little bit more and SO much more enjoyable (in my honest, non-movie fan opinion). We did dinner and a comedy club this year for our anniversary and it was such a nice change of pace.

Carry on...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page