Getting Out of Debt in October - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2010, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
...I need to get a clear financial picture about where we stand. We have some money in savings, some that needs to go into GICs, yet also used student loans for DH's tuition this year. I have no clue what's what, what's been borrowed vs. what's actually ours. That's my mission for the week. And from there I can actually figure out our priorities and put a plan in place. We've kinda been floating and saving, but not sure what for (or at least trying to save) since we moved. Our financial picture is currently fuzzy- very fuzzy.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can i join?

I would be in the pre-step 1 as we need to get current on our debt. This will be PRETTY hard as i am the sole income right now (hubby looking for work now).

I want to see how far i can get in reducing debt until March2011 when I (hopefully) get my yearly bonus. It would be wonderful to use the bonus to plug in as our emergency fund and then use the rest to pay down even more debt.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
Old 10-25-2010, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Checking in for an update, DH has had a few interviews but nothing has come of it yet We are going to go and apply at some more places today. My roof has now been fixed but the stupid insurance company still hasn't sent us our check so now I owe the roofing company close to 12 grand. We had a person come out to look at our furnace and it needs a LOT of work, they need to completely replace the pipes that come out of it and go through the roof. But the guy that is going to do the work is on vacation right now so he wont be able to fix it until after the first of the month. I guess that's a good thing because we don't have the money to fix it anyway, my parents and my in laws are going to pay for it, I feel so bad taking money from my in laws they are going to go broke trying to fix our house and cars. On a good note I have been staying pretty well in my grocery budget, we did spend $30 on roasted green chilies on Friday though but it came out of the grocery money and it was almost 60 pounds of chilies in the end so they ended up being about .50 a pound. That much chili should last us for a few months or more. We are still waiting for the money my MIL is getting for us to help us get out of debt. Right now we are just paying the minimum payments and trying to scrape by, so far so good I guess. I do have an idea to make some extra money though I was thinking about making and selling picture Christmas ornaments, I have a whole box of button making supplies so I figured i would make a few samples and put them up on display in my office and also on craigslist hopefully I can sell some, I was going to charge between $3 and $5 each depending on what I think I can get for them. Do any of you guys sell on craigslist? I have items up for sale but they never sell and I don't know why, maybe I am doing something wrong. So if anyone has any tips for selling on craigslist that would be awesome! Ok well hopefully all of you are having a wonderful day, best wishes to everyone and thanks for all of the support in this thread, its what I really needed to get moving in the right direction.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
mtm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright everyone, a few more days and we're done with October! Lets get our plans in place for November.

Brown Lioness, please do join us. Good luck to your dh finding work. Let us know if you need any help getting started.

Pogo0685, ouch on the cost of the roof, I hope the insurance comes through fast. You guys have been hosting murphy for quite a while between the roof and the furnace and the job loss. Time to kick him out. Good job with staying on budget with groceries, that's my weak spot. Your ornaments sound like a good idea, I wonder if your pricing is too low though but I live in a big city so it may depend on area.

User Tag List